Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Schools Rugby 2012-2013 [Provincial Schools Thread Link in Post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Bohemian Hooligan

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Yeah I see Dardis just pipped him for FB in the team of the round.

wouldn't look into the team of the round too much, playing coulson from michaels in hooker when he is a prop

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Leinster5

Michaels are light all over the park except for Coulson.

Roscrea pack would give them a serious doing.
    That Nure pack wasn't small.

The Rock Road & Aylesbury road contingent here would want to take a reality check - the culchies are coming
    How are 'Michaels light all over the park ? Kelleher, Ryan, Molony, Murphy are all huge players. Then you have players like Allen, Green and Cregan who rely on skill and speed. Just look at Leavy last year, wasn't the biggest, but used his pace to beat players. Still think it's a 50/50 between Rock and Michaels. Roscrea's backline isn't good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭CGD

Good game today Clongowes didn't capitalise on first half dominance when Michaels were not at their best. Michaels 2nd half performance was very impressive and if they play like that would be hard to back against them. Coulson, Moloney,Byrne and Kelleher impressed. Kelleher overplays it a bit and tries to dance early instead of putting the head down and powering on. Very impressed with Clongowes 9 Maher himself and Rock at the top 9's for me.

All teams will want Newbridge as they are just a little bit off the other 3 in terms of Quality. No one wants Roscrea as their pack is excellent and best left in the competition but their backs are worst left in competition. All depends on the draw but would have Michaels as slight favourites over Rock but would love to see Roscrea win the cup just a they never ave won it and have come close so often.

Think script is written for Micaels v Roscrea final

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Lobby Con Shine

Clongowes have a tradition that before the game they walk across the halfway line

You're not the All Blacks.

Keep your masonic lodge antics within the walls of CWC.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,350 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Just want to bring up something Michaels did before the game yesterday, Clongowes have a tradition that before the game they walk across the halfway line, and during this yesterday, St Michaels walked right through it, discraceful stuff, if England did this against Ireland there would be uproar about it, Michaels Headmaster Mr Kelleher should really teach his students respect and not just winning a rugby match
    On a neutral pitch all is fair, it's like teams facing off the haka

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Bohemian Hooligan

Just want to bring up something Michaels did before the game yesterday, Clongowes have a tradition that before the game they walk across the halfway line, and during this yesterday, St Michaels walked right through it, discraceful stuff, if England did this against Ireland there would be uproar about it, Michaels Headmaster Mr Kelleher should really teach his students respect and not just winning a rugby match

think this was unbelievable as both crowds really got up for it after! But its hardly a tradition, unless you say michaels have a tradition of walking across the field.. both teams finished at the same time and michaels made a ballsy move which pulled off for them

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

You're not the All Blacks.

Keep your masonic lodge antics within the walls of CWC.

No need, keep the discussion civil please.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Player14

I can see where you are coming from, however it's complete bs and Clongowes fans are just picking on this incident due to the loss. 'Michaels and Clongowes were going back to the changing rooms at the same time. You could not have expected 'Michaels to wait for Clongowes to fo that line walk when ready for the big game.

.ak wrote: »
    No need, keep the discussion civil please.

legitimate comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

How would they have clashed?Don't they have different changing rooms at oppossing ends of the ground?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭easy peasy

legitimate comment.

No it wasn't, traditions are traditions. The fact that they're aren't the all blacks has zero relevance

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭lurtz

funtime93 wrote: »
    How would they have clashed?Don't they have different changing rooms at oppossing ends of the ground?

they both warm up on the back pitch and before the game when theyre walking in clongowes walk onto the pitch and down the 22 and around in front of their crowd and back into the bective end

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Oldboy 92

Player14 wrote: »
    I can see where you are coming from, however it's complete bs and Clongowes fans are just picking on this incident due to the loss. 'Michaels and Clongowes were going back to the changing rooms at the same time. You could not have expected 'Michaels to wait for Clongowes to fo that line walk when ready for the big game.

Thought the respectful thing would be to avoid the clongowes line completly. It was clearly intended as they were talking about it at the gate where I was standing. Don't think talking about it should take away from a superb game, that clearly in the end the better team came out on top. Good luck to st michaels in the semi's, as a neutral I think they may just shade it over the remaining sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭TheTalk

I dont know how anyone can condone michaels behaviour before the match, quite frankly walking through clongowes is just a poor attitude towards the game that shows no sportsmanship

easy peasy wrote: »
    No it wasn't, traditions are traditions. The fact that they're aren't the all blacks has zero relevance

Traditions are all very well as long as they don't impinge on the opposition.

It reminds me of the time the Mayo football team warmed up in front of Hill 16. The Dubs have a tradition of warming up there but as it was a neutral venue (AI Semi Final), Mayo were quite entitled to warm up whereever they liked. The Dubs warm up there to stoke up the atmosphere in front of their most vociferous supporters in order to gain an advantage. Mayo are entitled to stop them gaining that advantage.

I'm going off point here but, in my view, the same should be done for the Haka. Opposition teams should refuse to acknowledge it. People will say that it's disrespectful, but the whole purpose of the Haka is to gain an advantage for the All Blacks (as if they needed it). David Campese had the right idea at Lansdowne back in 1991.

The CWC tradition is presumably done to stoke up their supporters. Michaels are entitled to do likewise.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭gfitz95

If anything clongowes were in the wrong as they were the ones who walked out tho the 22 in the way of Michaels.You can hardly expect Michaels to stand there waiting for them to finish this "tradition" of theirs.And i completely agree with Bridge93,these days Rock v Michaels is as big as it gets and i know for a fact that both teams will be wanting to face eachother in the final.Bigger crowd,better standard,better atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭CGD

Thought it was a good move by Molony and his players! Both teams left the training ground Clongowes left first and turned and walked along 22, Michaels left the training ground and stayed together and went through Clongowes line. Much a do a bout nothing and it is a Clongowes tradiion not anyone's else's. Clongowes maybe should have held off till Michaels left training ground and then done their March. I wouldn't be in any way critical of Michaels! I wouldn't say it was planned and if anything Clongowes should have planned it a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Leinster5

People need to stop moaning about this pre-match incident. It was harmless and made both teams even more pumped up for the game. The game itself(for the most part) was fantastic and was played at a very high intensity. Looking forward to the draw tonight. Obviously the main 3 teams will be hoping for Newbridge, who I imagine are just delighted to be in the semi-finals.

TheTalk wrote: »
    I dont know how anyone can condone michaels behaviour before the match, quite frankly walking through clongowes is just a poor attitude towards the game that shows no sportsmanship

Complete bs right there. As Michaels left the training pitch, Clongowes were on the touchline and only turned onto the 22 just as Michaels were on the five. If Michaels had waited on the 5 for Clongowes to walk along the 22 it would have been very strange.

Michaels can say what they want, but at the end of the day leinster coaches have complete bias over them and clongowes will destroy them next year.
    I'd also have Cian O'donague on the ireland team ahead of Adam leavy ALL DAY LONG

• Advertisement

Michaels can say what they want, but at the end of the day leinster coaches have complete bias over them and clongowes will destroy them next year.
    I'd also have Cian O'donague on the ireland team ahead of Adam leavy ALL DAY LONG

You have just changed the subject completely because you are wrong and you know it! Also, i couldn't care less what you think about those two individual players. You are obviously bitter because of the game yesterday and it has been acknowledged by the Leinster selection that Leavy is better.
    Why do you see them 'destroying' Michaels next year? Enlighten us all

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Liveforrugby

Leinster5 wrote: »
    People need to stop moaning about this pre-match incident. It was harmless and made both teams even more pumped up for the game. The game itself(for the most part) was fantastic and was played at a very high intensity. Looking forward to the draw tonight. Obviously the main 3 teams will be hoping for Newbridge, who I imagine are just delighted to be in the semi-finals.

Newbridge are better than people give them credit for, they have 2 of the strongest props in the competition even if they may be a little overweight. Ed is 6 foot 4 143kg and has a bench of 195kg thats stronger than ANY player currently on the irish side. cian healy can bench 135, this 18 year old puts him to shame

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

I don't think there is any need to question the integrity of the Leinster selectors. They have the interest of Leinster to the forefront and have consistently shown willingness to select anyone from any school.
    In the past there may have been preferential treatment as the Leinster underage coach would have come from one of this hooks. Not the case anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Newbridge are better than people give them credit for, they have 2 of the strongest props in the competition even if they may be a little overweight. Ed is 6 foot 4 143kg and has a bench of 195kg thats stronger than ANY player currently on the irish side. cian healy can bench 135, this 18 year old puts him to shame

Good thing they are playing a rugby match so not a weightlifting contest....

Agree though, teams being harsh on newbridge. They beat Roscrea in the league at the start of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Very little about rugby involves lying on your back & pressing a weight up though.

As for putting Healy to Shame - the bench press has always been a penis measuring exercise with very little carry over to the game.
    Once a guy can bench 1.25 x his own BW - further increases in bench will mean little to no improvement on the pitch - ie where it actually matters

Okay 'player14' I will 'enlighten' you. In the Jct 2011 clongowes lost to favourites rock by a point. Now they have conor Gleeson and even more fergal cleary to add to the ranks. Michaels have an overrated leavy who is not as good as o'donague because he should've started last year, scored 3 tries in 2 matches. He started in the final and by a margin of 14 months was the youngest on the 15. Quick powerful finishes well. Ireland's loss for this year FIRA IMO.

But anyway michaels will win the cup, best team left in competition

Ive seen ed wynne and aside the fact he doesnt start I highly doubt he does 195kg,Id imagine Healy also puts away a hell of a lot more that 135kg. That said,all totally irrelevant drivel

But anyway michaels will win the cup, best team left in competition

what puts them ahead of rock and ccr in your eyes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭The Pheasant

They've gotten to the semi final but that's about where it ends if you ask me. I know pre season isn't the be all and end all but it acts as a decent guide and I remember Blackrock put at least 40 points onto Newbridge if not more

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement