Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are you an atheist?

Options
1171819202123»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,218 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Geomy wrote: »
    Drumpot I wouldn't even bother debating in here about higherpowers,God or Spirituality etc

They will not buy into any of it because according to some here its all a load of waffle and ****e etc

Oddly enough, atheists are unwilling to accept claims which have no evidence. Who'd'a' thunk it...
    Just sit back and read some of the replies same old responses to the same old debate...

That would be because we get the same old weak arguments from theists coming on here again and again.
    I just accept they don't believe and that's it...

Acceptance is the answer ;)

Grand. If only the rest of society could do the same :)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

YOLO is the verb to "be a f*cking c*nt".

Just so you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Sarky wrote: »
    YOLO is the verb to "be a f*cking c*nt".

Just so you know.

Linky?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

You'll just have to have faith in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭gumbo1

Not read any previous posts but responding to the thread tittle!

"Holy Mary, mother of God"

I thought Mary was mother of Jesus and that God himself sent the Gabriel fella to say she was gonna have his only son!! Please correct me if I'm wrong!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Geomy wrote: »
    Just sit back and read some of the replies same old responses to the same old debate...

Well, if ye religionists ever come up with a new idea, please let us know.

However it is not our fault ye keep trotting out the same tired, old and worn-out nonsense.

Well, if ye religionists ever come up with a new idea, please let us know.

However it is not our fault ye keep trotting out the same tired, old and worn-out nonsense.

They come up with new ideas everyday. The problem is their cohort tend to always shoot the new ideas down because they're exactly that; new.

Damn it, just missed post #666.

Damn it, just missed post #666.

Meh! Wouldn't have let you have that privilege anyway. Questioning my right to absolute control. #warwithsarky

Jernal wrote: »
    Questioning my right to absolute control. #warwithsarky

I hope you have a link to back that up.

• Advertisement

Indeed I do.

Pfft, that could be any power-tripping new mod. You're taking that quote completely out of context.

Pfft, that could be any power-tripping new mod. You're taking that quote completely out of context.

Does it matter? It is what I believe and is true to me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Meh! Wouldn't have let you have that privilege anyway. Questioning my right to absolute control. #warwithsarky
    Does it matter? It is what I believe and is true to me.

Ran out of popcorn....:eek:

indian-bombay-mix_~u28117179.jpg

ah that's better. May as well have a glass of this while I'm here as this one could run and run.

Old_Crafty_Hen.jpg

Now, where were we?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

I was on my way to your house with my ipad...

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭FamousSeamus

Religious debates are like your genitals, whether your happy or sad with what you have, please don't take it out in public!!!

EDIT: This ins't my joke heard it somewhere else apologies if someone else used it previously I didn't read this whole trend :O

Well
    Why don't you provide me a test?

No, it is not our place. You are making the assertion here, so you have to provide evidence supporting said assertion.

#warwithsarky

To the knife?
    If so I'd better get my skates on and book tickets now.

Typical atheists always taking things out of context and meaning. We didn't mean literal war, we meant metaphorical and spiritual war.

I meant literal war...

• Advertisement

I meant literal war...

Literally?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,851 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I meant literal war...

Nah, you're not using enough smilies and ... ... ellipses ... :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭smokingman

So why eh?
    Simply because if god was real, omnipotent and "all seeing", then not only does he allow children to be raped, he also watches.

That and the whole "absolutely no evidence" thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Drumpot wrote: »
    The big bang theory is a best guess by the science community based on the tools they have to today to come to a conclusion/theory of something they are not definitively able to qualify.

You are so close to understanding science if you take the above one step further. Your understanding of Science and the methodology of science is poor but I think could be rectified in a cascade effect by fixing just a few small misconceptions you hold.

Pretty much ALL of science is out "best Guess" based on current tools and science. Not just one Big Bang Theory but EVERY theory in science is so. As i said in the posts before, right up to the last one you ignored, there is no point when "Atomic Theory" or "Evolution Theory" or "Big Bang Theory" would ever be renamed "Fact" because science does not work that way.

The distinction I was making for you which you appear not to be dealing with too well is that while science is at any one time our current "best guess" it is at least based on evidence and data we actually have. Theist "god Hypothesis" however is not. This is no small or subtle distinction.

Hypothesis is not a bad thing. It is the foundation driving force behind reason and discovery. But when a given hypothesis is entirely devoid of ALL and ANY substantiating argument, evidence, data and reasoning then we should acknowledge that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 honey83

I remember being very young and doubting
    . I as at least 7 maybe. I'm an American and grew up between Baptist. and Catholic denominations. I was a closet Atheist up until two years ago. My family does attempt to talk me into believing but I don't put up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Ok
    If God is not real then did you expect to a life form to just pop out of no where
    For a perfect human body be born out of no where
    Big bang theory where it was a big bang and everything was there now that is what I find hard to believe
    It's like me clicking my finger's and woosh!!

Which is exactly what god is supposed to have done?

Also humans aren't "born out of nowhere" a childrens biology class could help you with this one, is there a primary school you could sit in with to pick up some pointers?

It always make my chuckle when people who can't believe in evolution or the big bang have no idea of how either is supposed to work.

Advertisement