Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PLEASE HELP US FOR 2013!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Lucario

ChemHickey wrote: »
    I never did it! I was put into the class and I was like... No,I ain't doing this. The OP of this question isn't doing business. If I were him, I wouldn't bother with it. I spent the LCVP classes doing music and homework for other classes! It gave me valuable resting time during my two years of LCprep!

Oh yeah, forgot that. I think Business definitely helps.

I would say drop it, people seem to do it for safety points or whatever but you seem to have enough subjects to keep you going . Like ChemHickey said you're time could be spent studying your other subjects which could get you more points than LCVP!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 zinny

I never did it! I was put into the class and I was like... No,I ain't doing this. The OP of this question isn't doing business. If I were him, I wouldn't bother with it. I spent the LCVP classes doing music and homework for other classes! It gave me valuable resting time during my two years of LCprep!

thanks for the tips ChemHickey I was also put into the lcvp class and really had no choice but to do it ,I really find it very time consuming and now im doing religion as an extra subject I definately have to look at where I get some time in to study this subject and get some extra breathing time as well !

would you also have any tips for chemistry ???? oh and Im a 'her' not 'him' :)

AND ALSO to lucario I think the fact that I dont do business is in fact a hinderence to the subject as I really dont plan on spending huge amounts of time studying lcvp so I think I will have to consider not taking lcvp as a subject .

AND
    Thanks for the tips and advice guys ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Raeone

zinny wrote: »
    thanks for the tips ChemHickey I was also put into the lcvp class and really had no choice but to do it ,I really find it very time consuming and now im doing religion as an extra subject I definately have to look at where I get some time in to study this subject and get some extra breathing time as well !

AND ALSO to lucario I think the fact that I dont do business is in fact a hinderence to the subject as I really dont plan on spending huge amounts of time studying lcvp so I think I will have to consider not taking lcvp as a subject .

AND

LCVP doesn't require large amounts of study. 60% of it is the portfolio and this can be done easly in two classes a week (which is what I think most schools give to LCVP a week) The actual written part of the exam is doable with a weeks study and a bit of common sense. So LCVP will only take up two classes a week.
    Its worth a max of 70 points so if you think you will get less than a C1 in any subject, it is well worth doing as a back up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

zinny wrote: »

AND

Sorry about the gender mix up! :L

Ok, for chemistry (my favourite :D _

Learn the experiments. These are extremely important. They define the course and the theory is moreso wrapped around the experiments.

Understand the basic principles. Know why things happen as they do. And pay particular attention to the definitions. Most of the time people just learn them off by heart and don't really understand the topic. One which I came across a few weeks before my exam was the question which says how many shells orbitals sublevels question. I just decided to write out the definitions to see if they would spark my thought and voila! It all came together! I was like... WHY DID I NOT REALISE THIS BEFORE!

It's a great course if you understand it. It was always my favourite really and never over the whole 2 year period did I ever not want to go into a chemistry class. It was always a pleasure. I got 98% in my mocks and I left all the study for chem for the night before the exam ( I had to really, I had accounting the day before) and I still feel I did enough for the A1 (I hope anyway! :o )

Just dedicate some time to it, understanding the topics and just living chemistry, it is the most important of the 3 sciences! ;) Everything is made of particles. Topics in Biology are made far easier with the chemistry course (eg. transpiration of water in flowering plants vua the cohesion/tension model.- hydrogen bonds from chemistry is all you need to know really and you can work it out from there!) Same with reducing sugars! From chemistry you actually understand what a reducing sugar is! (A reducing sugar/agent = the sugar/agent itself is oxidised)

Chemistry is the basic foundation for all the other science subtopics.

WORSHIP IT! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

@ChemHickey, as much as I share your love for Chemistry (favourite subject second only to maths) I have to disagree with you, I'm pretty sure physics is the foundation for all other sciences no?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm almost certain I've heard it called the most 'pure' science, equally I could be imagining this! :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

@ChemHickey, as much as I share your love for Chemistry (favourite subject second only to maths) I have to disagree with you, I'm pretty sure physics is the foundation for all other sciences no?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm almost certain I've heard it called the most 'pure' science, equally I could be imagining this! :P

Well, chemistry is the basic building blocks. Atoms, particles, elements, compounds and what not. Physics is just showing us the workings. How everything functions. Im not certain, but it is my outlook! Chemistry is da bomb.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

]

Well, chemistry is the basic building blocks. Atoms, particles, elements, compounds and what not. Physics is just showing us the workings. How everything functions. Im not certain, but it is my outlook! Chemistry is da bomb.

I'd be inclined to agree with your view, I think I've just been brainwashed by my aunt, she's got a masters in physics so that'd explain it!!
    I love me a bitta Chemistry<3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

Thought I'd catch ye before ye left for the college forums ;)
    Clever if I do so myself:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11 BrazilBabe

Hi Everyone!

I'm new here so I hope I'm doing this right! :P

Here's the subjects I will be taking for my Leaving Certificate this coming year,

English
    Irish
    Maths
    German
    French
    Spanish
    Business
    Economics
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Biology
    Religion
    History

Now, I know that's a lot, but I really want to go to an american college, so I'm hoping to impress by doing more subjects than normal. The only one i'm extremely worried about is History. My teacher really isn't that good, he tries his best I understand but it's his first time teaching and he's extremely slow to hand back corrected work and such, could anyone PLEASE give me some tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

I agree with ChemHickey, if you get a chance you should read something like Harry Potter (in French or German or whatever language you are doing) that you have already read in English. It really helps a lot because you know the general idea of the story and will pick up phrases and words that are likely to impress examiners.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

BrazilBabe wrote: »
    Hi Everyone!

I'm new here so I hope I'm doing this right! :P

Here's the subjects I will be taking for my Leaving Certificate this coming year,

English
    Irish
    Maths
    German
    French
    Spanish
    Business
    Economics
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Biology
    Religion
    History

Now, I know that's a lot, but I really want to go to an american college, so I'm hoping to impress by doing more subjects than normal. The only one i'm extremely worried about is History. My teacher really isn't that good, he tries his best I understand but it's his first time teaching and he's extremely slow to hand back corrected work and such, could anyone PLEASE give me some tips?
    Sweet Jesus thats a lot of subjects! :L Jealous of all those languages you get to do. :)

I was in the exact same boat for history. My teacher never graded our work, just commented on it, and still managed to take 3 weeks to get it back to us! I even asked him to grade some and he got a little miffed. :pac: It's a bad idea to ask other teachers to do it but my friend got our old history teacher and she was excellent, so I...I...I took all his essays and wrote them out myself for study :o Mightn't be a bad idea if you can do something similar, and there's a lot of good history websites out there! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

I really think that is too much subjects.

Haha yeah I know! I'm very lucky that I am just naturally pretty good at languages.

I wanted to do that but I don't have the biggest school and to be honest I only like one of my teachers, she's genuinely awesome but she doesn't teach history unfortunately :( yeah, I'm just hoping to get by with the help of websites, I just wish I knew if my project would be good enough next year or not :/

It really is :/ but I'm a super organized and OCD person haha so it all falls into place for me. Once I stay organized and stick to the routine I have now that works wonders for me, I'm confident to stay one step ahead :) I'm also an extreme health freak, I try to eat as healthy as possible and work out weekly, it's the only way to keep the mind clear and strong.

If you look at the chief examiner's reports on history, the average on the project is over 90/100, I wouldnt worry. :) I'm a language person too but never really realized until the end of 5th year so I only did English, Irish and French, but I'm picking up Spanish in college so it's all good. :D

Another thing you could do is hand up a lot of work at once, I used to do that since I knew it was gonna take forever to get back to me anyway. That way you get essays done and then have them to study rather than waiting til halfway through 6th year to do the essay and waiting another half of the year to get it back! :P It's really tedious though...the woes of bad history teachers. Its really a subject you need a good teacher for. :(

Patchy~ wrote: »
    If you look at the chief examiner's reports on history, the average on the project is over 90/100, I wouldnt worry. :) I'm a language person too but never really realized until the end of 5th year so I only did English, Irish and French, but I'm picking up Spanish in college so it's all good. :D

Another thing you could do is hand up a lot of work at once, I used to do that since I knew it was gonna take forever to get back to me anyway. That way you get essays done and then have them to study rather than waiting til halfway through 6th year to do the essay and waiting another half of the year to get it back! :P It's really tedious though...the woes of bad history teachers. Its really a subject you need a good teacher for. :(

That is a very good idea actually, thank you very much! :D

That's really cool, what are you studying in college now? If you don't mind me asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

Don't forget about the Mother of all Sciences.... Geography! :)

BrazilBabe wrote:
    That is a very good idea actually, thank you very much! :D

That's really cool, what are you studying in college now? If you don't mind me asking.

No problem! :D

Oh I'm not in college yet, waiting on my results and hoping to do International Languages in UCD. :) It's only 410 anyways and if I managed to miss that I'd get arts for 355 and do the same thing there so its all good. :P What're you hoping to do in America?

Also what books are you doing in history? I keep meaning to type up my essays and I might have some that would be useful - I hate seeing people deprived of history resources :pac: I'm not expecting any more than a B2 because I didnt like the subject so I neglected it but when I had to do essays I did them properly and have mostly A1 essays on Dictatorship & Democracy, Sovereignty & Partition, and Politics & Society in Northern Ireland. :)

No problem! :D

Oh I'm not in college yet, waiting on my results and hoping to do International Languages in UCD. :) It's only 410 anyways and if I managed to miss that I'd get arts for 355 and do the same thing there so its all good. :P What're you hoping to do in America?

Also what books are you doing in history? I keep meaning to type up my essays and I might have some that would be useful - I hate seeing people deprived of history resources :pac: I'm not expecting any more than a B2 because I didnt like the subject so I neglected it but when I had to do essays I did them properly and have mostly A1 essays on Dictatorship & Democracy, Sovereignty & Partition, and Politics & Society in Northern Ireland. :)

Oh Righty! That's a really awesome choice :) UCD is going to be my choice if I don't go to America! I'm really hoping to do Criminology :)

I'm doing those 3 exact books! :D That would be so helpful! It just sucks not having a good teacher, it would make such a difference :( I'm not really a fan of the subject either. I only enjoy the Irish history and the Northern Ireland part.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Lilywhite0924

Enjoying this thread and will be going into 6th year myself next month.

A balance between significant study and socializing is important. Make studying a healthy habit instead of a burden.

Just wondering for anybody studying history. Shall I get down to work and complete my history project this summer before going back?

Cheers!

• Advertisement

I didn't do mine during the summer at all, most teachers give you a few classes for it so it doesnt matter, but its no harm. Though my teacher decided to leave everything but the essay until March, so I did it myself and he said it was all fine only to tell me in March that it wasn't so, although most teachers wont be like that (hopefully :L), it might be better just to wait. Just make sure you get the course covered if you do it in class, we barely did and my sister's class didn't!

I didn't do mine during the summer at all, most teachers give you a few classes for it so it doesnt matter, but its no harm. Though my teacher decided to leave everything but the essay until March, so I did it myself and he said it was all fine only to tell me in March that it wasn't so, although most teachers wont be like that (hopefully :L), it might be better just to wait. Just make sure you get the course covered if you do it in class, we barely did and my sister's class didn't!
    Cheers, the course is very long and we are not up to where we should be!

Thats why I considered getting project done next few weeks before school so next year I can mostly focus on the course.

How did you get on in history anyway? :)

Cheers, the course is very long and we are not up to where we should be!

Thats why I considered getting project done next few weeks before school so next year I can mostly focus on the course.

How did you get on in history anyway? :)
    Yeah, we barely had two books done by the start of 6th year! Even if your teacher gives time to the projects, you can focus on the course if you have yours done so it's handy. :)

I haaaated the subject and went in hoping to pass and not count it, learned the absolute minimum aaaaaaand...it all came up. :D I'm good at English so I managed to flower it up a bit too. :P Think I got around a B2 maybe, but it's hard to know since it's quite subjective with the OE marks and I always forget to add on the project haha, but I think it went well. :)

If you ever need tips for history, just remember...timing. :P

Yeah, we barely had two books done by the start of 6th year! Even if your teacher gives time to the projects, you can focus on the course if you have yours done so it's handy. :)

I haaaated the subject and went in hoping to pass and not count it, learned the absolute minimum aaaaaaand...it all came up. :D I'm good at English so I managed to flower it up a bit too. :P Think I got around a B2 maybe, but it's hard to know since it's quite subjective with the OE marks and I always forget to add on the project haha, but I think it went well. :)

If you ever need tips for history, just remember...timing. :P
    Yeah im good at English which really can give you sneaky extra marks in essays flowering it up lol

Cool fair play hope you get the grade so! Yes timing is crucial!!

I did ty so bit bumbed that all my mates are off to college and in still in school learning history etc lol

Any advice on 6th year would you do anything different? Is it worth the huge stress?

Yeah im good at English which really can give you sneaky extra marks in essays flowering it up lol

Cool fair play hope you get the grade so! Yes timing is crucial!!

I did ty so bit bumbed that all my mates are off to college and in still in school learning history etc lol

Any advice on 6th year would you do anything different? Is it worth the huge stress?
    Haha yeah, and it can make them longer. :P
    Thanks! :D

I skipped TY, so chuffed at that choice now hahaha.

It's worth the stress I supposeeeee, like it was definitely the worst year of my life (no point denying it :pac:) and it was a lot worse than I imagined - I used to think "sure its just a year of school :confused:" but it's hard to explain why its so bad, it just is! I wouldn't do anything different because I'm glad with what I did, so my advice would be to study from the very first few days because it's too easy to slip into the habit of "but its my first day/week/month/term back" before the work creeps up on you - I just took it slow and studied small things every day, and it's relaxing to study subjects you like, in my case French - so make sure to "relax" with those. :P

Oh, and take predictions with a HUGE pinch of salt - a huuuuge portion of this year got caught by English P2 having neither Plath nor Heaney, and while Plath could come up next year for you guys, she might not - you never know. Be careful! :P

To end this absolute essay of a post, just study frequently, consistently, properly (dont just read the book if it isnt sinking in - I find mnemonics helpful personally :)) and make sure to stay as calm as you can. It's a huge anticlimax at the end of it all...one minute I was in school, the next I was doing a few exams, and 3 hours after you start the exam it's all over and you wonder why you ever got so worried. :P

Lastly, don't feel bad for eating badly - chocolate was my saviour :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ryancooney

The most important thing i can say is to make sure you avoid doing "pointless" homework assigned by your teachers.You should know yourself what will or will not benefit you e.g conjugating a bunch of french verbs you already now 100%,writing an english essay on ridiculous topics etc never underestimate the stupidity of certain teachers!!

English-cover the four most favourited poets if you can live with the fact youve a 1/70 chance of not getting any on your exam,i myself covered 3 which has 5/70 chance of none coming up,youre gonna have to take some risks so cover 4 at the most.

Economics-I'm expecting an A but was annoyed with some of the omissions this year.That taken into account next year money and banking + inflation,national income must be certs so study them with supply and demand +elasticities all that stuff,do ALL the market forms,and do costs and either gov +tax or international trade and you should be guaranteed an A.I didnt cover the factors of production(always thought the questions were too topical and therefore easy to lose marks but each to their own!) "Money as Debt" in youtube helps explaining some money and banking concepts.

Maths-New paper 1 so cant really advise,new paper 2 was a c*unt doing applied maths/physics really helped i hear,you really have to understand the material.khanacademy.org helps explain some concepts if youre stuck.Might be helpful for other subjects too.

Accounting-any 5th years on boards please take this subject!provided you work at it you can expect high points.The rate of A's each year is insane.

Business-hated it was no good at it so can't advise,i'd tell 5th years to look into course content before picking your subjects it's so important.Not at all like the junior cert course

Finally if you're in a school where religion is taught but not examined make sure you study in those classes as it can really help.Any questions about any of the subjects feel free to ask away.Be sure not to waste time and do take shortcuts you cant cover everything but make sure youve enough covered to get what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 _Melon_Juice

Hey :) I just finished 6th year, and honestly I thought it was grand. Don't be worried about it all year cos by the time the Leaving Cert actually comes around you wont give a feck [You'll just want it over and done with].

My biggest tip of all is to start learning early. Don't stress yourself out but maybe just half an hour a night. I didn't learn all year and only started studying the week before. It's only then that I realized how easy it was to study! That being said, I was fairly attentive in class and didn't really need to study to get good grades, so my short week of study was enough.

Also I think you should all apply to things like UCAS and to PLCs.. Even if you have no interest in them at the moment :P You might regret not applying come June

Helen :)

Haha yeah, and it can make them longer. :P
    Thanks! :D

I skipped TY, so chuffed at that choice now hahaha.

It's worth the stress I supposeeeee, like it was definitely the worst year of my life (no point denying it :pac:) and it was a lot worse than I imagined - I used to think "sure its just a year of school :confused:" but it's hard to explain why its so bad, it just is! I wouldn't do anything different because I'm glad with what I did, so my advice would be to study from the very first few days because it's too easy to slip into the habit of "but its my first day/week/month/term back" before the work creeps up on you - I just took it slow and studied small things every day, and it's relaxing to study subjects you like, in my case French - so make sure to "relax" with those. :P

Oh, and take predictions with a HUGE pinch of salt - a huuuuge portion of this year got caught by English P2 having neither Plath nor Heaney, and while Plath could come up next year for you guys, she might not - you never know. Be careful! :P

To end this absolute essay of a post, just study frequently, consistently, properly (dont just read the book if it isnt sinking in - I find mnemonics helpful personally :)) and make sure to stay as calm as you can. It's a huge anticlimax at the end of it all...one minute I was in school, the next I was doing a few exams, and 3 hours after you start the exam it's all over and you wonder why you ever got so worried. :P

Lastly, don't feel bad for eating badly - chocolate was my saviour :pac:
    Appreciate the long reply which was very helpful and interesting.

Start studying early seems to be a common point. From your message I will take on board to not get into the habit of delaying study for foolish reasons such as first week term etc as you mentioned :)

And on your point on predictions I totally agree! A lot of my friends were surprised leaving their english p2.

Mnemonics I also find truly helpful myself!

Thanks a mill for all the help and good luck with your results and future.

Next month when your out partying and enjoying post exams I shall be getting my head down early studying :/;) lol Roll on this time 12 months :)

Thanks for the good wishes :D

Don't worry, while its a hard year, part of the difficulty is because it absolutely flies. It'll be over before you know it. Good luck! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement