Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something from Nothing: The Art of Rap

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Well I'm going.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

2ajs5ev.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I will be there

This is on tomorrow night, any other boardsies apart from me and osmosis heading to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

I'd love too see it but I'm not living in Dublin. Iv followed all the promo , il have to wait for a copy to hit the net !

• Advertisement

aah sickener, luckily im about a 20 minute bus journey away from the cinema it's on in, cant wait for it!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I got me a ticket for the Swan Center show.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I'd like to go but I'm too far away. It was a trek and a half getting to the Wu concert the other night, and I don't want to have to go through all that again.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

It's showing in cinemas nationwide, so check your local.

I'm still now sure yet, I've a football match tonight that is on the verge of being cancelled. If it's cancelled, I'm there.

Ha this is the Kilkenny Omniplex we're talking about. It's possibly the worst cinema ever. They didn't show The Inbetweeners or Project X, two of the biggest films of the last year. Both of those films sold out evey day for a week in other towns. I wouldn't be surprised if they fail to show the new Batman film. They are a joke.

I'll have to look to the cinemas in other counties.

• Advertisement

Football match cancelled - whoop whoop...but it turns out i wont be going to this.

It's on at 7 everywhere which is a sh*tty time on a Thursday for me as the missus doesnt get home until 7:30.

So I guess I'll have to wait for DVD.

@Jimmy - I checked the Kilkenny Omniplex for you, not on, but you could go see Spidyman instead :)

Just got back from this, was fairly good. They had a live performance of wu tang, Chuck D and that lad from the furious 5 (cant remember his name right now) and Ice T after the film. There was only about 10 people at the screening.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Just got back from this, was fairly good. They had a live performance of wu tang, Chuck D and that lad from the furious 5 (cant remember his name right now) and Ice T after the film. There was only about 10 people at the screening.

Eh, it wasn't Wu Tang, it was 2 member of Wu Tang, Raekwon and Ghotface. Melle Mel was that cat's name.
    Movie was decent but there was some bulb issue at the cinema I was at so it didn't look right. It was cool to hear some of them dope beats on a cinema sound system though.
    Some seriously tight raps done acapella though.

iamstop wrote: »
    Eh, it wasn't Wu Tang, it was 2 member of Wu Tang, Raekwon and Ghotface. Melle Mel was that cat's name.
    Movie was decent but there was some bulb issue at the cinema I was at so it didn't look right. It was cool to hear some of them dope beats on a cinema sound system though.
    Some seriously tight raps done acapella though.

I know it wasnt the full wu tang, and actually there was 3 members, Meth was standing behind the decks singing parts of the hooks and all. Yeah i couldnt remember melle mel's name last night.

I'll probably pick it up on dvd anyway, it's worth seeing again

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

I know it wasnt the full wu tang, and actually there was 3 members, Meth was standing behind the decks singing parts of the hooks and all. Yeah i couldnt remember melle mel's name last night.

I'll probably pick it up on dvd anyway, it's worth seeing again

I can't get over how you think your man was Meth, I'm genuinely stunned. What planet are you on? Incredible on so many levels.

LUPE wrote: »
    I can't get over how you think your man was Meth, I'm genuinely stunned. What planet are you on? Incredible on so many levels.

Did you even see the film? Meth was standing behind the dj in a blue t-shirt and cap singing parts of the hooks, that is a solid fact, what planet are you on?

There's a pretty bad quality video but you can clearly see meth beside the dj.

Did you even see the film? Meth was standing behind the dj in a blue t-shirt and cap singing parts of the hooks, that is a solid fact, what planet are you on?

There's a pretty bad quality video but you can clearly see meth beside the dj.

You've made a fool of yourself here, in a big way.

Yes I saw the film, and even with your "video evidence" it's clear to anyone that there is no way in the world that that is Method Man. Absolutely no way.

a) Since when has Meth ever just sat at the back beside the DJ and just echoed a few of the lines?

b) You don't think if that really was Meth he wouldn't have done a few verses?

c) You don't think he would have been worth a mention? Ice-T gave them all a big shoutout at the end, no mention of Meth, that didn't surprise you?

d) You don't think if it was Meth the crowd wouldn't have given him a bit of a reception. Your man just snook out and nobody batted an eyelid.

e) He didn't look a thing like him.

f) He didn't sound a thing like him.

I still can't get over how you think it's him, one of the most distinctive people in hip-hop and you show me this video above as if it's him.

Don't know who the lad was but for anyone who was at Wu Legends last Sunday it was your man that was hanging around the back of the stage the whole time.

At one point I thought it may have been Gza but never once did I think Meth. Not even built like him at all.
    Yeah, prob some Wu affiliate who is in training. Ha. But deffo not Method Man.

LUPE wrote: »
    You've made a fool of yourself here, in a big way.

Yes I saw the film, and even with your "video evidence" it's clear to anyone that there is no way in the world that that is Method Man. Absolutely no way.

a) Since when has Meth ever just sat at the back beside the DJ and just echoed a few of the lines?

b) You don't think if that really was Meth he wouldn't have done a few verses?

c) You don't think he would have been worth a mention? Ice-T gave them all a big shoutout at the end, no mention of Meth, that didn't surprise you?

d) You don't think if it was Meth the crowd wouldn't have given him a bit of a reception. Your man just snook out and nobody batted an eyelid.

e) He didn't look a thing like him.

f) He didn't sound a thing like him.

I still can't get over how you think it's him, one of the most distinctive people in hip-hop and you show me this video above as if it's him.

Don't know who the lad was but for anyone who was at Wu Legends last Sunday it was your man that was hanging around the back of the stage the whole time.

skimmed through that but i can tell you meth was meant to be at the gigs a couple of weeks back in the UK but he stayed in the hotel because he was unwell, that probably explains why he didnt do much on stage. The lad hanging back at the wu legends gig was GZA, i can tell you that and i wasnt even there. Now fúcking elaborate on how i've made a fool of myself, all my evidence is justified pal

skimmed through that but i can tell you meth was meant to be at the gigs a couple of weeks back in the UK but he stayed in the hotel because he was unwell, that probably explains why he didnt do much on stage. The lad hanging back at the wu legends gig was GZA, i can tell you that and i wasnt even there. Now fúcking elaborate on how i've made a fool of myself, all my evidence is justified pal

GZA hung back for a bit but there was another person on the stage with him. I'm not sure what his name was but I'd say he was a Wu Affiliate. He did nothing except hand out towels and drinks.

• Advertisement

The lad hanging back at the wu legends gig was GZA, i can tell you that and i wasnt even there.
    all my evidence is justified pal

Chat to ya

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Went to see this last night,suitably impressed - you know it's a good one when KRS 1 doesn't annoy you :D

It was probably Mathemathics who is/was the tour DJ and looks alot like Mef.

I cant see clearly enough in the clip to confirm.

Boom_Bap wrote: »

Is he still on the go?

Boom_Bap wrote: »

Mathematics wasn't the DJ for this tour. It was a guy called DJ Symphony. He's Raekwon's own DJ. He kind of looks like the Phillie Eagles QB Michael Vick

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Ainekav

why was there no mention of jay z or biggie? tupac was talked about by dre but nothing about big... except under the RIPs in the credits..

i thought it was great, Doug e. fresh beatboxing was a highlight as was Joe buddens rhyme which surprised me no end!!

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Ainekav

why was there no mention of jay z or biggie? tupac was talked about by dre but nothing about big... except under the RIPs in the credits..

i thought it was great, Doug e. fresh beatboxing was a highlight as was Joe buddens rhyme which surprised me no end!!

Ainekav wrote: »

I agree on Joe Buddens verse it was highly surprising one of the best on it.

Doug e Fresh looks like he hasn't aged one bit (he has the school teacher gene lol )

I got the impression they didn't want to dwell on deceased hip hoppers (rightly or wrongly) no mention of Guru with premo,no mention of JMJ with Run DMC,no mention of Big L with Lord finesse etc. I think Maybe Dre insisted on tupac being mentioned who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Liquidswords

Ainekav wrote: »
    Joe buddens rhyme which surprised me no end!!

That verse was a highlight, the scenes of the city and the people in it while he was reciting it a cappella really enhanced it but brah that's a verse off a 6 year old mixtape ain't nothing surprising about it at all.

• Advertisement

That verse was a highlight, the scenes of the city and the people in it while he was reciting it a cappella really enhanced it but brah that's a verse off a 6 year old mixtape ain't nothing surprising about it at all.

Sorry? I'm from Kildare not.... :D

The fact it's old doesn't take away from it,the fact it's Joe budden explains why i never heard it before,there was a stage where if he was playing live in my back yard i would have set the hounds on him :D just goes to show ignorance can result in missing some dope **** Brah :D

Advertisement