Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 time Irish Am Heavyweight champion turns pro at 39

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭slapbangwallop

cowzerp wrote: »
    Exactly, how many pro Irish heavy weights are their? And then how many that would be above that title level, achieving this means nothing and it's just an owl fella trying to make a few quid 15 years too late.

There are 11 active boxers that qualify for the Irish title.

The weight is falling off Stephen and he could now make cruiser I reckon, there are another 10 at that weight.

Yeah maybe he loves his sport and wants to challenge himself but unfortunately for him that doesn't mean anyone will care or be interested.

well he's shifted nearly 100 tickets already and there is a month to go to his fight. Thats pretty darn good, seems some people are interested, especially as the fight is over a 3 hour drive from his hometown!

AvwmAQRCEAARvuH.jpg:large

Has he suddenly just started loving it now at 39, he could have done it years ago.

The Pro Irish Title is way below the Amateur Irish Titles he has won so it been a dream for him is just ridiculous, may be a goal now but it won't compare to his already won titles against good opposition.

There is only 4 Irish boxers at the weight and there is no Champion in the division meaning his aim is to win a title that has nobody to challenge and nobody good enough to compete for it.

The best of the 4 is Sean Monaghan who has beat 14 punch bags
    Paddy McDonagh who is ranked 2nd lost his last fight to a 7-25-1 talent

I would categories this post as "significantly factually incorrect"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

Look his goal is to win a title that he could ask for today! it's his if he wants it, all he has to do is say he want's to fight for it and they will bring in some hand bag with an Irish passport to be battered.

He's competing at cruiserweight and Tims is no handbag!
    He is making his debut against Moses Matuvo. Moses is a journeyman but a good one, I've seen him in England a couple of times, once being robbed in York hall, and again losing to the much bigger Danny Price in Manchester where imo he won a couple of rounds. Moses has six weeks notice for this in his adopted home town as opposed to 2 days notice and flying over to England and be put up in some rat infested hostel.

In truth all pro's should make their debut against someone like Moses, it will be an actual test, a tough one if you ask me. Moses gives decent young prospects trouble never mind an aged unknown quantity like Reynolds. Having said that I applaude him for seeking out a substantial challenge for his debut and putting it on the line with a live opponent.

I know for a fact the money isn't the motivator and I agree with the above, the pro title he is chasing is much much much inferior to the Irish am title, which imo, is one of the more prestigious national title in the world of boxing.
    I think Stephen would box am if he could, I spoke with him a year ago and he mentioned some masters circuit (35-45 y/o boxers??) that he was hoping would start up as he said he missed being in the ring. Pro is probably the only avenue he can go down now and I wish him all the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

could he not have entered prizefighter??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,595 ✭✭✭✭walshb

If the crop of pros at 200 lbs and above is anyway competitive and decent for this country then Reynolds won't win any title. He's been out of any real competitive action (amateur) far too long. I don't know why he is doing it, but I wish him luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭coolegrain

Yeah maybe he loves his sport and wants to challenge himself but unfortunately for him that doesn't mean anyone will care or be interested.

certainly a lot of opinions on this thread..seeing as people are not interested as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ghost.

If the crop of pros at 200 lbs and above is anyway competitive and decent for this country then Reynolds won't win any title. He's been out of any real competitive action (amateur) far too long.
    That would depend on what you consider decent. I know he isnt a world champion but I wouldnt consider the likes of Tims a pushover.

I think at cruiserweight there are a couple of tough fights ahead of him on the way to an Irish title. Thats provided they dont just give it to him if he asks :rolleyes:

He has prepared well and his sparring is going good so I think theres a good chance he could do well against some competitive decent opposition. And he is jumping in at the deep end a bit with Moses, fair enough he may not have the best record but he still has over 20 fights. Thats a lot of experience for a guy on his pro debut.
    could he not have entered prizefighter??
    Im not sure but Id say thats more for fighters how have a few fights behind them and established themselves a bit already. I dont think it would be a wise move to try drop a guy into it for his debut.

538203_245818218862386_350590716_n.jpg

Stephen Reynolds was interviewed on national radio on the Mooney Live Show on RTE Radio 1 today about his work as a parking warden and his pro debut Belfast on July 21st with Emerald Promotions.

You can listen back to the show on the link below. Skip 38mins in for the 6 minute long interview.

Did anyone listen to the show? Seems to be a lot of radio shows in Sligo at the moment.

http://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=9%3A3330783%3A82%3A28%2D06%2D2012%3A

• Advertisement

Alio Wilton on Moses Matovu vs Stephen Reynolds in Belfast on July 21

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

How did reynolds fare in the amateurs outside of Ireland?

Reynolds looking in decent nick yesterday!

255322_390501654344524_114736006_n.jpg

Stephen Reynolds talks to Steve Bunce on BoxNation TV about his professional boxing debut in Belfast

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

It'll be interesting to see how this goes for him.
    He was a tasty amateur but this is an entirely different ball game. I'd imagine that it's probably been on his mind for a couple of years and he's probably going for it now before he hits the big 4-O - To get it out of his system if nothing else. There's plenty of guys around in all sports who 'Could have....if only...' and spend their later years lamenting it so fair dues to him for giving it a go. Some will say it's foolish but I don't think he is.
    I've no doubt that he'll be in good shape but the years out of serious competition will probably go against him.
    Best of luck to him anyway whichever way it goes.

Stephen Reynolds and Moses Matovu weigh-in for their fight in Belfast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtbMs5My00U&feature=channel&list=UL

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ghost.

Well, how did Stephen Reynolds get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

According to boxrec Reynolds won on points.

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=616706&cat=boxer

Stephen Reynolds debut fight with Moses Matovu in Belfast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dziM4_OgqSI

• Advertisement

309312_396270503767639_1809363087_n.jpg

Stephen Reynolds talks about his fight on 'Rumble in Dublin' bill on November 3rd

Advertisement