Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC EPC3925 "Bridging" Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Griffinx

Up and running successfully on a WNDR4500 and great improvements all around the house.

Thanks again.

Everything is working fine for me with this solution except when I try to vnc in from the Internet, it just wont connect. Ive forwarded ports 5800-5900 on my new router and I can vnc OK within my local network in the house to my new 192 address. However if I try coming in from the outside to my UPC IP address it wont work. This used to work fine prior to setting up this solution.

Anyone any ideas what I could try.

Thnx

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Have you set a static IP & opened ports 5800-5900 for it?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Have you set a static IP & opened ports 5800-5900 for it?

I set up a static and it didnt make any difference. I had already forwarded ports 5800-5900 ...is that what you mean by opened ports above?

Griffinx wrote: »
    I set up a static and it didnt make any difference. I had already forwarded ports 5800-5900 ...is that what you mean by opened ports above?

I found my problem, I never unticked the old Port Fordwarding that I used in my EPC3925...probably would be a good idea to add this to the guide.

• Advertisement

Anyone know if this procedure works on the new Horizon box...the WiFi is awful on it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Anyone know if this procedure works on the new Horizon box...the WiFi is awful on it
    Does the Horizon box have all the usual router features like DMZ? If so, then it should work.

All you'd have to do in that case is plug your router into one of the ethernet ports on the back of the Horizon box and assign it a static IP, which you will then add to the DMZ. Then in your router, you configure the IP and Gateway as instructed here by ED E.

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Does the Horizon box have all the usual router features like DMZ? If so, then it should work.

All you'd have to do in that case is plug your router into one of the ethernet ports on the back of the Horizon box and assign it a static IP, which you will then add to the DMZ. Then in your router, you configure the IP and Gateway as instructed here by ED E.

Yes it has DMZ...Ill give it a go and see what happens

Yes it has DMZ...Ill give it a go and see what happens
    Cool. Given that a lot of people are going to be asking the same question in times to come with the imminent roll-out of the Horizon box as an all-in-one, could you please post back if everything went to plan or not?

If you have any difficulties or questions, feel free to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If anyone I know gets their hands on one of them I'll try and get a few screenshots and see what we've got to work with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

ED E wrote: »
    If anyone I know gets their hands on one of them I'll try and get a few screenshots and see what we've got to work with.

There's going to be a lot of people looking for help on this as soon as they realise that the Horizon box is an all in one device.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    There's going to be a lot of people looking for help on this as soon as they realise that the Horizon box is an all in one device.
    They will let you keep your router if you ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

They will let you keep your router if you ask.

Nope
    They disabled mine ( still have it)
    And won't reenable it

Nope
    They disabled mine ( still have it)
    And won't reenable it
    That's unfortunate - you should check the Horizon thread, there are loads of people (including myself) who kept their router.

That's unfortunate - you should check the Horizon thread, there are loads of people (including myself) who kept their router.

How did you get them to do that....they tell me I can't have two routers connected to their network from the one house .

I rang them and said I would like to keep my old router and have the one built-in to the horizon box disabled. Was no problem at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

How did you get them to do that....they tell me I can't have two routers connected to their network from the one house .

I think the term they use is a 'non-consolidated setup', where the modem is not enabled in the horizon box, and so you use your own.
    The default setup is a consolidated setup with the modem enabled, which is probably what you got, so they disable your original modem when they install.
    Get onto them and see if they will reconfigure your horizon box.

I tried this procedure with the new Horizon box but didn't have success in getting it working. I could setup the dmz on the horizon box ok and I disabled the dhcp server but when I connected my own router there seemed to be some interference between the two. Browser sessions were timing out internet access was intermittent. Eventually I couldn't login to the horizon box at all and I tried factory resetting it. However this only resets the TV side and the router settings were left unchanged. There doesn't seem to be any way to reset the horizon box router side back to factory and I had to call upc to get them to do it.

The settings I used were as per the instructions above so I don't really know what to try next

I tried this procedure with the new Horizon box but didn't have success in getting it working. I could setup the dmz on the horizon box ok and I disabled the dhcp server but when I connected my own router there seemed to be some interference between the two. Browser sessions were timing out internet access was intermittent. Eventually I couldn't login to the horizon box at all and I tried factory resetting it. However this only resets the TV side and the router settings were left unchanged. There doesn't seem to be any way to reset the horizon box router side back to factory and I had to call upc to get them to do it.

The settings I used were as per the instructions above so I don't really know what to try next

What router were you trying?

What router were you trying?

I used the WNDR4500 that I had originally used with the old upc Cisco router so it was already setup as required

• Advertisement

Hooooold up, just remembered something.

The OP is incomplete! And I forgot to get it fixed by the mods.

24ae1-baby-facepalm.jpg

Post 1:
    Missing info, clears things up for people
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79612563&postcount=36

Post 2:
    VITAL part that I forgot in the guide.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79636806&postcount=38

@MODS: Add them to the OP please

@Griffinx: Check part 2

The whole thing could be clearer, might write up a new guide and start a new thread as a lot of this is outdated. If somebody can get a horizon box going I could include that in it, because its mainly them that will need it now that the 3925 has the feature enabled.

@Griffinx: Check part 2

The whole thing could be clearer, might write up a new guide and start a new thread as a lot of this is outdated. If somebody can get a horizon box going I could include that in it, because its mainly them that will need it now that the 3925 has the feature enabled.

Yes I had taken the static IP into account and this had been working fine with the upc Cisco router

I'm thinking about consolidating into the horizon box, has anyone been able to bridge to an external router with the horizon box?

I'm thinking about consolidating into the horizon box, has anyone been able to bridge to an external router with the horizon box?

No it doesn't support bridging.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 J0nney

Hi,

My broadband service was upgraded recently from 30Gb to 50Gb. They sent me a TC7200 to replace my EPC2425. I connected the TC7200 and configured it and it works okayish!

IT runs hot - supposed to be 18Wats compared to the 2425's 6wats. Signal inside a 3 bedroomed house is okay, but immediately outside the backdoor it’s bad. I connected the EPC2425 to the TC7200 to operate as a second access point for roaming, but having to use two (poor quality) cable modem/routers just to get decent wifi is not a good setup!

I'm wondering does anyone know if the EPC2425 would work on the new 50Gb service.

I'm also wondering if anyone could suggest a good aftermarket router to pseudo-bridge (ED_E's solution) to the UPC device.

And finally, could anyone suggest a good type N mini pci (internal) wifi card. My Compaq/HP nx7400 laptop currently has an Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG. I'm thinking of updating it with an Intel 4965AGN. The Intel 4965AGN seems very cheap, maybe cheap = poor quality product!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

I'm wondering does anyone know if the EPC2425 would work on the new 50Gb service.
    No it wont, its supports DOCSIS 2 only so max speed 30Mb
    I'm also wondering if anyone could suggest a good aftermarket router to pseudo-bridge (ED_E's solution) to the UPC device.
    Search the posts in this forum, there are plenty of recommendations
    Popular brands are ASUS and Netgear. Prices range from 50euro+
    And finally, could anyone suggest a good type N mini pci (internal) wifi card. My Compaq/HP nx7400 laptop currently has an Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG. I'm thinking of updating it with an Intel 4965AGN. The Intel 4965AGN seems very cheap, maybe cheap = poor quality product!
    Again, look in the Wireless forum for wifi card recommendations.

Thanks white_westie

Anyone have any luck bypassing the Horizon box and using their own router? If I could do this for wifi only I'd be happy

If you only want to use your second router for wifi then it should be easy to setup.

The only change on the Horizon box would be to disable wifi. However you could leave it on if you want to have two access points.

On the second router, disable DHCP and give it a static IP. For example if the Horizon uses 192.168.0.1 you could use 192.168.0.2 for a static IP on your second router. You could use the same SSID name as used on the Horizon and use a diferent channel. Finally connect any lan port on the second router to any lan port on the Horizon.

• Advertisement

J0nney wrote: »
    On the second router, disable DHCP and give it a static IP. For example if the Horizon uses 192.168.0.1 you could use 192.168.0.2 for a static IP on your second router.
    Just remember in the second router to assign itself to a different subnet than 0.x, like 1.x (192.168.1.1) or what you like.
    J0nney wrote: »
    Finally connect any lan port on the second router to any lan port on the Horizon.
    Your second router will likely have a WAN port so plug the cable into any LAN port on the Horizon box and into the WAN port of the second router.

My parents are getting the Horizon service next Wednesday. They won't be using a second router. Right now they have a Technicolor TC2700 and it's sitting by the TV in the living room. The house is a long bungalow so the signal is pretty bad down at the opposite end of the house in the kitchen. They don't seem to mind, as I've tried to tell them to move the router into the hallway (there's already a hole in the wall as the phone is out there and phone cable goes through it to reach the modem). There's nothing plugged into the LAN ports so it could easily be done, provided the hole is big enough for the coaxial cable to get through. The UPC salesman, though, told me the Horizon box has a stronger WiFi signal. Wasn't sure if he was using a sales tactic or if it's true. It couldn't be any worse than it is now, hopefully, but if it is, I'll have to recommend a second router to be placed out in the hallway (hopefully the hole in the wall is also big enough for an ethernet cable to crawl through, or else it'll be time to crack out the drill again!). Does anyone know if the Horizon box's WiFi is any better than the Technicolor TC2700's or even the Cisco EPC3925's?

Advertisement