Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The battle of the Bog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    That is very clear but would you perhaps like to improve its overall clarity just a tad?? :D

Perhaps you might like to stop with your oblique insinuations and clearly state what you think is unconstitutional about the Habitats Directive and other legislation and why turf-cutting in your view does not require consent?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Friends of the Irish Environment FIE have a peculiar and generally entirely sociopathic view of environmental matters. I find it best to completely ignore them and everything they say. The are way out on the absolutely lunatic fringe of the electorally marginal Green Party.

The Irish constitution establishes the right to land ownershp Madsl and in order to extinguish a common law right that predates the constitution, EG Estovers, the constitution needs to be amended. Simples. verys verys Simples. :)

Nearly everybody in Ireland loathes the so called 'friends' who are nothing but a small cult like organisation. This small cult like organisation rely on constantly discovering mysterious and generally factually unsupported 'threats from Brussels' to get their way.

They are best ignored completely unless they are currently flying around overhead ......as they are known to do.

There is nothing to stop the 'friends' from campaigning for a constitutional amendment which will clarify matters for once and for all. But that "Birds" thing you keep referring to Madsl does not extinguish any right per se. Please stop relying on it.

The MANY people who have recently stopped cutting turf have been CONTRACTED to so do by the state and have abjured their Turbary or Fee Simple rights as a consequence of their entering a CONTRACT.

However there is no evidence of any individual breaching such a contract and the hysteria and bile emanating from the lunatic green fringe such as FIE is most unhelpful.

I would ask you to condemn this hysteria Madsl, you do seem like a reasonable type. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I must say I am quite enjoying this (as far as I can tell at least) well-informed debate from both sides...

My own opinion is the turf-cutters need to stop, but it's interesting to see why others disagree.

Although I wonder - are there any non-turf cutting, non-rural dwelling people in favour of the turf-cutters opinions?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I'm seeing two conflicting narratives here.

One is that there is no constitutional basis for a ban on turf-cutting, and - in effect - that the government are acting ultra vires in issuing such a ban, to the extent of having no constitutional right to do so.

The other is that the law is unjust and as such must be resisted through civil disobedience.

These are mutually exclusive. If there is a constitutional basis for challenging the ban, it should be taken through the courts. The failure to do so, and the fact that the civil disobedience route has been chosen instead, strongly implies that there is no such constitutional basis.

Open to correction.

oscarBravo wrote: »

Open to correction.
    Nearly there Oscarbravo. As there is no contitutional basis for a ban the state instead sought to enforce a ban through contract law which is a perfectly reasonable approach.

However the state appears not to have a contract with all of the rights owners, only with some of them.

Furthermore the state appears to have been grossly negligent in its performance of the contract especially where bog swaps and turf deliveries were involved.

• Advertisement

Friends of the Irish Environment FIE have a peculiar and generally entirely sociopathic view of environmental matters. I find it best to completely ignore them and everything they say. The are way out on the absolutely lunatic fringe of the electorally marginal Green Party.

Well, you have me there - I'm completely won over by your rational argument. What can I say.
    The Irish constitution establishes the right to land ownershp Madsl and in order to extinguish a common law right that predates the constitution, EG Estovers, the constitution needs to be amended.
    Riiiiighhhht! Remind me what constitutional amendments were required to introduce a planning system giving control over activities on citizen's own land in 1963? Remind me....can't seem to find one.
    Simples. verys verys Simples. :)
    Does anyone actually use this expression anymore?
    Nearly everybody in Ireland loathes the so called 'friends' who are nothing but a small cult like organisation. This small cult like organisation rely on constantly discovering mysterious and generally factually unsupported 'threats from Brussels' to get their way.

file.php?id=7647&t=1
    They are best ignored completely unless they are currently flying around overhead ......as they are known to do.
    Except you also seem to ignore the legislation they quote.
    There is nothing to stop the 'friends' from campaigning for a constitutional amendment which will clarify matters for once and for all.

There is no need for one - Article 15 lays out provision for the Oireachtas to make laws. You might also note Article 29
    No provision of this Constitution invalidates laws enacted, acts done or measures adopted by the State which are necessitated by the obligations of membership of the European Union or of the Communities, or prevents laws enacted, acts done or measures adopted by the European Union or by the Communities or by institutions thereof, or by bodies competent under the Treaties establishing the Communities, from having the force of law in the State.

So that "Birds" thing - not going away you know.
    But that "Birds" thing you keep referring to Madsl does not extinguish any right per se. Please stop relying on it.

That 'thing' by the way is the transposition of the Bern Convention - you are aware that Ireland has signed and transposed it??

The MANY people who have recently stopped cutting turf have been CONTRACTED to so do by the state and have abjured their Turbary or Fee Simple rights as a consequence of their entering a CONTRACT.

When did the state last collect ground rent in respect of these rights? I'm sure many of these Turbary holders have ensured that they have paid up to date? No? Might be tricky to assert the 'right' in that case. I believe around 1982 was when they were last collected.
    However there is no evidence of any individual breaching such a contract and the hysteria and bile emanating from the lunatic green fringe such as FIE is most unhelpful.

As is your blatant pretense that the law does not apply to some individuals.
    36. (1) Where an activity, plan or project that has been carried out within or outside a European Site, has caused damage to that site or to species or habitat types for which the site was selected as a European Site, and—

(a) it is in contravention of the requirements of these Regulations, or of the Planning and Development Acts 2000 to 2011,

(b) it required any statutory consent for the carrying out of such an activity, plan or project but was undertaken without such consent,

(c) it is in contravention of any of the terms or conditions of a consent referred to in subparagraph (a) or (b), or

(d) it is otherwise unlawful,

the Minister may, by Direction issued in writing, require the owner, occupier or user of the land or the person who carried out the activity, plan or project, or such of those persons as he or she considers appropriate, to restore the land in accordance with the Direction.

(2) Where an activity, plan or project referred to in paragraph (1) has been carried out, and has resulted in the production of mineral or other resources, including but not limited to soil, gravel, timber or the product of turf-cutting or peat extraction, any person who removes, or places in or on a vehicle for removal, any such resources, save in accordance with paragraph (5), shall be guilty of an offence.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2011/en/si/0307.html
    Turf-cutting ceased immediately on 31 raised bogs designated as Special Areas of Conservation (SACs). No further turf-cutting can occur on these sites without the express consent of the Minister. It was also decided that turf-cutting would cease on a further 24 raised bog SACs at the end of 2011
    http://www.npws.ie/peatlandsturf-cutting/turfcutting/
    I would ask you to condemn this hysteria Madsl, you do seem like a reasonable type. :)

I'd ask you to wake up to the fact that your delusion about the law might end up with you giving advice to someone that will see them in jail.

MadsL wrote: »
    I said "Turbary rights are only the given right to cut turf which, after ten years notice period, has ceased. " In other words I said. "Turbary rights are only the given right to cut turf which has ceased. I noted that there was a ten years notice period, I didn't not mean the right had ceased because a ten years notice period had passed.

Lets try this again shall we.

While that reasoning of yours is _very clear_ I implore you to to find time to make it clearer again.

Nearly there Oscarbravo. As there is no contitutional basis for a ban

Nonsense. If the Govt voted to ban the playing of hurling tomorrow there would be nothing in the constitution to prevent it.

Show me the text of this so-called contract.

Lets try this again shall we.

While that reasoning of yours is _very clear_ I implore you to to find time to make it clearer again.

I'm very close to reporting this post. Spit it out ffs.

Show me the text of this so-called contract.
    Some former Turf Cutters have a contract with the state. I am not one of them and do not have the text of the contract to hand.

Can you work on clarifying your 'Turbary Rights' piece instead, and my advance thanks in great anticipation of a job well done.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Nearly there Oscarbravo. As there is no contitutional basis for a ban the state instead sought to enforce a ban through contract law which is a perfectly reasonable approach.

However the state appears not to have a contract with all of the rights owners, only with some of them.
    Were that the case, then those who had not entered into such a contract would be within their rights in taking a Supreme Court challenge to the government acting ultra vires in attempting to prevent them from cutting turf.

I'm not aware of such a challenge (still open to correction), which strongly implies (to me) that no such basis for a challenge exists.

Can you work on clarifying your 'Turbary Rights' piece instead, and my advance thanks in great anticipation of a job well done.

Can say what you mean and stop being so fucking obtuse, this is a discussion - not your little game.

If you have a point to make, make the ****ing point. Otherwise I'm done with you and you are on ignore.

Some former Turf Cutters have a contract with the state. I am not one of them and do not have the text of the contract to hand.

A contact to stop cutting. Where is the contract that says they have a right to cut?

A contact to stop cutting. Where is the contract that says they have a right to cut?

Please stop accusing me of being obtuse. I was perfectly clear all along.

CERTAIN Turf Cutters entered a contract not to cut turf and are performing the contract.

I neglected to explain a salient point...this is not obtuseness merely neglect and I do apologise to those who have been trying to follow that particular aspect the thread. :)

The Contract ( where a contract is in force) lasts 15 years. During that 15 year period a now 'ex' turf cutter is paid not to cut turf on their old bog.

I have said before and will reiterate that there is no evidence of unilateral breach of contract by any supposed ex turf cutter who is currently in contract. In the case of certain bogs no turf has been cut this year as was the desired effect of the contract regime.

Once the 15 years are up I think that a Turbary right can be extinguished by custom. I think 14 years is the magic number. The custom applies to all easements or profit a prendre rights and indeed to common law events such as fairs and markets.

However that principle is complex and it has been suggested that 20 years may be the magic number (here) or indeed 175 years. I don't believe that any land in Ireland vests in the state under a principle such as Res Nullius

I will say that once the 15 year contract is performed fully by both parties the extinguishment of Turbary is certainly easier. Other common law rights have been regulated by contractual means in the past.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Were that the case, then those who had not entered into such a contract would be within their rights in taking a Supreme Court challenge to the government acting ultra vires in attempting to prevent them from cutting turf.

I'm not aware of such a challenge (still open to correction), which strongly implies (to me) that no such basis for a challenge exists.

Class Actions are not allowed in Ireland, consequently they would have to pick a very good example to go to the High Court as a test case.

Then everybody has to fund that very good example case which is the hard bit. It is _easier_ and cheaper if someone is arrested first. :)

Please stop accusing me of being obtuse. I was perfectly clear all along.

..and you still haven't explained what you were getting at in asking me to clarify.
    CERTAIN Turf Cutters entered a contract not to cut turf and are performing the contract.

I neglected to explain a salient point...this is not obtuseness merely neglect and I do apologise to those who have been trying to follow that particular aspect the thread. :)

The Contract ( where a contract is in force) lasts 15 years. During that 15 year period a now 'ex' turf cutter is paid not to cut turf on their old bog.

Where was the old contract that allowed them to cut turf? Was it payment in exchange for a licence?
    I have said before and will reiterate that there is no evidence of unilateral breach of contract by any supposed ex turf cutter who is currently in contract. In the case of certain bogs no turf has been cut this year as was the desired effect of the contract regime.

So 12 people are the only ones up in that bog in Galway who haven't signed contracts? Bigger crowd than that methinks.
    Once the 15 years are up I think that a Turbary right can be extinguished by custom. I think 14 years is the magic number. The custom applies to all easements or profit a prendre rights and indeed to common law events such as fairs and markets.

However that principle is complex and it has been suggested that 20 years may be the magic number (here) or indeed 175 years. I don't believe that any land in Ireland vests in the state under a principle such as Res Nullius

I will say that once the 15 year contract is performed fully by both parties the extinguishment of Turbary is certainly easier. Other common law rights have been regulated by contractual means in the past.

Would you say that a State has the right to control activities concerning the environment, even if they are customary? ie lead in paint, open air rubbish burning, solvents poured down drains?

Class Actions are not allowed in Ireland, consequently they would have to pick a very good example to go to the High Court as a test case.

Then everybody has to fund that very good example case which is the hard bit. It is _easier_ and cheaper if someone is arrested first. :)

In over ten years no-one has even suggested bringing a constitutional challenge? How odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭golfball37

I wish they'd use teh air corps or Garda resources in Moyross or certain parts of Finglas, it might save a few lives.

Political poilicing yet again from the GS. The establishment are just as hypocritical when it comes to being selective as these law breakers. Still no movement on Anglo, still people living in terror in certain housing estates across the country....What should we prioritise? Oh yes a few madcap farmers, handy soft targets.

This country is dead only to wash it.

golfball37 wrote: »
    I wish they'd use teh air corps or Garda resources in Moyross or certain parts of Finglas, it might save a few lives.

Political poilicing yet again from the GS. The establishment are just as hypocritical when it comes to being selective as these law breakers. Still no movement on Anglo, still people living in terror in certain housing estates across the country....What should we prioritise? Oh yes a few madcap farmers, handy soft targets.

Did you miss the part about Ireland having to find €25k a day in fines if they don't take action? Do you think this Govt wants to do this? Sure, the last one fannied about for 10-12 years over the issue.

I'm done with you and you are on ignore.

If I am "on ignore" as you say why are you quoting a post I made afterwards ??? Try putting me on ignore again, maybe it will work properly next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

golfball37 wrote: »

Not everyone shows disregard for the natural environment in Ireland despite your views -:)

I feel proud of my country that they are making efforts to halt the destruction despite all the opposition from small minority. And believe me you are the minority!

Don't misquote me. I said
    Otherwise I'm done with you and you are on ignore.

.Where was the old contract that allowed them to cut turf? Was it payment in exchange for a licence?

There was no "old contract", nobody apart from you ever said there was. :(

The RIGHT to cut turf was acquired by a variety of means. Contracts are NEW and are in order NOT to cut turf when in place.
    So 12 people are the only ones up in that bog in Galway who haven't signed contracts? Bigger crowd than that methinks.

Not every TURBARY owner was offered a contract so they could not have signed up to that which they were not offered a contract.
    Would you say that a State has the right to control activities concerning the environment, even if they are customary? ie lead in paint, open air rubbish burning, solvents poured down drains?

They control the use of substances which are not naturally occuring. This is unremarkable and not analagous either. :D

There was no "old contract", nobody apart from you ever said there was. :(

The RIGHT to cut turf was acquired by a variety of means. Contracts are NEW and are in order NOT to cut turf when in place.

And these rights are documented how?
    Not every TURBARY owner was offered a contract so they could not have signed up to that which they were not offered a contract.

But you claim they have a right, presumably that right has a legal basis and so they can assert that right in law. Why has no turf cutter gone to the courts to assert their rights?
    They control the use of substances which are not naturally occuring. This is unremarkable and not analagous either. :D

Do you dispute the right of the state to control matters concerning the environment? Do you dispute the right of the state to control the use of privately held land? As I asked earlier remind me what constitutional amendments were required to introduce a planning system giving control over activities on citizen's own land in 1963?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭joela

The Irish constitution establishes the right to land ownershp Madsl and in order to extinguish a common law right that predates the constitution, EG Estovers, the constitution needs to be amended. Simples. verys verys Simples. :)

There is nothing to stop the 'friends' from campaigning for a constitutional amendment which will clarify matters for once and for all. But that "Birds" thing you keep referring to Madsl does not extinguish any right per se. Please stop relying on it.

Wow SpongeBob you have outdone yourself on the turning in circles stakes this time. YOU do not speak for me or I am sure for many of the people commenting on this thread so please do not assume that I or anyone else refers to FIE as having a "sociopathic" view of environmental matters. on the contrary they are a particularly informed group that have of their own initiative produced some excellent reports, produced aerial photos showing the damage and successfully petitioned the EU. I for one applaud the work they do in bringing this environmental destruction to the attention of the greater public. You are laughable referringto them as a cult just because they actually oppose environmental damage and request enforcement of environmental legislation.

MadsL give up on this guy, I have been round the houses with him on another thread providing links and facts but he either lacks the ability to understand them or is refusing to face facts. Seriously it is soul destroying to watch him meander around the subject trying to sound knowledgeable. He doesn't like the law, he has issues with eNGOs, concerned citizens and science :rolleyes:

Rumour in the west that the Battle of the Bog is moving to Roscommon on Monday where some machinery is to be confiscated. I'll be up on my own bog tomorrow so. Weather looks good. :D

Will they burn the machine for the publicity in Roscommon as well?

Will they burn the machine for the publicity in Roscommon as well?

Who is "They" ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

people like burning turf

it is a clean fuel (generally)
    doesn't destroy fireplaces, ranges and stoves as it burns at much lower temperature than coal or timber
    it is quite cheap
    is easy to store.
    tradition

• Advertisement

Who is "They" ??

Do you think that the Guards or the NPWS set fire to the machinery at the last 'protest'?

Still haven't answered my questions above.

Do you dispute the right of the state to control matters concerning the environment?

Do you dispute the right of the state to control the use of privately held land?

As I asked earlier remind me what constitutional amendments were required to introduce a planning system giving control over activities on citizen's own land in 1963?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement