Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forced Abortion, China.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭conorhal

I don't understand why people are calling for trade links with China to be cancelled, considering China have regulations against this practise put in place 11 years ago, copied from the article quoted in the OP:

"The government did not pinpoint exactly who the perpetrators were, but vowed to avoid a repeat of such a case, which it said was against regulations in effect since 2001 banning late-term abortions."

While the people involved were acting as officials, they were not acting according to their regulations. You can't blame the rest of China because of a small number of pricks.

If you believe that you'll believe anything. This is a state in which NOTHING happens without official sanction.
    Those officials where merely embarrassingly caught. And as long as china is ruled by a small number of pricks I support a boycott. After all, it's not as if they have said that there is anything wrong with forcing a woman to have an abortion, just a late term abortion (and it's only wrong if you get caught doing so it would seem).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

krudler wrote: »
    indeed, this country has an appalling human rights history, people in glass houses n all that

What.. so just because our own history isn't perfect, we shouldn't have the right to criticise other countries for what's happening today?

This is the tip of the iceberg. Poorer Chinese people and the working classes are treated like sub-humans by their government.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭conorhal

krudler wrote: »
    indeed, this country has an appalling human rights history, people in glass houses n all that

In their glass house you'd dissapear simply for posting that. Get a grip :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I don't understand why people are calling for trade links with China to be cancelled, considering China have regulations against this practise put in place 11 years ago, copied from the article quoted in the OP:

"The government did not pinpoint exactly who the perpetrators were, but vowed to avoid a repeat of such a case, which it said was against regulations in effect since 2001 banning late-term abortions."

While the people involved were acting as officials, they were not acting according to their regulations. You can't blame the rest of China because of a small number of pricks.
    That's the official line D, but late term abortions are very common especially in the hinterlands. It's been widely reported before. I read a good book (whose name sadly escapes) by a chap who traveled the country from east to west(and in the last few years too). He lived in China for years, spoke the language etc. He loves the country and the people and it comes across in his book, but he's equally not afraid to note the abuses and cultural oddness. One encounter he had was on a bus in countryside well away from the main cities where he met some district nurses who were quite open about the practice of terminating very late stage pregnancies. Saw it as their civic duty and it was clear it was sanctioned at least in that area. They were quite clear about it, until his obvious "WTF? :eek:" questions made them more reticent about the whole thing.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Last Friday my friend gave birth to a little boy who is doing very well.
    She was 7 months pregnant.

It's so hard to believe such a barbaric act could be forced upon a person :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Fucking communist savage bastards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Damokc

I read about this yesterday. It's sickening, absolutely sickening. I cannot believe our country is happy to do business with China, with this hub they are planning on in Athlone.

Don't worry, that will never happen anyway.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

This would be one of the dangers I could foresee if abortion was legalized in this country and the elite in Brussels or where ever copied China and ushered in similar blanket population control measures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

It goes without saying that almost everyone here agrees that this is a disgusting barbaric practice.

On a wider note, I agree with the poster who recently posted that "The Chinese are rapidly becoming the scourge of the planet"

What with interference and financial colonialism in Africa, along with buying everything else in the world and lending money to western governments, the future doesn't auger well for the rest of us non-Chinese.

There are 1.3 billion of 'em and rising, they're going to need more natural resources and "living space" which if IIRC was the Nazi's 'reason' for invading surrounding countries. The current mining/housing boom in Austrailia is largely driven by Chinese demand for natural resources where they own two of the three largest mining corporations, controlling huge landbanks.

Thank fcuk we're on the other side of the world, - we might escape a little longer.

Any country that manufactures execution vans to make the process easier is dodgy in my book!

China executes more people every year than the rest of the world combined. 'Black jails' exist all over the country to detain people that have tried to speak out against or complain to the government. People are beaten and starved until they agree to stop making waves.

It's a hell hole. If some of the stuff that happens there was happening in smaller, poorer nations; the UN et al would be hitting them with sanctions and threats of intervention.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

India will soon overtake them in population. No one seems so worried about them. There can be more than a touch of the "Oh God it's the yellow peril" on subjects and threads like this. Yes this example is fcuked up. A number of things things are fcuked up in their culture, however that's a very bloody small part of their culture.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

It goes without saying that this indeed is Barbaric.

However, I 100% concur with the whole need for population control.

I think they are being responsible for checking their population growth and furthermore I think this is a serious matter that ALL countries including our own should be looking at.

In 1841 Ireland's population was a mere: 8,175,124. :eek:

Chinasea wrote: »
    It goes without saying that this indeed is Barbaric.

However, I 100% concur with the whole need for population control.

I think they are being responsible for checking their population control and furthermore I think this is a serious matter that ALL countries including our own should be looking at.

In 1841 Ireland's population was a mere: 8,175,124. :eek:

Population control is a vile notion, regardless of the need for such a thing. Punishing people for being people is just inherently wrong. Education is the only sane way to deal with the issue of over-population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

China executes more people every year than the rest of the world combined.

Yeah but that's not overly surprising when you consider how huge it's population is compared to other countries. Afaik Singapore and Iran both have higher execution rates rate per capita than China, although the most recent statistics I can find on Google are from 2008.
    It's a hell hole.

It has an oppressive regime for sure but it's far from a hellhole for many of it's people. Somewhere like Somalia would be closer to a hellhole.
    This would be one of the dangers I could foresee if abortion was legalized in this country and the elite in Brussels or where ever copied China and ushered in similar blanket population control measures.

*facepalm* Yeah, 'cause overpopulation is a serious concern in the EU, isn't it?. Damn those super-fertile Germans, popping out kids like gumball machines.
    Any key? wrote: »
    Lived in China for a while,they are under a scary strict regime not surprised reading this to be honest.Coldest nation I've ever come across.

How many nations have you come across? Lived in China for four months and found the people in general to be very friendly and welcoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

eth0 wrote: »
    Fucking communist savage bastards
    Careful now.
    careful_now.jpg&w=110&h=178&ei=8n3bT_b_LM2ChQf_l4iJCg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=429&vpy=209&dur=87&hovh=142&hovw=88&tx=89&ty=51&sig=105270623432247558097&page=1&tbnh=129&tbnw=80&start=0&ndsp=11&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:0,i:92

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

This was no doubt only due to the international media attention that this has got.

"China apologises to pregnant woman forced to have abortion at seven months for breaching one-child policy and suspends three officials"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2159178/Feng-Jianmei-China-apologises-forced-abortion-child-policy-breach.html

Advertisement