Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are you an atheist?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

God is real.

Can provide a test to determine the difference between a universe where God is real, and a universe were God is not real?

• Site Banned Posts: 104 ✭✭II 2FAST2C II

bluewolf wrote: »
    Or even the title?

Touce :p

Zombrex wrote: »
    Can provide a test to determine the difference between a universe where God is real, and a universe were God is not real?

No such thing as a universe where God is not real

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

He asked for a test, not a reiteration of an unsupported statement

He asked for a test, not a reiteration of an unsupported statement

Well
    Why don't you provide me a test?

• Advertisement

I don't think you understood the question.

Taking a non God example. There is no such thing as a universe were electrons are not real. But scientists still determined a test to tell the difference, and the conclusion was that they are real. The conclusion was that electrons are real.

So again, can provide a test to determine the difference between a universe where God is real, and a universe were God is not real (even if you suppose that such a universe would not be, just as is the case with a universe were electrons don't exist)

The answer will be a universe that is a particular way, as opposed to a universe that is different or could not exist (your non-God universe which you claim cannot be).

But doesn't mean you don't require the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

God is real.

Which god?

Well
    Why don't you provide me a test?

How would she provide the test, you are the one making the claim?

Ok
    If God is not real then did you expect to a life form to just pop out of no where
    For a perfect human body be born out of no where
    Big bang theory where it was a big bang and everything was there now that is what I find hard to believe
    It's like me clicking my finger's and woosh!!

How would she provide the test, you are the one making the claim?

YOLO

• Advertisement

Ok
    If God is not real then did you expect to a life form to just pop out of no where
    For a perfect human body be born out of no where
    Big bang theory where it was a big bang and everything was there now that is what I find hard to believe
    It's like me clicking my finger's and woosh!!

I'm not asking you what you believe or what you find hard to believe. That is irrelevant (as something like quantum mechanics demonstrates, something that is almost impossible to understand, let alone believe, but is still true)

I'm getting a strong sense you don't understand the question being put to you. Maybe read up on the concept in science of "falsifiability" and then come back and try and answer the question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falsifiability

YOLO

Indeed. Which makes it such a shame that some people waste there only one.

Indeed. Which makes it such a shame that some people waste there only one.

I know
    But is excluding after life
    (for me anyways ;) don't know what you are planning to do when you are dead :cool:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Who stole the cookies from the cookie jar?
    I DON'T KNOW SO IT MUST BE GOD

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

don't know what you are planning to do when you are dead :cool:
    You see planning for what you are going to do when you die is like dreaming about what you will spend your euromillions winnings on.

Great for a bit of escapism but ultimately a waste of your time. When we're dead, we're gone. Don't waste the time you do have preparing for the time you won't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Your cookie jar seems to get stolen from a lot. :p
    (Might I suggest a more realistic suspects list?)

Of course it's not realistic. That's the point :cool:

Of course it's not realistic. That's the point :cool:

You want people to keep stealing cookies from you?:confused::p

Jernal wrote: »
    You want people to keep stealing cookies from you?:confused::p

Yes, they're filled with logic and tastiness

This way I can sit around flailing in confusion blaming god without ever putting in any effort to actually obtain information on the real culprits or do anything constructive whatsoever!

Yes, they're filled with logic and tastiness

So you want devious schemers and robbers to get all the logic?

• Advertisement

Jernal wrote: »
    So you want devious schemers and robbers to get all the logic?

So shut up jernal :mad:

:pac:

So shut up jernal :mad:

:pac:

Now, now no need to get tetchy.

tumblr_lvde0usdsA1r653xto1_500.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

No. Sorry. That was me. :o

Bannasidhe wrote: »

See what your 'logic cookies' did blue? You are directly responsible for the ghey onslaught that is destroying our societal fabric - bloody rainbow patterns!

Bannasidhe wrote: »

They were devilicious with a yummy logic centre,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Believers don't blame God for things. They take comfort from their faith. I don't think I could have made it through my own missing cookie travails were it not for God's love. And I know the cookies have gone to a better place and I'll see them again someday...except for that one pistachio and raisin cookie which was evil.

Kinski wrote: »
    Believers don't blame God for things. They take comfort from their faith. I don't think I could have made it through my own missing cookie travails were it not for God's love. And I know the cookies have gone to a better place and I'll see them again someday...except for that one pistachio and raisin cookie which was evil.

It was.

What the hell are you doing leaving cookies like that lying around in a cookie jar in your kitchen in your house where anyone could access them? WELL? :mad:

I had wind for a bloody lunar cycle after that.

The other cookies did go to a better place.

Cork.

:D

So, um, are atheists atheist then because their cookies were stolen? Unable to come to terms with it all they take out their anger on God and deny His existence.
    God, of course, reacts by stealing more of their cookies - righteously, so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

I'm an atheist 'cos talking burning bushes, gods with bears for hench men, and people who come down from heaven to have themselves tortured and killed to prove a point is a bit f**kin' mad to say the least...

Harry Potter is more plausable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

As long as your not one of those reddit atheists you'll be ok lol

I know there's a member here called reddit no offence to that member...

I'm not an atheist or a thiest,don't want to be a dlzk or goodie twoshoes,I cant be associated with either lol

Agnostic Atheists are in

:)

Advertisement