Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chael Sonnen Vs Anderson Silva

Options
  • 26-06-2012 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭

So obviously we all want Chael to win but will he?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Plastikman_eire

Locomotion wrote: »
    So obviously we all want Chael to win but will he?

Anderson is going to beat Chael like a redheaded step child.

Sonnen is over confident because he had some success against an injured Silva last time around, but lets be realistic, he barely squeaked past Bisping. An injury free Anderson is going to smash him.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭alanrebelsw

Silva by ko...sonnen is some langer

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭reganreggie

i predict Silva by decsion. This fight simply wont live up to the hype

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭onlyasuggestion

i predict Silva by decsion. This fight simply wont live up to the hype

Might not live up to the hype but I can't see Silva winning by decision. If it goes his way probably an early knockout, if not we could see a repeat of the first fight.

What do people think of the rest of the card? Mike Easton v Ivan Menjivar should be exciting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

It's heating up.

Silva went mad on a media call yesterday. Article here about it for those who missed it http://www.mmafighting.com/ufc/2012/6/25/3116761/anderson-silva-explodes-on-chael-sonnen-hes-going-to-need-a-plastic

Really looking forward to this one, but unlike the OP I'm firmly on team Silva! Just got the love for the Spider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

Chael doesn't get knocked out so a decision is on the cards for me.

I'm a Silva fan but Chael always brings it, beating Stann set this up nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Based on the recent performances of both fighters, I'd give this to Silva by ko.
    Sonnen wasn't all that impressive against Bisping but in saying that, as much as Bisping annoys me, he is also much improved.
    I think Silva will win convincingly but there's always a chance we will get to see a repeat of last time........I'd never count Sonnen out.
    Either way I think it'll be a cracking fight and I can't wait for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,165 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Silva wins by........... whatever fashion he wants.

No way Silva is gonna give Chael the opportunity to do the same as the first fight!

it's not going past 2 rounds! I'll be surprised if it gets out of the first!

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭The Bored One

Really looking forward to this, quite curious to see how it differs from the first fight. Did Silva's injury really make that much of a difference or did Chael just have his number?
    And if he did have him pegged, as Anderson developed to deal with that?
    And very importantly has Sonnen learned some damn sub defence?
    I love fights that answer questions about fighters like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Locomotion

Don't forget Anderson has also had an almost 11 month lay-off between fights and is now 37 years old.

Sonnen has been training jitz with Vinny Magalhaes and you'd have to assume he's been doing countless hours of sub defence since that famous triangle.

Chael's never been KO'ed in almost 40 fights and he seems perfectly happy to stand and bang with Silva (and get the better of the exchange)

Kinda surprised at the +235 price on Sonnen. If nothing else, I see this as a 50/50 fight all dependent on whether Silva can pull off a submission

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭durano

Anderson pisses me off no end these days,I've a feeling that what Pele was saying is true(he's a beast when he's winning but a lamb if he's losing) and I've a feeling that there was no rib injury last time he fought Chael and that he just invented it to save face and degrade Chaels performance.
    People always said that his kryptonite would be someone with a decent double leg and that's Chael right?When was the last time Anderson fought a high calibre wrestler that wanted to take him down and hold him there,I'm praying that his numbers up,we're due a huge upset anyhow and huge hype creates huge upsets.

Don't forget Anderson has also had an almost 11 month lay-off between fights and is now 37 years old.

Sonnen has been training jitz with Vinny Magalhaes and you'd have to assume he's been doing countless hours of sub defence since that famous triangle.

Chael's never been KO'ed in almost 40 fights and he seems perfectly happy to stand and bang with Silva (and get the better of the exchange)

Kinda surprised at the +235 price on Sonnen. If nothing else, I see this as a 50/50 fight all dependent on whether Silva can pull off a submission

Terry Martin stopped him with strikes didnt he?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

Terry Martin stopped him with strikes didnt he?

He's been stopped by TKO twice. Once to Martin and once to Jeremy Horn. Both of them were doctor stoppages due to cuts.

I think the first fight is really flattering Sonnen's chances here. Anderson's "Kryptonite" used to be someone with super BJJ, then he beat Lutter.... his Kryptonite became a super wrestler, until he beat Hendo, then it was BJJ again, now its wrestlers again.

No doubt Sonnen can dominate with his wrestling, but will he? I don't think so. Silva will stop him.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I think the first fight is really flattering Sonnen's chances here. Anderson's "Kryptonite" used to be someone with super BJJ, then he beat Lutter.... his Kryptonite became a super wrestler, until he beat Hendo, then it was BJJ again, now its wrestlers again.

No doubt Sonnen can dominate with his wrestling, but will he? I don't think so. Silva will stop him.
    I wouldn't pay much attention to the Lutter fight,there was obviously something up with Lutter as he missed weight and his bjj hadn't been super for a good while anyway.And Hendo just uses his wrestling to keep it standing and we seen how chicken**** Anderson was against Leites.
    It's not like Anderson has wiped the floor with worldclass bjj artist or wrestler(who wants to use wrestling for take downs)-quite the opposite actually no?He ran from Leites and got dominated by Chael?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭The Bored One

I'm thinking that Silva is more likely to take this because of how they've both looked since, but I'd still rate it a bit more even than that. Yes, Sonnen controlled alot of the fight via his wrestling, but he also never really let Silva get comfortable with his stand-up. That could be attributed to the injured rib of course, or it could be because alot of the fights against Silva start out cautious, which gives him a chance to get his opponents measure.
    Victory by either Sonnen or Silva seems possible to me though. And whoever does win, will likely do so in a way that makes it seem like that was the inevitable result all along.

Shazbot wrote: »
    He's been stopped by TKO twice. Once to Martin and once to Jeremy Horn. Both of them were doctor stoppages due to cuts.

Found a pbp of the Martin fight, and It seems chael had a broken rib and retire between rounds.

durano wrote: »
    I wouldn't pay much attention to the Lutter fight,there was obviously something up with Lutter as he missed weight and his bjj hadn't been super for a good while anyway.And Hendo just uses his wrestling to keep it standing and we seen how chicken**** Anderson was against Leites.
    It's not like Anderson has wiped the floor with worldclass bjj artist or wrestler(who wants to use wrestling for take downs)-quite the opposite actually no?He ran from Leites and got dominated by Chael?

He played with Leithes because he didnt have any business being in the ring with him.

Leites most impressive win in his title run came from getting the sh.it in all manner of illegal fashions by Nate Marquardt.

Demian Maia isn't world class BJJ?

Also, he ran from Leites? Did you even see that fight?

The fact you called him Chicken Sh*t shows you have a serious bias here so no point expecting a balanced opinion here i guess.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Anderson pisses me off no end these days,I've a feeling that what Pele was saying is true(he's a beast when he's winning but a lamb if he's losing) and I've a feeling that there was no rib injury last time he fought Chael and that he just invented it to save face and degrade Chaels performance.
    People always said that his kryptonite would be someone with a decent double leg and that's Chael right?When was the last time Anderson fought a high calibre wrestler that wanted to take him down and hold him there,I'm praying that his numbers up,we're due a huge upset anyhow and huge hype creates huge upsets.

Sonnen, and he beat him.

Also, nothing was required of Silva to degrade Chael's performance...a drug test did that.

Can't wait till this fight is over I have to say.

Demian Maia isn't world class BJJ?

Also, he ran from Leites? Did you even see that fight?

The fact you called him Chicken Sh*t shows you have a serious bias here so no point expecting a balanced opinion here i guess.
    Jaysus,totally forgot about Maia,yeah Maia is worldclass and Anderson wouldn't engage with him,he decisioned him,just like the Leites fight,problem?
    I'm calling him chicken**** cause if that was the real goat he would've waded straight into the bjj's artists guards and made bits of them,like you know who,sorry if I hurt your feelings.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

Jaysus,totally forgot about Maia,yeah Maia is worldclass and Anderson wouldn't engage with him,he decisioned him,just like the Leites fight,problem?
    I'm calling him chicken**** cause if that was the real goat he would've waded straight into the bjj's artists guards and made bits of them,like you know who,sorry if I hurt your feelings.

LOL!!

How long have you been a fan of MMA, about 6 months?

CageWager wrote: »
    LOL!!

How long have you been a fan of MMA, about 6 months?
    I've trained ufc all my life brah.

He played with Leithes because he didnt have any business being in the ring with him.
    Where did you hear this?I'd say it had more to do with the way Thales submitted Pele(who is very similiar stylistically to Anderson,except tougher) a couple of years previously,Anderson didn't want the same thing to happen to him.

Sonnen, and he beat him.
    A lot of people think Sonnen dominated for most of the fight and that Anderson got lucky just at the end,what do you think of this analysis?

A lot of people think Sonnen dominated for most of the fight and that Anderson got lucky just at the end,what do you think of this analysis?

I think a come from behind win speaks volumes of The Spiders mental strength. Sonnen handled him for 20 mins and still couldn't break him, yet despite the clear psychological advantage Sonnen still couldn't find it within himself to fight the triangle.

There is nothing to indicate this fight goes any differently even if Sonnen is in control for the early rounds, or even most of the fight.

My own view is that Silva was too focused on subbing Sonnen, in this one I expect him to just straight smash him.

Both guys have questions to answer...was the rib injury true and did it really impact on the Spider so much, exactly how much help was Sonnen's test level to him etc etc.

I expect The Spider to win this, but I wouldn't completely discount Sonnen who is a clever and crafty fighter.

If Sonnen beats the Spider then my hat is off to him, it's a massive win to take out an undefeated Champion who has never lost in the UFC. I just don't think he will do it.

I think a come from behind win speaks volumes of The Spiders mental strength. Sonnen handled him for 20 mins and still couldn't break him, yet despite the clear psychological advantage Sonnen still couldn't find it within himself to fight the triangle.

There is nothing to indicate this fight goes any differently even if Sonnen is in control for the early rounds, or even most of the fight.

My own view is that Silva was too focused on subbing Sonnen, in this one I expect him to just straight smash him.

Both guys have questions to answer...was the rib injury true and did it really impact on the Spider so much, exactly how much help was Sonnen's test level to him etc etc.

I expect The Spider to win this, but I wouldn't completely discount Sonnen who is a clever and crafty fighter.

If Sonnen beats the Spider then my hat is off to him, it's a massive win to take out an undefeated Champion who has never lost in the UFC. I just don't think he will do it.
    So the only problem with Silva(besides the convienient "hurt" rib) was that he was too focussed on the sub?Cause what I saw was Anderson doing everything in his power to do damage and keep his hips back from Sonnen in an attempt to avoid the takedown,then when he got taken down I didn't see him get controlled but more like totally dominated by ground and pound and wrestlings positional dominance.
    But you reckon all this was planned so that he could get the sub?
    The fight is here if you want to watch again - http://www.bloodyelbow.com/

Also,the fact that Sonnen has been training exclusively submission defense with some very high level bjj artists suggest it might go differently no?

So the only problem with Silva(besides the convienient "hurt" rib) was that he was too focussed on the sub?Cause what I saw was Anderson doing everything in his power to do damage and keep his hips back from Sonnen in an attempt to avoid the takedown,then when he got taken down I didn't see him get controlled but more like totally dominated by ground and pound and wrestlings positional dominance.
    But you reckon all this was planned so that he could get the sub?
    The fight is here if you want to watch again - http://www.bloodyelbow.com/

Also,the fact that Sonnen has been training exclusively submission defense with some very high level bjj artists suggest it might go differently no?

Look, I'm not going to get stuck into a back and forth with someone who implies I am making points I haven't made.

This is a discussion board, I discuss things here. If you want an argument then head to Sherdog.

I think I've been quite complimentary of Sonnen in this thread and have highlighted that he does indeed have a chance to win. What exactly is your issue here?

Finally, what makes you think a guy training Submission defence for a while prepares him for a guy who has been a black belt in BJJ for 6 years? It might shore up some of the more obvious mistakes but the reason guys get Black Belts is because they attack in a manner that is less obvious.

Edit : Also, you keep referring to the rib injury story as convenient, how would you classify Sonnen's failed test?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

When conversations go like this it does my head in.
    Reminds me of all the Lesnar nuthugging that went on.
    I think the majority of posters in this thread are siding with one fighter but also keeping an open mind and not counting the other out......... A decent discussion can then be had.
    But calling the most dominant champ in UFC history a chicken, and saying he basically has no chance and discounting all his victories is really taking the biscuit.
    Most people are going with Silva but also taking points on board about Sonnen and realising that he does indeed have a chance. But to go the other way and say Sonnen will definitely win and not having a coherent argument as to why, is just counter productive IMO.

Advertisement