Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forced Abortion, China.

Options
  • 15-06-2012 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/china-probes-forced-abortion-case-amid-uproar-060412699.html?nc

Chinese authorities confirmed Thursday that a woman was forced to abort seven months into her pregnancy, several days after her plight came to light when images of her baby's corpse were posted online.
    Rights groups have blamed authorities in north China's Shaanxi province for forcing Feng Jianmei to abort her pregnancy because she failed to pay a hefty fine for exceeding China's strict "one-child" population control policy.
    The Shaanxi provincial government said in a statement that a preliminary probe had confirmed the case was "basically true", and the investigators have recommended action be taken against the perpetrators.
    "This is a serious violation of the National Population and Family Planning Commission's policies, jeopardises the population control work and has caused uneasiness in society," the provincial government said on its website.
    The government did not pinpoint exactly who the perpetrators were, but vowed to avoid a repeat of such a case, which it said was against regulations in effect since 2001 banning late-term abortions.
    Chinese web users have reacted in anger to the abortion, with one comparing it to acts perpetrated by "Japanese devils and Nazis", after photos online showed Feng lying on a hospital bed next to the blood-smeared body of her baby.
    A relative told AFP on Wednesday that Feng and her husband had opposed the termination.
    An official at the national family planning commission who declined to be named said earlier that the commission viewed the matter as "serious and important" and that the probe was being handled at the "top level".
    China has implemented its draconian family planning policy since the late 1970s in an effort to control a population that has grown to 1.3 billion people, the world's largest.
    Under the policy, urban families are generally allowed to have one child, while rural families can give birth to two children if the first is a girl. They have to pay a fine if they contravene the rules.
    Rights groups say that as a result of the policy, thousands of women have been forced by authorities to terminate their pregnancies.
    Blind activist Chen Guangcheng, who recently left China for the United States after fleeing house arrest, was once jailed after angering local officials for bringing to light hundreds of forced abortions.
    Official statistics show that since the start of the policy, the number of abortions peaked in 1983, with a total of 14.37 million terminations that year.
    The US said Monday it has expressed opposition to China's one-child policy after activists reported that a five-month-pregnant woman faces an imminent forced abortion in a separate case.
    "We make no secret that the United States strongly oppose all aspects of China's coercive birth limitation policies, including forced abortion and sterilisation, and we always raise these issues with the Chinese government," State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said.

Makes you wonder are we any better nowadays than we were in the Dark Ages, makes me weep.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

that's awful

they could take a portion of income for the fine if they were that insistent :(:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

They should have voted No to Lisbon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I read about this yesterday. It's sickening, absolutely sickening. I cannot believe our country is happy to do business with China, with this hub they are planning on in Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

I read about this yesterday. It's sickening, absolutely sickening. I cannot believe our country is happy to do business with China, with this hub they are planning on in Athlone.

I know, that child could have survived outside the womb at that stage, and it was wanted. What a sick world we live in, and sick country, so legally as a nation we're pro-life . . . unless you have money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

curlzy wrote: »
    Chinese web users have reacted in anger to the abortion, with one comparing it to acts perpetrated by "Japanese devils and Nazis", after photos online showed Feng lying on a hospital bed next to the blood-smeared body of her baby.

wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

xsiborg wrote: »
    wtf?

People posted photos online, to highlight the issue I'm assuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭slarkin123

This is the most disturbing thing I've read in a long long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

This left-over sweet and sour chicken doesn't taste so good now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

There has also been cases of this reported in Cuba, using the drug Rivanol for late-stage abortions. The child dies outside of the womb. It's pretty horrific.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

Sergeant wrote: »
    There has also been cases of this reported in Cuba, using the drug Rivanol for late-stage abortions. The child dies outside of the womb. It's pretty horrific.

There have been reported cases in China of full term children going straight from the birth canal, head first into a bucket of water.

We shoud immediately abort any business relationship we have with China, starting with that Athlone farce, and send the message that we don't do business with sociopathic states.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

China is a black-hole for human rights. That is a fact.

I had heard about the photos online about the aborted baby. Sometimes its images like this that can spark a people into action.

The human-rights activist who has now found asylum in the USA was speaking up on this very topic. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-05-19/chinese-human-rights-activist-chen-lands-at-newark-airport.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

conorhal wrote: »
    We shoud immediately abort any business relationship we have with China, starting with that Athlone farce, and send the message that we don't do business with sociopathic states.

You really think that could or would happen on the back of something that happens every day in that country. Enda (and anybody who ended up in power) is only too happy to kiss Chinese ass if it helps to get us out of our bit of trouble. There wasn't much of a murmur when he was wining and dining that Chinese chap a few months back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

There have been reported cases in China of full term children going from straight the birth canal, head first into a bucket of water.

Unfortunetly this type of thing has not been restricted to China http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intact_dilation_and_extraction
    We shoud immediately abort any business relationship we have with China

Well that's the €64,000 question - do you shimmy them along, gradually with subtle pressure to change or kick them out of the family of nations until they stop such abuses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

A great bunch of abortionists.

You really think that could or would happen on the back of something that happens every day in that country. Enda (and anybody who ended up in power) is only too happy to kiss Chinese ass if it helps to get us out of our bit of trouble. There wasn't much of a murmur when he was wining and dining that Chinese chap a few months back.

Your average consumer has more power then Enda Kenny. Just stop buying Chinese. It's hard to do I know, but not impossible, I started with checking the origin of the garlic I buy and stick to spanish garlic (the chinese stuff is tasteless muck anyway) and went from there. If it says 'manufactured in China', I put it back. And don't be afraid to say why your putting it back either.
    Remember those brave Dunnes workers back in the 80's that refused to handle South African goods? Small pebbles can cause an avalanche....

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Any key?

Lived in China for a while,they are under a scary strict regime not surprised reading this to be honest.Coldest nation I've ever come across.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I saw the thread title and though the chinese had changed the name of one of their cities to that. Wouldn't like to holiday there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

they are really sick bastards to abort at 7 months,what a trauma,that is completely wrong..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

just seen the pic... wtf !! how could the mother basically pose for it jesus..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

curlzy wrote: »
    People posted photos online, to highlight the issue I'm assuming.

yes but to use a woman's tragedy in such a fashion as to have her pose in the bed and lay her aborted foetus beside her, that's just as fúcked up right there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Sounds like something the Japanese did during Nanking Massacre. awful!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Some of these calls for ceasing trade with China are over-the-top and would would primarily impact those Chinese (i.e. about a billion or so) who don't create Government policy.

I'd also ask: Would you have advised all other countries to cease trade with Ireland when we had the Magdalene laundries and all our other dark secrets too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Obviously I dont agree with the baby being terminated at 7 months.
    But if you already have 1 child, and you know that there is a 1 child policy and that there can be horrible consequences if you break the policy, then why would you get pregnant for a second time? Fair enough it could have been an accident, but even then surely you would find the money for the fine somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Your average consumer has more power then Enda Kenny. Just stop buying Chinese.

What? And cancel Christmas?

barone wrote: »

If it's the fact that the photo exists that you find upsetting rather then what was done to that woman, then I suggest that your priorities regarding that which offends you are WAY out of whack....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

barone wrote: »

Because she wants the world to know, so it doesn't happen to anyone else.

Very brave of her.

Giselle wrote: »
    Because she wants the world to know, so it doesn't happen to anyone else.

Very brave of her.

Especially considering what's likely to happen to her, people have 'disappeared' for less in China. As a state they really don't care for national embarrasment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I don't understand why people are calling for trade links with China to be cancelled, considering China have regulations against this practise put in place 11 years ago, copied from the article quoted in the OP:

"The government did not pinpoint exactly who the perpetrators were, but vowed to avoid a repeat of such a case, which it said was against regulations in effect since 2001 banning late-term abortions."

While the people involved were acting as officials, they were not acting according to their regulations. You can't blame the rest of China because of a small number of pricks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

ixoy wrote: »
    Some of these calls for ceasing trade with China are over-the-top and would would primarily impact those Chinese (i.e. about a billion or so) who don't create Government policy.

I'd also ask: Would you have advised all other countries to cease trade with Ireland when we had the Magdalene laundries and all our other dark secrets too?

indeed, this country has an appalling human rights history, people in glass houses n all that

Advertisement