Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Physics...Before/After**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭HyperSkypeWiper

What did people get for the acceleration on 12a??

I got....123.44 ms^-2, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 MD11

What did people get for the acceleration on 12a??

I got....123.44 ms^-2, I think.

Got that aswell. For the positron annhialation question I said they would not annhilate as they were not a particle/anti-particle pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Tankosaur

iLaura wrote: »
    Nope; we got our examiner to ask the principle to ring the SEC, it was a misprint about doing the graph on the paper, so the 15 marks are going for finding the acc. I redrew it out too, if it's any consolidation :P

Wait it was a misprint? So were you supposed to draw that graph out yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Tankosaur

kaet wrote: »
    Yes! looked about right too I thought.
    Anyone know a definite answer for the last part "Why will two positrons not annihilate?" or something? Is it to do with charge not being conserved..?

Annihilation only occure between a particle and its anti particle. SImple as that really.

MD11 wrote: »
    Got that aswell. For the positron annhialation question I said they would not annhilate as they were not a particle/anti-particle pair.

Thanks!

Oh and I know it was discussed a lot back a few pages, but did anyone get roughly 90 m s^-1 for the average velocity question in Q6?
    I did... 31000-5000-(distance travelled in first 13 seconds)= d
    Then I divided that by 276 and got 90-ish!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 MD11

Thanks!

Oh and I know it was discussed a lot back a few pages, but did anyone get roughly 90 m s^-1 for the average velocity question in Q6?
    I did... 31000-5000-(distance travelled in first 13 seconds)= d
    Then I divided that by 276 and got 90-ish!?

Yes. Got those aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭RedTexan

Would a metal sphere on the end of a spring count as an example of SHM?

RedTexan wrote: »
    Would a metal sphere on the end of a spring count as an example of SHM?

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭kilianmanning

Did ordinary, was easy. Didn't want to chance the higher paper for the fear of failing. What was the higher paper like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Yep

I said 'spring (as long as its elastic limit is not exceeded)'. Would I get at least 4 marks for that?

• Advertisement

For the use of the diffraction grating for X rays what did people say? I said that it would have a very short wavelength and thus wouldn't be suitable as the value of the angle would be negligible for such a tiny wavelength?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭jos360

I said having eyes and my teacher laughed at me :D

Dogs have eyes,
    dogs are colorblind,
    dogs can't see rainbows...

(Universe rips appart)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭BL1993

For the use of the diffraction grating for X rays what did people say? I said that it would have a very short wavelength and thus wouldn't be suitable as the value of the angle would be negligible for such a tiny wavelength?
    I said it depended on the width of the gap. If the width of the gap was approx equal to or less than the wavelength of the x-ray, then it would. If not, then it wouldnt diffract.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭MauraTheThird

jos360 wrote: »
    Dogs have eyes,
    dogs are colorblind,
    dogs can't see rainbows...

(Universe rips appart)

I did write a proper answer also. I was tired at that stage and was being a gimp because of the odd questions :p

I did write a proper answer also. I was tired at that stage and was being a gimp because of the odd questions :p

Ha my friend just told me his 3rd answer was 'being lucky' :P

• Registered Users Posts: 30 insua

I'd say I got a b maybe an a2 if I'm really lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭SellingJuan

HeaneyBabe wrote: »
    That was so easy. Definitely got the A1.

Haha of course it was. I mean every higher level subject in the leaving cert is. Like did you even go to school? You are soo cool and intelligent I mean you are my idol. Praise the genius....

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭sdiff

So what was the correct method for the mass of the deutirium and the other thing? I used the table of nuclides but I'm not sure if that includes electrons. "Nuclides" sounds like the nucleus? I don't think it could be obtained by counting the protons and neutrons - there were he same amount on both sides afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

Tankosaur wrote: »
    Wait it was a misprint? So were you supposed to draw that graph out yourself?

According to my teacher; no. But to be on the safe side I did. I mean for how to obtain the values and stuff in the experiments, I drew pictures, wrote out the complete method, results and conclusions. I ALWAYS leave something out, so hopefully not this time ^_^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Tankosaur wrote: »
    Annihilation only occure between a particle and its anti particle. SImple as that really.

I said that too. Don't think I'll be counting that question though, it seems to be my worst one. Thank god I did the resistance question in the last 15 minutes, I was debating whether or not to do it.

I think an extra question is the way to go whenever possible. I always seem to realise I've made a balls of one question after the exam. :L

finality wrote: »
    I said that too. Don't think I'll be counting that question though, it seems to be my worst one. Thank god I did the resistance question in the last 15 minutes, I was debating whether or not to do it.

I think an extra question is the way to go whenever possible. I always seem to realise I've made a balls of one question after the exam. :L

I talked about the principle of conservation of charge, forgot about that. Hope I get the marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 nmd64

I had done 4 questions and needed to find anther between 6, 7 and 9, and I made a balls of 6 so I did 7, realized I also couldn't answer the last part and ended up doing 9 aswell, which turned out to be easy :P I don't know why I didnt pick it in the first place, I'm not great at picking the questions, luckily I'm quite fast at them...apart from 5 which could be dodgy I had 3 strong questions and the resistance one so I think I might be close to an A with this paper.

Really curious to see the marking scheme, I think I'm worried I'll have correct answers that are inaccurate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

sdiff wrote: »
    I talked about the principle of conservation of charge, forgot about that. Hope I get the marks.

I'm not even sure what they're looking for in that question. I pretty much guessed to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭ei.sderob

I hate that feeling of doubt you get when you come on this site after an exam. Was soooo confident of an A1 earlier now I think I might JUST have scraped it like!

What were the angles in the refraction question at the end, I got something like 48 and 41 and the speed equal to 2x10^8

What were the angles in the refraction question at the end, I got something like 48 and 41 and the speed equal to 2x10^8

Same. Though it seemed to be quite ambiguous when it said "parallel to the side". Parallel to which side? But yes I just used the critical angle formula.

sdiff wrote: »
    Same. Though it seemed to be quite ambiguous when it said "parallel to the side". Parallel to which side? But yes I just used the critical angle formula.
    We are wrong, I am an idiot

Eh? Why?

• Advertisement

Eh? Why?

Edit, oh crap. It should be 90-those values, right?

Thankfully I did 3 for q12...

Advertisement