Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2012

Options
  • 18-06-2012 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭

In less than 8 days Wimbledon kicks off!:)

Qualifying begins tomorrow. The Men's Qualifying Singles and Qualifying Doubles were released on Friday. The Women's Qualifying Singles & Doubles draws will be released later this week. The Main Draw will be made on Friday 22nd June @10am.

Novak Djokovic is the defending champion here and will be on the hunt for his 6th Grand Slam title. After the French Open defeat, he might be feeling a little sore but I predict that once he finds his feet on the grass he'll be grand!

Rafael Nadal will be buzzing after his win at Roland Garros and that confidence will do him well at Wimbledon. After missing out last year, he'll be looking to regain his title and be the first man since...ah...himself back in 2010 to win French Open & Wimbledon in the same year.

Roger Federer will try to re-write last year and the previous year's result of reaching the quarter finals. He looked great at Halle- Haas was just better in the final. Don't count out the Swiss! I wouldn't be surprised if he claimed his 17th Grand Slam title at Wimbledon.

Andy Murray- he's an enigma at times. There was flashes of brilliance in the first set of his semi-final against Nadal last year but he just couldn't keep up the pace! Will he forever be a SF man here?? For a change, I would like to see a Federer-Murray semi-final (if both make it that far). I don't think it's ever happened at Wimbledon and it could be very interesting!

The betting at Paddy Power reflects the current rankings. Djokovic is favourite to win at 7/4 followed by Nadal (5/2), Federer (4/1) & Murray (8/1). Interestingly, they put Milos Raonic behind the top 4 at 25/1.

On the Women's side, the defending champion, Petra Kvitova seems to be finding some form after a topsy turvy season where she had illnesses and injuries. Hopefully, when she begins her defence we'll see the player who demolished Sharapova last year.

Speaking of Sharapova, she will fancy her chances of adding another Wimbledon to her trophy cabinet. She played great at the French Open and her movement has improved loads. She's back at No.1, has done the Career Grand Slam, she will be hungry for more GSs.

Of course you can't talk Wimbledon without mentioning the Williams Sisters. Even though they had terrible showings at the French, they seem to come alive on the grass. They're great to watch and it'll take a battle to beat them here. Rumours are rife that they might retire this year; even though I gave out stink when they won every Wimbledon title, I don't want them to go just yet!:pac:

Paddy Power has Sharapova as favourite (11/4), followed by Serena Williams (3/1), Kvitova (7/2), Azarenka (6/1) and Clijsters (25/1).

In my dream world, Federer and Clijsters win.:o If only!!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,156 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Federer's best chance to win major 17 is Wimbledon. It is his best surface. Still think he will not win it. Novak is the favourite for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

I would also fancy a Federer win, it would be a lovely way for him to bow out with 17 GS. But it will be a great challenge for him to accomplish such a task with the men tennis becoming increasingly competitive. Looking forward to the draws on Friday the 22nd, would be interesting to see how the players are paired; that, in my opinion will determine who wins.

Bredych, Tsonga, Del Potro are serious contenders, the bookies favour Novak and rightly so, he has the ability in every department of the game to make it 6 GS but I will go for Nadal mainly due to his current form, increased confidence and the momentum from the FO win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Have to say that Novak is my man. I'm always nervous when he plays- I don't know if its nerves or a physical condition but he seems to loose concentration at times. Love his style and personality though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I can't wait for this, in the mens draw Novak is my pick, he will want revenge after Roland Garros. And in the women's draw I will narrow it down to Sharapova and Serena, think Serena will be out for blood!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

I can see both Nadal and Sharapova winning. Big Djokovic fan but he has not been at his best this year, and has looked quite tired at times. Anyone else heading over?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

think it will one of the top 4 in the mens, cant really see anyone else winning it. there might be a few shocks but think it will be one of those 4..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Can't see past Serena in the women's tbh especially after the French and disappointment of last year. Can't see Novak being beaten either. Hard to look past the big 4 for the semis in the mens. The women's will throw up surprises as ever.

Venus worth an each way bet ye reckon? Seems great odds

• Registered Users Posts: 12,057 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

KINGVictor wrote: »
    I would also fancy a Federer win, it would be a lovely way for him to bow out with 17 GS. But it will be a great challenge for him to accomplish such a task with the men tennis becoming increasingly competitive. Looking forward to the draws on Friday the 22nd, would be interesting to see how the players are paired; that, in my opinion will determine who wins.

Bredych, Tsonga, Del Potro are serious contenders, the bookies favour Novak and rightly so, he has the ability in every department of the game to make it 6 GS but I will go for Nadal mainly due to his current form, increased confidence and the momentum from the FO win.

I wouldn't be to sure of Del Potro, never done much on grass and coming of an injury. The other 2 are dangerous though aye. Raonic is the best of the rest, serve is monstrous but his returning is dodgy. I watched him against Federer last week at halle, and he looked way to one dimensional to win Wimbledon.

Can't see anyone else doing much damage really.

Ladies side is very open, really want Azarenka to win though. Its annoying that everyone has forgotten that she ruled ladies tennis for a few months this year. Id love her to batter Maria like she did in the OZ Final.:cool:

Kimmy, Kvitova are also contenders as is Serena.

Bartoli, Kerber may be the best of the rest.

Not convinced by Aggy on grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

The seedings were announced yesterday. Pretty much the same as the world rankings; although the men's grass results are taken into account but it's not the case on the women's side.

Mens's Seeds
    1. Novak Djokovic
    2. Rafael Nadal
    3. Roger Federer
    4. Andy Murray
    5. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
    6. Tomas Berdych
    7. David Ferrer
    8. Janko Tipsarevic
    9. Juan Martin del Potro
    10. Mardy Fish
    11. John Isner
    12. Nicolas Almagro
    13. Gilles Simon
    14. Feliciano Lopez
    15. Juan Monaco
    16. Marin Cilic
    17. Fernando Verdasco
    18. Richard Gasquet
    19. Kei Nishikori
    20. Bernard Tomic
    21. Milos Raonic
    22. Alexandr Dolgopolov
    23. Andreas Seppi
    24. Marcel Granollers
    25. Stanislas Wawrinka
    26. Mikhail Youzhny
    27. Philipp Kohlschreiber
    28. Radek Stepanek
    29. Julien Benneteau
    30. Andy Roddick
    31. Florian Mayer
    32. Kevin Anderson

Women's Seeds
    1. Maria Sharapova
    2. Victoria Azarenka
    3. Agnieszka Radwanska
    4. Petra Kvitova
    5. Samantha Stosur
    6. Serena Williams
    7. Caroline Wozniacki
    8. Angelique Kerber
    9. Marion Bartoli
    10. Sara Errani
    11. Na Li
    12. Vera Zvonareva
    13. Dominika Cibulkova
    14. Ana Ivanovic
    15. Sabine Lisicki
    16. Flavia Pennetta
    17. Maria Kirilenko
    18. Jelena Jankovic
    19. Lucie Safarova
    20. Nadia Petrova
    21. Roberta Vinci
    22. Julia Goerges
    23. Petra Cetkovska
    24. Francesca Schiavone
    25. Jie Zheng
    26. Anabel Medina Garrigues
    27. Daniela Hantuchova
    28. Christina McHale
    29. Monica Niculescu
    30. Shuai Peng
    31. Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova
    32. Svetlana Kuznetsova

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

walshb wrote: »
    Federer's best chance to win major 17 is Wimbledon. It is his best surface. Still think he will not win it. Novak is the favourite for me.

I'd have to disagree that it's his best surface, the grass there is so slow now the US open is probably his most likely grand slam win now.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,156 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I'd have to disagree that it's his best surface, the grass there is so slow now the US open is probably his most likely grand slam win now.

Possibly, yes. Thing is with Federer, he is exceptional on any surface. Even on clay. He would be a multiple FO winner had Nadal not existed. I still think the grass best suits his play as opposed to the others top players. I guess that is more my point. On hard and clay, both Novak and Nadal will most likeley beat him more often than not. On grass is where I feel he can really challenge them to the max. Toss up on grass IMO.

Some players have pulled out injured. Gael Monfils is still struggling with the knee injury that kept him out of French Open.

Michaella Krajicek (a.k.a. Richard's half-sister) has a viral illness. Andrea Petkovic has been ruled out as well.

Someone else has pulled out but for the life of me I cannot remember who!!:confused::confused:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

RosyLily wrote: »
    Gael Monfils is still struggling with the knee injury

Good God but that guy really annoys me. Glad to hear he's gone.

What happened to Andrea????

Also, I'd have to agree with the US Open being the best chance Roger has to get another slam. Hard court is where he's at his best IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Can't wait for this!

Looking forward to the draw tomorow, thinking Tommy Haas could be a dangerous floater.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭spotsanddots

I would like to see Tsonga do well and Roddick!(He might be passed it now though)..But Novak for the win!
    Sharapova or Azarenka to win the Women's final

Rob2D wrote: »

Also, I'd have to agree with the US Open being the best chance Roger has to get another slam. Hard court is where he's at his best IMO.

Andrea tore right ankle ligaments in a match against Victoria Azarenka at the Porsche Tennis Grand Prix back in April. It was thought to have been only a sprain but scan showed more damage.

Such a shame because I really like her! She had a great 2011, reaching the QFs of AO, FO & USO.

Qualifying has been complete.

Going through to the main draw on the men's side are: Jurgen Zopp, Adrian Menendez-MacEiras, Guillaume Rufin, Michael Russell, Jesse Levine, Florent Serra, Ryan Sweeting, Dustin Brown, Simone Bolelli, Jimmy Wang, Brian Baker, Kenny de Schepper, Rueben Bemelmans, Inigo Cervantes, Jerzy Janowicz & Andrey Kuznetsov.

Women's Qualifiers: Melina Czink, Annika Beck, Maria Elena Camerin, Kristina Mladenovic, Sandra Zaniewska, Vesna Dolonc, Jana Cepelova, Kristyna Pliskova, Karolina Pliskova, Camila Giorgi, Coco Vandeweghe & Mirjana Lucic.

Wimbledon draw is @ 10am tomorrow. You can listen live on their website.

Djokovic has been drawn against former world no.1 Juan Carlos Ferrero, could be a difficult opener.

• Advertisement

Federer v Albert Ramos
    Murray v Nikolay Davydenko
    Nadal v Thomas Bellucci
    Some interesting first round ties ahead.

Jankovic Clijsters what a game. Think Clijsters will go very far.

Wow what a tough draw for Murray. May have to beat Karlovic and Cilic just to make the quarters!

Poor Lleyton Hewitt too. Tsonga round one

Rob2D wrote: »

Isn't he the lad with the really loud shriek? Very annoying to watch alright.

Very intriguing draw!!

World No.1 and defending champion Novak Djokovic has quite a tough opener against former No.1 & 2003 French Open champion Juan Carlos Ferrero. Clay might be JC's favoured surface but he's not too shabby on grass, having reached the QFs at Wimbledon in '07 & '09. I expect him to give Djoko a great match! The Serb has a pretty good draw; he should face no real difficulties (if he beats JC). Richard Gasquet/Tomas Berdych could be his QF opponent. Novak kicks off the defence of his title on Monday.

Roger Federer begins his quest for a 17th Grand Slam against Albert Ramos of Spain. Don't mean to jinx it but his draw looks relatively comfortable. Tipsarevic, Isner, Verdasco, Simon & Nalbandian are there but if Roger is fit and healthy he could make the SFs. A Djokovic-Federer semi would be great!!

Fresh from his win at Roland Garros Nadal is rested and ready to rumble. He's been drawn against Brazilian Thomasz Bellucci in the first round. A few dangers lurking in his quarter: Tomic, Lopez, Tsonga, Hewitt & Haas (The Comeback Kid Brian Baker is also in his quarter). Once again, Nadal is slated to face Murray in the SFs. Let's hope is better than previous years.

Speaking of Murray, he has probably the toughest opener against Nikolay Daveydenko. And it doesn't get any easier - Raonic, Roddick, Cilic, del Potro & Ferrer....then a possible Nadal SF.

Tsonga vs. Hewitt in the first round - I cannot wait for this one!! Both players very popular and fun to watch. John Isner & Nicolas Mahut could face each other in the 2nd round. Third in a row they'll play at Wimbledon. These lads must think it's a fix at this stage!:pac:

On the women's side, defending champion Petra Kvitova will play Akgul Amanmuradova in the first round. She's got a tough quarter; Serena Williams is a possible QF opponent. Safarova, Cibulkova, Schiavone & Shvedova are also in that quarter.

World No.1 Maria Sharapova plays Anastasia Rodionova in the first round. She'll will be brimming with confidence after her French Open win and it'll take a lot to defeat her. Kim Clijsters is in her quarter and I wouldn't bet against a Sharapova-Clijsters QF.

Australian Open champion Victoria Azarenka faces American Irina Falconi in her first round match. She has to defend her ranking points from last year when she reached the SFs. Bartoli and Wozniacki look like the biggest threats in her quarter but I would favour Marion since Caroline has had a lacklustre grass season so far.

Clijsters-Jankovic in the first round should be a good match! Jelena seems to have a bit of form now after reaching the final of Edgbaston. But, unfortunately, Clijsters had to retire from the semi-final of the UNICEF Open, citing stomach muscle injury. Seems to be more of a precaution; more information here. I'd love to see Kim win the title so hoping for the best!

Can't wait for Wimbledon to start!!:D

Very intriguing draw!!

Speaking of Murray, he has probably the toughest opener against Nikolay Daveydenko.

Not really looked at the draw in great detail, but why is everyone hyping up Davydenko as some sort of danger??:confused:

Chap is totally past it and even in his peak he was cack on grass.

If Murray loses it will be the worst Grand Slam result of his career:(

Ferrero is a tricky start for Nadal. Bellucci has had some big results over the last couple of years, has serious power, he won't beat Rafa but if he clicks he could be annoying for Rafa.

Very intriguing draw!!

Bartoli and Wozniacki look like the biggest threats in her quarter but I would favour Marion since Caroline has had a lacklustre season so far.

FYP.;)

Just seen Wozzy plays Tamira Paszek in the first round. Tamira is in the Eastbourne Final after beating Bartoli today.

Caroline will probably win that match but with her current form she really needed some easy matches to get some confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Not really looked at the draw in great detail, but why is everyone hyping up Davydenko as some sort of danger??:confused:

Chap is totally past it and even in his peak he was cack on grass.

If Murray loses it will be the worst Grand Slam result of his career:(

Ferrero is a tricky start for Nadal. Bellucci has had some big results over the last couple of years, has serious power, he won't beat Rafa but if he clicks he could be annoying for Rafa.

You are quite right that Murray will probably win the first round match against Davydenko. I think the concern of most people is that Davydenko is not the sort of player to meet in the first round. It can be very tricky- trust me. Especially considering the fact that Murray has lost all his 3 preparatory matches for the tournament.

Like you, I think he will win the match, but he has one hell of a task to get to the semis with the likes of Raonic, Karlovic, Del potro and Anderson- tough tough draw, bless him.

Ferrero will be playing against Novak and not Nadal. Personally I think Novak has the easiest draw out of the top 4 and it looks like we would have the top 3 in the semis unless a miracle occurs.

You are quite right that Murray will probably win the first round match against Davydenko. I think the concern of most people is that Davydenko is not the sort of player to meet in the first round. It can be very tricky- trust me. Especially considering the fact that Murray has lost all his 3 preparatory matches for the tournament.

Like you, I think he will win the match, but he has one hell of a task to get to the semis with the likes of Raonic, Karlovic, Del potro and Anderson- tough tough draw, bless him.

Ferrero will be playing against Novak and not Nadal. Personally I think Novak has the easiest draw out of the top 4 and it looks like we would have the top 3 in the semis unless a miracle occurs.

Make that top 4 I'd say. I know Murray has a tough draw but I still fancy him to go to the semis. Tsonga is the man to avoid in the quarters isn't it Rafa that has him (providing they both make it)? Would fancy Rafa but not easy.

For the womens it's far more open in my view but I can't look past Serena however I've a good feeling about Clijsters and Azarenka.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭whendovescry

Isner-Mahut possible match up in round two! I'd love to see Mahut make some sort of a run this year, been very unforunate throughout his career in the big events and has a lovely grass court game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Could any kind person tell me, if Serena Williams and Sharapova won all their matches, at what stage would they meet? QF,SF or finals?

Thanks a million :cool:

• Advertisement

Still would be astounded if Murray cant beat a washed up Davydenko who has been brutal all year and was always a bit crap on grass. Now if it was any of the other 3 slams I would be worried though.

Slip of the finger with Nadal and JCF, although he would probably still have 2 much for Bellucci and JCF in a handicap tennis game.:pac:

Advertisement