Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three Sciences for the Leaving

Options
  • 16-06-2012 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering is there anyone here who have done/are doing biology, chemistry and physics for the leaving.

If so, what's the workload like? Does it get boring? Is there any overlap between them?

Also, if anyone does any of the sciences and would give their opinion of them, I would be grateful.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

I did all 3, didn't find the workload too bad at all. The sciences are good if you prefer understanding things and working things out to learning things off by heart.

Of course, there's a good bit of learning involved in them but there's no learning off of essays and once you understand a concept it's much easier to remember it.

If you're genuinely interested in science they're great too, it's much easier to do well in a subject you're interested in.

I originally didn't want to do chemistry as I didn't like it for the junior cert, but with the way subject choices fell I ended up doing it. It's still my least favourite of the sciences, but recently I've started to like it a lot more and I think I'll do quite well in it on Tuesday.

Biology was my favourite of the sciences, I found it all really interesting and easy to understand. I ended up explaining a few things to my class as we had a sub teacher for most of sixth year and she wasn't great. I'm really glad I did biology, the experiments are fun and it's easy to learn if you're interested in it. I hopefully got an A1 in it.

Physics is great too, but if you don't like maths you might find parts of it difficult. There's not a lot of learning off in it as there are lots of calculations involved. The log tables are your best friend for this subject, most of the marks are in the tables if you understand and can apply the formulas. I got a B3 in the mock without ever studying for it, but I'm hoping for an A in the real thing as I have studied a bit since. Physics classes are really enjoyable too (until the end of sixth year I found, when they got a bit repetitive and boring). Especially if you have a small class and a nice teacher, my teacher was really laidback and made us tea in class and stuff. :L And there were only 11 of us, I found small classes the best as people are much more willing to ask questions and so on.

There's some overlap between them, not a huge amount. You learn about atomic structure and radioactivity in both chemistry and physics, but they're quite small parts of the courses. There are small overlaps between biology and chemistry, but I found them really interesting. Like you have to do a test for alcohol in biology and you only need to know about the colour change, but in chemistry you learn why that colour change happens and exactly what's going on.

Anyway I'm glad I did all 3 sciences, though it meant all my subjects were either science/maths or languages and there wasn't a whole lot of variety. Whether you'll do well in them depends on you, what you're interested in and whether you prefer understanding/calculating to rote learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Darksider

The great thing about physics and chemistry is that once you've built up an understanding of the subject, you can answer so many of the questions just through reasoning and without needing a learned off answer. On top of that, there is quite a bit of overlap between all three subjects.

I think if you honestly work at them throughout the two years and build up a good basis of knowledge and understanding then you should have absolutely no trouble once the leaving comes around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

I'd definitely do it if possible. I wasn't able with subject choices and I'm still regretting not taking physics up. i do biology and chemistry. (Chemistry is my favourite). If you plan on going into maths or science or medicine at all I'd recommend it. There isn't much over lap between bio and chem except a few little details but they do help each other.

And then app maths ( i didn't do it and regret it too! :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Knock0ut

I've only done biology but i loved it. There's a lot to learn, but if you study you will get an A1 it's as simple as that, there's very little understanding/working out stuff just what you remember. Half the experiments are so easy to explain and remember that if they come up in an exam it's free marks basically. I love biology exam questions because they're so simple: you get asked a question, you write the answer. No big essays, opinions, advantages, calculations, if you know the answer you get the marks. Easy.

Biology + study = A1.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

i do all 3 sciences (and applied maths too) and to be honest i love my subjects.
    the workload isnt too bad at all as long as you work in class and at home. From what i can tell the courses for sciences are much easier to revise than the likes of economics or history. I'd been revising hard all year and these days can study the entire course in one subject in a day. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭UnholyGregor

The three sciences are by far the best choice if youre aiming for around the 600pts mark. The thing about science subjects is, youre either right or wrong, theres no dodgy marking like things like english, or english based subjects that involve alot of arguments and discussion (history/geog)
    they can be difficult for certain students, who dont have alot of scientific or analytical aptitude, but i think theyre the safest for points, because you know what you know, and you know what you need to work on, if that makes sense.....
    Though if you want a1's, i've heard that economics is retardedly easy

bio can he complicated as a subject, but the actual exam is handy, mainly because all the stupid people do it, so the examinations committee cant make it too hard, or everyone will fail. Yes i know thats an outrageous statement, but its true. This year, they tried step it up a little bit, and everyone was freaking out lol, but yeah, its the easiest exam of the 3 sciences by a long shot.

chem is very daunting in 5th year, and the workload is prob the heaviest of the sciences, but as you get further into the subject, all the diffeerent areas lend in really well to one another and by the start of 6th year, it all comes together really nicely, well for me at least (though theres only 2 in my chem class so i might have a bit of an an advantage)

Physics, as siad above, suits the people that are into understanding things, rather than learning things off. So if you find yourself drifiting towards maths, youl enjoy physics

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭iliketwixbars

Thanks!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 376 ✭✭cambridge

are you hoping to do some kind of science/engineering/health science course in college?

I think if you're clever the 3 sciences are very doable, I only did 2 myself but I regret picking geography over Biology.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I did honors in all 3 and never found it to be a burden. If you have interest in the sciences and want to get into a science-based course, I would recommend it.

I found that I had a decent advantage in my first 2 years in college over people who did two or one.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

ChemHickey wrote: »
    I'd definitely do it if possible. I wasn't able with subject choices and I'm still regretting not taking physics up. i do biology and chemistry. (Chemistry is my favourite). If you plan on going into maths or science or medicine at all I'd recommend it. There isn't much over lap between bio and chem except a few little details but they do help each other.

And then app maths ( i didn't do it and regret it too! :( )

You are me! I wish I did all science/maths subjects.. None of this wishy washy **** where your mark is up to the examiner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

I do both Chemistry and Physic, I find if you've an interest in them it makes it sooo much easier, I think the workload in them is more than my other two subjects (applied maths and DCG) but if you have an interest in them it's quite easy to do both. As regards to overlap, there's a good overlap between Chemistry and Biology from what I've heard (as I don't do biology) and also a good overlap between Chemistry and Physics, but little or none between Physics and Biology.

My only warning to you is that your back will be fceked from those stools if you're in the labs 3 times a day ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I'm another 3 science person. I can't speak for any other subjects, but they probably are easier to study for than those essay type subjects. Would I do it again? God no. 2 years of science was ****ing mind-numbingly boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Did physics.

It will suit you if you are into working out problems, have an interest in how things happen. In short, you need some sort of logical/mathematical aptitude and an inquisitive nature. The maths, despite popular belief among those who dont do it, is very manageable. Once you can cross multiply and rearrange terms in fractions and multiply out the square roots that's it.

If you do choose I will really advise to be tuned in in 5th year. I did the mistake of not quite grasping the material, playing games on my iPod under the desk and not listening in 5th year thinking sure the exam is aaages away. In 6th year I ended up playing catch up. I got a D3 in the Mocks and I'm certain I got an A1 today.

Manageable subject (and so enjoyable) if you're into sciences.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Niamhers

I have reasons for wanting to do all three but if I do all three I will have no variation so I would appreciate some advice. I'm doing Applied Maths as an 8th subject as well which may influence my choice.

I think Biology would be good if I wanted to do something like Veterinary or Medicine (which is a possibility), from what I've heard it's the easiest for LC and it may be helpful in general.

I think I should do Chemistry although it's supposedly extremely difficult because it is necessary for courses; like Veterinary and Medicine.

I think Physics would be good because it would overlap a lot with Applied Maths and a little with Chemistry which would be convenient.

If it helps I got a B at HL for JC but that was with no study and I didn't finish my portfolio . . . So I would be hoping to do better for the LC. I know Science subjects are linked with Maths so if it helps I got an A at HL for the JC. I'm in TY now.

My problem mostly is . . . Will I get bored? Are these subject choices too single minded? I'd like to hear advice from people who have done or are doing these subjects and anyone who is familiar with LC.
    Thanks in advance, :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Merged your post with the most recent thread on the subject, you might find some useful information in the previous posts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭toadpenguin

Seeing as you got an A in Junior Cert Maths and are doing Applied Maths as an extra, you seem like you have a good mind for Physics. A lot of the paper involves calculations, nothing amazingly complicated but having a good maths brain definitely comes in handy.

There's a bit of overlap with Applied Maths and Chemistry, although not very much. For example, Applied Maths helps give you a better understanding of some of the mechanics chapters on the Physics course, while the basics of Radioactivity on the Physics and Chemistry syllabi are almost exactly the same.

Aside from that, I find Physics to be a really enjoyable, interesting subject. There's a ton of choice on the Leaving Cert paper too, which is very nice if you don't like the look of one particular question on the day or are weak in one specific part of the course.

As far as Chemistry is concerned, it's much the same. Very nice subject, very interesting if you give it the attention it deserves, plenty of choice on the paper. I would go out on a limb and say the material in Chemistry is a bit more difficult in general than the material in Physics, but it really depends on which you take more naturally to.

I'm not doing Biology so I can't speak for it, but bear in mind that for most (maybe all, correct me if I'm wrong) Medicine and Dentistry courses, it's Chemistry that's the compulsory subject, along with one other lab science.

I'm in 6th year at the moment, doing Physics and Chemistry and I'm completely happy with my choices. They open a lot of doors in Science and (in the case of Physics especially) Engineering courses in college so if you're any way considering a course in that area I would recommend them.

Hope I could be of some help here, if you have any other questions let me know or feel free to send me a PM :)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Apocladagr0

I'm in 5th year at the moment doing all three with app. maths. The workload is very manageable so far. Expect to be writing up a few experiments each week as well as learning off what you did in class. It's far more enjoyable than JC/TY.

I would highly, highly recommend doing them:cool:

They say you should pick a variety of subjects so that you will leave with a broad education and my response to that is that bio./chem./phys. all teach you fairly different things. All of it is very relevant. I think it definitely is "a broad education".

Doing unrelated subjects will will force you to adapt your mindset each time you switch subjects, making it all seem like a drag just like the JC was. Science subjects are easier to switch between : the language is similar... the scientific method is always being used etc...

Basically they're all different but tie into each other nicely:D.

App. maths is a brilliant subject, and those competent at HL maths and doing physics are foolish to not do it.

I don't think you'll be bored, because even though its all fairly easy you absolutely have to stay on top of everything or you'll get overwhelmed. There is some work involved.

Do look forward to doing these subjects, the only retarded one is English... =/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Anyone think the following combination is possible
    3 sciences
    Maths + App Maths
    Accounting maybe (any suggestions here ?)

OL ( Irish, English, Foreign Language.)

3 sciences
    Maths + App Maths

Nine subjects is too much work I think. Even if you are miraculously, somehow, capable and dedicated enough to sacrifice such massive volumes of time to study it all you're wasting a lot of time. Don't get me wrong, I know some people doing it, but I think it's fairly stupid.

I'm not sure how good you are at foreign languages, but have you considered doing yours at HL? Pick the same one you did for JC of course!

If you're not that great at foreign languages it might be worth doing English at HL instead. It sucks, but I don't think its worse than doing OL English + another HL subject.

Otherwise, doing nine subjects (OL or not) is loads of work, too much I think.

I can't comment on your decision to take up Irish at OL, I'm exempt:P
    Same reasoning I used for English and the foreign language though: pick your best of the three and do it at HL is my advice.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

3 sciences
    Maths + App Maths

That sounds like an awful worload, nine subjects are just too much. I think you should drop at least 1 and do HL English or foreign language. You're better off doing mandatory subjects at HL rather than doing them in ordinary and doing extra HL subjects to make up for the mandatory OLs which you have to do anyway

• Advertisement

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    That sounds like an awful worload, nine subjects are just too much. I think you should drop at least 1 and do HL English or foreign language. You're better off doing mandatory subjects at HL rather than doing them in ordinary and doing extra HL subjects to make up for the mandatory OLs which you have to do anyway

Do any people get their weaker subjects (in the above case OL English, Irish and foreign language) out of the way by sitting the Leaving in these 3 subjects at the end of 5th year???

Then they could concentrate on their six HL scoring subjects the following year (6th year). I know this tactic is not allowed for Medicine, but there is no reason why someone who wanted Dentistry or Pharmacy couldn't do it, is there???

You could also apply to UK universities to do Medicine (Scotland have free fees for Irish students) based on your 6th year Leaving results, at the same time.
    This covers all bases, I think :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Skinhead Kane

I'm doing Biology, Chemistry and Agricultural Science.

Are Biology and Agricultural Science allowed to be used together???
    Are there not any restrictions???

Are Biology and Agricultural Science allowed to be used together???
    Are there not any restrictions???

Not regarding points but for entry reasons they are for medicine, good thing I'm doing Chemistry so it doesn't matter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 401 ✭✭Leinsterr

Need advice too on the 3 sciences. I'm in 4th year and wanting to do medicine. I got an A in both HL Maths and Science and apparently my maths result was one of the best in the country. Also UCD offered me a place in the maths enrichment programme and maths Olympiad thing. I love history and want to do it but the workload is meant to be a lot. The 2 biology teachers are absolutely useless but if it just rote learning it should be fibe, right? There is one chemistry teacher in my school who is sound out. Have her this year and we are just doing interesting and fun experiments. My physics teacher is sound and a deadly teacher and I'm really interested in physics. What would be the best choices eg Biology, Chemistry + history, 3 sciences??? Thanks

Leinsterr wrote: »
    Need advice too on the 3 sciences. I'm in 4th year and wanting to do medicine. I got an A in both HL Maths and Science and apparently my maths result was one of the best in the country. Also UCD offered me a place in the maths enrichment programme and maths Olympiad thing. I love history and want to do it but the workload is meant to be a lot. The 2 biology teachers are absolutely useless but if it just rote learning it should be fibe, right? There is one chemistry teacher in my school who is sound out. Have her this year and we are just doing interesting and fun experiments. My physics teacher is sound and a deadly teacher and I'm really interested in physics. What would be the best choices eg Biology, Chemistry + history, 3 sciences??? Thanks

You may be good at maths, but terrible at reasoning if you don't even consider applied maths:P

The only excuse I can think of is that your school doesn't teach it. I'd still recommend that you take it up and teach yourself, because the workload is not that bad. Remember that the internet can help you (boards:)). You are gifted at maths so it really wouldn't be that hard. I've found it to be the least work, covered about two and a half chapters already. It's also quite enjoyable, much much better than statistics (*yawn*) which we're doing in maths at the moment. In app maths we've only done interesting things (Vectors and Uniform Acceleration for example).

I don't do history but I saw them having a test and one guy wrote a massive five A4 page essay which he had to memorize, only barely skimmed the A1, 90%. Didn't look fun at all:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 401 ✭✭Leinsterr

You may be good at maths, but terrible at reasoning if you don't even consider applied maths:P

The only excuse I can think of is that your school doesn't teach it. I'd still recommend that you take it up and teach yourself, because the workload is not that bad. Remember that the internet can help you (boards:)). You are gifted at maths so it really wouldn't be that hard. I've found it to be the least work, covered about two and a half chapters already. It's also quite enjoyable, much much better than statistics (*yawn*) which we're doing in maths at the moment. In app maths we've only done interesting things (Vectors and Uniform Acceleration for example).

I don't do history but I saw them having a test and one guy wrote a massive five A4 page essay which he had to memorize, only barely skimmed the A1, 90%. Didn't look fun at all:eek:
    I have applied maths just for this year only one a week. We have a useless teacher, it is actually embarrassing. I understand it, but no one else does so he spends all of his time using stupid teaching methods to explain it but no one gets it. It might be in my school next year but most likely not due to cutbacks. I might do it in the institute but with the way subjects are picked means I might have to do 9 subjects which will be unbearable.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

I just felt I had to chime in to advise against history, it's an absolutely horrible subject. You have no time at all in the exam to go into as much detail and do as much analysis as they want you to, completely defeating the purpose of encouraging critical thinking, and they give you 2 entire years to do a research topic and you'll end up having to do the same kind of thing in a week in college, so it's a bit of bad training imo. And there's 4 books. :eek:
    It really wouldn't complement your other subjects at all, so I'd definitely look into it more if I were you! And if the teachers in your school for it are bad, it's even worse - because then your project will be lacking etc. If you really love history and read around the course anyway then it's fine, but otherwise I'd advise against it.

Leinsterr wrote: »

Ag Scicence, Biology, Chemistry, English, Maths, Irish (if you're born here, if not get an exemption) and a second EU language such as French, Spanish and etc.
    They are the 3 easiest science subjects. It you're school doesn't do Ag Sci, then do Phyics, but I can only stress that its not a requirement for Medicine, only 2 science subjects are needed.

That's 7 subjects, 7 highers, you only count the 6 best for points in the LC. That will be enough. Less subjects more time to focus indivudially on each and master it. Do another subject it you like, what ever makes you happy, if it is Histroy and you actually like the subject, then do it, even more of an advantage. My friend scored 87% in his LC and he only picked the subject up at the end of Semptember of his 6th year! So if he can do it in less than 1 year and you're in 4th, you should be able to do well, if not better.

I'm also going to be doing medicine, currently in 5th year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Alex3519

I'm currently in fifth year, doing chemistry and biology. Biology is easy but it's a really long course and it might be boring. Chemistry is a far more enjoyable subject for me, even though it is hard to get your head around some parts. The important thing in chemistry is to understand what you're studying instead of just learning it off :)

Advertisement