Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Law-Hedges to be 2 meters max height.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I do see what you mean, but if there is no problem from a tree or hedge then I cant see anyone doing anything about it even if it brakes any future 2 meter rule or right to light rules. So I wouldnt worry there. I really think that this is about boundry hedge issues (like in the uk) and not the general urban tree landscape.

However in the uk there is an arboricultural tree officer in each council to manage the urban trees and tree complaints and tree protection orders, no such luck here. I understand here in mayo that trees are under the arcitecture section with someone who may have a horticulture cert??? :rolleyes::(
    (which explains why the boiling gets cut off the bottom of pesky trees with a chainsaw (allowing serious undermining of the strength of the trees and large avenues of decay to open up at the base of the trees adjacent to public paths) rather than the wayward shoots being trimmed off, serious liability issue there (actually seen it being done).

I live in the countryside and am adjacent to 1 other dwelling to the north with my hedge (allbeit alder/ash mix) between us. I control the hedge and always ask my neighbours' permission to trim his side and also always ask for his opinion on the height and any light issues he may have and impress upon him that I do not want to take away his light.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Shinny22

Hi, I'm a newbie here but was reading the posts regarding trees as my neighbour is complaining about mine! I admit they are rather large but I can't afford to get them cut as I am on disability and live alone.
    But... this neighbour has been cutting them down to about 4ft near her house for the last 7 years and I havent said a word to her. The trees (about 150 of them) go all around my property at the front and side. If they are bothering her (she says they are making her wall damp and green) doesnt she have the right to cut them on her side? Also, has this 2m high law come in? I have been threatened with her 'going to the environment about this'. Any ideas? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,070 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Strictly speaking she is only allowed to cut off branches that hang over onto her property, then she is supposed to give you the branches back :D. She should not just cut down the height from her side, as that would bring her onto your side of the boundary.

However you sound as though you are sympathetic to the trees being lowered, just that you can't afford to do it. If she has sorted the problem to her satisfaction and it isn't a problem for you, why not just leave it, everybody's happy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

It seems that this law would only apply to Leylandii hedges.
    Very often these are a serious nuisance to neighbours, and the owner can't be bothered doing anything, because they are at the very end of his garden and it would cost money to trim them.
    I see it as a small but useful law. Not a waste of Shatter's time at all. That's what the legislature is supposed to be there for. Not holding clinics to sort out peoples medical card application forms.

Thanks guys. Do you know what 'the environment' will do about this or will they just say its a neighbour dispute?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Shinny22 wrote: »
    Thanks guys. Do you know what 'the environment' will do about this or will they just say its a neighbour dispute?

There are mediation officers that will take on a case and try to settle favourably with the 2 neighbours who are in the dispute.

ok thanks. keep your fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

recedite wrote: »
    It seems that this law would only apply to Leylandii hedges..

Where did you get this information?, has this been passed as law yet?

I'll rephrase that to "leylandii type hedges." The point is, it would not mean an end to every individual tree or shrub that is taller than 2 metres.

From;
    Oldtree wrote: »
    Mr Broughan raised the issue of leylandii hedges, which tend to sprawl rapidly and block light to adjoining properties.
    While other jurisdictions have introduced rules forcing homeowners to control the plants, no such legislation exists in Ireland.
    Mr Broughan wants to see a two-metre height restriction
    The "other jurisdictions" which we normally copy our laws from (a few years later) are of course in the UK;
    "Part VIII ("High Hedges") is in response to concerns about hedges, typically of Leyland Cypress plants, which can grow to 6 metres or more in height, sometimes cutting out light for neighbours. Such hedges are not controlled by town planning legislation (which normally limits the height of fences to 2 metres), and so there was formerly no way of preventing people from allowing such a hedge to grow. This part of the Act gives local authorities the power to investigate complaints made by people affected by such hedges, and, if necessary, to require their reduction"
    (from wiki)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Slick50 wrote: »
    Where did you get this information?, has this been passed as law yet?

There is no law yet,its just a proposal at the moment.

Sure they will be more worried with trying to force everyone to pay the 100 euro Household Charge now,then passing this hedge law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I think here that a hedge will have to be defined as to how much light is blocked by a "block" of plants or else the new law will have to be all encompassing ie that no border plants can be allowed to grow over 2m without agreement from the neighbour, of course a new neighbour could disagree..... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Hi,

I did a search around and didn't see any updates on this issue. A neighbor's tree in the back garden is 6 to 8 meters high and we're wondering if they may have to trim it at some stage, it's blocks a lot of light from our house ;o(

Does anyone know if the is any legislation coming in to enforce a max tree height?

Cheers,
    Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Hi,

I did a search around and didn't see any updates on this issue. A neighbor's tree in the back garden is 6 to 8 meters high and we're wondering if they may have to trim it at some stage, it's blocks a lot of light from our house ;o(

Does anyone know if the is any legislation coming in to enforce a max tree height?

Cheers,
    Al.

Having lived in a house previously where back garden got no light I 1000% agree with the proposed 2M max height - enough to give more than ample privacy but not high enough to punish your neighbours into a realm of dark night in the otherwise sunny afternoons.....

The guy who was pushing this " proposed new law", Tommy Broughan TD has moved on to a new hobbyhorse now; the NCT car tests and various complaints concerning them.
    Minister Shatter has been far too busy arguing with Ming and Mick about which of them has benefited the most so far from claiming diplomatic immunity at Garda checkpoints.
    And very shortly they will all go off on their holidays for a few months.
    So I think we may forget about this hedge thing altogether, at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Were leylandii banned on new developments? in tipperary and have planted since last year but local garden centre told me they are banned, i could find nothing on my planing that indicated that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Should certainly be banned on taste grounds but I'd be surprised if they were actually banned unless it's a local planning condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭runjb

So nothing ever came of this law?

Post edited by runjb on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭macraignil

On planning permission we got here in north county Cork about ten years back it stipulated that Leylandii and Griselinia were not to be planted as part of the landscaping around the house that we built. They are still for sale in the nearest garden centre and not sure who would enforce the directions on the planning permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Cheers, i actually couldn't find it on my planning. I took them up anyway and planted laurel hedging 2 weeks ago. Will look nicer in the long run and should give me privacy too.

Advertisement