Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Gear] The New Garmin Swim Only Watch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Wonder will these ones be actually waterproof

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

There seems to be a lot in it that I hope they'll backport to the 910XT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

I used a Garmin Swim for the first time today. No way I'm going to improve or add to a DC Rainmaker review, but FWIW here's my initial thoughts:

Straight out of the box, its very easy and intuitive to set up. It can be worn as a normal watch, doesn't look too big, and the screen is easy to read. Set the time and date, entered my weight, set the pool to 25m, and that's all the set-up required. I didn't notice wearing it while swimming, and it seemed to mark each length correctly. I paused it once, and thought I hit the start button again, but must have missed that, will listen out for the "beep" in future. Reading the display, while easy to read, necessitates bending your arm, and thus interrupting your stroke. Pausing it makes the screen read "Pause", rather than displaying your stopped data, although there is probably a way to scroll and read your paused data.

Seamless synch to Garmin Connect via the Ant+ stick, and a good lot of data and charts which I can measure progress on. I bought this watch to stop me counting laps during the long swims, and to measure the progress over time for the short sessions. I'm very happy with it (early days yet), and glad I didn't fork out for the 910xt. Reckon it will be an invaluable training tool.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    I used a Garmin Swim for the first time today. No way I'm going to improve or add to a DC Rainmaker review, but FWIW here's my initial thoughts:

Straight out of the box, its very easy and intuitive to set up. It can be worn as a normal watch, doesn't look too big, and the screen is easy to read. Set the time and date, entered my weight, set the pool to 25m, and that's all the set-up required. I didn't notice wearing it while swimming, and it seemed to mark each length correctly. I paused it once, and thought I hit the start button again, but must have missed that, will listen out for the "beep" in future. Reading the display, while easy to read, necessitates bending your arm, and thus interrupting your stroke. Pausing it makes the screen read "Pause", rather than displaying your stopped data, although there is probably a way to scroll and read your paused data.

Seamless synch to Garmin Connect via the Ant+ stick, and a good lot of data and charts which I can measure progress on. I bought this watch to stop me counting laps during the long swims, and to measure the progress over time for the short sessions. I'm very happy with it (early days yet), and glad I didn't fork out for the 910xt. Reckon it will be an invaluable training tool.

just don't try and wear it in the cold outside.

tunney wrote: »
    just don't try and wear it in the cold outside.

Because of those fogging issues you've been having? I placed it in the fridge earlier for 20 mins, then put it in direct sunlight at a window, didn't get any fogging, crystal clear display. I've worn it outside for a couple of days, in the cold, without issue. Time will tell I suppose- but so far so good.

• Advertisement

Because of those fogging issues you've been having? I placed it in the fridge earlier for 20 mins, then put it in direct sunlight at a window, didn't get any fogging, crystal clear display. I've worn it outside for a couple of days, in the cold, without issue. Time will tell I suppose- but so far so good.

wear it directly on your wrist (heat from arm warms inside) have screen exposed when cycling/running/walking. Happens everytime for me. (Around 3 degrees celcius)

wear it directly on your wrist (heat from arm warms inside) have screen exposed when cycling/running/walking. Happens everytime for me. (Around 3 degrees celcius)

I wore it on tonights run, pretty cold out and left the watch exposed. There weren't any fogging issues. There's a stopwatch function- very basic "start-stop", but it does the job. This was clearly visible with only the smallest amount of ambient street light (I ran backroads without a headtorch). The backlight doesn't seem to function in stopwatch mode, however.

I wore it on tonights run, pretty cold out and left the watch exposed. There weren't any fogging issues. There's a stopwatch function- very basic "start-stop", but it does the job. This was clearly visible with only the smallest amount of ambient street light (I ran backroads without a headtorch). The backlight doesn't seem to function in stopwatch mode, however.

Must just be me then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Mine fogged on my run last Saturday. I could still read the display so not all bad. It's still going back once I get to the Post Office :D

pgibbo wrote: »
    Mine fogged on my run last Saturday. I could still read the display so not all bad. It's still going back once I get to the Post Office :D

Garmin 910xt or Garmin Swim?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

910xt

pgibbo wrote: »
    910xt

Going to get harder to replicate the problem as the angle of the sun changes and the intensity too.

That being said I have returned 4 Garmin 910xts and 1 Garmin Swim since June. Almost like a hobby now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Go on admit it, you're actually a product tester for Garmin, aren't you? :)

Go on admit it, you're actually a product tester for Garmin, aren't you? :)

I've done product tester for a major brand but its not Garmin :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I've done product tester for a major brand but its not Garmin :)

Testing McDonalds happy meals and a very good tester he was as well. Took the job very seriously.

Thats why we call him McChunky.

"SWOLF"- a garmin function such that f(SWOLF)=average{time in seconds for length+number of strokes taken}.

Anyone got an idea on the usefulness of using this as an indicator of progression?

As you get faster per length if you stroke count is the same your SWOLF will decrease.

If you are getting faster and SWOLF remains constant then you are not as efficient with your stroke.

I'm enjoying using the one I have and while getting the hang of the different menus takes a bit of playing around, the drill interval and rest timers are handy tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

"SWOLF"- a garmin function such that f(SWOLF)=average{time in seconds for length+number of strokes taken}.

Anyone got an idea on the usefulness of using this as an indicator of progression?

Its useful to a point.

A SWOLF of 70 for your first 100 is clearly better than 72 for the next yes? However, what if you kicked harder off the wall on the second 100s and also glided into the wall from 4m?

Of all the metrics, I tend to use the efficiency index

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Testing McDonalds happy meals and a very good tester he was as well. Took the job
    that made me chuckle. one up jb.

Refund back for Garmin Swim.

Garmin 910xt number FIVE in the post to me.

Fecking ridiculous, I'd avoid all Garmin products from here on

• Advertisement

910xt number five arrived this morning from Garmin Europe.

Fogged up 4 minutes into a 50 minute run and remained fogged for 35 minutes.

FOR FVCKS SAKE.................................... HUMIDTY CONTROLLED MANUFACTURING ENVIRONMENT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

910xt number five arrived this morning from Garmin Europe.

Fogged up 4 minutes into a 50 minute run and remained fogged for 35 minutes.

FOR FVCKS SAKE.................................... HUMIDTY CONTROLLED MANUFACTURING ENVIRONMENT

Have you removed your self from the equation, I know it should not make a difference unless you have your own climate, or your skin is so cold it drops the dew point.

BennyMul wrote: »
    Have you removed your self from the equation, I know it should not make a difference unless you have your own climate, or your skin is so cold it drops the dew point.

Do you have a 910xt? if so whats the serial number - what to see if its the case that > x is good < x is bad.

No I've not tried that. I could try warming it over a base layer tomorrow but I'm loosing patience.

Do you have a 910xt? if so whats the serial number - what to see if its the case that > x is good < x is bad.

No I've not tried that. I could try warming it over a base layer tomorrow but I'm loosing patience.

Nope Im still on the 310xt, was considering moving to one, but you have put me off,
    I do know a person would be a long shot in causing condensation but it is worth removing it from the equtation, as I would find it hard to believe that if there are "good" batches you would not have got 1 at this stage.

Nope Im still on the 310xt, was considering moving to one, but you have put me off,
    I do know a person would be a long shot in causing condensation but it is worth removing it from the equtation, as I would find it hard to believe that if there are "good" batches you would not have got 1 at this stage.

all the serial numbers are similar for mine.

all around 02HL 08xxxx

all the serial numbers are similar for mine.

all around 02HL 08xxxx

#1 2HL052086
    #2 2HL089826
    #3 2HL089806
    #4 2HL099333
    #5 2HL083106

Its happened with one I wore for a trial. So its not unique to tunney alone.

Its happened with one I wore for a trial. So its not unique to tunney alone.
    I was not questioning Tunney, I was questioning the "good batch" if there is such a thing, before I buy the 910 or the swim version,

Garmin Swim 2JM016598 works a treat.

Are you a heavy breather tunney?

• Advertisement

I was not questioning Tunney, I was questioning the "good batch" if there is such a thing, before I buy the 910 or the swim version,

I've had no problems with the swim.

Other than it consistently telling me my 100m times are rubbish ;)

Advertisement