Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Gear] The New Garmin Swim Only Watch

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

910XT 2HL015004 returned today. It only fogged once and the fogging wasn't major as I could still read the display. However, the fact that it hangs or crashes every other swim drove me soft so it has been returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

pgibbo wrote: »
    910XT 2HL015004 returned today. It only fogged once and the fogging wasn't major as I could still read the display. However, the fact that it hangs or crashes every other swim drove me soft so it has been returned.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 910 was unveiled at Kona last year, and hit shelves here around Christmas?? So this product has been on the market for a year, and is still boll*x? Cracking job from Garmin right there. I'll be hanging onto my 310 until she dies, and praying that doesn't happen for some time!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

BTH wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 910 was unveiled at Kona last year, and hit shelves here around Christmas?? So this product has been on the market for a year, and is still boll*x? Cracking job from Garmin right there. I'll be hanging onto my 310 until she dies, and praying that doesn't happen for some time!

yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

pgibbo wrote: »

Are you sending it to Garmin UK / Europe or back to base?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Larry Brent

910xt 2HL057948 - has not once fogged in 6 months use mainly running, odd cycle and pool swim, been out in temps ranging from -10 to 40degrees, in daylight and darkness. Great watch. Bought on amazon.ca

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Mine fogged properly for the first time the other night. Had it on my wrist indoor s for a few mins. Then hit the road in circa 2-3 degrees and raining. Screen fogged completely but ok again after a few minutes. No biggie. Pretty poor fault for a 400 euro "swim" capable watch! Still a great piece of kit. Fault not enough to have me send it back 5 times. Santa wishlist has a Casio Protrek which of lands, I can see being used for runs over the Garmin :rolleyes:

Mine fogged properly for the first time the other night. Had it on my wrist indoor s for a few mins. Then hit the road in circa 2-3 degrees and raining. Screen fogged completely but ok again after a few minutes. No biggie. Pretty poor fault for a 400 euro "swim" capable watch! Still a great piece of kit. Fault not enough to have me send it back 5 times. Santa wishlist has a Casio Protrek which of lands, I can see being used for runs over the Garmin :rolleyes:

They did in two ways.

One is changes from hot to cold. It's shockingly bad but you can live with it. The watch will cool down and the fogging dissipate, just as you experienced.

The second way is direct sunlight. No temperature changes and it does not clear until you move into the shade. All my watches have gone back for this.

The last three hours of a seven hit ride were unreadable because of this.

Today's 50 minute run had four minutes of clear screen. I want to read my screen when i want.

On a sunny cool day around noon or your watch outside with the screen facing the sun. I bet you that you can't read the screen after ten minutes.

I've a long email from someone else higher up in garmin but I'm not talking yet. Once i have my refund then I'll tell them

In my life owned 8 garmins.

One 310xt that wouldn't hold the time when turned off. Swapped out.

One 310xt that i regret selling.

One garmin swim that i returned after a day add it fogged up walking to the shops.

Five 910xts, none of them fit for purpose. To be clear i could, at this stage, tolerate a few minutes of giving sure to temperature change but not hours of fogging due to sunlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Are you sending it to Garmin UK / Europe or back to base?

Posted to Southampton.

@BTH - I bought mine back in February and it was fine until around June timeframe. I just didn't get off my ar$e to send it back sooner. I did however upgrade to all the latest software releases and did a master reset. It worked fine for a few swims and then the hanging started again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

My 910 is great, just saying!

My 910 is great, just saying!

1:4x for the 100s
    1:27 for the 100s

Just saying

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

tunney wrote: »
    1:4x for the 100s
    1:27 for the 100s

Just saying

4.08 w/kg
    3.55 w/kg

Just saying

4.08 w/kg
    3.55 w/kg

Just saying

5 foot 10
    5 foot 2

Just saying

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

tunney wrote: »
    5 foot 10
    5 foot 2

Just saying

So now we know who can pee higher :rolleyes:

I emailed Garmin Support yesterday to tell them that their replacement was no better than any of my other failed units and that it fogged up after 4 minutes and remained fogged for 35 minutes in my 50 minute run. Seemingly not being able to read a screen is "expected"

"As stated condensation can occur on devices and it does appear to have cleared after the temperature regulated, as opposed to previously when it was lasting for hours, so although it can be an annoyance would appear to be working. I will be happy to book this in for a replacement again, but we are only able to replace it with a like for like model, as we did previously."

My response to this helpful email

"I am sure if I went cycling with this unit for a few hours it would then remain fogged for hours. The fogging didn't disappear because of "temperature regulation" it disappeared because I moved out of the sunlight and into some woods. Avoiding sunlight is not a feasible option really.

At this stage I am unsure as to what to do. I don't believe that the 910xt, as a result of the manufacturing process, is of merchantable quality and I don't believe that I will ever get one that is fit for purpose."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

garmin return the money pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

peter from sunny Ireland

Advertisement