Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maternity Pads!!

Options
  • 25-06-2012 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭

Hi girls!!
    Im just getting ready to pack my hospital bag and Id love to hear your opinions on the best maternity pads to get. Is there ones with wings available?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

pushkii wrote: »
    Hi girls!!
    Im just getting ready to pack my hospital bag and Id love to hear your opinions on the best maternity pads to get. Is there ones with wings available?

Mothercare have them... they're the ones I got anyway. As to if they're any good: no clue for another fortnight I'd say :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I never bought any special maternity pads, pads designed for really heavy periods are perfect for the job. If the black Kotex ones are good enough for the hospital I attended, that's a recommendation!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭DollyB

The BV ones can be got in most chemists they look good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Maternity pads are terrible - reminded me of the old Dr Whites - you are better off with ALWAYS with wings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

You want the hospital grade ones, which are green, for the first few days. Most pharmacies stock them. I found the boots ones rubbish. After the first few days you can use ordinary sanitary towels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Can only speak for Holles st but they provide all pads first few days. They sent me home with a pack with my 2 deliveries too. I just asked for them. By then it had eased off enough to use the always nighttime and I'd double up if things got bad. Was rare though - you'd just change them more frequently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

I got the green hospital grade ones in a pharmacy on Talbot St, they were great, and necessary for the first week or so. Once things eased off a bit I used normal pads, but I preferred the maternity pads, they were softer and less irritating than others. When you're wearing them all day every day for 6 weeks it makes a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭0ctober

Are those green ones you get in the pharmacy the "Tena" brand? They seem to be the only ones my pharmacy has.

No these are the hospital standard ones. They usually have them behind the counter so ask your pharmacist.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭0ctober

No these are the hospital standard ones. They usually have them behind the counter so ask your pharmacist.

Ok great thanks. How many packets do you need? Sorry clueless first timer! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

i got some of the tesco ones and i also bought some of the night always (blue packet) my cousin said she used them, guess we will find out soon enough :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

You want the hospital grade ones, which are green, for the first few days. Most pharmacies stock them. I found the boots ones rubbish. After the first few days you can use ordinary sanitary towels.

+1 for this, they're huge, they look like you could comfortably sleep on them :pac: but that's what you want tbh.. You will bleed A LOT!!

I went through a full pack of these within a couple of days after having my C Section..

I'd buy 5 packs because it'll save you having to go get more. I'd rather have too many than not enough. I used 3 at a time at the start. It's not as icky as you might think but you are bleeding a lot and you don't want to leak.

Also I don't think the coombe gave them out for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I'd buy 5 packs because it'll save you having to go get more. I'd rather have too many than not enough. I used 3 at a time at the start. It's not as icky as you might think but you are bleeding a lot and you don't want to leak.

Also I don't think the coombe gave them out for free.

:eek: Oh. God.

I must go buy more I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

I'd err on the side of too many. I bought the ultra thin tesco ones and the night time regular towels. Useless! Was totally unprepared for the bleeding and regular ones in my experience didn't cut the mustard at all.
    Hospital grade ones all the way for softness and the absorbency required for post delivery bleeding. Don't think they come with wings but honestly, you won't care once they are soft and comfortable and won't leak! :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I got some Mothercare ones, and some Tena night time ones for the first week or so, the Tena are bigger but not as bulky, they're a lot wider too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

Definately bring two or three packs with you to hospital. I bought one pack of tesco maternity pads with me, and even tho I didn't have a huge amount of blood loss or anything you just want to freshen it up very regularly. I had a second pack at home, but I Cldnt even give himself an indication of where they might be!
    I used the hospital green ones for the first few days because they were nice and padded and when my own ran out. I felt my stitches had a bit more protection.

Apparently in the states you can get pads with witch hazel already on them. Maybe someone might know if they r available here or not

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Hospital grade ones it is then!! Good to hear people's experience of it.

Is it mothercare you get them?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭holidaygirl

I've never seen them in Mothercare, just there own brand one's most chemist stock them, I got them online form. I had an emergency section of my first and found them great for an extra bit of padding over the scar area. http://www.buy4now.ie/sammccauley/aspx/shopping.aspx?loc=C&catid=8.20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I used the Boots ones & found them fine, I only needed 2 packs then I used normal Always towel.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

The doctor in Galway hospital recommended not to use ones with plastic backing / adhesive as you need ones that breathe. Also was suggested that adhesive can catch on stitches.

Chances are, you will need way more than you think you need. Make sure your partner / husband / friends knows where to get them.

I bled for *ages* and found the green ones were the only ones you begin with, even the size of them provided a level of padding and comfort when sitting. Moved on to Tesco maternity pads as they were the only ones without wings. I hate wings.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Fran79

Reading here I got away very lightly (no pun intended).

I think I only used 2 packs of tesco own brand after my first son. Admittedly I didn't have any stitches so perhaps that made a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Fran79 wrote: »
    Reading here I got away very lightly (no pun intended).

I think I only used 2 packs of tesco own brand after my first son. Admittedly I didn't have any stitches so perhaps that made a difference?

Same here. While in hospital I was given all the pads I needed, then used a pack and a half of the maternity pads I got from the pharmacy. Bled for 2 weeks and it was fairly light when I left the hospital 2 days after giving birth.
    I had a load of stitches so I don't think that makes a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭pushkii

Thanks girls, i got tena pull up nappy type things and a few tesco ones but by the sounds of it the hospital green ones seem to be the best. Think ill get a pack of them too :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭cch

tena pull up nappy type things

What on earth are these?!
    Another vote here for the big green hospital pads, a little bit of padding when sitting on stitches, ah... Boots ones were useless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

tena pull up nappy type things

Incontinence pants (aka adult nappies)? I don't think those would be good at all, I felt much more comfortable with breatheable cotton pants and the BV pads.

Found the Tesco ones ok but everything else that I tried was uncomfortable. Then again, I get 'irritation' from a lot of the popular brands so I'm maybe an extreme case.

I also used washable organic cotton pads and found them great, but I realise that not everyone would be comfortable using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭pushkii

I only got those nappy things as they were half price and they would do for immediately after delivery. Won't have to worry about the pads moving.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The mother Care aloe Vera ones are comfortable,I hated the green hospital ones.
    Kotex/always will be useless.
    Also buying the paper knickers is worth it for the 1st few days too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

God, I must have been lucky:eek: After both my deliveries (one section, one natural with stitches), the black kotex ones were grand. Admittedly, straight after delivery I had to wear two but I wasn't going anywhere anyway! The only pads I saw in my hospital were the kotex!

I never used the paper knickers either - just got the cheapest ones in Penneys and dumped them. I sent my mother-in-law out for more and she came back with 25 pairs! (They were €2 for 5). I got use out of them for number two!

Advertisement