Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

loosing interest in photography forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

jpb1974 wrote: »
    So... one person might tell me I'm a photographer and another might tell me I am not :confused:

correct, its not defined imo. so (not questioning your ability whatsoever, not directed at you), your grandmother or your mate from the pub could look at your work and say 'wow your a great photographer, those effects from your phone make the dog look cool'. go to a photography club, and you may get a different response.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Well TBH this conversation will go in circles forever, its merely my opinion, not fact

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

And in the context of this thread or this forum in general... what is the context or relevance that you are getting at?

That people we perceive to be lesser photographers, or not at all, can get under real photographers skin?

But real photographers aren't real photographers at all, depending on who you ask... and they get under the real, real photographers skin.

But real, real photographers aren't real, real photographers at all, depending on who you ask... and they get under the real, real, real photographers skin.

And so on, to infinity...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

A blogger but not a writer?

I run for the bus, I'm late. I'm not a runner.

I make my living from taking photos but I'm not a photographer.

I don't think people are too precious about the the word Photographer. It's just that it is as broad as it is vague in meaning.

• Advertisement

And in the context of this thread or this forum in general... what is the context or relevance that you are getting at?

That people we perceive to be lesser photographers, or not at all, can get under real photographers skin?

But real photographers aren't real photographers at all, depending on who you ask... and they get under the real, real photographers skin.

But real, real photographers aren't real, real photographers at all, depending on who you ask... and they get under the real, real, real photographers skin.

And so on, to infinity...

I guess my point is, that having a camera, and the action of taking a photo does not make you a photographer(again IMO). Theres alot more to it.

humberklog wrote: »

I don't think people are too precious about the the word Photographer. It's just that it is as broad as it is vague in meaning.

thats the issue, i guess in depends on your level, how you value the meaning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I really fail to see how a discussion about who is and who isn't a photographer is of any value to the forum. In fact it probably makes amateurs not want to post over fear of being ridiculed.

I guess my point is, that having a camera, and the action of taking a photo does not make you a photographer(again IMO). Theres alot more to it.

Just so I understand -

In the context of this forum, these people can irritate the real/proper/legit* photographers who hang out here?

* who may not be real/proper/legit photographers depending on who you ask - based on your definition.

Just so I understand -

In the context of this forum, these people can irritate the real/proper/legit* photographers who hang out here?

* who may not be real/proper/legit photographers depending on who you ask - based on your definition.

not at all, I started posting here in 2005 and didnt know my arse from my elbow photographically, and the forum helped me so much I couldn't even begin to explain, the people who posted here were all extremely helpful, shared gear, took me on trips, went through my work with a fine tooth comb and argued with me til the cows came home over the smallest details, and i thank every one of them for it.

Just because you're learning would never be a reason to ridicule, quite the opposite, its great to have new people here looking for advice and sharing work for tips.

But I have found these days, people rarely accept any critisim, I would be told ' yeah mele, they are useless (lists off in bullet form the reasons), I would sometimes ask for clarification on why, take on board and come back til it was to the standard of my peers, and thats how it would be. now its a huge arguement of 'elitism' and 'your stuck in film age' rubbish.

• Advertisement

smash wrote: »
    I really fail to see how a discussion about who is and who isn't a photographer is of any value to the forum. In fact it probably makes amateurs not want to post over fear of being ridiculed.

i dont think anyone here would ridicule a amateur, everyone was an amateur, and the forum is extremely helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I read something on the cycling forum a few weeks ago, people were talking about how others shouldn't wear the spotted jerseys that you earn from winning a stage in a competition, how you haven't yet deserved it. I suppose this is the same thing, people who have already either earned this title of photographer, are a little bit upset that someone can just swan in, hand over some cash and get the same exact title as them.

I have a camera, I take photographs, but I'm not a photographer, I'm just someone who enjoys taking photographs, if anything because of all the post production I do I'm more of a graphic artist who captures all of their own imagery(I hope any graphic artists don't get offended!), and if I'm honest, I would much rather stay being just someone who enjoys taking photographs because then everybody stays happy

I don't think anyone saying that not everyone is a photographer is attacking someone on this forum, I think it's more for the people who upload an album on facebook called "Photography" and there's a picture of a tree... and a dog... and the ground.. all in black and white or maybe some sepia. Those people annoy me, not because they're claiming to be photographers, but because they're idiots.

Man... I ain't try to be rude and I ain't trying to have an arguement with you... but I'm not even sure I know what you're trying to say.

I just don't get where you're going with the "you're not a photographer thing" and your last post has sorta just taken a turn in a different direction.

Sorry :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Grand exit - seeya next month.

Man... I ain't try to be rude and I ain't trying to have an arguement with you... but I'm not even sure I know what you're trying to say.

I just don't get where you're going with the "you're not a photographer thing" and your last post has sorta just taken a turn in a different direction.

Sorry :o

the discussion was about your view that a photographer is anyone with a camera, I disagreed, and explained my point, there is also the wider debate of the decline( or change) the forum has taken.

The discussion was actually about your view -
    Alot think, once they have a camera, they are automatically a photographer, sadly this is not true

And I didn't disagree... I asked you to explain.

I then asked why did it matter, in the context of this forum, and you started to talk about people taking C+C the wrong way and the like.

So... in a nutshell... I don't get what you're trying to say :o

The discussion was actually about your view -

And I didn't disagree... I asked you to explain.

I then asked why did it matter, in the context of this forum, and you started to talk about people taking C+C the wrong way and the like.

So... in a nutshell... I don't get what you're trying to say :o

Very well. Perphaps I'm not being clear as I would like. I guess I'm talking about two things at once and I'm not making sense and this is really going anywhere. I am also sounding like a bit of a prick reading back through them, stuck in my old ways and that, I perhaps should stay out of this discussion for now

I perhaps should stay out of this discussion for now

Chill man... we don't want you heading into the cave with PCPhoto as well ;)

My honest opinion, without writing an essay on it, is that people are probably entitled to call themselves whatever they want. Whether we agree with them or not, for the most part, is probably irrelevant.

Forums are all about individuals and to be successful I think you need to get people posting. In terms of the social aspect I'd put more value on great personalities (where great doesn't necessarily equate to a nice person) rather than photographers of the good/great/cool/knowledgeable (whatever it might be) variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

• Registered Users Posts: 13,581 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Photography is an open democratic medium , so yes everybody with a camera who takes photographs is a photographer - the catch is , for me any way, is to be creative - You have to be more than good, whatever good photography is

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I miss this forum a lot... I used to post in it all the time, chat, have a laugh, meet new people etc

It's changed so much, and every time I start a thread it's moved to a sub forum, or the off topic thread :(

I cannot tell you how excited I am to go back to Charlville next week :)

I'm gonna give this one more try and try introduce my 'fun photography' I used to post here back in the day...

Watch this space :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

thebaz wrote: »
    Photography is an open democratic medium , so yes everybody with a camera who takes photographs is a photographer - the catch is , for me any way, is to be creative - You have to be more than good, whatever good photography is

But a photo is still a photo, someone took it so therefore they are the photographer. I wouldn't mix up the word 'photographer' with 'photography as an art form'. And even at that, art is subjective.

Anyone can be a photographer, few can be artists.

Tallon wrote: »
    I'm gonna give this one more try and try introduce my 'fun photography' I used to post here back in the day...

VIVA LA DANBO

• Registered Users Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭dinneenp

So... one person might tell me I'm a photographer and another might tell me I am not :confused:

One person might say you're ugly, another might say you're not.

I can play 40 musical instruments. 38 of them I can only get a noise out of them but it's still playing.....

I'm an amateur photographer, you're a professional or amateur photographer.

Perception is reality so be whatever you want to be. Be all you can be. Just be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Tallon wrote: »

shoule always have some fun and mess about

[IMG][/img]7182992547_5da8366a65.jpg

7198219476_a7e22e1fc9.jpg
    photo.JPG by Photoblog.ie (Patrick Dinneen), on Flickr

Perception is reality

So I am a proper bolox after all :(

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Any advice?
    Piss off and create another thread :pac:

=-=

PCPhoto; just lurk. It's more fun than actively participating. Also branch out and lurk in other related forums. I find your posts on legal aspects of photography interesting. 99% of the time you don't just say X is the fact, but say X is the fact, and here's the backstory, making it a lot easier to understand.
    CabanSail wrote: »
    Where can I buy or download these? :D
    There's a link that shows how I'll never let you down, but I'm not allowed to post it on any forum. PM me for the link.
    You're a photographer when you only shoot one or two areas, and you enter competitions and/or get certified in your chosen field :pac:

Personally, I take photos. I call it a hobby. I have again started to feck around when taking photos. Sure why not.

=-=

So, who started the derailment of this thread?

just lurk. It's more fun than actively participating

When you consider that the original post talked of the decline of the forum this is a real gem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

the_syco wrote: »

PCPhoto; just lurk. It's more fun than actively participating.
    I want to disagree with you so much, but sadly, at the moment, this is the case :(

An it shouldn't be!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

When you consider that the original post talked of the decline of the forum this is a real gem.
    Start a thread. Get thread derailed. Get great informative advice. Abuse the person who gave you the advice. Months later, take advice, find it's useful, come back to the forum, and wonder why the person who gave you the great advice no longer posts.

A lurker will most often post again, in time. Someone who closes their account usually doesn't ever come back, thus why I advise people to lurk; many great posters have gone already.

Advertisement