Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭whendovescry

they're in opposite sides of the draw, so it would be the final!

http://www.tennis.com/tournaments/wimbledon/draws/2012_draws_women.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Could any kind person tell me, if Serena Williams and Sharapova won all their matches, at what stage would they meet? QF,SF or finals?

Thanks a million :cool:

Final. Don't think Maria will make it myself but I fancy Serena all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

they're in opposite sides of the draw, so it would be the final!

http://www.tennis.com/tournaments/wimbledon/draws/2012_draws_women.aspx

For me, that is truly the final to savour, if it is indeed the last time we are to see Serena take to centre court, as she and Sharapova have the most ( in my mind ) longstanding and legitimate competitive relationship ( dominated by Serena of course). I would like to see Maria take it against Serena in the final, but I have a hunch she may exit in the quarters if she meets Clijsters, as previously mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭whendovescry

For me, that is truly the final to savour, if it is indeed the last time we are to see Serena take to centre court, as she and Sharapova have the most ( in my mind ) longstanding and legitimate competitive relationship ( dominated by Serena of course). I would like to see Maria take it against Serena in the final, but I have a hunch she may exit in the quarters if she meets Clijsters, as previously mentioned.

yeah, i'd love to see that final. Have they met in wimbo since that final in '04?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Sorry, I couldn't say with certainty :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

yeah, i'd love to see that final. Have they met in wimbo since that final in '04?
    The 2010 QF IIRC. Serena won in straight sets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Johnmb wrote: »
    The 2010 QF IIRC. Serena won in straight sets.
    Just checked, it was the 4th round, not the QF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Schedule of Play for tomorrow is released.

Up first on Centre is Djokovic-Ferrero, followed by Sharapova-Rodionova & Berdych-Gulbis.
    Federer is out on Court 1 against Ramos after Nalbandian-Tipsarevic. Clijsters-Jankovic is third.

Other playing tomorrow are Venus Williams, Agnieszka Radwanska, Stosur, Isner, Mahut, Verdasco & Pironkova.

Wish I was there!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

RosyLily wrote: »
    Schedule of Play for tomorrow is released.

Up first on Centre is Djokovic-Ferrero, followed by Sharapova-Rodionova & Berdych-Gulbis.
    Federer is out on Court 1 against Ramos after Nalbandian-Tipsarevic. Clijsters-Jankovic is third.

Other playing tomorrow are Venus Williams, Agnieszka Radwanska, Stosur, Isner, Mahut, Verdasco & Pironkova.

Wish I was there!:(

You heading over at all?

Very decent line up for a first day. Particularly looking forward to seeing if Fererro can challenge Djokovic and the Clijsters Jankovic match.

_Bella_ wrote: »
    You heading over at all?

Not this year unfortunately.:( I was in London job hunting a while ago so I'm fairly broke...and still job-less! If anyone I like wins, I'll be ridiculously pissed!!:pac:
    Very decent line up for a first day. Particularly looking forward to seeing if Fererro can challenge Djokovic and the Clijsters Jankovic match.

2 matches I am most looking forward too! If Djokovic & Ferrero and Jankovic & Clijsters are in good nick, we could have some great tennis!

• Advertisement

On the eve of the tournament I'm settling on Nadal and Serena. Can't change my mind now :D

Big 4 for mens semis (Tsonga has Nadal doesn't he? Tough draw) and Clijsters to go very far in women's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Preview of the men's singles. Looking forward to this.

http://cork.studenty.me/2012/06/25/wimbledon-preview-the-contenders/

A few results already in...

[3] Angieszska Radwanska def. Magdalena Ryibarikova 6-3, 6-3
    [5] Sam Stosur def. Carla Suarez Navarro 6-1, 6-3
    Ryan Sweeting def. Potito Starace 6-2, 2-0 ret.
    [Q] Camila Giorgi def. [16] Flavia Pennetta 6-4, 6-3
    [11] Na Li def. Ksenia Pervak 6-3, 6-1
    [15] Sabine Lisicki def. Petra Martic 6-4, 6-2
    Anna Tatishvili def. Tamarine Tanasugarn 6-4, 6-2
    Sorana Cirstea def. Pauline Parmentier 6-4, 6-1

No surprises, expect for Pennetta's loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Vesnina is slaughtering Venus Williams here so far.

Venus is at 6's and 7's against Vesnina. If she can't sort out her serve she'll be out in no time. Surely she'll improve in this set though and I would't rule her out just yet

Venus gone. Has been struggling with illness but still thought she'd make a decent impact on this tournament but alas no. That could well be her last Wimbledon. Up to Serena now to do it :D

Nice to see Lisecki through earlier was a huge fan of her last year. Struggled with injury a bit this year if I'm correct would love to see her do well.

Djokovic cantered to victory v Ferrero. Nalbandian in a bit of trouble v world number 8 Tipsarevi. 2 sets down just lost the second on tie-break

Really enjoying the Tipsarevic Nalbandian match. Sharapova is steam rolling her opponent.

Sad to see Venus go out so early, I think we may see her retire after the Olympics as it can't be easy for her going out so early in tournaments. I thought Djokovic looked quite good in his match. He served well and in the second and third sets both his forehand and backhand looked very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

Not surprised with the exit of Venus in the first round. I think she has reached the end of her career tbh. Nice performance from Roger; he outplayed his Spaniard opponent 6-1 6-1 6-1.

Meanwhile we could be in for a surprise early exit by Berdych, he is 2 sets down against Gulbis and serving to stay in the match at 5-4, third set. I would be mortified if he lost.

Berdych gone major shock!

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Berdych gone major shock!

Yup! Shocking stuff indeed. I am really gutted for him, he is a very good player but he just didnt rise up to the occasion.

• Advertisement

KINGVictor wrote: »
    Yup! Shocking stuff indeed. I am really gutted for him, he is a very good player but he just didnt rise up to the occasion.

Yeah hard to believe was only two years ago he bet Federer and Djokovic to make the final!

In the women's Clijsters made light work of jankovic, have to feel sorry for jelena though had to be the one player every seeded player was looking to avoid! As I said before Clijsters could well go a long way in her final Wimbledon championships

I really like Heather Watson, I would love to see her make a good run in Wimbledon this year.

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Yeah hard to believe was only two years ago he bet Federer and Djokovic to make the final!

In the women's Clijsters made light work of jankovic, have to feel sorry for jelena though had to be the one player every seeded player was looking to avoid! As I said before Clijsters could well go a long way in her final Wimbledon championships

Yeah he beat Fed and Novak to get to finals in 2010 and the problem is he is not getting any younger-27 this year. I really thought he had a good chance of getting to the quarters to face Novak.

Clijsters is a formidable player and will surely be missed when she retires. Like you, I think she would go far in the tournament, the womens game is not really competitive enough to deny her a place in at least the quarters.

Sharapova is playing some deadly tennis at the moment, I felt that she would struggle with the transition from clay to grass- not a chance! She is surely a favourite for the finals. Performances from Serena, Kvitova, Azarenka and Wozniaki tomorrow will provide a clearer indication of the chances of top players in the womens draw. I won't be shocked if one of them fails to progress to the second round.

I really like Heather Watson, I would love to see her make a good run in Wimbledon this year.

She is quite good but has the tendency to choke at the end and makes a lot of unforced errors against big players. I also feel that her height is a key constraint, she has the talent but still needs some experience for her to blossom.

GB women's tennis is generally poor but its nice to see her and Laura playing relatively well. Laura has a tough match against Schiavone tomorrow- pretty unlikely she will make the second round but then we can never tell. That will be some major upset if she did.

Yeah really enjoyed her game there she's great to watch and seems a lovely girl. That 16 minute game was epic. She had like 10 break points I think in it. However I'd question her if she came under the cosh. At a stage there it looked like she might capitulate when she was serving for the match. Seemed to tire at times too. But played some great shots. Delighted for her.
    KINGVictor wrote: »
    Yeah he beat Fed and Novak to get to finals in 2010 and the problem is he is not getting any younger-27 this year. I really thought he had a good chance of getting to the quarters to face Novak.

Clijsters is a formidable player and will surely be missed when she retires. Like you, I think she would go far in the tournament, the womens game is not really competitive enough to deny her a place in at least the quarters.

Sharapova is playing some deadly tennis at the moment, I felt that she would struggle with the transition from clay to grass- not a chance! She is surely a favourite for the finals. Performances from Serena, Kvitova, Azarenka and Wozniaki tomorrow will provide a clearer indication of the chances of top players in the womens draw. I won't be shocked if one of them fails to progress to the second round.

Yeah I can't wait for tomorrow. Some great games and sure it's always nice seeing Andy playing in centre court! Can see Wozniacki going, incredibly overrated imv. Wouldn't put it past Kvitova to get knocked out early either, although she was worthy champ last year. Sharapova could take beating as you say. I still can't see her winning it outright (would fancy Serena to have too much for her) but boy she looked unplayable in the first 4 games of the match. Conceded 1 point in them iirc

In other news big John Isner is gone :( His opponent is no craic everyone wanted Mahut Isner second round :D :pac: Big day of shocks though!

Last I checked though the Frenchman is under pressure also, called off for the night I think! On the brink of elimination

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Sad to see Venus despatched so easily today.

I hope she recovers her health and has at least one more decent run at Wimbledon. Although maybe the Olympics will be her SW19 Swansong.

Sharapova will take some beating this year.

Olivier Rochus tied with Almagro as play is suspended for the night. Rochus is 5"5 unbelievable! 17 inches shorter than Isner/karlovic haha

Some good tennis today!

Quite surprised that Isner was knocked out..even more surprised by Berdych's exit. Gulbis is one of those frustrating players that has talent but doesn't do much. But he deserved the win.

I was disappointed by the Clijsters-Jankovic match. I was expecting a more competitive battle. Happy that Clijsters got through and she didn't show any signs of the stomach injury so fingers crossed that she goes deep in the draw!

Heather Watson played well against Iveta Benesova; that penultimate game was epic! Her first Wimbledon win ever, including her time in the Juniors. Great crowd on Centre Court for it, quite loud. She'll play Jamie Hampton next.

Tomorrow sees the Andy's (Roddick & Murray) in action. Petra Kvitova is first on Centre against Akgul Amanmuradova, followed by Nadal (vs. Bellucci) & Murray (vs. Davydenko).
    Most looking forward to the Hewitt-Tsonga match!! They're second on Court 1 after Zvonareva-Barthel. Also playing are Serena Williams, Azarenka, del Potro, Wozniacki, Raonic, Bartoli, Ferrer & Cilic.

Schedule for Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

RosyLily wrote: »
    Some good tennis today!

Quite surprised that Isner was knocked out..even more surprised by Berdych's exit. Gulbis is one of those frustrating players that has talent but doesn't do much. But he deserved the win.

I was disappointed by the Clijsters-Jankovic match. I was expecting a more competitive battle. Happy that Clijsters got through and she didn't show any signs of the stomach injury so fingers crossed that she goes deep in the draw!

Heather Watson played well against Iveta Benesova; that penultimate game was epic! Her first Wimbledon win ever, including her time in the Juniors. Great crowd on Centre Court for it, quite loud. She'll play Jamie Hampton next.

Tomorrow sees the Andy's (Roddick & Murray) in action. Petra Kvitova is first on Centre against Akgul Amanmuradova, followed by Nadal (vs. Bellucci) & Murray (vs. Davydenko).
    Most looking forward to the Hewitt-Tsonga match!! They're second on Court 1 after Zvonareva-Barthel. Also playing are Serena Williams, Azarenka, del Potro, Wozniacki, Raonic, Bartoli, Ferrer & Cilic.

Schedule for Tuesday

Its surprising for someone with such a monster serve, he has never done much at Wimbledon isn't it with Isner?
    Enjoyed the Barthel and Vera game, both are insanely out of form and quite unpredictable so it can be fun to watch. I want Barthel to win just because I think she could do serious damage if she progresses.

Vera will probably have to much experience tomorrow sadly however.

• Advertisement

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Its surprising for someone with such a monster serve, he has never done much at Wimbledon isn't it with Isner?
    Enjoyed the Barthel and Vera game, both are insanely out of form and quite unpredictable so it can be fun to watch. I want Barthel to win just because I think she could do serious damage if she progresses.

Vera will probably have to much experience tomorrow sadly however.

His best at Wimbledon is two second round appearances ('10 & '11). On paper, he's a great candidate to do well here. Huge serve, big ground strokes & moves fine for a man at 6'9''. Just can't make it happen at SW19.:confused:

Advertisement