Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three Sciences for the Leaving

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Steve Fennelly

I've read a good bit of these posts but was looking for more of a specific answer for me. Honestly I'm a bit of a messer in school, so to speak and put no effort what so ever into the JC. I did higher everything besides Irish. I got 9 honors 1 pass, Got a D in higher maths. Which is understandable considering I did **** all. Now i'm picking subjects for the LC in a few days time and I always knew after JC that I was going to have to knuckle down for the leaving and do well. I've a huge interest in science and got a B in the JC with a huge class of 30-35~ which was hard at times. I was wondering if doing 3 science subjects is an option for someone like me, me being someone who hasn't really studied much so far and am not a solid A student. If I was to do 3 science subjects, would I need applied maths or at least have gotten a B or higher in the JC and If doing all 3 science subjects is hard to get high marks in the leaving. I'd be aiming to do higher English, maths. Ord Irish and my 4 option subjects + lcvp.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I've read a good bit of these posts but was looking for more of a specific answer for me. Honestly I'm a bit of a messer in school, so to speak and put no effort what so ever into the JC. I did higher everything besides Irish. I got 9 honors 1 pass, Got a D in higher maths. Which is understandable considering I did **** all. Now i'm picking subjects for the LC in a few days time and I always knew after JC that I was going to have to knuckle down for the leaving and do well. I've a huge interest in science and got a B in the JC with a huge class of 30-35~ which was hard at times. I was wondering if doing 3 science subjects is an option for someone like me, me being someone who hasn't really studied much so far and am not a solid A student. If I was to do 3 science subjects, would I need applied maths or at least have gotten a B or higher in the JC and If doing all 3 science subjects is hard to get high marks in the leaving. I'd be aiming to do higher English, maths. Ord Irish and my 4 option subjects + lcvp.

I don't understand what you're trying to say but Applied Maths has nothing to do with that and no you don't need a B or higher. The maths involved in Physics and Chemistry is minimal and even if you failed the Junior you can still do well in Leaving Cert with 3 sciences.

I don't do the 3 conventional sciences this thread is about, I do Biology and Physics but I do Applied Maths and it's technically counted as a science subject, I only got a C in JC Maths and B in Science but doing exceptionally well.
    Your Junior Cert doesn't matter as long as you have the right mind in 5th year.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Layzerman

If you're willing to work & get the grades I'd definitely go for it, if I was to go back I'd have picked physics as well as the other 2. I will say that the LC sciences are massively different from JC science.. There's much much much more information, but if you've an interest you're halfway there.

I can't comment on the physics in regards to difficulty but from what I can see it's a massive leap up from JC.

Chemistry is definitely a leap up too. If you have an interest in it then definitely do it - I was iffy about picking it last year because I thought it'd be too hard but it's definitely one of my best and most enjoyable subjects, not nearly as difficult as I had anticipated (so far, anyway). There's a lot more detail than the JC; you'll see that a lot of JC chemistry isn't entirely true if you do it for LC ;) You've said that you have an interest so I'd say go for it! Chemistry classes tend to be smaller so you won't have to deal with the high numbers either.

Biology is generally considered the easiest of the 3 (In my opinion it is anyway) but funnily enough has the highest HL fail rate of them.. This is probably put down to the 'type of student' who picks the other two though. Biology's different from the other two in the sense that it's more straight forward. You don't have to do a lot of understanding, it's more learning. The course if bigger also. I love biology as well, and it's really interesting stuff - definitely recommend it :)

Bottom line is; pick them if you're willing to work and have an interest in them :p

I was intending on picking Chem and biology first, as I had the most interest in them. Then realizing that I would much much prefer all 3 rather then doing geog or history or some other boring subject if possible. My friends thought I was having a laugh when I said I might do all 3, they all are just picking geog, construction, home economics etc. The ones some people say you get easy marks. But I've no interest in them and to be quite honest would probably do worst in them then physics. I'm really edging towards all 3 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

I was intending on picking Chem and biology first, as I had the most interest in them. Then realizing that I would much much prefer all 3 rather then doing geog or history or some other boring subject if possible. My friends thought I was having a laugh when I said I might do all 3, they all are just picking geog, construction, home economics etc. The ones some people say you get easy marks. But I've no interest in them and to be quite honest would probably do worst in them then physics. I'm really edging towards all 3 now.

If you're interested, go for it! Physics would be the hardest of the three but if you have a decent teacher and put the work in yourself it's by no means hard! That and with Chemistry and Physics, they tend to ask you the same sort of things over and over again. There are guaranteed experiment questions on both so if it came to a point where you were struggling you could still prioritise and sit a good exam. If you're interested as you seem to be though you should have no problem excelling in both! Biology is very straightforward but keep up with it! Don't make the mistake of letting it fall by the wayside because it's your easy science. Do a bit everyday and it'll be a breeze!

They're probably my three favourite subjects, and I wouldn't worry about not doing too well in maths. The maths in chemistry is very basic and there isn't much. The maths in physics can be a little harder but the majority of it is just formula manipulation which you will come to terms with from studying physics.

• Advertisement

Well since I've no real work to do with a due date as of now I've been really getting into maths. I don't do much in TY so I've been more or less doing maths every night and I'm actually enjoying it, Plus the odd bit of chemistry since I've only 2 classes of that a week but by the time 5th year rolls around, I should have no problem with keeping up with the maths. I'm glad to hear from people with science experience, no one I know took anything other then Biology.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Well since I've no real work to do with a due date as of now I've been really getting into maths. I don't do much in TY so I've been more or less doing maths every night and I'm actually enjoying it, Plus the odd bit of chemistry since I've only 2 classes of that a week but by the time 5th year rolls around, I should have no problem with keeping up with the maths. I'm glad to hear from people with science experience, no one I know took anything other then Biology.

Then you're already well on the way. :)

Nice to see you making good use of TY, as you're supposed to. My TY consisting of about 25% people taking part and getting involved, 50% ticking along and keeping up with projects and stuff and 25% who went around saying "Jesus this doss year is getting so boring".

If you're already working on it, and enjoying it, there's no reason why you wouldn't be able for all three sciences next year. People complain about the workload but it isn't heavy, they all complement each other better than most subjects, particularly chemistry and physics.

Advertisement