Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Spanish HL...Before/After**

Options
  • 12-06-2012 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

What are you preparing for the opinion piece?
    Just vocabulary or do you have any topical predictions ?

Also, if you're do the 'la adventura de Saíd' instead of the journalistic text, do you have any advice regarding chapter that haven't come up?

For the note, dialogue and letter what are you preparing ?
    Which of the above do you think is easiest ?

I'm find the synonyms extremely difficult, do you have any tips for this part of the comprehensions?

Does anyone have revision site notes they could link ?

MY HELP:

Teachers have advised revision of sport ie: the importance of sport in all our lives, as the comprehension could be based on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭SellingJuan

Well... For the opinion and the letter do they dock you marks for writting 2 much... LIke I wrote the 150 in the mocks I ended up with only 83%... I dont know how I lost marks in both the letter and opinion.. what do you lose them for.. Also I find the synonyms hard aswell :) Cono con el examine y su puta madre

• Registered Users Posts: 35 17Dan21

I will be preparing the economy, sports (EURO 2012 and Olympics), drug abuse, violence, alcoholism. Probably a couple more topics when I think of them.

Definitely doing the letter!

For the synonyms I just look for the words with similar endings or guess the ones that appear most likely if I don't know it.

No sorry, don't use sites for it.

Need a strong B if not an A!

The mock paper I did was incredibly tough. I don't think Tuesdays exam will be as bad.

Like the synonyms are sooo ****ing annoying... The language they use isnt used in everyday spanish...

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭EDmon

Well... For the opinion and the letter do they dock you marks for writting 2 much... LIke I wrote the 150 in the mocks I ended up with only 83%... I dont know how I lost marks in both the letter and opinion.. what do you lose them for.. Also I find the synonyms hard aswell :) Cono con el examine y su puta madre

Yes I think you can end up loosing marks for writing too much, simply because you're more likely to make mistakes. But they cannot dock marks if you Spanish is correct!
    Did you ask your techer?
    Also, how many pages is 150 words?

17Dan21 wrote: »
    I will be preparing the economy, sports (EURO 2012 and Olympics), drug abuse, violence, alcoholism. Probably a couple more topics when I think of them.

Definitely doing the letter!

Need a strong B if not an A!

Why are you choosing to do the letter? Is it just so that you can prepare the opening and closings?

Are you going to prepare any general topics for your letter?

Also, how long does it have to be page wise ?

Thanks!

• Advertisement

EDmon wrote: »
    Why are you choosing to do the letter? Is it just so that you can prepare the opening and closings?

Are you going to prepare any general topics for your letter?

Also, how long does it have to be page wise ?

Thanks!

I have a sheet that has subjunctive that can be used in every letter I've done so far. When they see you using those phrases they'll be more inclined to give you marks. I'd give probably two sentences for each point to get the full marks. Probably wouldn't be much more than a page.

17Dan21 wrote: »
    I have a sheet that has subjunctive that can be used in every letter I've done so far. When they see you using those phrases they'll be more inclined to give you marks. I'd give probably two sentences for each point to get the full marks. Probably wouldn't be much more than a page.

Thanks a million, I'd really appreciate that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

For the opinion I am going to cover problems with drugs and alcohol,climate change an one or two more topics :) I am aiming for a B2+ so I will have some phrases prepared for the day to boost my answers!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭rosualt

My teacher is sure something on sport will come up for the opinion because according to her it never has before... She's been right for the last few years so I trust her!

As regards length of essays, I always write an a4 page, so definitely well over 150 words. I doubt they'd actually dock mark for it being too long, it's just you're more likely to make mistakes the more you write!

Really hoping for an a1 in this :)

Yes I think you can end up loosing marks for writing too much, simply because you're more likely to make mistakes. But they cannot dock marks if you Spanish is correct!
    Did you ask your techer?
    Also, how many pages is 150 words?

I dont have one you see..... Iv had to learn it myself !!

• Advertisement

For the opinion piece in the mocks were you write between 85-150 I wrote about 100 and was told it was too short in the examiners report. Will aim for 150 this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Flabangav

Yeah, my teacher said that it really needs to be close to 150 words, 85 is nowhere near enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Defygravity

I'm so worried about the opinion pieces. It's so stupid the way half of the marks go for content like! All I have are essays on mobiles, healthy eating, smoking, alcohol and pollution :/

rosualt wrote: »
    My teacher is sure something on sport will come up for the opinion because according to her it never has before... She's been right for the last few years so I trust her!

As regards length of essays, I always write an a4 page, so definitely well over 150 words. I doubt they'd actually dock mark for it being too long, it's just you're more likely to make mistakes the more you write!

Really hoping for an a1 in this :)

What are you doing for the letter or dialogue ?
    Are you going to make your decision as to which one you'll do before the exam?

I'm so worried about the opinion pieces. It's so stupid the way half of the marks go for content like! All I have are essays on mobiles, healthy eating, smoking, alcohol and pollution :/

That's loads, I'd say throw in sport as a topic and you'll be set!

What are you doing for the letter or dialogue ?
    Are you going to make your decision as to which one you'll do before the exam?

I usually do the letter, I find the translation often requires really specific vocab whereas the letter gives you a bit more scope so its easier to get marks! And of course, the opening and closings are nearly always the same, which is nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭waiting4

hey i really struggle with spanish does anyone have any generic phrases to use for the opinion piece? ones that you can use for pretty much any topics (maybe ones with subjunctive) like " i think the government should play a more active roll in finding a solution"....
    etc?

Anyone else find the listenings for Spanish really nice? :D I did one today and got all of it right! Hoping I do good in that and the comprehensions.Could get an A if I do well in them :) Hopefully!

^^I take it you do French too? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Anyone have any tips for getting an A in Spanish?

• Advertisement

_Bella_ wrote: »
    Anyone have any tips for getting an A in Spanish?

Knowing phrases and vocab for the themes will go a long way..Also practicing listenings and comprehensions.I would maybe instead of doing dialogue construction if it isnt the nicest do the letter option instead! Also for the 50 marks essay I think the marks are allocated at half and half for content and grammar. I am going to try and go for an A in Spanish but it could be hard :/

waiting4 wrote: »
    hey i really struggle with spanish does anyone have any generic phrases to use for the opinion piece? ones that you can use for pretty much any topics (maybe ones with subjunctive) like " i think the government should play a more active roll in finding a solution"....
    etc?

Here are a few;

Spanish English
    Creo que i think that
    Me parece que It appears to me that
    En mi opinion in my opinion
    tengo la impresión de que I get the impression that
    No soporto I can't bear
    No aguanto I can't stand
    Lo bueno es que The good thing is that
    Lo malo es que the bad thing is that
    Lo que más me gusta es que What i like most is that
    lo que menos me gusta es que what i like least is that
    lo mejor es que the best thing is that
    lo peor es que the worst thing is that

David1994 wrote: »
    Anyone else find the listenings for Spanish really nice? :D I did one today and got all of it right! Hoping I do good in that and the comprehensions.Could get an A if I do well in them :) Hopefully!

What would you recommend to do in preparing for synonyms, or techniques.
    Thats the one part of comprehensions that really brings my grade down..

For synonyms the only technique that works if you don't know the word is to look at the ending of it; to see if its a noun, singular or plural; a verb, first person, third person...;an adjective, maculine or feminine etc. Then find a word in the paragraph that's the same grammatically. Check if you would be able to replace the word you've found in the text with the synonym and still have it make sense when read- if so, you're onto a winner!

Anyone doing the novel 'la adventura de Saíd' Q ?
    Do you know what chapters have yet to actually be asked in the comprehension?
    Any thoughts on what the Q could be like ?

Also, I find it so much harder when the comprehension sect. B is on the back of all the Qs so you have to keep turning the page to actually find the answers... Is it possible to ask for another exam paper so you can just have the comprehension and Qs together?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Shannen94

Is anyone learning anything about sport ? Maybe for the opinion or comprehension ?

Shannen94 wrote: »
    Is anyone learning anything about sport ? Maybe for the opinion or comprehension ?

Yes, sport has been tipped, possible the importance of sport in all our lives, (could link to obesity) or sport and its links to the drug world?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 clio94

Shannen94 wrote: »

Yeah I have an essay prepared on the benefit of sport in our lives, basic essay really, would be delighted if it came up!

Along the lines of it reduces stress especially for students as a break, the facilities in my town, how good it is for out health, meeting new people etc. I also have a tiny amount done on drugs in sport - probably irrelevant though ?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Mani09

Does anyone have any sample essays for the opinion piece for sport??? My teacher thinks it will come up because of the euros and olympics.... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Mani09

Anyone please?

Advertisement