Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2012

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

KINGVictor wrote: »
    If you looked at the last paragraph of the post, I acknowledged it would have the same in Ireland and indeed most if not all countries.

I said they were rude because there were a number of times during the match when the umpire had to calm them down because of the excessive noise when Andy won points against Roger. It is expected as Andy was striving to be the first British man to win the tourney after so many years but I just felt it was a bit excessive- just my opinion.

Not really any difference to any other Wimbledon final crowd, just a few more British flags on display than otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

robinph wrote: »
    Not really any difference to any other Wimbledon final crowd, just a few more British flags on display than otherwise.

and i think that the reason some irish people have a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

the_monkey wrote: »
    My God, if you are a Nadal fan you should hear the Spanish commentery
    any time he is playing, unreal biased sh*t, Last year they never gave Djokovic
    any credit , constantly saying he is winning cos Nadal is below par - horse****

They are the same with the Spanish football team, disrespectfull and insulting towards the other teams .
    Then again it was telecinco (the trash of all trash of Spanish TV) that was commentating on the euro 2012.

But my point on the spanish tennis commentary stays.

I never watch matches with Spanish commentary as unfortunately I dont speak a word of Spanish.

But as Nadal , Novak or Roger do not have the luxury of playing on home soil in Grand slams, your argument is a bit skewed there;especially with regards to my points about the local British press during Wimbledon

indioblack wrote: »
    No disrespect to Murray - but yes, Nadal and Federer in the final. Or Nadal and Murray?
    Showing my age now - but for determination and giving 100% I always admired Jimmy Connors.
    As for the media hype - well I usually try to filter it out. Understandable of course, with Murray playing - it's been a long time!
    Just think what it would have been like if he'd won!
    He'll be back next year.

Yes it would have been euphoric and wonderful but the reality is he did not and my argument is that he wouldn't have against any of the top 3 anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭dixiedan

So....instead of being the "new" Fred Perry, Murray is now the "new" Bunny Austin ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭indioblack

KINGVictor wrote: »
    Yes it would have been euphoric and wonderful but the reality is he did not and my argument is that he wouldn't have against any of the top 3 anyways.
    Well today showed that with Federer. There were two of us watching the match and after the first set I was told that maybe Murray would win. This from someone who didn't like him and wanted Federer to win.
    Not being an oracle, all I could say was "It's early, yet". I didn't think Federer would simply give up - in a match like this, and Murray is very good, Federer would have the experience to know that a lot can happen if the match is long enough. He had the skill and variety of play to last and then win.
    In fairness to Murray, he really wanted to win - and I guess there was pressure on him to do so. But so did Federer!
    With other championships coming up, who knows - we may see a more experienced Murray entering Wimbledon again.
    But I'd like to see Nadal come through again - and I think he will.
    Overall I've enjoyed this Wimbledon - and some good players give a promise of an entertaining championship next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

article217047413faf74e0.jpg

ah. This pic makes me feel sorry for Murray :( Even though I was massively against him during the match.

Samich wrote: »
    ah. This pic makes me feel sorry for Murray :( Even though I was massively against him during the match.

Ha you are trying to redeem yourself after being so cruel to him :D. To be very honest I was so sad for him too even though I didnt really care who won. He wanted this so bad and you could tell from how disappointed and emotional he was after he lost.

I was even more upset for the grown man crying when Andy was making his runner up speech; as sport lovers, I think we have all being there at some point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Thrilled for Federer, really admire the guy and feel very privileged to have witnessed him play in my lifetime. Felt a bit sorry for Murray what with the weight of expectation on him, and if anything with regards to the British media, I don't think that it's so bad that they are biased in their commentary (to be expected, it is Wimbledon after all), I just think that the hype is putting the players, particularly Murray, under a lot of pressure.

I think Federer would have won regardless of who he played today. He's really made strides in adjusting his game to keep up and he's just an incredible athlete and a credit to the game.

He also won me a bottle of gin today! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,156 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I know it's early days but will anyone else be rooting for Andy to win the US Open? I would love to see him win that first major. It would make for a more mentally sound and strong player in the top 4 which can only make the struggles between the top men that bit better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

well played by roger, he was the better player overall. andy has improved a lot and with lendls help , hopefully he can win a grand slam soon. he has good chance at the olympics in a few weeks time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

walshb wrote: »
    I know it's early days but will anyone else be rooting for Andy to win the US Open? I would love to see him win that first major. It would make for a more mentally sound and strong player in the top 4 which can only make the struggles between the top men that bit better.

I hope he does it. Think he'll make the semis anyway he is incredibly consistent against lower ranked players. Hope he gets Nole in the semi!

Reckon he'll do well in the olympics too (winning it is as good as a slam imo).

Thought it was nice to hear that straight away afterwards he apologised to Roger for his speech. Said he didn't want Roger to think he was attention seeking. Was nice of him! Roger had no problem whatsoever, and apparently just laughed and said that the interviews were meant to be the easy part of the final!

I know a lot of people weren't Murray's biggest fans before yesterday but I'm sure he's won many over. He also did his country, friends, fans proud. The guy is an incredible sportsman who is unfortunate to be playing at the same time as 2 (if not 3) of the greatest ever.

cgpg5 wrote: »
    I hope he does it. Think he'll make the semis anyway he is incredibly consistent against lower ranked players. Hope he gets Nole in the semi!

Reckon he'll do well in the olympics too (winning it is as good as a slam imo).

Thought it was nice to hear that straight away afterwards he apologised to Roger for his speech. Said he didn't want Roger to think he was attention seeking. Was nice of him! Roger had no problem whatsoever, and apparently just laughed and said that the interviews were meant to be the easy part of the final!

I know a lot of people weren't Murray's biggest fans before yesterday but I'm sure he's won many over. He also did his country, friends, fans proud. The guy is an incredible sportsman who is unfortunate to be playing at the same time as 2 (if not 3) of the greatest ever.

Spot on!

He is a fantastic player that seems just a step behind the other three. Nadal is that little bit better because he seems to fight even harder than Murray.

Murray sure fights hard. Novak seesm to have a few more tricks and shots in his arsenal, as well as being so quick and agile and fit. Federer is just an all around court genius. So much in the arsenal.

Murray on his day sure has the beatings of them all every so often, but it seems on the bigger stage over 5 sets they just have that slight bit extra in the tank, and in their arsenal.

I still think he is a real real threat for Flushing Meadows. He can do it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

Glad Federer won for the numbers - 17 slams WOW !

nice because this will be hard for Rafi (who I just looove :p ) to catch.

Regards the womens final - Serena let herself down by jumping up and down like that at the end ? I mean wtf ??

She is a trashy knacker and should have been banned for life years back when
    she threatened a lineswoman that she'd kill her.

Also this even womens pay thing ? Serena was going on about it again ?
    don't the women now get the same pay as the men ?

And she was saying "Just because I have boobs doesn't mean I deserve less money" -

No Serena it doesn't , but because you play best of 3 sets and the men play best of 5 IT DOES !!!

But of course the PC madness takes over and to promote "equality" (the women actually earn more hour for hour on the court) the prize money is equaled to the mens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

jcf wrote: »
    Glad Federer won for the numbers - 17 slams WOW !

nice because this will be hard for Rafi (who I just looove :p ) to catch.

Regards the womens final - Serena let herself down by jumping up and down like that at the end ? I mean wtf ??

She is a trashy knacker and should have been banned for life years back when
    she threatened a lineswoman that she'd kill her.

Also this even womens pay thing ? Serena was going on about it again ?
    don't the women now get the same pay as the men ?

And she was saying "Just because I have boobs doesn't mean I deserve less money" -

No Serena it doesn't , but because you play best of 3 sets and the men play best of 5 IT DOES !!!

But of course the PC madness takes over and to promote "equality" (the women actually earn more hour for hour on the court) the prize money is equaled to the mens.

It was Gilles Simon that talked about the equal prize money at a press conference during the first week of Wimbledon. He said that men deserved more than women etc. He also mentioned that he had the support of the men's locker room on the matter. There was an article about it in The Guardian. Not really sure who brought up the topic at the conference or why it was discussed in the first place; I thought this issue was done and dusted.

There's no way the ITF would go back on its decision and lower women's prize money. There would be absolute uproar and it would cause a massive headache for them.

RosyLily wrote: »
    It was Gilles Simon that talked about the equal prize money at a press conference during the first week of Wimbledon. He said that men deserved more than women etc. He also mentioned that he had the support of the men's locker room on the matter. There was an article about it in The Guardian. Not really sure who brought up the topic at the conference or why it was discussed in the first place; I thought this issue was done and dusted.

There's no way the ITF would go back on its decision and lower women's prize money. There would be absolute uproar and it would cause a massive headache for them.

But isn't that a shame , that this new "reverse sexism" has won, and that for a perfectly valid reason (3 sets versus 5) women deserve less, but it will never happen, cos they'll just bring the sexism bullsh*t into it .

It could be worse. Women could be made play 5 set matches, boring all you tennis fan to tears for twice as long!

Good point, Joke of a game womens tennis, Imagine the runner up of the Mens French open (N. Djokovic) conceding a golden set (24 points lost on the trot)

?

cos that happened this year in Wimbledon to the femail RU in FO ...

pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

brimal wrote: »
    Delighted Fed won. He deserves it. World class tennis from him today.

Murray is nowhere near the top 3 players in terms of mental game. I'm not sure he ever will.

Crowd were rubbish too.

He is ranked number 4 which is pretty close to top 3.
    Also in the last 16 meetings with Fed he won 8 so half...

I think he is quite capable of winning.

Murray done little wrong in the second set and I would argue played better, the last set where Fed broke was totally against the run of play...
    This break I think mentally hit Andy hard and it set the tone of the next 3 sets...

Fed is an awesome player and basically hit a run of play after he one the second set...

I think getting to the final this year will help Andy in his mind-set, I know some poeple might think it will go against him but he said right away "I am getting closer" I think we will see him in a Wim Final again.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

They should just let Serena join the men's tour. To be honest, how anybody could call that thing a woman is beyond me.

14653.jpg&width=580&height=350&quality=85&mode=crop

She reminds me of the female orcs in the Elder Scrolls games. :pac:

• Advertisement

jcf wrote: »
    Good point, Joke of a game womens tennis, Imagine the runner up of the Mens French open (N. Djokovic) conceding a golden set (24 points lost on the trot)

?

cos that happened this year in Wimbledon to the femail RU in FO ...

pathetic.

I'm sure Errani was much more píssed off than you for conceding the golden set.

Have to say, I really enjoyed Wimbledon this year! Some fantastic tennis and unbelievable shocks. Federer showed everyone in the semi-final and final why he is one of the greatest of all time.

Like Nadal found a way to defeat Djokovic this year, I think Murray will work out tactics of his own to defeat the top 3. He came very close to Djoko in Australia. He's still only 25 and has at least 5 years to win a Grand Slam. It was quite nice to see some emotion from him; he's usually so grumpy and nonchalant.

Canada had Junior champions this year! Filip Peliwo & Eugenie Bouchard won the singles titles. Bouchard also teamed up with American Taylor Townsend to win the doubles title.

Two 30 year olds as Wimbledon champions! Who'd a guessed that 3 or 4 weeks ago?!:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

RosyLily wrote: »
    Two 30 year olds as Wimbledon champions! Who'd a guessed that 3 or 4 weeks ago?!:D

Exactly. Tennis isn't always as predictable as people might think! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

tbh I can't see Murray winning a slam for a few years yet.
    with such a gulf in class between the top 3 and him, it's going to be very hard to win a slam as he'll likely have to beat two of the three in the process.
    this week was an exception rather than the norm, if Murray was playing Nadal in the semi it would have been very tough, and would have taken alot more out of him before the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

was just looking at the new rankings out today and was surprised to see Lukas Rosol, Nadals conquerer, who got to the 3rd round of his first wimbledon gone down 3 places from 100 to 103.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

As anyone who was following the thread during the final you'd know I was massively against Murray.

I've changed my mind now, hope he wins a slam. Although that might change when he's playing and is acting the way he does :P

Murray has to find a way of getting points when a player returns a powerful shot from him. ie there was many times when Murray hit a powerful backhand deep that wouldn't be returned against most. Fed sliced it deep and the point was open again and went rogers favour.

tbh I can't see Murray winning a slam for a few years yet.
    with such a gulf in class between the top 3 and him, it's going to be very hard to win a slam as he'll likely have to beat two of the three in the process.
    this week was an exception rather than the norm, if Murray was playing Nadal in the semi it would have been very tough, and would have taken alot more out of him before the final.

Tbh I don't think there is much of a gulf in class at all. Federer was unplayable in the second half of the second set onwards. Don't think Nadal or Djok would've had a hope against him in that form. Murray really put it up to Djok in Australia. I'd say the gulf in class is very marginal; Murray is not far off. There is much more of a gulf in class between Murray and the chasing pack than there is between Murray and the top three in my eyes. Murray could well have beaten rafa or Djok at Wimbledon had he faced them.

I think we'll know a lot more though after the olympics and US. Andy is a better hard court player (marginally) than grass in my eyes and he has a great chance at the olympics imo with the amazing following he'll no doubt get and his real determination to bounce back.

Samich wrote: »
    As anyone who was following the thread during the final you'd know I was massively against Murray.

I've changed my mind now, hope he wins a slam. Although that might change when he's playing and is acting the way he does :P

Murray has to find a way of getting points when a player returns a powerful shot from him. ie there was many times when Murray hit a powerful backhand deep that wouldn't be returned against most. Fed sliced it deep and the point was open again and went rogers favour.

Ha, think many got converted, we were slaggin some lad sat night cos he was so anti Murray, texted me this morning saying that he was won over by him and that he was almost in tears at his speech! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,123 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Although I am not a real tennis fan, I have followed Murrays progress over the last 8 years. One of my work colleagues is from Dunblane and knows the Murray family. He approached the company we worked for for them to sponsor the then young Murray just after he came back from Barcelona. The company declined to sponsor him and I think they have regretted that decision ever since.

It is very narrow minded to not like Murray just because is British or Scottish or he rarely smiles. He is one of the most focused sportsmen in Britain and deserves whatever success he achieves.

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Ha, think many got converted, we were slaggin some lad sat night cos he was so anti Murray, texted me this morning saying that he was won over by him and that he was almost in tears at his speech! :D

Ha ha ha! My dad was even converted (he always disliked Andy...but that could be more of a Judy thing)! Going so far as to say "I'm backing Murray to win gold at the Olympics!"

He's spending big bucks on it too...a tenner!!:eek::pac:

• Advertisement

Although I am not a real tennis fan, I have followed Murrays progress over the last 8 years. One of my work colleagues is from Dunblane and knows the Murray family. He approached the company we worked for for them to sponsor the then young Murray just after he came back from Barcelona. The company declined to sponsor him and I think they have regretted that decision ever since.

It is very narrow minded to not like Murray just because is British or Scottish or he rarely smiles. He is one of the most focused sportsmen in Britain and deserves whatever success he achieves.

:eek::eek::eek::eek: Ya wha'?!??! Banned!!:p

They should be kicking themselves up the behind for missing that golden opportunity. I read that if Murray had won it would have been worth nearly €120m to him in future sponsorship and whatnot!

Advertisement