Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

www.apple.ie.totalfreegiveaway.com

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 marjfra

Just received notification 10 mins ago that I had won a prize! Tis is just bnonsense! Site doesn't exist. In these days of economic harship this just seems like cruel and unusual punishment! How can we stop them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 MartiX

I got this same. To claim I should go to "www.apple.ie.totalfreegiveaway.com"
    When you look at this address it seems to be the apple company address, but is NOT. In this case apple.ie is subdomain of totalfreegiveaway.com
    Everybody can have address like "www.apple.ie.(mydomain).com"

• Registered Users Posts: 4 AnotherSociety

Same crap here Winner of the day! go to http: //www.apple.ietotalfreegiveaway.com to claim your prize Number was +1(786)*******

• Registered Users Posts: 3 derodster

I just got my invo too.....more bloody c**p to contend with.

As previous said......dont reply , just delete.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Dec4

I got this today too and am very careful with my mobile details. I haven't ever gone near Liberty or Quinn for a quote so doubt if it's that.
    Would it be worth contacting Comreg on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Just got it a few hours ago from +1631*******, googled the number and ended up here. I was also dealing with Liberty Insurance couple of days ago. Didn't go with them but got a quote. It's definitely connected with them as mentioned above. Spammers - nothing else! And to make it worse it's illegal !

I don't think its connected at all. I also got the text at 217am this morning but it was to a sim I've not used in a few years! Liberty Insurance were not even here then!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Complain to the Data Protection Commissioner: http://www.dataprotection.ie/ViewDoc.asp?fn=/documents/rights/2f.htm&CatID=21&m=r

I have done so before after getting unsolicited texts and they have followed up and taken action.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Irelandscall84

Wow, what could possibly make you think it has anything to do with Liberty Insurance? By that logic, you gave your number to that girl in the bar last night, so it must be her :D I work for Liberty and I must say, their Data Protection regulations are absolutely excellent. They are a new company trying to break into the Irish market and stupid comments like that are not going to help them in any way. Have some common sense before you start throwing wild accusations at people.

Also notice that pretty much everywhere you look online/in the media/bus shelters has an ad for Liberty, they're investing alot on advertisement this year to get market recognition. Websites rent space to advertising agencies and generally have very little input into what is put there. Them appearing on the website you were directed to is pure coincidence. However, given that they are advertising on pretty much every website, its not that big a coincidence!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I haven't looked but it could be worth checking liberty's T&C's. Does it say theyy can share your info with anyone if you agree to them?

Numbers can be acquired from anywhere. Many sites that require you to input your personal info also ask that you agree to let them share it with their subsidiaries or partners. People usualy agree or miss the option to opt out as they so often confuse you:
    Tick here if you agree to your info being shared
    Tick here if you disagree with your info remaining private.
    Or they require you to untick a box to remain private. Lots of ways to get your info shared which people may not have tome to read carefully. And as I said before even friends webtexts systems could be hacked and your details found. Although it is interesting to see liberty as a common enough theme in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Got this text yesterday, so are you terlling me they have lied and im not Irelands winner:D:D:D

Must be some spam crap again just don't give any infor on the site it brings you to and ya will be grand:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Irelandscall84

cookie1977 wrote: »
    I haven't looked but it could be worth checking liberty's T&C's. Does it say theyy can share your info with anyone if you agree to them?

Numbers can be acquired from anywhere. Many sites that require you to input your personal info also ask that you agree to let them share it with their subsidiaries or partners. People usualy agree or miss the option to opt out as they so often confuse you:
    Tick here if you agree to your info being shared
    Tick here if you disagree with your info remaining private.
    Or they require you to untick a box to remain private. Lots of ways to get your info shared which people may not have tome to read carefully. And as I said before even friends webtexts systems could be hacked and your details found. Although it is interesting to see liberty as a common enough theme in this thread.

They are a new insurance company, pretty much everyone in the country has gotten a quote off them in the past 6 months, I'd nothing more than seeing if their prices are competitive. It's only a common theme coz one idiot blamed them initially, which got another idiot thinking "Hey I was speaking to them too, it must be them". If idiot no.1 said he got a quote from Axa then that would be the common theme. Makes no sense!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Walshie

I just got it now and the phone number +1 631 ********.

Is there anything we can do about this or can we all make a complaint somewhere - ComReg maybe? Any ideas . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I get spam emails all the time, why should this be any different? Just delete the text, it would take a longer time to report this than it would to delete the text 100 times

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Walshie

With respect frozenfrozen, if you're not interested in reporting it that's up to you but I'm of the thinking prevention is better than cure

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Guys, check your bill online to see you didn't get charged for those texts.

It is possible to be spammed by texts AND be charged for each of them without doing anything to solicit them. As mentioned already in this thread it happened to me when I thought ignoring them was the best option.

Sounds like a different scam so hopefully that won't be the case - but it costs nothing to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Kato74

Well the missus is not well up on this stuff at all:rolleyes:

She of course went on to the website, submitted my name, Address & an e-mail address (adress that I only use for crap).

Should I contact my phone provider & make them aware???

• Registered Users Posts: 39 k8coconut

also received this dodgy text - when inserted in browser directs to
    zinga - doesnt sound authentic so deleted text.........

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Liz9093

I got the message on my phone that I had been picked as Irelands winner for the day and directed to a website www.apple.ie etc but when you log in it is Zinga an auction type site..don't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 hardibuck

Just got that text too. It's the first time I've received such a message. When I searched on google, it brought me to this thread. Funnily enough I can't see myself divulging any more personnel details to this crowd:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

I dont think its anything to do with Liberty etc. Ive never gone near them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭aoshea83

Got the message last night *sigh*

I'm Vodafone with an 087 number, is everyone here who received the texts on different providers?

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

Woo I won one aswell. haha Some chancers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭eddiem10

http://www.callercenter.com/314642943.html

If you are with Vodafone forward the message (or any spam ) to 50005, no charge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 The Movers

i got the same from this number ...1 631 ********

ni idea..........:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9 garrybenson

libertyfly wrote: »
    I received the exact same at 09.21 this morning. Joining the dots: yesterday I was looking for an insurance quote for my car and I filled in a form online with Liberty Insurance [I didn't go with them] and when I googled up the link for the winner of the day I ended up here, and as it happened the first pop up ad was from Liberty Insurance; that part is probably coincidence. Insurance/assurance companies generally have a poor reputation in my book. They probably flog potential [+ real] customers information to anyone who will buy it. Also, about a week ago, If I recall correctly, I entered for some i Pad competition [I'm pretty sure it was legit]. Bottom line: we've been spammed!

Reading your reply I was intrigued as I had only last night completed an Allianz Insurance form (and accepted the very good quote). Coincidence??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

I'm not speculating, but I hightly doubt big Insurance companies would give your numbers away hat easily. I can understand for some third parties but definately not spammers.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

I just got the message from +(832)******* I'm 087 but with O2. I have never given my phone number to any insurance company, lots of other companies have it for sure, but not Liberty, Allianz etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Been getting loads of these as well and the number doesn't come up. How did they even get my number?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Guys something is happening, I've no insurance at all and i got about 3 of these messages in the space of 20 mins.

I'm 087 but with meteor. So far i haven't gotten charged, i'll go f*cking mad if i do.

Could it of been an app we all installed, i'm on android so i'll be deleting any apps i've installed over the last few days

EDIT *got got another two, that's five altogether

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

for the people on meteor , forward the msg to 50002.

The more people that send it the quicker they will take action.

My credit is still the same , so fingers crossed

Advertisement