Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 time Irish Am Heavyweight champion turns pro at 39

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Not interested, too late and a waste of time.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,595 ✭✭✭✭walshb

cowzerp wrote: »
    Not interested, too late and a waste of time.

I couldn't agree more.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭slapbangwallop

wow, positivity!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

they should forget about it far to late

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Can success still be achieved?

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭coolegrain

am interested...mans got an aim to win an irish title, a realistic aim considering his pedigree and age...if he does get that title he wants then it wasn't a waste of time...if he was younger he'd be aiming higher.
    the age of writing off boxers, especially at higher weights, because they are over the mid-30's are gone...i don't need to rhyme off all the names who have competed at the highest level at over that age.
    don't be interested if you wouldnt be interested if he was 25...but not to be interested just based on his age alone is being a little niave.....the sport is built on people like reynolds, he's no waste of time.

barney4001 wrote: »
    they should forget about it far to late

easy for people like us to say typing behind screens....but for the man who's trained in the sport all his life and put so much into it, how can we say they should forget it...how many people told 39 yr old archie moore to forget it when he was closing in on a world title shot, only to go on and become one of the sports legends...it's arrogant for followers of the sport to tell a boxer with a dream, however small, to forget it......if it was a situation of a boxer getting badly hurt because he was going to get outclassed, maybe...but that doesn't apply here...reynolds at this age, in this class he will be competing in, will still be competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ghost.

I think its great to see him go pro. Im really interested to see how he gets on. It is a pity him and the brother didnt have a go at it years ago, I think he would have done very well. Hes definitely got the ability to win a few fights and hes definitely going to be competitive.

I know some will think hes past it because of his age and not a threat. The bright side to that is that he shouldnt have a problem getting quick fights if hes seen as just a push over. I think that is not the case though, he is going to give some guys problems.
    it's arrogant for followers of the sport to tell a boxer with a dream, however small, to forget it......
    I agree sure just look at Rocky Balboa :p

wow, positivity!! :D

Well, put it this way, I don't think the Klits will be too concerned!:)

coolegrain wrote: »
    don't be interested if you wouldnt be interested if he was 25...but not to be interested just based on his age alone is being a little niave.....the sport is built on people like reynolds, he's no waste of time.

Pro boxing is not built on 39 year old debutants, you're the 1 been naive here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

I think it's fair to say it's a young mans game with only a few exceptions. Which is what makes Reynolds debut interesting. Here is a man who would have been hot property ten years ago making his debut against a ballsy journeyman who will be looking for the win. Reynolds refused to fight the normal canon fodder debutants face. He's looking for an Irish title fight in 5-6 fights time and will work his way up in competitive matches from the start.
    Looking forward to seeing what he has to offer, especially against a guy like Moses who has bags more experience.

• Advertisement

Pro boxing is not built on 39 year old debutants, you're the 1 been naive here.

reynolds was not born yesterday aged 39.....he is a 5 time amatuer irish heavyweight champion...who has trained another irish heavyweight champion and ran a sucessful boxing club for many years...mick dowling called him one of the finest irish amatuer coaches.
    the man has given his life to the sport.

i stand by my quote - boxing, including pro boxing which many amatuers go on to, is build on people like stephen.

reynolds was not born yesterday aged 39.....he is a 5 time amatuer irish heavyweight champion...who has trained another irish heavyweight champion and ran a sucessful boxing club for many years...mick dowling called him one of the finest irish amatuer coaches.
    the man has given his life to the sport.

i stand by my quote - boxing, including pro boxing which many amatuers go on to, is build on people like stephen.

Nobody is questioning his pedigree, success and dedication thru the years at amateur level. Right now the PRO sport is not based on a 39 year old former amateur. It's a non event as far as I am concerned.

well..seems we have a stand-off on this...i think the man deserves his shot, he's worked for it.

if he makes it to an irish title, which is all he is aiming for...if he makes it (i'm guessing you think he wont)..will you come back on here and still say it was a waste of time him turning pro ?...or would you consider that sucessful ?

well..seems we have a stand-off on this...i think the man deserves his shot, he's worked for it.

if he makes it to an irish title, which is all he is aiming for...if he makes it (i'm guessing you think he wont)..will you come back on here and still say it was a waste of time him turning pro ?...or would you consider that sucessful ?

If his main goal is to win a pro Irish Heavyweight Title and he achieves this I will applaud him. I will also wonder what the level of competition is which allows a 39 year old newbie to the pro game can become the best pro HW in the country.

walshb wrote: »
    I will also wonder what the level of competition is which allows a 39 year old newbie to the pro game can become the best pro HW in the country.

you couldn't help yourself.....even if he achieves what he sets out to, there'll be people belittling it.

you couldn't help yourself.....even if he achieves what he sets out to, there'll be people belittling it.

Not belittling him at all. Questioning the level of talent at HW in the country. C'mon, surely this is only to be realised?

whilst Walshy is a notorious moaning c*** I still love him and he has a point.

This could be over in one fight, no one knows what he has left in the tank, probably not even Reynolds.

Sparring is going very well from what I hear and tickets are flying. Time will tell but he's got a tough enough opener and we will know a lot more after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

If this means the fecker will stop giving me parking tickets when im back in sligo the im all for it.

Best of luck stephen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

Must be strapped for cash.

walshb wrote: »
    Not belittling him at all. Questioning the level of talent at HW in the country. C'mon, surely this is only to be realised?

Exactly, how many pro Irish heavy weights are their? And then how many that would be above that title level, achieving this means nothing and it's just an owl fella trying to make a few quid 15 years too late.

• Advertisement

Must be strapped for cash.
    Exactly, how many pro Irish heavy weights are their? And then how many that would be above that title level, achieving this means nothing and it's just an owl fella trying to make a few quid 15 years too late.

if either of ye think that this is a way to make money then you are either naive or deluded!

the only people making money at the moment are those in White Collar boxing or *cough*MMA*cough*

he'd had a solid job for years and run a boxing club as well. The pennies he'd earn from a career at this stage would probably be just enough to pay for his medicals and licence! Believe me!

if either of ye think that this is a way to make money then you are either naive or deluded!

the only people making money at the moment are those in White Collar boxing or *cough*MMA*cough*

he'd had a solid job for years and run a boxing club as well. The pennies he'd earn from a career at this stage would probably be just enough to pay for his medicals and licence! Believe me!

Yor're both naieve and deluded, only reason to box pro is to make money-The pro Irish title is worthless and can be won by absolutely nobodies so it is not like he is reaching some amazing dream, His amateur titles are worth far more than that title which is rarely competed for by 2 decent lads.

MMA cough cough cough!!! I run an MMA promotion myself and have a few pro fighters under me too and the money is very small, even at the top end in Ireland the pay for fighters is nothing-unless you get to fight on the world stage the money is simply not there, at the same stage in Boxing you would be on far far more money.

Yor're both naieve and deluded, only reason to box pro is to make money
    You are wrong. Did you ever hear of somebody loving their sport? Or want challenge themselves to see if they can do somthing? Thats the case here, he loves his sport, lives for boxing and he would like to challenge himself and see what he can achieve.

If I said 'the only reason to fight in MMA is to make money it would be the same thing'. Its not for everyone and I doubt many lads in Ireland fighting will get rich out of it but some people like the challenge and thats why they make the commitment to the training and try do well at competing in their sport. Maybe the promoters in MMA and Boxing are a different story, they may make decent money but most fighters dont.

Yes he is having a go at it very late on and ideally he should have done it 10 yrs ago. He could have done a lot if he had. But hes not doing it to late to achive his ultimate goal which is win an Irish title, which in my opinion would be a good achievement. I couldnt swan in and win one :D
    achieving this means nothing and it's just an owl fella trying to make a few quid 15 years too late.
    He may have a few years on the clock but hes not strapped for cash, he has a good job and isnt doing it for the money. Hes doing it for the challenge, Id say what he would make out of it would be minimal. The man just loves his sport and is having a go at a few pro fights while he still can.

And although some may think winning an Irish title means nothing it does mean somthing to him.

I hope he does well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

Ghost. wrote: »
    Yor're both naieve and deluded, only reason to box pro is to make money
    You are wrong. Did you ever hear of somebody loving their sport? Or want challenge themselves to see if they can do somthing? Thats the case here, he loves his sport, lives for boxing and he would like to challenge himself and see what he can achieve.

If I said 'the only reason to fight in MMA is to make money it would be the same thing'. Its not for everyone and I doubt many lads in Ireland fighting will get rich out of it but some people like the challenge and thats why they make the commitment to the training and try do well at competing in their sport. Maybe the promoters in MMA and Boxing are a different story, they may make decent money but most fighters dont.

Yes he is having a go at it very late on and ideally he should have done it 10 yrs ago. He could have done a lot if he had. But hes not doing it to late to achive his ultimate goal which is win an Irish title, which in my opinion would be a good achievement. I couldnt swan in and win one :D
    achieving this means nothing and it's just an owl fella trying to make a few quid 15 years too late.
    He may have a few years on the clock but hes not strapped for cash, he has a good job and isnt doing it for the money. Hes doing it for the challenge, Id say what he would make out of it would be minimal. The man just loves his sport and is having a go at a few pro fights while he still can.

And although some may think winning an Irish title means nothing it does mean somthing to him.

I hope he does well.

Yeah maybe he loves his sport and wants to challenge himself but unfortunately for him that doesn't mean anyone will care or be interested.

You are wrong. Did you ever hear of somebody loving their sport?

Has he suddenly just started loving it now at 39, he could have done it years ago.

The Pro Irish Title is way below the Amateur Irish Titles he has won so it been a dream for him is just ridiculous, may be a goal now but it won't compare to his already won titles against good opposition.

There is only 4 Irish boxers at the weight and there is no Champion in the division meaning his aim is to win a title that has nobody to challenge and nobody good enough to compete for it.

The best of the 4 is Sean Monaghan who has beat 14 punch bags
    Paddy McDonagh who is ranked 2nd lost his last fight to a 7-25-1 talent

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Fair play to him go on and enjoy it but this isn't significant news to anyone and it probably isn't significant news to his pocket either.

Yeah maybe he loves his sport and wants to challenge himself but unfortunately for him that doesn't mean anyone will care or be interested.
    I dont agree, I there are a lot of people interested to see how he gets on. There seems to be plenty of disagreement on whether or not he will be successful or not at pro level. I think everyone agrees that how far he goes is limited a bit by his age. So people are interested in the outcome of this fight, all be it for different reasons.
    Nobody is under any illusion that he will be challenging the Clit brothers. But sure he isnt interested in going further than a few fights and maybe try win an Irish title.
    Has he suddenly just started loving it now at 39, he could have done it years ago.
    You seem to have missed the fact that he has always been involved in boxing since retiring as an amature and is widely regarded as being an excellent coach and runs a successful boxing club. So no he has not just started loving it at 39. He has just decided to take the plunge into the pro game at 39.
    And yes he could have done it years ago, we all know that. And I think everyone agrees had he done the odds of him being succussful would be much greater. However even at his age the goals he has set are achievable.
    There is no Champion in the division meaning his aim is to win a title that has nobody to challenge and nobody good enough to compete for it.
    I accept at the moment there may not be a champion at the moment. But sure what difference does that make. If he wins the title sure then we will get to see somebody fight him for it, and they might even win, IF they are good enough.
    Or do you think there should not be an Irish title?
    As for Irish amature boxing titles being of greater value than the Pro Irish Title, I agree. He fought and beat better boxers to win titles as an amature but what does that matter? He already has 5 of them, he doesnt have a Pro title. And hes to old to be allowed to fight as an amature any more. If he was allowed Im sure you would have seen him trying to win another amature title, but he cant, this is the only way he can compete in boxing as a fighter any more.
    There is only 4 Irish boxers at the weight
    I dont see that being a factor with him having a few fights at pro level. If he gets a win or two under his bet there will be plenty of people for him to fight as a pro, maybe not from Ireland. But thanks to the likes of Ryanair the UK and mainland Europe is easily accessable.

I accept at the moment there may not be a champion at the moment. But sure what difference does that make. If he wins the title sure then we will get to see somebody fight him for it, and they might even win, IF they are good enough.
    Or do you think there should not be an Irish title?

Look his goal is to win a title that he could ask for today! it's his if he wants it, all he has to do is say he want's to fight for it and they will bring in some hand bag with an Irish passport to be battered.

Well if they are handing Irish titles out so easily maybe he should just ask for it. I never thought of that. Ill bet he hasnt either.

If you think the owl fella could batter a handbag as you put it, theres hope for him winning a fight or two as a pro so. Thats all he wants.

• Advertisement

Yor're both naieve and deluded, only reason to box pro is to make money-The pro Irish title is worthless and can be won by absolutely nobodies so it is not like he is reaching some amazing dream, His amateur titles are worth far more than that title which is rarely competed for by 2 decent lads.

MMA cough cough cough!!! I run an MMA promotion myself and have a few pro fighters under me too and the money is very small, even at the top end in Ireland the pay for fighters is nothing-unless you get to fight on the world stage the money is simply not there, at the same stage in Boxing you would be on far far more money.

You are niamh! (ya I said it, you dress up in girls clothes!)

I know EXACTLY what he is getting for this fight, I also know exactly what is costs to turn pro.

You would make more money it you took a second job in McDonalds.

The Irish pro title is not worthless, not in my eyes anyway, the stature of the title has rocketed in the last 10 years. Not only in terms of how it is viewed by fight followers but this is also reflected by the number of times it has been contested and the calibre of fighter contesting it.

Advertisement