Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking for reliability and cheapness to run so any suggestions ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Charade is a good choice. Better than a micro or Yaris on petrol too. dacha tsi have pulled out of Europe but are owned by Toyota so parts should continue to be available.
    Fuppin auto correct !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

The Charade didn't work out in the end. The one I saw from DoneDeal seemed to have been involved in a crash which wasn't explained at all in the advert :/
    Engine was great though so it was a shame. Still looking for suggestions in the 1 Litre tax band category :)

I will investigate some Suzuki models such as Swift and Wagon. Any opinions about those ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Jammy Donut

Just get a 1.25 Zetec Fiesta :)

Pick one up for in or around €1k, Comfy, Nippy and easy to service yourself etc... :)

Just get a 1.25 Zetec Fiesta :)

Pick one up for in or around €1k, Comfy, Nippy and easy to service yourself etc... :)

I like a lot however I want to spend 185 Euro per annum in road tax on a 1 Litre engine.

Road tax is not only hard for me to afford but it also just doesn't appeal to me as an unfair double triple tax on the cost of motoring /rant :P. On the bangernomics scale I think the difference in road tax over the life of the banger amounts to a health % of the price of a replacement banger.

I did test drive a zetec in good condition (specifically a Fiesta Ghia). It had a crack in it's back bumper but it hadn't been crashed, just tipped. And also had a lot of scratches in the body but otherwise in great condition inside, inside the engine and structurally. I have no idea how much it would cost to replace a bumper and do a respray. I know enough to fill minor holes or scratches and sand them flush and prepare the vehicle for respraying which seems kind of expensive too.

I can bring my budget up to 2,500 Grand now. But I'd prefer to keep it under 2 . It all depends on how much driving I can get for my bucks. if I can get 3 or 4 or even 5 years out of something like a reliable ? Nisssan Micra ??? Then I would be very happy.

Am I not alone in hating the style of the post 2003 Micras ? They don't look like mini cars any longer. Maybe a 2003 Micra would suit me ? Would I need more than 2.5 k for one of those ?

• Advertisement

Well the quest is over. I have a 1 Litre 2001 Micra ''Vibe'' in immaculate condition and low mileage 66k with a full service history and barely any scratches on it. The original seats etc have no wear on them.
    In fact any scratches are hard to see. No crash etc. NCT until end of 2013. I've been driving around half the city for the last few days. I am really enjoying it. So case closed unless anyone has any warnings about any potential problems I should beware of or prepare for with the old Nissan Micras :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Well the quest is over. I have a 1 Litre 2001 Micra ''Vibe'' in immaculate condition and low mileage 66k with a full service history and barely any scratches on it. The original seats etc have no wear on them.
    In fact any scratches are hard to see. No crash etc. NCT until end of 2013. I've been driving around half the city for the last few days. I am really enjoying it. So case closed unless anyone has any warnings about any potential problems I should beware of or prepare for with the old Nissan Micras :)

Apart from all the inpatient/experienced/superstitious drivers trying to overtake you at every opportunity, you should be ok.
    They are very reliable cars, but have some (bad) reputation...

wonski wrote: »
    Apart from all the inpatient/experienced/superstitious drivers trying to overtake you at every opportunity, you should be ok.
    They are very reliable cars, but have some (bad) reputation...

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/nissan/micra/hatchback-1993/21466/

The stats looked pretty good to me here. 47 MPG (on paper but will find out for myself) but still feels like I'm sitting in a larger car. The chunky wing mirrors are great and create a whole lot of visibility from the driver seat. Compared to the Daihatsu or Seicento it feels a bit safer if I was involved in a collision. Whats the bad reputation they have ? I've only ever heard good things about them. In fact now that I have one I notice them all over our roads and seem to pass one every few minutes on my travels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I think vibe is the old model which is more reliable than the new one IMO. I think that would be my choice also.

Be aware though if you drive fast and accelerate hard especially with a small engine its going to effect fuel econcomy. Driving smoothly, at a constant speed and as little braking as possible is the way to use less fuel.

Don't discount the bike though. Once you have water proof pannier everythign stays dry. Leave a change bag in work, then theres no problem getting wet yourself. The more you cycle the less fuel you'll save for weekend trips.

BostonB wrote: »
    I think vibe is the old model which is more reliable than the new one IMO. I think that would be my choice also.

Yes it seems to be the very last model before they radically changed it in 2003. I was looking for a 2002 Micra but my 2001 was so perfect that I couldn't refuse it.

Be aware though if you drive fast and accelerate hard especially with a small engine its going to effect fuel econcomy. Driving smoothly, at a constant speed and as little braking as possible is the way to use less fuel.

I try to use the brakes as little as possible by judging the momentum energy release into the car and comparing it to obstacles ahead but it seems to me that in this country the lights go red with nobody around for no reason with no pedestrians etc at empty cross roads and everyone brakes. Then in between they drive up your tailpipe even though the red light ahead means it won't get them to their destination any faster. The traffic light system here often seems nuts. In my opinion anyway.

Don't discount the bike though. Once you have water proof pannier everythign stays dry. Leave a change bag in work, then theres no problem getting wet yourself. The more you cycle the less fuel you'll save for weekend trips.

Bikes are cool pieces of engineering. I love them. What irritates a lot of people however is when a cultish attitude prevails, that it's either bikes or cars but not both. Now with a car I can take my bike to new locations and cycle around a lot more sights without getting bored. And when the weather is nice ( 2 days per year ? :D;):pac:) and I don't have too many bags to carry I will cycle to work etc :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

Car on which i was working on last year - nissan micra, '97 , with 1 l. engine.... sold to one friend, last week she passed nct, goin to sell in a month or two for 450, if interested, let me know. he didnt advertise yet.

...And when the weather is nice ( 2 days per year ? :D;):pac:) and I don't have too many bags to carry I will cycle to work etc :)

Its rare that even on a rainy day that it rains all day. I find you can go between showers quite easily. Also my perception of the weather is always worse when I'm driving than when I'm cycling.

I bring up cycling, because while I drive more than I cycle. I find I notice the saving in fuel if I manage to get some cycling to work in. If you are looking at it from a budgeting POV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Media999

Mate of mine is in a situation like yourself. Works with a farmer and needs a banger. Partner has a good car.

Hes had a few of the cars mentioned here. He swears by the Micra. Thats defo what id recommend.

edit - wrote this before even reading last replies. Micra seems to be a good choice. Buy one that a granny or woman has had the last few years and youll be good to go id say.

edit again. I see you actually bought a micra. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

Media999 wrote: »
    Mate of mine is in a situation like yourself. Works with a farmer and needs a banger. Partner has a good car.

Hes had a few of the cars mentioned here. He swears by the Micra. Thats defo what id recommend.

edit - wrote this before even reading last replies. Micra seems to be a good choice. Buy one that a granny or woman has had the last few years and youll be good to go id say.

....... just make sure you have enough cash for clutch/gearbox replacing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Its rare that even on a rainy day that it rains all day. I find you can go between showers quite easily. Also my perception of the weather is always worse when I'm driving than when I'm cycling.
    That is very true. And we have no extreme weather in this country. Some rain here and there shouldn't stop anyone from cycling, imo.
    I bring up cycling, because while I drive more than I cycle. I find I notice the saving in fuel if I manage to get some cycling to work in. If you are looking at it from a budgeting POV.
    Yeah, at least you save some money on fuel. However, I find that I eat quite a lot more when I cycle and the bike components cost me more that the annual service bill for a small car, i.e. I reckon I spend around €500 on servicing my bicycle per year (that is not including any clothing and other equipment). But this year so far all of my commuting was done on the bicycle (covered over 10k km so far this year on the bike). The only few days I drove to work was for company purposes, i.e. a meeting in other part of the country, etc.

Regarding a cheap car, I would recommend a Honda Civic 1.5 pre-2001 model. This is a very reliable, cheap to buy, very economical (47.5mpg is my total average) and cheap to insure and to tax car. In comparison to the Nissan Micra it is also a lot quicker (over 100hp), it cruises a lot nicer on a motorway (long gears) and it handles a lot better. The main problem is to find a good example, but it can be done with some patience.

Most people won't spend anything like that on a bicycle.

Most people won't spend anything like that on a bicycle.
    Bad for them :).

Seweryn wrote: »
    I reckon I spend around €500 on servicing my bicycle per year (that is not including any clothing and other equipment). But this year so far all of my commuting was done on the bicycle (covered over 10k km so far this year on the bike).

I'd never buy a brand new bicycle in the same way I would never buy a brand new car. Unless you're in the Stephen Roche league , covering 10k km must be an awful lot slower than driving a small car. I can see the health benefits and financial savings (on cheaper bikes than yours) but it sounds very time consuming. I used to exercise a lot but I found I get bored. I need to read etc.

Unless you're in the Stephen Roche league , covering 10k km must be an awful lot slower than driving a small car.
    True. But if you cycle most of that distance in a city, it would take you actually less than in a car.
    No, I am not in any league and I was never into any sport and in fact I only started cycling on daily basis last October and I reckon the mileage covered took me not much more than twice as long as if I covered all of it in a car, which would be quite boring in comparison, tbh. Yes, it is an awful lot slower if you take a motorway in a car, but on local roads and in the town, the difference is small.
    I'd never buy a brand new bicycle in the same way I would never buy a brand new car.
    No one suggested a brand new (or expensive) vehicle, but every machine requires proper care and maintenance, especially if it covers the mileage. If people are not willing to spend money on service, the vehicle won't last and will only give trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Id be curious as to what you spent the 500 on.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Id be curious as to what you spent the 500 on.
    2-3 sets of tyres, 2-3 chains, 2 sets of brake pads, 2 sets of BB bearings, a replacement tube once, lubricants, small bits and bobs. Service parts and wear and tear in general.

2-3 sets of tyres, 2-3 chains, 2 sets of brake pads, 2 sets of BB bearings, a replacement tube once, lubricants, small bits and bobs. Service parts and wear and tear in general.

well you just destroyed the notion that cycling is cheap. The oil companies will have you in their prayers :D;)

well you just destroyed the notion that cycling is cheap. The oil companies will have you in their prayers :D;)
    :pac:

Well, it is not as bad... If you do the same annual mileage in an economical car (say 45-50mpg), it will still cost you a lot more, i.e. the cost of fuel alone comes to around €1,500. Then you have to add the cost of tax, insurance, service, NCT, parking, tolls, depreciation (if applicable), etc.
    This is only talking about the financial side of things :P.

:pac:

Well, it is not as bad... If you do the same annual mileage in an economical car (say 45-50mpg), it will still cost you a lot more

That kind of mileage also increases the chances of the bicycle falling under the wheels of a truck regardless of which party was at fault and in a bicycle theres no protection. A proper analysis of potential costs should factor in the cost of this happening too. Loss of earnings, cost of recovery, personal cost etc.

.................. A proper analysis of potential costs should factor in the cost of this happening too. Loss of earnings, cost of recovery, personal cost etc.

Are you for real?
    If so you should factor in the financial side of the potential health benefits all the exercise offers, if you were intent on doing a proper analysis of course ;)

... Unless you're in the Stephen Roche league , covering 10k km must be an awful lot slower than driving a small car. I can see the health benefits and financial savings (on cheaper bikes than yours) but it sounds very time consuming. I used to exercise a lot but I found I get bored. I need to read etc....

Depends on the route. I'm not anyway fit, and my 14k commute across town is about the same in the car as the bike. Assuming I get a clear run in the car on average the car might be about 10 mins faster. Sometimes slower if heavy traffic. I decided to do it exactly because it takes the time I usually waste sitting in the car.

... A proper analysis of potential costs should factor in the cost of this happening too. Loss of earnings, cost of recovery, personal cost etc.

Go do that. cycling vs inactivity. Theres no contest.

Advertisement