Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maternity Pads!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

I think I got away lightly as well then - at most I think I went through 2 packs of the extra heavy Always brand w/ wings. I brought one pack w/ me to the hosp & left the other pack in a bag at home w/ spare clothes that my hubby could bring in if necessary - turned out that bag wasn't necessary.

I think I had relatively heavy bleeding for about a week, then was down to normal sanitary pads for another week or two - I really don't remember it being all that severe, but perhaps I was just lucky.

After the first day or two I also just wore my normal knickers - *hated* those paper pants & found them akward & embarassing. I was sitting cross-legged in the hosp bed from the first night & never had any leaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

i got a few packs of the hospital ones today, flattering or what :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I bought those paper knickers but never wore them. I got cheap granny knickers from dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 midnightdream

Just something I found, get the thick ones! They look awfull and it feels funny, but I had 2nd degree tear and stitches and went to use Always after two days when bleeding got less, but it just hurts as there was no cushioning effect iyknwim so I went back to the thick ones (Mothercare) till stitches healed! HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

optogirl wrote: »
    Maternity pads are terrible - reminded me of the old Dr Whites - you are better off with ALWAYS with wings.

TBH, in the first week, the biggest most absorbent Always pad was useless for me, I found I bled a lot and the maternity pads provided were the only things useful for me. I only went onto normal pads after a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MintyDoris

Just wondering if the new batch of Mums could add their experiences?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

I still like the big green BV ones best, they're the most comfortable because of their breathability. Have almost run out of them so using alternatives and not liking them as much. I never really get on with conventional pads though. In recent years I took to using a menstrual cup, and washable cotton sanitary towels.

Edited to add the TMI part. Day 5 now and the flow is more pink mucous than blood, and not very heavy. Noticed that the flow was more in the first few days than last time. Think the fact that I'm breastfeeding is really helping to speed things along.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I used the Mothercare ones: although one of the midwives told me to get the BV ones. I really liked the mothercare ones though with the aloe vera. Although one pack of them ended up in the bin because that particular pack the wings were bent around oddly and there was sticky stuff on the pad itself and no way was that getting near my stitches!

I bled for almost 6 weeks after used the maternity ones for almost 4 weeks: after the first fortnight just at night though. Just used Always after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

I found the tesco one's awful. I ended up getting the green one's off the hospital. You can get them in chemists and they are big but good! :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Little My wrote: »
    Also was suggested that adhesive can catch on stitches.

Good God! My vagina just shrivelled up and died as I read that!:eek:

I bought the Optimama Organic ones as sanitary towels tend to irritate me so I'm hoping that the chemical 'free' ones will help me avoid an itchy rash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

I'm sick of the whole lot of them. I'd be quite happy never seeing any sort of S.T ever ever again! :)

i agree Gee G :)

i used the lovely green hospital ones for the 1st 2 weeks and im using the tesco maternity ones now or the black kotex ones, i was told by phn as i had alot of stitches not to use always as they have been know to rip stitches, and i have a few packs of them here that i had pre bought, ah they wont go astray i suppose :)

i agree Gee G :)

i used the lovely green hospital ones for the 1st 2 weeks and im using the tesco maternity ones now or the black kotex ones, i was told by phn as i had alot of stitches not to use always as they have been know to rip stitches, and i have a few packs of them here that i had pre bought, ah they wont go astray i suppose :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Just in case anyone hasn't mentioned it the green proper maternity pads have no sticky backing on them. Used the Tena night pads for the heaviest flow straight after birth, they were ridiculously cushiony and really made a difference. When the flow got light enough I used the boots own pads and the always night. I'd highly recommend the Tena night pads for that extra comfort level if you get stitches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Oh yes something I forgot to mention, apart from Always not being absorbent enough at the start, even after that, I found them too "plasticky", irritating to the stitches, and also I always felt "clammy" using those pads. I had to use a completely different brand. (Vania, don't know if it exists in Ireland)

Advertisement