Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something from Nothing: The Art of Rap

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I think some people are getting the wrong idea about this doc. It never claimed to be an anthology or almanac of all hip hop that ever mattered. It was a documentary about different MCs approach to writing lyrics, their methods, their influences and what they feel they have contributed to hip hop.

I am very interested to see if Ice T uses some of the "about 1 hour from each MC" that he mentioned in the Q&A on the DVD release. I mean he packed in 40 MCs, not to mention all he helicopter shots and cityscape segues with the beats and verses.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

iamstop wrote: »
    I think some people are getting the wrong idea about this doc. It never claimed to be an anthology or almanac of all hip hop that ever mattered. It was a documentary about different MCs approach to writing lyrics, their methods, their influences and what they feel they have contributed to hip hop.

I am very interested to see if Ice T uses some of the "about 1 hour from each MC" that he mentioned in the Q&A on the DVD release. I mean he packed in 40 MCs, not to mention all he helicopter shots and cityscape segues with the beats and verses.

Very true.Looking forward to the DVD release.

There was some great comedy moments in it as they all seemed so relaxed in the company of Ice T - what with him being one of them and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Camac Hibs

I was also amazed when it turned out it was Joe Budden on that verse :eek:

Doug E Fresh's appearance again shows most beatboxers are cracked.

All in all highly enjoyable - couldnt help thinking it could have benefited from Masta Ace's input but as someone has mentioned I dont think the intention was so much to chronicle hip hop but rather explore the art of being an emcee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ilovemovies

They did actually show Project X and if im not mistaken they had it for at least 3 weeks, this film was far from being a major money maker, it didn't do much at the box office at all. As for The Inbetweeners very few cinema's got to show that, due to poor distribution agreements by Entertainment Movies, they would not distribute to "certain" cinema's for whatever reason, as has been the case for a number of their movies over the last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

They did actually show Project X and if im not mistaken they had it for at least 3 weeks, this film was far from being a major money maker, it didn't do much at the box office at all. As for The Inbetweeners very few cinema's got to show that, due to poor distribution agreements by Entertainment Movies, they would not distribute to "certain" cinema's for whatever reason, as has been the case for a number of their movies over the last couple of years.

Eh i think you have the wrong thread....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ilovemovies

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »

Eh i think you have the wrong thread....
    ..actually the comment was a response to jimmy iovine's comment on page 1 of this thread, not sure where his "comment / quote" went from my reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

..actually the comment was a response to jimmy iovine's comment on page 1 of this thread, not sure where his "comment / quote" went from my reply!

Yes they did show Project X alright. It was a full 4 weeks after it came out originally though. They missed out on the initial buzz and everyone who wanted to see it had gone to another cinema to watch it. There's almost no point in bringing it in that late.

In the case of The Inbetweeners I can only go on what I saw myself but the majority of people that I know around the country were all able to see it in their local cinema. My brother had to go to Waterford to see it. I had to wait until I was in Dublin to see it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Giving this thread a bump because The Art of Rap was shown on VH1 last week in the U S of A. There is a huge wink-wink and nudge-nudge in what I am saying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

any recipies for that Bappsie?

• Advertisement

NEvermind, got one.

Downloaded the VH1 version and it's edited to ****, loads of stuff missing, kinda annoyed, have to watch the whole ****ing thing again. Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeit.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Glad to hear you acquired a copy. But i'll be getting the DVD/BluRay release as there are 2 hours of extras apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭ghostface ste

Watched this the other night, it's not a very good film with a particularly bad structure to it jumping all over the place. Interesting bits from a few of the the contributors but a few appearances from some rappers would like to have heard from are very short and pointless. Gets Raekwon on screen to talk for 20 secs on what 'whack' is?? wtf.

Watched this the other night, it's not a very good film with a particularly bad structure to it jumping all over the place. Interesting bits from a few of the the contributors but a few appearances from some rappers would like to have heard from are very short and pointless. Gets Raekwon on screen to talk for 20 secs on what 'whack' is?? wtf.

Have to agree, its a bit all over the place and not well balanced. Ice forgets that he is the interviewer at point in it as well, although his stories are good, Doug E. Fresh who is being interviewed only ends up beat boxing and answering one question.
    And it was a bit much having 3 seperate interviews with KRS. KRS is probably still answering the questions :)

But besides all that, I have to applaud what he has done and getting the artists to contribute. Especially the sit down with Cube.

But, it's given me an idea for a documentary as well, I'm going to try work out a plan and call in lots of favours from my videographer and post production friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

It was great to see all the faces and all that, but at the end of the day I didn't really come away from it with anything more than that. I feel it didn't have any clear narrative or structure, and I'm still kind of unclear about what it was meant to be about.

I think they focused too much on cramming as many rappers into it as possible, rather than trying to provide any depth or substance. In a few places they got into it a bit about song writing approaches, which would have been interesting to see fleshed out more - e.g. Rakim and the dots.

For a documentary about the art of rap, and song-writing, I still don't feel like I've come away with knowing a whole lot more about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

Watched this over the weekend, and while I enjoyed it I agree that there was no real structure and no real depth either. Can't imagine any casual fans would be too interested in it.

The only real thing I took away from it was the urge to listen to some Eminem, It's been a minute!

Advertisement