Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap ass 3ds games!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Should've just said you had a 3DS!
    Of course then you'd end up with some ubisoft piece of crap!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,462 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Yeah that's what I did, I said it was a gift for a 12 year old boy with a 3DS. Thought they might feel extra sorry and send something good.

That might explain the Power Rangers stickers :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Got Battlefield 3 for the 360, already have it so that's a insta-trade in, also the 2012 Sonic/MArio Olympic tee, in medium, so I either lose a lot of weight or give it away, also the stickers and an odd toothy necklace thing from Resistance 3, a bit tatty tbh.
    At least I can get a few euro for BF3 on trade I guess....

Would have preferred a Mario figurine and Mario Tennis 3DS in all honesty, but at least they're saying sorry, and at least I got more stuff than O1s1n, which is comforting.

Is your BF3 a 'promotional copy not for resale'? I already have it too, might just keep this one & trade in the used one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Well I only got offered a gift today and I said it was for my brother for his 3ds. I know they are going to send out Kid Icarus, couldn't be any other game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Nope, it'll be Asphalt Pants Race Off or something...

• Advertisement

Ah I was hoping for turbo Pants tournament 64 3d if it was a racing one.

I was after that one as well.... ah well, well have to settle for Battle-Electro pants 3....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

So, what's the story with the 3DS. I'm on the verge of pre-ordering the 3DS XL but the region lock is putting me off.

Given that a method of circumventing the region lock looks to be a somewhat distant goal, from which region would you purchase your 3DS/3DS XL (regardless of if you've bought a PAL console already)?

I'm tempted to go with NTSC-J. Mainly because of Kokuga and Nano Assault. Is the NTSC-J store any different to the PAL and NTSC-U stores for buying downloadable content?

Master of the Universe

I rather my systems Japanese too, but I'd be a bit reluctant to buy a Japanese 3DS - can't see there being an absolute load of shmups or anything. Most of the best games you get on the 3DS now rely on a certain amount of understanding the language.

For example Kid Icarus is very possibly the best game on the system at the moment, (it's even a shooter! usually the genre we can all play in Japanese), but I couldn't imagine playing it in anything other than English.

The language doesn't bother me overly as if anything, it's a great learning tool to aid my language studies. That said, if Kokuga and Nano Assault have or are receiving PAL releases then I suppose that changes things quite a bit.

Such a shame Nintendo implemented a region lock on this console. It's the main stumbling block that is now stopping me reaching for the wallet and heading to the Vita (or neither console, seeing as Cave cancelled all their games for the Vita). :mad:

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Region locks are archaic in our modern world of internet shopping - It's baffling that they're used at all anymore.

I just can't believe they missed the opportunity to get the 2nd circle pad on there, especially as every new game that needs one will support the awful looking, but perfectly functional, Circle Pad Pro.
    The XL does look very nice though, be tempted to get one, how much is it to be to us Europeans?
    Will it be the same cost as the Vita?
    Is this the Vita's final doom?

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I just can't believe they missed the opportunity to get the 2nd circle pad on there, especially as every new game that needs one will support the awful looking, but perfectly functional, Circle Pad Pro.
    The XL does look very nice though, be tempted to get one, how much is it to be to us Europeans?
    Will it be the same cost as the Vita?
    Is this the Vita's final doom?

Madness isn't it. There was no reason NOT to have native support for the two sticks, especially with the added real estate of the XL.

That being said, the thoughts of a 3DS XL & LttP retouched in 3D is actually salivating.

Master of the Universe

Sure before it was released I was saying it was a great loophole for Nintendo to get the extra circle pad onto a 3DS - release an XL version and just say they're including it as they have the extra space. That way they'd at least save some face.

To release an XL version when it's not needed and exclude the ONE damn thing they could have put on there..I just.. the mind boggles!

By the way - LTTP retouched - I hope you're salivating with anger!? :P

o1s1n wrote: »
    By the way - LTTP retouched - I hope you're salivating with anger!? :P

Nah, provided the game itself is left in tact, I've no problem with them adding depth to it. I'd say it'd be cool. Either that or a whole new adventure

Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »
    Nah, provided the game itself is left in tact, I've no problem with them adding depth to it. I'd say it'd be cool. Either that or a whole new adventure

Heratic!!! Burn him!!! To the stake with thee!!!

Heratic!!! Burn him!!! To the stake with thee!!!

I actually think it'd be more impressive than the OoT port. LttP would really feel like a new game, OoT was more just an effect.

This is only concept art, but you get the idea. It'd be fukcing amazing

Zelda-A-link-to-the-Past.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

is that nintendo concept art for the game or fan art? Ill be getting this anyways, one of my favourite games ever.

keithgeo wrote: »
    is that nintendo concept art for the game or fan art? Ill be getting this anyways, one of my favourite games ever.

Fan art I assume, if its ever announced I'll be getting it too

Master of the Universe

It's by a guy called Orioto, he does loads of videogame based art like that.

I'll put in my artist snob hat and say he's overrated. Some of his stuff is great, but it's all very hit and miss. His colour mixing lets him down.

Edit - here's some more of his stuff. See what I mean about the colours? He uses too much white and black, waters them down and makes the images look dead. They should really be popping off the page.

http://gamerlimit.com/2009/05/a-must-see-classic-gaming-art/

• Advertisement

I'll put in my artist snob hat and say he's overrated. Some of his stuff is great, but it's all very hit and miss. His colour mixing lets him down.

Edit - here's some more of his stuff. See what I mean about the colours? He uses too much white and black, waters them down and makes the images look dead. They should really be popping off the page.

I thought he got the opening scene of LttP perfect though, the darkness & the rain is really nice. I see what you mean re his other stuff though

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

EnterNow wrote: »
    Fan art I assume, if its ever announced I'll be getting it too

ah I thought it was already announced

Master of the Universe

It's a good picture and you're right about the rain.

What runs it for me is that horrible murky black/brown and the blue of the water doesn't sit right.

When you paint and mix colour, you need to use existing colours together. So the brown should have been darked down with blue and a bit of red - then that original blue should have been the source for the water.

Looks like to make the brown darker, he threw a load of black into it. Totally kills a picture.

Whenever you're mixing paint colours darker, always think of father ted -

Father Ted: That's right. Sometimes you see lay people wearing apparently black socks, but if you look closely, they are really very, very, very very dark blue.
    Father Dougal: That's true. I thought my Uncle Tommy was wearing black socks but when i look at them closely, they were just very, very, very, very, very, very dark blue.
    Father Ted: Never buy black socks in a normal shop. They will shaft you everytime.

- Don't use black - darken colours with blue and red - you can pretty much almost get it down to black.

Use white sparingly - you will have a better painting for it.

Master of the Universe

keithgeo wrote: »
    ah I thought it was already announced

Nope, not yet.

If they do make it, I'd imagine it'll just be standard Link to the Past with a 3D effect added in.

But then, didnt Nintendo say that adding 3D to 2D games was far harder than they'd originally planned and it was easier to build the game from ground up instead?

So maybe in that case we'd see something a bit more interesting instead...I haven't seen Nintendo put a load of effort into a remake for years though. That's what was handy about OOT, they could just up the texture resolutions and bang on some 3D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

I think we can take it that Nintendo won't be including a second circle pad any time soon if at all.

Time to keep an eagle eye out for price drops on the original version so!

See what I mean about the colours? He uses too much white and black, waters them down and makes the images look dead. They should really be popping off the page.

0.jpg
    o1s1n, source: file photo.

Master of the Universe

If you saw some of the stuff I painted back in college, you couldn't be further from the truth :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Hah funny you mention that name, was going over images on my PC yesterday and spotted those Zelda ones by him. They would look cool hanging on a wall but not in a Zelda game imo. Leave the graphic style of LTTP alone and stay away from the look used in Twilight Princess altogether.

Leaving the art of it alone, even adding 3d to give the structures/hills/houses/mountains etc some real height would be perfect. I'm sorely overdue a lttp playthrough :(

• Advertisement

Well I got my bits and bobs. No game!

Power Rangers Stylus
    Assassin Creed light pen
    A string with two pointed teeth
    Dog tags
    And a crappy paperback book based on skyrim by Greg Keyes, not even a first edition.

I ordered a Mario Nintendo game for a Nintendo console and a mario statue. Did I receive any Mario or even Nintendo bits and bobs?
    Why I no get stickers or tshirt or starpants 64 3ds?

Advertisement