Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ban chuggers?

Options
  • 25-06-2012 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭

I just came across an article in the Telegraph in connection to people who work for fundraising companies and get you to sign up for monthly direct debits. The article is specific to the UK but I see this problem is very much alive in Ireland too, in particular Dublin.

I personally would like to see the practice disbanded, maybe even banned and make a point of not supporting those charities that use these chuggers.

I also sometimes get the feeling that the larger more 'professional' charities are extremely aggressive in their fundraising activities which I find off putting. What are your views on it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I have very little time for most charities. They're run ultimately as very profitable businesses, with top staff earning serious private sector salaries and bonuses, while constantly poor mouthing so that they can pay their junior staff buttons, if anything, or to be exempted from the responsibilities of other private ventures.

Chugging is the natural evolution of door-to-door and later street magazine sales of the 1990's. Those doing so are doing so on commission, not because they believe in any cause (although they may be sympathetic) and often the psychological means employed to get a subscription are unethical to say the least.

As to banning them, I'm spit on this. I would never sign up to a chugger-sold subscription. Then again, not everyone is like me (a sigh of relief from you, no doubt) and I've known people who have signed up multiple times and ended up paying well over €100 p.m. to various causes and, bless them, they need to be protected from themselves.

Perhaps restrictions may be a better way of going about this, allowing people to only subscribe to a maximum total of, say, €50 p.m. direct debits to charitable organizations. Or that subsequent confirmation must be given before the direct debit is activated, as a means to allow a 'cool off period'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

miec wrote: »
    ...What are your views on it?

i have a friend who despises the practice - and those who undertake it - so much that he'll sign-up to half a dozen every time he's in town and then immediately cancel them with his bank - so costing the 'charities' a fortune in administration costs and tying up the chugger for 20 minutes of excruciating conversation.

a thing on BBC Radio 4's 'moneybox' program suggested that if you sign up for a DD with a chugger, the first 3 years DD's pay for the chugger and his commission, and you only start benefiting the cause concerned in year 4...

its not just the 'rip-off' nature of the chugging that offends me, its the faux studenty/hippy/aid-workery nature of the chugger: there's an arse chugger in Shrewsbury with dreads, flared jeans and barefeet - he is, of course, white, middle class and university educated - who at the end of his shift can be seen getting into a new Diesel Mondeo and chatting on his iPhone. i couldn't tell you how many charities he's been a 'committed member of'...

my own view is that the issue requires a nuanced approach involving used car tyres and unleaded petrol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Priori

I can't stand them either, they make me very uncomfortable. I had a very similar experience to this before.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭miec

Lol, I'm loving the replies.

I am no fan of them myself and I have been that eegit who has donated their time to various charities only to find myself screwed metaphorically and as a consequence deeply mistrustful of them.
    Then again, not everyone is like me (a sigh of relief from you, no doubt) and I've known people who have signed up multiple times and ended up paying well over €100 p.m. to various causes and, bless them, they need to be protected from themselves.

You are uniquely you :D but bloody hell thank God I am a tight wad and could never afford to give that much away but I can see how easily it happens.
    its not just the 'rip-off' nature of the chugging that offends me, its the faux studenty/hippy/aid-workery nature of the chugger: there's an arse chugger in Shrewsbury with dreads, flared jeans and barefeet - he is, of course, white, middle class and university educated - who at the end of his shift can be seen getting into a new Diesel Mondeo and chatting on his iPhone. i couldn't tell you how many charities he's been a 'committed member of'...

Why am I not surprised at this. I think the whole concept of charity is losing its way, it is about business / making profit.

miec wrote: »
    You are uniquely you :D but bloody hell thank God I am a tight wad and could never afford to give that much away but I can see how easily it happens.
    Of course it easily happens; it's designed to. The tactics behind chugging are actually identical to most short-con plays:
    • The shy or mark is trapped into a discussion using social convention (they don't want to be rude and tell the grifter to piss off).
    • Flirting, flattery or other familiarity is used to engender trust or a wish for the mark to please the grifter.
    • The marks guilt and naivety is then exploited, along with a dismissive approach on the amount of money that they'll pay ("it's only the price of a pint").
    • The whole process will take between five and twenty minutes, before the mark - either wishing to escape but unwilling to break social convention and be rude about it, or guilted into such a 'small' donation - finally succumbs.
    Why am I not surprised at this. I think the whole concept of charity is losing its way, it is about business / making profit.
    It lost it's way decades ago in Ireland. Compared to most Western countries, the Irish are quite charitable. This is not surprising as it is something that is even imprinted on us in school (e.g. primary school children being handed Trócaire boxes to fill). So it was bound to become big business.

Up until the late nineties it was also incredibly easy to set up an unregistered charity, operate and then vanish within 18 months; numerous door-to-door operations thrived during the eighties and nineties this way. Many used to be based in serviced offices in D1 or on or off Camdon street, the latter of which lead to the nickname "Scamdom street" at the time.

And that's just the smaller 'charities'. The big ones are as bad if not worse, IMHO, as they will pay volunteer (non-sales) workers peanuts (or nothing), look for everything for free from suppliers, yet will still be paying six-figure salaries to director level staff.

The whole concept of charity became a business in Ireland a long time ago and people realize this every few years (e.g. door-to-door magazine sales fell out of favour following a Herald expose around 1993). Then the tactical play changes and the business recovers within six months, until the new play becomes stale and the cycle repeats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭miec

I got caught out once like that, it was a guy at the door from a charity, and he used exactly those tactics you describe. The flirting (which I fell for) the its only a price of a pint, etc, oh and how he was giving to x amount of charities. Also here is a piece of irony, I was volunteering for a well known charity (a shop) during a period of unemployment, received nothing which I didn't mind as it kept me busy but learned that the area manager was on massive money. When its laid out there in the cold light of day its all a bit grubby. I remember after I signed up to that one direct debit above I felt angry with myself rather than pleased that I was giving, I had that ripped off feeling. I cancelled it after a month or two though. Maybe this thread will at least enable one or two people to pause before signing the direct debit line.

If you want to deal with chuggers, it's quite easy.
    • Ask to see the chugger's ID and make a (mental) note of their name.
    • Then say that you'll happily donate as long as the chugger is not on commission of any type.
    At this point 90% will let you go, without you needing to be rude about it.

If they claim they're not earning commission, then by all means sign up, then call up the charity that day and inquire, telling them that this person told you that they were not being paid commission. If it turns out that the chugger was lying or the charity is evasive to your inquiry, cancel the direct debit immediately. The chugger in question, who lied to you, will likely get reprimanded or even sacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

just smile and say you've already signed up to what ever bull**** they want to rope you into
    they leave you alone and you don't look a dick:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I support a small charity in India with a small dd...the reason I do it is because of (1) I want to support a charity (2) I like the way it works... half the money is given to a school and half to the family of the girl PROVIDED the girl stays in school.

I do not on principle support any charity's that employees chugers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I have voluntered for a charity that I believe in but the idea of people making money from it is repugnant to me - I avoid chuggars but you can normally tell the difference. I do feel that people should volunteer to collect for charites only and should never be paid to do it. My husband and I have both had bad experiences with over zellous charity collectors.

• Advertisement

Here's a voxpop and discussion from the BBC on the subject:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18951345

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

I wish they were more tightly (if at all) licensed. Its a free market and if this is how charities want to go about it fine but its there really a need for 3 - 5 of them in the little mall on the side of Stephen's green alone?

1 max on any given street imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

I used to be nice and say no thanks and try to keep walking but they are too pushy and cant take no for an answer. Now i tell them "i dont mean to be rude but before you start im not ****ing interested in listening to you" it seems to work so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

• The shy or mark is trapped into a discussion using social convention (they don't want to be rude and tell the grifter to piss off).

I'm not this so, I always give them the frowning of a lifetime, and very often grit my teeth walking past too. I don't care what they or anyone else who might see thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

A sharp 'NO' as they move in for the ambush usually stops them in their tracks, although its a skill I've just developed recently.

Much more intrusive to me is this 'bag packing' rubbish in supermarkets at peak times. You're basically cornered into allowing some stranger pack your bags in return for a donation to their musical society/cheerleaders squad/bdsm club. Its much harder to decline gracefully when they're going to be hovering around for several minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

I can't stand them and just ignore them.

I'm also not fond of those people raising money so they can go cycling across France or hiking somewhere in South America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

If you want to deal with chuggers, it's quite easy.
    • Ask to see the chugger's ID and make a (mental) note of their name.
    • Then say that you'll happily donate as long as the chugger is not on commission of any type.
    At this point 90% will let you go, without you needing to be rude about it.

If they claim they're not earning commission, then by all means sign up, then call up the charity that day and inquire, telling them that this person told you that they were not being paid commission. If it turns out that the chugger was lying or the charity is evasive to your inquiry, cancel the direct debit immediately. The chugger in question, who lied to you, will likely get reprimanded or even sacked.

Or....

Just ignoring them is easier.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

What really annoys me are the pretty girls they employ to rope you in. There I am, walking down the street, minding my own business and a pretty girl randomly asks me if I'd like to speak to her for a few minutes. For a heartbeat my hormones reject the impulses of my logical brain, but ultimately I recognise her plastic smile, the phoney concern in her eyes, and the thinly veiled contempt in her demeanor.

Denerick wrote: »
    What really annoys me are the pretty girls they employ to rope you in. There I am, walking down the street, minding my own business and a pretty girl randomly asks me if I'd like to speak to her for a few minutes. For a heartbeat my hormones reject the impulses of my logical brain, but ultimately I recognise her plastic smile, the phoney concern in her eyes, and the thinly veiled contempt in her demeanor.
    You can hardly blame them if you let your genitalia do your thinking though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

the f**kers knocked on my door the last day in Galway asking for money..
    its one thing to pester me in the streets- but NOT when watching the olympics!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

A few years ago I worked as a chugger. I was on the job 2 and a half weeks before being fired for not making targets. I've a friend who now does the job for Concern. Two factual remarks:
    1. Concern chuggers don't operate under commission. They've a fixed salary, and there's no real targets pressure. Paradoxically, they seem to be far more successful than "corporate chuggers".
    2. When I was working (2009) the company charged the charity €100 for each direct debit. It's steepish, but a lot less than 3 years of the direct debit.

My own take is that it's equivalent to charities running ads on billboards. They hope to put in X amount of money, and get more than X out. I don't see an ethical issue.

A tip, because the methods of avoidance outlined so far are only so-so. What you need to do is maybe talk to one of them for two minutes and get their name. Then, when you're passing other chuggers, just say "I've been talking to Y". They then generally leave you alone. If you're lucky, the same team is on most times, so you can use the name over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭jrmb

I'm approached by these curb crawlers every day and the sooner the practice is banned, the better. Once on St Stephen's Green, a friend and I were apprehended by a girl who attempted to pressure us into producing debit cards. When we told her we had none, she even asked us to phone someone at home to find our bank details, urging us to think of the children.

They even read out the amounts they'll accept, then offer a lower donation for students (as someone else said, "only the cost of a pint") and assure you that you can sign the agreement today while the deduction doesn't begin for another three months. It's outrageous.

It has become infuriating to be asked your name on the street, offered a hand shake or even told "Ohoho, you looked!". The very least we need is designated routes where this nuisance can be avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭StudentDad

The growth in the number of parasites/charities is a natural result of the disinterest of wider society towards those who actually need help.

If the State refuses to help citizens in dire situations the bottom feeders that are 'chuggers' naturally arrive to fill the void and make a profit for themselves in the process.

It's not new. The Church has been running on that model for centuries. The only difference is that the business sector has stepped into those areas no longer covered by religious institutions and/or State bodies.

SD

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Is there a way of setting up a direct debit to a charity, for example Amnesty International directly without the chuggers getting any commission?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Hate them (well, what they do) and cannot fathom how they are still in operation (clearly people are actually taken in by them) :eek:

jrmb wrote: »
    I'm approached by these curb crawlers every day and the sooner the practice is banned, the better. Once on St Stephen's Green, a friend and I were apprehended by a girl who attempted to pressure us into producing debit cards. When we told her we had none, she even asked us to phone someone at home to find our bank details, urging us to think of the children.

They even read out the amounts they'll accept, then offer a lower donation for students (as someone else said, "only the cost of a pint") and assure you that you can sign the agreement today while the deduction doesn't begin for another three months. It's outrageous.

It has become infuriating to be asked your name on the street, offered a hand shake or even told "Ohoho, you looked!". The very least we need is designated routes where this nuisance can be avoided.

Hate those smart fake-happy comments. Today I had, "oh look...the girl I've been waiting for all my life" (from a girl, and I'm a girl, I was like wtf?) Felt like pretending to buy into it and offer to meet her in the George for a pint :D But I was late for work so I just moved my umbrealla down to one side of my face to "block" her - felt so good :) You might even call it a "talk to the umbrella cause the face aint listening" kind of move lol

A few years ago I worked as a chugger. I was on the job 2 and a half weeks before being fired for not making targets. I've a friend who now does the job for Concern. Two factual remarks:
    1. Concern chuggers don't operate under commission. They've a fixed salary, and there's no real targets pressure. Paradoxically, they seem to be far more successful than "corporate chuggers".
    2. When I was working (2009) the company charged the charity €100 for each direct debit. It's steepish, but a lot less than 3 years of the direct debit.
    My own take is that it's equivalent to charities running ads on billboards. They hope to put in X amount of money, and get more than X out. I don't see an ethical issue.

A tip, because the methods of avoidance outlined so far are only so-so. What you need to do is maybe talk to one of them for two minutes and get their name. Then, when you're passing other chuggers, just say "I've been talking to Y". They then generally leave you alone. If you're lucky, the same team is on most times, so you can use the name over and over again.

But a billboard doesn't actually block your path and interupt a conversation you're having with a friend, or act like a patronising git :) and tbh, why should we have to take the time to stop and find out names etc and offer any kind of explanation to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

It's not unethical to put money in to get more money out (though most people will try to avoid charities with high admin charges — you don't want to get €20pm to find that only €2 is actually going to the cause), but it is unethical to waylay someone on the street & through a good sales pitch, bamboozle them into signing up for something they didn't want.

I'm quite happy holding my own with these guys though, if I'm not on lunch or with friends, I'll chat away to them. I try to give them a sporting chance & tell them upfront that I won't give them money though they generally don't listen & I waste 5–10 minutes of their time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Blisterman wrote: »
    Is there a way of setting up a direct debit to a charity, for example Amnesty International directly without the chuggers getting any commission?
    The guys working for Amnesty Int. are in-house and don't get paid commission.

• Advertisement

Cydoniac wrote: »
    The guys working for Amnesty Int. are in-house and don't get paid commission.

I've seen Amnesty chuggers on the street :confused:

Advertisement