Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard Sci-Fi novel

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

dogmax wrote: »
    First of all Eggy Baby congratulation on your determination you know where you're going with this story, sometime when I'm having a problem with something I'm writing I leave it alone for a while and then come back to it as the reader, not the writer, take a break it will come good in the end. ;)

Thanks a lot! I'm taking a brief hiatus as I try to determine how the book will start.

One question- what is everyone's opinion on sci-fi text prologues? It could save me a lot of time on exposition if I did so, just wanted to know your opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭dogmax

You certainly don't do thing by half Eggy Baby --- (sci-fi text prologues) -- your words are (the book celebrates discovery, adventure and space exploration) expand on that in such a way that bring the reader in -- remember Star Trek (Space the final frontier, These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise, Its five-year mission, to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before) get me in everytime -- (exposition) you got alien nations coming together with humans, OK not them all but those who do, (reason) to learn, which suites humans, (reason) we might need them to survive or should I say to win this damn war, and as for alien, vice versa -- and trying to get the reader to understand the alien culture, I understand them and I haven't even read your book yet, (reason) if there is alien life out there you can be guaranteed that they would have a similar history to our own, and that the first reason why we would understand each other -- and as for heroes or main characters you can have more than one, just make them interesting, it doesn't matter what side they're on, just make them interesting -- now Eggy Baby, go kick some alien arse, because you got all the answers right in front of you, looking forward to it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

I just love sci-fi based on discovery and stuff- I recently got into Star Trek TNG and am loving it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭dogmax

ya like star trek thought the last movie capture the characters from the original series brilliant one thing i like about it is they all had there own sense of humour

Advertisement