Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A few questions about Raw Condition in Dublin 2?

• 29-06-2012 11:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

I went down and received a tour of Raw Condition recently and it looked great, before I sign up I wanted to ask if this is the best gym in and around Dublin 2?

I am male and interested in gaining strength and mass.

Also, forking out for personal training is something I would rather avoid. They said in Raw they do offer that, but I will also receive a personalized plan as part of my annual fee every three months and I should be okay.

Will being given a plan every three months be enough? Or maybe a one hour personal training plan every few months?

Can you progress well without personal training, surely this board's full of people who help others with their routine.

Lots of people seem to be worried about signing up for annual member ship with gyms in case they close down, is this something I should worry about?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

dusf wrote: »
    I went down and received a tour of Raw Condition recently and it looked great, before I sign up I wanted to ask if this is the best gym in and around Dublin 2?

I am male and interested in gaining strength and mass.

Also, forking out for personal training is something I would rather avoid. They said in Raw they do offer that, but I will also receive a personalized plan as part of my annual fee every three months and I should be okay.

Will being given a plan every three months be enough? Or maybe a one hour personal training plan every few months?

Can you progress well without personal training, surely this board's full of people who help others with their routine.

Lots of people seem to be worried about signing up for annual member ship with gyms in case they close down, is this something I should worry about?

For what your after i would put raw on the top of the list of gym in the d2 area.Im going to have a guess that you aren't too well in the know about weight training so go pay for a few sessions to get the basics right,it isnt a rip off service as the guys know their stuff!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

drdeadlift wrote: »
    For what your after i would put raw on the top of the list of gym in the d2 area.Im going to have a guess that you aren't too well in the know about weight training so go pay for a few sessions to get the basics right,it isnt a rip off service as the guys know their stuff!.

Things are kind of tight at the moment :(

Won't I get the basics shown to me when I sign up initially?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

If you're looking to build strength and mass you'll probably be doing a lot of heavy compound lifts, and you really want to have your form right on these from the start - they can show you them alright, but I'd think it'd be a worthwhile investment to spend some more time at the start really dialling them in. They can probably show you the basics alright, but it'd be a lot to take in in one session, and you'd probably need further instruction. (I wish I'd done this when I started on them, it's harder to correct a flaw later on than it is get it right at the start)

On the subject of Raw - I'm thinking of joining - anyone know if it's very busy in the mornings? Around 6.45am to 8.15?

I'll be living in Temple Bar, work off Harcourt St, looking for weights rather than cardio equipment, so I think Raw is probably my best option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭floggg

It's generally ok in the mornings, not too much hassle getting benches etc or waiting around.

Weekday evenings (save Friday) are generally fairly packed though so best avoided.

It's a good gym though - definitely orientated towards weights over cardio. Has a good range of benches and free weights. No frills like pool or fancy changing rooms but does the important bits well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

I'm thinking of joining here too

What's it like at lunchtimes, 12.30 - 1.30?

Cheers :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭Mack_1111

Small bit busy at lunch time but not too bad, you'll still get your workout done in time. Even in the evenings when it get's busy there's still enough equipment to go around. Mornings before work are okay to. Practically empty between 9 & 11 :) I'm there nearly 2 years and would recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

I train in the mornings and its good, bit busier during the summer but this morning there was plenty of equipment so you would be ok then.
    I haven't been in at lunch but evenings can get a bit busy as well.
    Dusf, i know they used to do something for new members where you'd get 2 30 minute PT sessions for what you wanted. Could be good to go through these to get an idea of what you're looking to achieve.
    But overall, great gym

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Even when it's busy in the evenings, I've still never waited around too long for a rack or bench tbh.

As for the OP's question; it's always gonna be a better idea to get some personal training. But most people don't have that kinda money. The awesome thing about Raw is the friendly vibe from a staff who know their shit. Get your 3 month plan or whatever and follow that. Coupled with your own research (which you should do online) and advice you'll get from (certain knowledgeable) posters on here, you'll be flyin'. I signed up for my second year at Raw last month and I won't be moving gyms when my year is up tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Went along to take a look yesterday evening and signed up on the spot. Very impressive setup, great selection of weights/benches.

The staff really stand out as being friendly and knowledgeable, such a difference to other gyms I've been in.

Was in there this morning for around 7.30 and although it was busy, I had no need to wait around for anything because there's just so much stuff there.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭singlesnights

I've never been a member of RAW but I've spoken to lots of people who rate it very highly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I'm looking to change gyms and I got a quote from Raw for €55 per month for 12 months plus a €75 joining fee.

Is it just me or is €735 per year abit steep?

I know that they have an online offer of €399 but I'd rather not pay cash up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

It might be steep but it is a proper gym.

Hardcore, no messing with people who know what they are one about.

Plenty of weights, racks, benches, KBs etc.

Class gym

Love it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

Raekwon wrote: »

I know that they have an online offer of €399 but I'd rather not pay cash up front.

yes its steep

why, is it you dont have the cash or worried they might go bust ?

yes its steep

A bit of both really.

It's more then double the price of my current gym but I'm having fierce trouble with them so need to get out asap.

I think the best thing to do is go for a 6 month membership with Raw, which is €249 online, and go from there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'm looking to change gyms and I got a quote from Raw for €55 per month for 12 months plus a €75 joining fee.

why are they charging a 75 euro joining fee ?

why are they charging a 75 euro joining fee ?

No idea, maybe it's only for direct debit payments?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

A bit of both really.

It's more then double the price of my current gym but I'm having fierce trouble with them so need to get out asap.

I think the best thing to do is go for a 6 month membership with Raw, which is €249 online, and go from there.

Just because one thing is cheap, doesnt mean another is expensive. Once again I say Ben Dunne has f*cked the industries perception of value

Raw is a great gym with good equipment, sound staff and members and has an awesome location. The VALUE you get there should be significantly greater than your current gym.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Hanley wrote: »
    A bit of both really.

Just because one thing is cheap, doesnt mean another is expensive. Once again I say Ben Dunne has f*cked the industries perception of value

Raw is a great gym with good equipment, sound staff and members and has an awesome location. The VALUE you get there should be significantly greater than your current gym.

Raw is awesome gym. The clientele is another thing to consider. Cheap gyms have a lower barrier to entry so more chance of bellends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Raw is far from an expensive gym IMO.

Well I've just signed a 6 month contract with Raw so I'm literately dying to get going :D
    Raw is awesome gym. The clientele is another thing to consider. Cheap gyms have a lower barrier to entry so more chance of bellends

Cheap gyms usually attract students or a much younger clientèle. In my experience the more expensive gyms attract the most bellends, Crunch Fitness being the perfect example.
    Sangre wrote: »
    Raw is far from an expensive gym IMO.

If you pay cash up front, it's not expensive at all. If you pay direct debt, prepare to get fleeced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Best of luck, you won't regret it.

Gym gets busy because of the limited floor space but you'll rarely have to wait for equipment. Monday evening is probably the worst in my experience.

As part of my fee the staff from RAW put me on a programme when I started, but it really took away my motivation to hear one of the other instructors there, and then a plethora of people on boards insist that the programme was all wrong.

I feel cheated.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Lassard

Can you tell me if it's packed Tues-Thurs from about 7.30pm onwards ?, my work hours are variable & that would be the most practical time to for me.

Lassard wrote: »
    Can you tell me if it's packed Tues-Thurs from about 7.30pm onwards ?, my work hours are variable & that would be the most practical time to for me.

I think you will find all gyms are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

A bit of both really.

sounds reasonable, Raw seems to be doing well, they offer a quality product and good service and imo are worth the "punt" ro save a few 000

Lassard wrote: »

It calms down a lot after 7:30 every evening. But, tbh, as busy as it gets, you're not gonna be left waiting long for most stuff.

Was the programme the staff put all of you on good then? Did you get a second opinion from someone outside of the gym?

The routine they put me on:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056721178

Was the programme the staff put all of you on good then? Did you get a second opinion from someone outside of the gym?

The routine they put me on:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056721178

I didn't ask for one cos I already had one from a PT. But surely if you're not happy with what you were given, you should ask one of the other PTs there. Or just pay attention to this post.

I didn't ask for one cos I already had one from a PT. But surely if you're not happy with what you were given, you should ask one of the other PTs there. Or just pay attention to this post.

I shouldn't have to pay for another programme in the first place, and I'm not sure how I'd explain to a second PT how I reason to believe the last one was full of sh1t.

It's hard to know what to pay attention to in the other thread because everyone's disagreeing with each other.

• Advertisement

I shouldn't have to pay for another programme in the first place, and I'm not sure how I'd explain to a second PT how I reason to believe the last one was full of sh1t.

It's hard to know what to pay attention to in the other thread because everyone's disagreeing with each other.

You paid for gym membership. Not personal training.

You don't go to maccyds and expect table service!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Danye

As part of my fee the staff from RAW put me on a programme when I started, but it really took away my motivation to hear one of the other instructors there, and then a plethora of people on boards insist that the programme was all wrong.

I feel cheated.

Maybe he / she did pay for a session with a PT though?

Regardless if they did or didn't, they still should have been given a better programme.

That programme is something you would expect from a young eager Ben Dunne trainer.

Actually I paid my monthly fee, and then the small fee to be put on a programme. I do not expect personal training, but I expect people who are supposed to be trained professionals not to put me on a routine everyone else I ask seems to think is full of mistakes.
    Danye wrote: »
    Maybe he / she did pay for a session with a PT though?

I don't think I'd refer to it as PT, it's just a quick session to get you started on a routine. I enquired about it when I was signing up, that is I asked if they would put me on a programme, they told me the small fee and I paid it.

Regardless if they did or didn't, they still should have been given a better programme.
    Danye wrote: »
    That programme is something you would expect from a young eager Ben Dunne trainer.

Yeah, I feel let down after hearing so many recommendations for RAW, and if I'm just going to be relying on programmes I get online and cannot count of the staff I'm consdering using the gym at university.

Actually I paid my monthly fee, and then the small fee to be put on a programme. I do not expect personal training, but I expect people who are supposed to be trained professionals not to put me on a routine everyone else I ask seems to think is full of mistakes.

Right in that case I'm wrong!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

Right in that case I'm wrong!! :)

Soak that in boys and girls. It doesn't happen often. Take a screenshot and frame it :D

I think hell just froze over.

ferike1 wrote: »
    Soak that in boys and girls. It doesn't happen often. Take a screenshot and frame it :D

I think hell just froze over.

I'll always admit it without hesitation if I think I'm wrong. I just don't tend to think I'm wrong often :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

I don't think I'd refer to it as PT, it's just a quick session to get you started on a routine. I enquired about it when I was signing up, that is I asked if they would put me on a programme, they told me the small fee and I paid it.

Yeah, I feel let down after hearing so many recommendations for RAW, and if I'm just going to be relying on programmes I get online and cannot count of the staff I'm consdering using the gym at university.

I think you need to stop moaning, that program might be suited perfectly to you for the first few weeks, the fact that you said you were in agony for 3 days after a few preacher curls and tricep extensions says that maybe your not at a level where it would be a good idea to do more advanced exercises, especially on your own without a trainer to watch your form. If she gave you a program full of deadlifts and squats you'd be on here asking us how to fix your back...

Mickk wrote: »
    I think you need to stop moaning, that program might be suited perfectly to you for the first few weeks, the fact that you said you were in agony for 3 days after a few preacher curls and tricep extensions says that maybe your not at a level where it would be a good idea to do more advanced exercises, especially on your own without a trainer to watch your form.

I'm not asking for it to fit perfectly, only for a good starter programme. Do you think it too much to expect a good starter programme when you join a gym, especially after you pay a fee on top of your subscription for said programme?

That's ridiculous, I was asked and told the trainer the level I was at before they set the programme.

If you deem the exercises I listed as more advanced then they should not have been set for me in the first place... by the trainer.
    If she gave you a program full of deadlifts and squats you'd be on here asking us how to fix your back...

No I would not, where have I asked anyone to fix my muscles? Also, I would have been happy with those exercises included because most people have said one of the major things wrong with the programme is that it contains exactly zero deadlifts or squats!

Also, you are the first person out of all who saw the programme to suggest it 'might fit perfectly', and I have no problem with my muscles being sore, but only if I am on a worthwhile programme in the first place!

There was much disagreement on what programme I should be doing instead, but one thing all respondents did agree on was that the programme I was set is dire.

At this stage, though, you've been given loads of great advice. Time to get on it. If you still don't know which advice to follow (though, Kevpants' post that I linked is spot on) just google "Starting Strength" and do that. Can't go wrong.

At this stage, though, you've been given loads of great advice. Time to get on it. If you still don't know which advice to follow (though, Kevpants' post that I linked is spot on) just google "Starting Strength" and do that. Can't go wrong.

Already on it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Except I tend to get it (from time to time)!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

I'm not asking for it to fit perfectly, only for a good starter programme. Do you think it too much to expect a good starter programme when you join a gym, especially after you pay a fee on top of your subscription for said programme?

That's ridiculous, I was asked and told the trainer the level I was at before they set the programme.

If you deem the exercises I listed as more advanced then they should not have been set for me in the first place... by the trainer.

No I would not, where have I asked anyone to fix my muscles? Also, I would have been happy with those exercises included because most people have said one of the major things wrong with the programme is that it contains exactly zero deadlifts or squats!

You said to her you'd like to "build everything but I'd like bigger arms and chest muscles" and she gave you an arms/shoulders, chest/back and legs 3 days split. Your arms were in agony for 3 days after your first workout (that means they are growing btw) but yet you come on here moaning about how bad the program is.

Would it be a good idea for her to have told a complete beginner to squat and deadlift knowing that you aren't getting personal training and have paid a small fee to design a program (and not paid to be shown and have form checked and worked on)? No, you'd probably hurt yourself.

Is it a good idea for you to educate yourself on here about form and diet and equip yourself with the knowledge to do starting strength? Yes absolutely.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the program she gave you (a complete beginner), in my opinion it might even be a better program than starting strength for you to follow for a few weeks till your body gets used to being hurt lifting weights and toughens up.

You said to her you'd like to "build everything but I'd like bigger arms and chest muscles" and she gave you an arms/shoulders, chest/back and legs 3 days split. Your arms were in agony for 3 days after your first workout (that means they are growing btw) but yet you come on here moaning about how bad the program is.

I'm giving my opinion of the experience I had there, the only person moaning here is you.

Again, need I really say this twice? I never complained about my arms being sore, I mentioned they were so, and in my last reply I said I have no problem with that once it's worthwhile.

I know it means they are growing, but thanks for sharing your expertise.
    Would it be a good idea for her to have told a complete beginner to squat and deadlift knowing that you aren't getting personal training and have paid a small fee to design a program (and not paid to be shown and have form checked and worked on)? No, you'd probably hurt yourself.

From what every other alternate routine suggested has in it, yes it would.

The show form for the fee I paid. You suggesting that the fee I paid does not cover a good beginner routine, only one lacking, and with the exercises in the wrong order, and too often per week which could lead to serious injury.

Is it a good idea for you to educate yourself on here about form and diet and equip yourself with the knowledge to do starting strength? Yes absolutely.
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with the program she gave you (a complete beginner), in my opinion it might even be a better program than starting strength for you to follow for a few weeks till your body gets used to being hurt lifting weights and toughens up.

Well you are the first person to have said it's a good programme, and I would put more weight in what the vast majority says rather than someone who needs the situation repeated at them to scale their comprehension.

All very valid and fair points. It scares the life out of me trying to get beginners squatting and deadlifting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Gary The Gamer

yes its steep

They don't let you pay with credit card upfront which was a bit worrying for me when I was signing up. If they went bust the day after I'd have lost it all.

They don't let you pay with credit card upfront which was a bit worrying for me when I was signing up. If they went bust the day after I'd have lost it all.

They only accept monthly subscriptions in cash, no receipt offered.

OH MY GOD THEY'RE UP TO SOMETHING!!! SHENANIGANS!!!!

OH MY GOD THEY'RE UP TO SOMETHING!!! SHENANIGANS!!!!

Nobody's suggesting that but you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭COH

Monthly memberships are by cash or direct debit.. You can have a reciept for anything you like

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

OP, you are not going to get what would be called a 'good' programme without someone overseeing you when working out, aka getting a personal trainer or coach. And if you are serious about improving your physique, getting really fit, or whatever your goals are, then you need to do one or both of the following:

-Hire a reputable trainer or coach with good recommendations (or join a club with one or both of these)

-Invest plenty of time in researching core movements like deadlifts, squats, presses, etc, and learning as much as you can as you go.

I would say it is (unwritten and unseen) policy in commercial gyms to give the cookie-cutter, one size fits all programme because if they weren't giving that out they'd be getting weekend warriors coming back to them giving out that they had pulled their lower back trying to lift 80kg off the floor on their first deadlift attempt.

• Advertisement
Advertisement