Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The TA

Options
  • 25-06-2012 9:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

all units are different, but very roughly its one training night per week, and most units also do an additional phys night per week. its theoretically one weekend per month, but most recruit programmes would get to two very quickly, and then - i think - they do a 2 week block.

apart from the commuting, the problem you're going to have (from recall, and i'm old, so treat with care...) is that you'd need to have a reasonably convincing address in NI in order for you to be accepted. check that with a unit in NI though...

C Coy 2RIR are in Armagh, but you'd be, imv, wanting to work out if you'd drive up and down each night, get the train, or even stay over. this might well impact on whether you went for the closest unit, or a unit that was more convenient.

i could not personally recommend 206 Bty RA in Newtownards - i wouldn't want you to think that just because they're good blokes, lots of whom have tours to sandy places under their belts, have a very close relationship with the rest of 105 Regt RA in Scotland, are hugely professional and train in GB with exeptional regularity, that i was pushing you in any particular direction...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭thecommietommy

feeney92 wrote: »
    Moderator you can close this thread, Found Out I cannot apply because of my residency, thanks for the info OS119!!
    No doubt you'll be back under a different username giving a different location wouldn't you Walter :D

Funny.
    Almost as funny as a fella supposed to be living in Dublin asking about joining the British Reserve :rolleyes: Their's plenty of reserve battalions in Dubin. So what are you going to do, travel up on a train once or twice a week to do your bit for Queen and country ? :D

http://www.military.ie/reserve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

Almost as funny as a fella supposed to be living in Dublin asking about joining the British Reserve :rolleyes: Their's plenty of reserve battalions in Dubin. So what are you going to do, travel up on a train once or twice a week to do your bit for Queen and country ?

and why not? theres more than a few do it the other way around.

his choices are feck all to do with you - so go back to your stone, or bridge...

OS119 wrote: »
    and why not? theres more than a few do it the other way around.

his choices are feck all to do with you - so go back to your stone, or bridge...
    Yeah, nationalist lads living in border towns and villages who could probably walk to attend the nearest Reserve in Clones or Ballyshannon or wherever :rolleyes: And what Irishman wants to serve in a British force when he can serve in an Irish one - like I did in my time. As for " his choices ", there's no shortage of choices in the Reserve in Dublin, engineers, medical, transport etc FFS.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

Yeah, nationalist lads living in border towns and villages who could probably walk to attend the nearest Reserve in Clones or Ballyshannon or wherever :rolleyes: And what Irishman wants to serve in a British force when he can serve in an Irish one - like I did in my time. As for " his choices ", there's no shortage of choices in the Reserve in Dublin, engineers, medical, transport etc FFS.

You got a chance to train in Cyprus and Africa then ? NI TA units do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9m5YB8GGa0&feature=player_embedded#
    !
    Whilst still supporting the main effort in Afghanistan, this year will also see the TA unit involved in Op Olympic later this year, as well as deploying to Africa for a third time to train the Ugandan Peoples Defence Force, who are helping to bring stability to Somalia.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Wish there was a dislike button for this kind of knuckle dragging comment. He can join whatever army he wants and its none of your business. troll.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I know Im Part Of One. My reasoning is none of your concern. All I asked for was info, which I recieved.

Not with these "Cutbacks". but thats a different matter
    I have served in my country's RDF, better to be an Irishman than a Brit any day. Now off and do your bit for Queen and country.

You got a chance to train in Cyprus and Africa then ? NI TA units do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9m5YB8GGa0&feature=player_embedded#
    !
    Whilst still supporting the main effort in Afghanistan, this year will also see the TA unit involved in Op Olympic later this year, as well as deploying to Africa for a third time to train the Ugandan Peoples Defence Force, who are helping to bring stability to Somalia.
    Yeah and just 0.001% of the TA get the chance as a PR job !!!!! He'd be more realistic getting a lottery ticket or just booking a weeks holiday to Cyprus. Or in my day, a few weeks at Fort Dunree out side Buncrana :) (tell you one thing, don't know about now but back then the girls from North Donegal and Derry were as hot looking as any women you'd see in Cyprus or the Med any day !! )

I have served in my country's RDF, better to be an Irishman than a Brit any day. Now off and do your bit for Queen and country.

Yawn.... zzzz :rolleyes:

Yeah and just 0.001% of the TA get the chance as a PR job !!!!! He'd be more realistic getting a lottery ticket or just booking a weeks holiday to Cyprus. Or in my day, a few weeks at Fort Dunree out side Buncrana :) (tell you one thing, don't know about now but back then the girls from North Donegal and Derry were as hot looking as any women you'd see in Cyprus or the Med any day !! )

That's not true, in the future 30% of the regular army will be TA.

You seem very bitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Ah, >10% of the British Armed Forces in Afghanistan are TA, principally in medical posts, but with many in operational infantry and signals units, as well as 'other parts' of the BA.

It took me just over 3/100000 of second to come up with that figure from the MoD.

By today's reckoning that's, uh, just over 1100 TA soldiers. Please make some effort to get your f£ckwit remarks in some sort of coherent order before you press that send button on your mammy's computer.

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    Ah, >10% of the British Armed Forces in Afghanistan are TA, principally in medical posts, but with many in operational infantry and signals units, as well as 'other parts' of the BA.

It took me just over 3/100000 of second to come up with that figure from the MoD.

By today's reckoning that's, uh, just over 1100 TA soldiers. Please make some effort to get your f£ckwit remarks in some sort of coherent order before you press that send button on your mammy's computer.

tac
    Ok so if he's a nurse of a doctor he might get to Afghanistan :D
    I Am an irishman, and If I could take that final step and do service for my country I would. but with the Cadets only taking 21/5000 Applicants and coming up against Phds, Masters Degrees and people who have previously served in Afghanistan with the BA, I dont think my chances are as good as you seem to think.
    Oh so now you want to be an officer in the Brits :eek: Dear me, I only made it to corporal in the auld FCA (Reserve) years ago. Anyway, shouldn't you be checking out the timetables form Dublin to Belfast or wherever as you'll be commuting once or twice a week to serve Queen and country, and also, won't the costs of all that commuting be prohibitive Walter ? :)

Worn with pride by Irishmen and women -
    241px-Oglaigh_na_heireann.png

That's not true, in the future 30% of the regular army will be TA.

You seem very bitter.
    Yeah and in future the Irish army reserve will have a greater role - more the reason to join them. Anyway, would you not think it would be a little expensive for yer man who claims to be living in Dublin to commute up and down once or twice a week if not down right unpractical :)

• Advertisement

You only made it to corporal thats fair enough, but from your moronic posts I can see why you only made it that far. as for being an officer, yes I want to be a Leader. oh and to further add insult to injury..........

The definition of Irony
    http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/4994/funnywh.png[/QUOTE
    " The definition of Irony " - posting advertisements for foreign armies and then claiming to be an Irishman :D

Again your High IQ proves its worth. yes I posted that advertisement....I am just that good.

If your such an Irishman why did you only make it to corporal in the FCA?
    Had to give up training due to a bad motorbike accident. Anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Just one TA unit - not doctors or nurses.....

ENGINEERS from Aldershot's Territorial Army are set for a deployment to Afghanistan.

'Local MP Gerald Howarth visited the home of the engineers in Shoe Lane on Saturday (February 18), to talk about the troops’ role in the conflict and the training they have completed to prepare for their tour.

They will leave on March 6 for a six-month deployment with the Royal Engineer Regiment.

The role of the engineer troop is to provide support to the headquarters of the 8 Force Engineer Brigade.

The troop is made up of signallers, drivers, electricians, vehicle mechanics, chefs and clerks.'

Again, check your 'facts'.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭KickstartHeart

Yeah and in future the Irish army reserve will have a greater role - more the reason to join them. Anyway, would you not think it would be a little expensive for yer man who claims to be living in Dublin to commute up and down once or twice a week if not down right unpractical :)

Personally, I wouldn't want to serve in the British armed forces. But if someone wants to, thats their perogative. Let them make their own decision and don't give them bother because of those decisions.

The badge that you parade on this thread is of the Irish volunteers and subsequently was adopted by the Irish Defence Forces. Both organizations were/and are existant to protect the FREE WILL of the Irish people. Feeney92 is an Irish person. If he wants to join a military other than the Irish Defence Forces then thats his decision.

You as an ex-reservist NCO, who generally brings down the public image of the Irish Defence Forces (I promise they're not like this lad to everyone else who's reading this btw) have no right to flaunt the FF badge and give people hastle for making their own decisions. I'd remind you that as a reservist you served to protect the peoples rights to make their own decisions.

Posting the FF badge here and telling someone what they SHOULD'NT do is like putting an ambulance service badge in someones face and telling them they should take heroin.

tac foley wrote: »
    Just one TA unit - not doctors or nurses.....

ENGINEERS from Aldershot's Territorial Army are set for a deployment to Afghanistan.

'Local MP Gerald Howarth visited the home of the engineers in Shoe Lane on Saturday (February 18), to talk about the troops’ role in the conflict and the training they have completed to prepare for their tour.

They will leave on March 6 for a six-month deployment with the Royal Engineer Regiment.

The role of the engineer troop is to provide support to the headquarters of the 8 Force Engineer Brigade.

The troop is made up of signallers, drivers, electricians, vehicle mechanics, chefs and clerks.'

Again, check your 'facts'.

tac
    Ok, so instead of driving up to the north once or twice a week, Walter should should go over to the engineers in Shoe Lane and might get a bit of 'action' with HM forces instead of joining his own country's reserve or PDF.

Personally, I wouldn't want to serve in the British armed forces. But if someone wants to, thats their perogative. Let them make their own decision and don't give them bother because of those decisions.

The badge that you parade on this thread is of the Irish volunteers and subsequently was adopted by the Irish Defence Forces. Both organizations were/and are existant to protect the FREE WILL of the Irish people. Feeney92 is an Irish person. If he wants to join a military other than the Irish Defence Forces then thats his decision.

You as an ex-reservist NCO, who generally brings down the public image of the Irish Defence Forces (I promise they're not like this lad to everyone else who's reading this btw) have no right to flaunt the FF badge and give people hastle for making their own decisions. I'd remind you that as a reservist you served to protect the peoples rights to make their own decisions.

Posting the FF badge here and telling someone what they SHOULD'NT do is like putting an ambulance service badge in someones face and telling them they should take heroin.
    "to protect the FREE WILL of the Irish people. " Yes, but did it not occur to you that by going off to join a foreign army, Walter is doing the exact opposite of this ? But then you don't see HM forces as foreign now do you :) As for analogy to heroin and an ambulance :D

( And just remember, the Irish volunteers were formed in response to the formation and threats of the Ulster Volunteers and British army. You couldn't disrespect the Irish volunteers principles more than by saying that for a fella to want and go off and join that same army is somehow fulfilling what they stood for. Gombeenism at it's worst).

"to protect the FREE WILL of the Irish people. " Yes, but did it not occur to you that by going off to join a foreign army, Walter is doing the exact opposite of this ? But then you don't see HM forces as foreign now do you :) As for analogy to heroin and an ambulance :D

( And just remember, the Irish volunteers were formed in response to the formation and threats of the Ulster Volunteers and British army. You couldn't disrespect the Irish volunteers principles more than by saying that for a fella to want and go off and join that same army is somehow fulfilling what they stood for. Gombeenism at it's worst).

Its a moot point, some English regiments fought each other in the English civil war on opposite sides, the British army trains with armies it has fought world wars against and now heavily trains with the French a foe for hundreds of yrs.

History moves on.

and irish soldiers complete english courses before returning here as instructors and vice versa.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement