Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PLEASE HELP US FOR 2013!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 MovingToMars

Lucario wrote: »
    Good point ;) What subjects are you doing? Maybe then you can get more specific tips for each subject?

I'm doing Economics, Music, Biology, French, LCVP and the usual three :)

Perhaps they will reckon that loads of people will think like this, and leave her off again? ;)

Considering what happened this year, you're probably right :o

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Lucario

Hmm well I only do Biology out of them, and judging by the reactions from our Leaving Cert biology paper, you're in for a treat ;) But seriously, I think this subject needs constant revision. I'm assuming you're not finished the whole book yet, so when you return to school you should read the chapter you're teacher will be going onto next, that way you have a gist of the chapter and when the teacher goes over it things might 'click' a bit faster. If you have that book with the hands on the cover holding the soil(forget the name:pac:) then photocopy the definitions at the back and learn them! Doing 5 every night will serve you good in your exams. Go through the book and draw out simple, labelled diagrams on pages and stick them around your room. You don't need every single diagram, just the most important ones and the ones you may find difficult. I only did this at the start of May and it really helped me as I was learning them every time I passed them! Also, do not neglect the experiments! I basically had to cram them as I found them so boring so do not follow in my footsteps ;) In the end I just got 1 sheet and wrote the name of each experiment and the vital chemicals/equipment needed e.g. Osmosis - Sucrose solution in visking tubing. Control - water in visking tubing. You can draw little diagrams beside them as they're a lot easier to remember than writing(I find, anyway). Do not forget to mention the control in your answer! That's all my advice for that subject anyway! :) I studied Biology quite a lot and found the exam to be a bit tricky, but I'm hoping I did a lot better than I think, which is usually my case! If you need tips on Irish/English(I did pass maths, so... :rolleyes:) just ask :D

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Pepperr

A few quick tips:

Don't trust predictions!

Pay attention in class, and try to understand as you go. It's a lot easier to revise something if you understand the "why" behind the "what".

Don't stress, it will be fine in the end, good luck next year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

The only one of your choice subjects I do is French, but it's by far my best and favourite subject, so I'll give you a few tips:

*Know your verbs inside out.* Make sure you're comfortable with the main tenses (present, past and future), and that you're confident in using the other important ones (futur proche, l'imperatif, l'imparfait, plusque parfait, and the subjunctive is useful for a few extra marks! Don't get bogged down with the passé simple/historique, you just need to be able to recognise it).

Get a copy for oral notes if you don't already have one. Leave lots of space after each topic you write about so you can add to it later when you've improved at French. The first notes I took for the oral were very basic, and needed to be improved upon in sixth year. (Bien Dit and Accent Francais are excellent books for the oral if you're interested in getting one specifically for it.)

For the oral, get your phone, iPod or whatever, and *record yourself speaking aloud*. (Do it when no one's home if you find it embarrassing! :P) It works wonders for your pronunciation, and gets you used to speaking French. (The fact that you're put under a bit of pressure because you're being recorded prepares you for the exam situation too.) If you can get a friend to practise talking to in French outside of class, then make sure to practise!

*Do some listening regularly* - a little bit every night if you can, or just a large amount of listening once a week. If you have any extra time to put into French, download some French songs and listen to them now and then, or listen to French radio when you can.

Learn lots of vocabulary, but don't learn every word in the vocabulary section of your book (if there is one). Be wise and just take out the most common words for each topic.

Practice exam questions - comprehensions and essays/topic questions - regularly and get your teacher to correct them. *A really useful thing to do is to write out any mistakes you make, along with the correction.* You'll soon stop making these mistakes!

Obviously, if you did all of that, you'd be spending a lot of time at French (probably way too much), so just do what you can from what I've said, or take out one or two things you think you'll find useful and try them, out.

*(I've starred what I think are the most important tips I have, because there's a good bit there!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Top tip to do well in your lc: delete your boards account before it's too late!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I did all of these subjects apart from Biology, i'll do up a little guide to Economics & Music in a while, LCVP is píss tbh and I wasn't good at French so I won't help you with that! I'll post some tips in a little while! :)

Really appreciate all the advice everyone. I can't thank posts yet cause I'm new but If I could I would :)

I did all of these subjects apart from Biology, i'll do up a little guide to Economics & Music in a while, LCVP is píss tbh and I wasn't good at French so I won't help you with that! I'll post some tips in a little while! :)

Are you sure? :eek: Only if its not too much trouble, thanks so much! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 SD021

In general:

How well you do = (How hard you work * How early you start working)

Also this year has shown that predictions are useless. If you're prepared for everything then you shouldn't have to worry about predictions. Keep that in mind and you'll be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

I see a lot of people here saying to ignore predictions but I have to disagree.
    While I don't recommend you completely bank on predictions, they can help!
    I wouldn't have had time to revise every course (a physical impossibility, especially if you're doing 9 subjects like me) so I made out predictions which REALLY helped- literally, they saved me! For example:
    • English: I learned one poet and she came up. I also just learned one comparative mode (GVP) and it came up.
    • Religion: I focused on the most likely topics and I was completely covered.
    • Irish: I studied 2 essays and I could use both merged onto one with what came up. I also learned 2 prose and one came up.
    • Biology: I learned the highly predicted and guaranteed chapters and was completely covered.
    • Chemistry: I learned the experiments that didn't come up in ages and left out big sections like organic chemistry and was completely covered.
    • Business: Left out unit 7 (you won't be able to do thus as it is part of the ABQ next year) and only studied one chapter in 6... was covered!
    • Geography: Studied everything but that's because I'm obsessed with the subject! :D
    So as you can see predictions are VITAL! Seriously I owe my successful LC to them!

Some people will make you feel very guilty for taking weekends off or having breaks or not doing homework but don't let them! You need breaks! It's impossible to work every night and every weekend and holiday! I didn't start revising properly until the week before the LC but it went very well! Also don't stress about the mocks... You can find out everything thats coming up on them on this website! :) Good luck! Hope you all do brilliant! The LC is not the end of the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭taylorconor95

Oh and just incase any of you are interested for next year, i have some of my revise wise and other notes books up on ebay for a fiver each all in tip top shape. Check them out here.

I know a lot of people say books like these are just tricks by publishers to make you fork out even more money, but they really help. That Geography model answers one I have up for sale covers every geography essay from 06-10, and I actually used it more than my Geography book! The Music one pretty much covered the whole course too. Its great to either have super concise notes of books like these to calm you down coming up to the exam - its a relief to know that everything you need to study is in the one place!

Thanks everyone! :) Just wondering what songs those music students out there sang for their practical? Want to try and decide on my songs early :confused:

Ok. So here’s a little guide to Economics, I’ll just try and write about a little bit about exam preparation, the exam and how to do well in the exams (albeit I haven’t gotten results yet but I’m hoping for minimum of an A2’s in it, I’m less than 5 days after finishing them so the information is fresh in my mind.

ECONOMICS:

For me, Economics was without doubt the best subject in the Leaving certificate. The content is interesting and very relevant and the exam has a lot of choice so you can play to your strengths and do extremely well.
    So, as you probably know, Economics is divided into 2 main sections: Micro and Macro. Now you probably have a favourite section already, but this can change. I loved Macro throughout 5th year, was kinda frightened of Micro, ended up loving Micro in 6th year and 3 of my Questions were Micro-Economics in the Leaving Cert.

For Economics, the exam is extremely student friendly. The choice is SUPERBE and possibly the best in the entire leaving cert. Just incase you don’t know the exam structure this is out it is laid out:

• Section 1- Short Questions

These are worth 25% of the entire exam, (100/400). They give you 9, you do any 6.

Now, to get full marks in these, you have to do the last 4 questions as they are worth 17 marks each (Q1-5 are worth 16 marks each).

Do all 9 however, they are usually very easy and EXTREMELY repetitive. I got 100/100 in the Mock in this section, just by practising the shorts from the exam papers. It’s extremely handy!

Section 2- Long Questions

These are worth 300 marks (75% of the exam). You do any 4 from 8 given questions, which truly is a fantastic choice!

Q’S 1, 2, 3 are usually Micro, with the remainder of the paper being Macro (however Q’S 1-4 were Micro this year).

MICRO-ECONOMICS:

For next year in particular, the main topics for micro to revise are:

• Supply and Demand (not on for the first time EVER in 2012)
    • Elasticity (came up as 50 marks in 2012 but still very possible as a long question)
    • Factors of Production (Land, Labour, Capital especially)
    • Market Structures (Imperfect Competition, Monopoly, Oligopoly)

I think you could nearly disregard Costs at this stage, I was extremely surprised to see another full Costs question on the paper this year, the first time ever costs has been asked 2 years in a row

MACRO-ECONOMICS:

Now for Macro, my only advice is: DON’T FORGET THE ECONOMISTS. They focused on 2 separate questions this year, (Q.5, Q.8) Malthus and Keynes, and if you didn’t know them, a nice question was thrown out the window! They’re essential and not that difficult to study! Make sure you know Smith, Marshall, Friedman, Ricardo for 2013!

A dead cert. for next year is National Income. It wasn’t on the paper this year, the 2nd time ever they’ve done this in the last 17 years. Know how to calculate the multiplier, how to draw the Circular flow of income, the elements of aggregate demand, uses/limitations of National Income statistics, the definitions (GNP at factor cost etc.) they’re essential!

The Government and Economy Questions are so, so important too! There’s always at least 2 Short questions and a long question about government aims/objectives, conflicting objectives, national debt, taxes, Current budget surplus/deficit, Public sector borrowing requirement etc. There were two long questions based on this topic this year AFAIK, Q.6+8. It was never really my ‘forte’ but you should have an idea of it anyway!

Another major topic you should know from Macro for next year is Money & Banking. Didn’t come up this year, I’d say it’s a guarantee for next year.

Inflation is also important, I was surprised not to see it on this years paper, it’s very easy and if you get a Consumer Price Index to calculate for 20/25 marks, you’re in heaven!

So for Macro, the main topics to study (In my opinion) for next year are:
    • History of Economic Thought
    • National Income
    • Government and Economy
    • Money and Banking
    • Inflation

That’s all I can really think of for now, if you have any more specific questions feel free to ask! I <3 me some Economics! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sophiiieee

Ive started a new blog to put up some notes i have on differnet subjects and topics that i think will be of help to people. I havent put up much yet but have a lot more to put up, i will post them over the next number of months. I remember looking for notes on certain topics last year so i decided to help others, so feel free o have a look and i hope they will be of help to some of yous :)http://leaving-cert-helpnotes.blogspot.ie/

Thanks so much for that PictureFrame :) Will definitely come in handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭validusername1

i would say don't leave the studying 'till the night before each exam.. didn't turn out too well for some of us :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

Hi, I'm doing my leaving next year too and I was wondering if any of you 6th years who have just finished had any recommendations on things to do to make sure I'm prepared for next year.

I'm doing all honours in the following:
    English
    Irish
    Maths
    French
    Biology
    Chemistry
    German

I already plan on reading our 3rd text for the comparative for English and I'm currently writing out the list of biology definitions from my book in topic order, but I'm looking for more suggestions like this. I don't mean I'm going to go study but just things like, make sure you have x, y and z in order and it will make your life 10 times easier. I wont have a huge amount of free time next year so I just want to have everything ready by the end of August so that I'm ready to go and won't be spending valuable time doing things I could've done now when I'm free most days!

Any advice would be appreciated, by other people too I'm sure! Thanks a million!
    :)

Hi, I'm doing my leaving next year too and I was wondering if any of you 6th years who have just finished had any recommendations on things to do to make sure I'm prepared for next year.

I'm doing all honours in the following:
    English
    Irish
    Maths
    French
    Biology
    Chemistry
    German

I already plan on reading our 3rd text for the comparative for English and I'm currently writing out the list of biology definitions from my book in topic order, but I'm looking for more suggestions like this. I don't mean I'm going to go study but just things like, make sure you have x, y and z in order and it will make your life 10 times easier. I wont have a huge amount of free time next year so I just want to have everything ready by the end of August so that I'm ready to go and won't be spending valuable time doing things I could've done now when I'm free most days!

Any advice would be appreciated, by other people too I'm sure! Thanks a million!
    :)

I wrote out some tips for Biology if you want to give it a look, it's on page 3 I think! But here are a few things I would do early on(and what I should have done earlier! :rolleyes:)

English - Do a lot of reading over the summer. I swear this is so helpful for English. It really improves your vocab/writing etc. without you even realising it! Throughout your Leaving you'll probably be too busy to dedicate time for reading, but I used to read for a bit before I went to sleep, so consider doing this too ;) If you want a good bit done for English before you go back, type up a few essays on poetry, comparative, etc. and print them off. Then when you return, you can get them corrected straight away. I used to wait for my teacher to assign essays but really you should do them on your own accord. Plus typing them is way easier/faster and it allows you to read over it and make a lot of changes where necessary.

Irish - I'm going to assume you're doing 5 poems, 5 stories and extra literature. Do not spend a whole lot of time on these, as they're only worth about 5% or something. You should have a quick summary on each story, and read over each one a good few times. Also get a sheet and dedicate one page only to each poem(and another poem on the reverse side, so you don't waste paper ;)). Include all the important things on that sheet in key points only. E.g. The theme of the poem, techniques, feelings, metre, poet.. etc. You don't need a whole load of notes for these poems and stories and I was sorted with those sheets only. The extra lit., I did A Thig Na Tit Orm and just got a page or two and wrote a small paragraph on the main events in the book. You should spend most of your time on the oral imo; 40% is a lot! If you can, go to the Gaeltacht, but it's not necessary ;) Start early so you can get comfortable speaking and try sound more natural and not learned-off. Listen to Raidio na Gaeltachta or watch TG4 if you can!

German - Again try start early with the oral. Write out Q&A's or points on all the main topics such as family, school, hobbies, etc. and then go onto more specific topics like the environment, health, etc. They probably won't ask you anything beyond the norm, unless you're fluent or something, but having more topics prepared also helps for your written. Also do not neglect practicing grammar. You can just do the ones in the exam papers but also go a bit further and find a book on german grammar with some exercises.

This is probably a bit more detailed than you expected :P I can't give you any tips on Maths as I neglected it myself ;) I see you're doing two sciences and two languages? Are you able to do all of them in school or do you do some at home? I'm just wondering because they were conflicting subjects in my school!

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

I

I wrote out some tips for Biology if you want to give it a look, it's on page 3 I think! But here are a few things I would do early on(and what I should have done earlier! :rolleyes:)

English - Do a lot of reading over the summer. I swear this is so helpful for English. It really improves your vocab/writing etc. without you even realising it! Throughout your Leaving you'll probably be too busy to dedicate time for reading, but I used to read for a bit before I went to sleep, so consider doing this too ;) If you want a good bit done for English before you go back, type up a few essays on poetry, comparative, etc. and print them off. Then when you return, you can get them corrected straight away. I used to wait for my teacher to assign essays but really you should do them on your own accord. Plus typing them is way easier/faster and it allows you to read over it and make a lot of changes where necessary.

Irish - I'm going to assume you're doing 5 poems, 5 stories and extra literature. Do not spend a whole lot of time on these, as they're only worth about 5% or something. You should have a quick summary on each story, and read over each one a good few times. Also get a sheet and dedicate one page only to each poem(and another poem on the reverse side, so you don't waste paper ;)). Include all the important things on that sheet in key points only. E.g. The theme of the poem, techniques, feelings, metre, poet.. etc. You don't need a whole load of notes for these poems and stories and I was sorted with those sheets only. The extra lit., I did A Thig Na Tit Orm and just got a page or two and wrote a small paragraph on the main events in the book. You should spend most of your time on the oral imo; 40% is a lot! If you can, go to the Gaeltacht, but it's not necessary ;) Start early so you can get comfortable speaking and try sound more natural and not learned-off. Listen to Raidio na Gaeltachta or watch TG4 if you can!

German - Again try start early with the oral. Write out Q&A's or points on all the main topics such as family, school, hobbies, etc. and then go onto more specific topics like the environment, health, etc. They probably won't ask you anything beyond the norm, unless you're fluent or something, but having more topics prepared also helps for your written. Also do not neglect practicing grammar. You can just do the ones in the exam papers but also go a bit further and find a book on german grammar with some exercises.

This is probably a bit more detailed than you expected :P I can't give you any tips on Maths as I neglected it myself ;) I see you're doing two sciences and two languages? Are you able to do all of them in school or do you do some at home? I'm just wondering because they were conflicting subjects in my school!

Thanks a million thats really helpful! I know what you mean about not having time to read during the school year, I'm currently working my way through a few things at the moment!

Oh yeah I'm doing all my subjects at school, French is compulsory for us (meaning it can be streamed to which is great!) and then we have four option lines do we're spoilt for choice really! very few do German though, Im one of 5 in my class and 3 of the other guys don't do French because they moved schools and other various reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Rooneysdaman

I am a parent of a lazy boy going into his LC year at school who hasn't a clue how to work/study. He is not a strong student because he has no interest, doesn't do a tap of work and now he is running out of time. He wants to do a FETAC Level 5 course next year (Sport & Leisure - soccer skills) and I am trying to find out exactly how good he needs his Leaving Cert to be in order to get a place on this course.

What advice would you as students give to me as a parent to help him have a practical plan to get through next year and do the best he can? I've given him the motivational talks, he knows what's at stake and genuinely wants to 'buckle down' and see what he can pull off. The problem is, he has no clue HOW to do it, how to start. I'm currently studying myself and unfortunately, I'm away doing that during the academic year so won't be around to 'make' him do it. I'm trying to do everything I can this summer to get him up and running and would welcome any and all advice/help. I've started this week with sitting down and doing an hour each of Biology and Chemistry with him as they are his 2 weakest subjects.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Plath

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

<loads and loads of awesome info>
    Hey since you volunteered, at any stage of your life (preferably before June 2013) would you be able to break down the whole Factor Cost/Market Prices National/Domestic product thing? Pretty much all of it just went over my head this year :/

I am a parent of a lazy boy going into his LC year at school who hasn't a clue how to work/study. He is not a strong student because he has no interest, doesn't do a tap of work and now he is running out of time. He wants to do a FETAC Level 5 course next year (Sport & Leisure - soccer skills) and I am trying to find out exactly how good he needs his Leaving Cert to be in order to get a place on this course.

What advice would you as students give to me as a parent to help him have a practical plan to get through next year and do the best he can? I've given him the motivational talks, he knows what's at stake and genuinely wants to 'buckle down' and see what he can pull off. The problem is, he has no clue HOW to do it, how to start. I'm currently studying myself and unfortunately, I'm away doing that during the academic year so won't be around to 'make' him do it. I'm trying to do everything I can this summer to get him up and running and would welcome any and all advice/help. I've started this week with sitting down and doing an hour each of Biology and Chemistry with him as they are his 2 weakest subjects.

Thanks!

It's a shame you're away, because I really think it's helpful to have someone there to make sure you're doing something, but anyway, onto the point :D First of all I would find out what exactly he needs for his course, and write down those requirements as a goal(if it's certain grades he needs). If it's points, then assess what grades he's capable of getting and see what points they add up to, then try and match the points requirement. I found working towards specific grades more motivating than just studying for nothing. Draw up a plan for the week with topics to be studied, such as Biology - ecology, and so on. Although this is useless unless he actually sits down to learn them, so you should try and find out what kind of learner he is, i.e. does he need to say things out loud to remember them, or write them down or turn them into a diagram? I had a friend who was quite lazy and found that telling, or teaching, the information to another friend was a lot more helpful in remembering the info. Just experiment with a few different ways to see how he best remembers things! You could also use rewards and consequences as a motivator for studying. This probably may results in anger if you take away his phone or something but it's worth a try ;) To sum up, you need a long term goal and short term(weekly/daily) goals, imo. I was quite lazy myself for my Junior Cert. and did nothing until the night before each exam :rolleyes: I don't know why but I really knuckled down in 5th year and worked consistently until the end of my Leaving.

deise_girl wrote: »
    Hey since you volunteered, at any stage of your life (preferably before June 2013) would you be able to break down the whole Factor Cost/Market Prices National/Domestic product thing? Pretty much all of it just went over my head this year :/
    I will of course! I'll try and get it done tomorrow, if I don't do it tomorrow i've probably forgotten so give me a PM to remind me and i'll kick my áss into gear and get it done for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭shinesun

Ok. So here’s a little guide to Economics, I’ll just try and write about a little bit about exam preparation, the exam and how to do well in the exams (albeit I haven’t gotten results yet but I’m hoping for minimum of an A2’s in it, I’m less than 5 days after finishing them so the information is fresh in my mind.

ECONOMICS:

For me, Economics was without doubt the best subject in the Leaving certificate. The content is interesting and very relevant and the exam has a lot of choice so you can play to your strengths and do extremely well.
    So, as you probably know, Economics is divided into 2 main sections: Micro and Macro. Now you probably have a favourite section already, but this can change. I loved Macro throughout 5th year, was kinda frightened of Micro, ended up loving Micro in 6th year and 3 of my Questions were Micro-Economics in the Leaving Cert.

For Economics, the exam is extremely student friendly. The choice is SUPERBE and possibly the best in the entire leaving cert. Just incase you don’t know the exam structure this is out it is laid out:

• Section 1- Short Questions

These are worth 25% of the entire exam, (100/400). They give you 9, you do any 6.

Now, to get full marks in these, you have to do the last 4 questions as they are worth 17 marks each (Q1-5 are worth 16 marks each).

Do all 9 however, they are usually very easy and EXTREMELY repetitive. I got 100/100 in the Mock in this section, just by practising the shorts from the exam papers. It’s extremely handy!

Section 2- Long Questions

These are worth 300 marks (75% of the exam). You do any 4 from 8 given questions, which truly is a fantastic choice!

Q’S 1, 2, 3 are usually Micro, with the remainder of the paper being Macro (however Q’S 1-4 were Micro this year).

MICRO-ECONOMICS:

For next year in particular, the main topics for micro to revise are:

• Supply and Demand (not on for the first time EVER in 2012)
    • Elasticity (came up as 50 marks in 2012 but still very possible as a long question)
    • Factors of Production (Land, Labour, Capital especially)
    • Market Structures (Imperfect Competition, Monopoly, Oligopoly)

I think you could nearly disregard Costs at this stage, I was extremely surprised to see another full Costs question on the paper this year, the first time ever costs has been asked 2 years in a row

MACRO-ECONOMICS:

Now for Macro, my only advice is: DON’T FORGET THE ECONOMISTS. They focused on 2 separate questions this year, (Q.5, Q.8) Malthus and Keynes, and if you didn’t know them, a nice question was thrown out the window! They’re essential and not that difficult to study! Make sure you know Smith, Marshall, Friedman, Ricardo for 2013!

A dead cert. for next year is National Income. It wasn’t on the paper this year, the 2nd time ever they’ve done this in the last 17 years. Know how to calculate the multiplier, how to draw the Circular flow of income, the elements of aggregate demand, uses/limitations of National Income statistics, the definitions (GNP at factor cost etc.) they’re essential!

The Government and Economy Questions are so, so important too! There’s always at least 2 Short questions and a long question about government aims/objectives, conflicting objectives, national debt, taxes, Current budget surplus/deficit, Public sector borrowing requirement etc. There were two long questions based on this topic this year AFAIK, Q.6+8. It was never really my ‘forte’ but you should have an idea of it anyway!

Another major topic you should know from Macro for next year is Money & Banking. Didn’t come up this year, I’d say it’s a guarantee for next year.

Inflation is also important, I was surprised not to see it on this years paper, it’s very easy and if you get a Consumer Price Index to calculate for 20/25 marks, you’re in heaven!

So for Macro, the main topics to study (In my opinion) for next year are:
    • History of Economic Thought
    • National Income
    • Government and Economy
    • Money and Banking
    • Inflation

That’s all I can really think of for now, if you have any more specific questions feel free to ask! I <3 me some Economics! :D

Thanks for that. Would you rec over honours English?
    I did English before but was not so keen on it. Had a terrible teacher tho so that was a big part.
    Would it be possible to get at least a b1 rote learning with economics?
    Say with biology there is only one correct answer, would it be the same with economics or? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 20 zinny

hey guys im doing my leaving certificate next year also and i was wandering if any of ye 6th years have any tips and recommendations on how to be better prepared for next year.

I am doing these subjects all in honours level
    English
    Maths
    Irish
    French
    LCVP
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Home ec
    Religion; im taking this as an extra so any tips will be appreciated!

For English i plan on learning my poetry and comparatives studies im looking for high marks in this subject as well as maths and irish so any tips will be very welcome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

zinny wrote: »
    hey guys im doing my leaving certificate next year also and i was wandering if any of ye 6th years have any tips and recommendations on how to be better prepared for next year.

I am doing these subjects all in honours level
    English
    Maths
    Irish
    French
    LCVP
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Home ec
    Religion; im taking this as an extra so any tips will be appreciated!

For English i plan on learning my poetry and comparatives studies im looking for high marks in this subject as well as maths and irish so any tips will be very welcome!

English- READ. Read tonnes and tonnes of books over the summer!

Same for French. Read Harry potter in french, or the hunger games.

Also, If you already have 8 HL Subjects, are you sure you want to do LCVP? It would take up a lot of time and if you dont think you'll get less than a b2 in any of you subjects it is pointless to do it. That's what I did. I didn't bother with it as I had 8HL already and I was certain I wouldn't get under a B2.

Maths- Practice. Also, do some outside research. Look into other ways of nswering a question. It will help with the stupid ProjectMaths.

Irish- Speak in Irish as often as possible. And head to the gaeltacht. You don't need to know essays off by heart. Just learn the grammar off and you can make up the essay on the spot. It saves time and flows better.

ChemHickey wrote: »
    English- READ. Read tonnes and tonnes of books over the summer!

Same for French. Read Harry potter in french, or the hunger games.

Also, If you already have 8 HL Subjects, are you sure you want to do LCVP? It would take up a lot of time and if you dont think you'll get less than a b2 in any of you subjects it is pointless to do it. That's what I did. I didn't bother with it as I had 8HL already and I was certain I wouldn't get under a B2.

Maths- Practice. Also, do some outside research. Look into other ways of nswering a question. It will help with the stupid ProjectMaths.

Irish- Speak in Irish as often as possible. And head to the gaeltacht. You don't need to know essays off by heart. Just learn the grammar off and you can make up the essay on the spot. It saves time and flows better.

Did you find LCVP time consuming? I spent no time on it whatsoever as it was kind of like CSPE to me :pac: But then again I did Business so maybe that helped..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Did you find LCVP time consuming? I spent no time on it whatsoever as it was kind of like CSPE to me :pac: But then again I did Business so maybe that helped..

I never did it! I was put into the class and I was like... No,I ain't doing this. The OP of this question isn't doing business. If I were him, I wouldn't bother with it. I spent the LCVP classes doing music and homework for other classes! It gave me valuable resting time during my two years of LCprep!

Advertisement