Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How we run tournaments

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Junsuina Chikara

chunkis wrote: »
    For every major tournament that takes place in europe we should have irish players in attendence, we should organise a qualifying tournament so that we can send our best players to compete and give ireland a presence at every tournament in europe. The more players we send abroad the more exposure our scene will get.

We need to network between other scenes and see what they do better than us, copy it and make it better.

Our site is a joke, nobody uses it. Its a waste of time and needs to be redesigned and reworked into something people will actually use.

We should have a national tournament that will be recognised around the world as being a major tournament on the european scene, we want to create events that people will travel for, if we do things right we have the chance to create one of the best tournaments europe has ever seen.

A bit harsh on the Irish scene there chunkis. I think the TOs have done a good job on organising Inferno and other tournaments and the supporting members running the website, streaming etc.. I think it's very understandable that Namco contacted Gamestop rather than us. There isn't a Tekken scene in Ireland, at least on boards. There are only a handful of Tekken players. That is why Tekken is always a side tournament and never a main tournament. The most popular FG in Ireland is Tekken, that is certain but there aren't anywhere near enough serious Tekken players as there is SF players, even if SF is a smaller demographic compared to Tekken, there are more serious Irish SF players than there appears to be Tekken. For SF, the Irish FG scene have been offered seeded places to three SF games in the Capcom 25th Anniversary tournament. If we weren't recognised, we wouldn't have gotten those seeded places to an official Capcom tournament.

Instead of blabbering on about what the situation is like currently, I can offer some insight into how the scene can be improved. Quite simply, I think the TOs need to post on different game forums. At least, that way, you're aiming at a larger audience and possibly can boost the Irish scene itself since there can be more Irish players lurking around other forums rather than boards.ie. For example, I found an Irish MK9 player on MKO who also had a group of 7 or 8 friends who play MK9 in Tipperary but I've never seen him on boards but right there, you could possibly add +8 to an MK9 tournament if they knew about these tournaments.

I, for one, am a forum member of VFDC, Tekken Zaibatsu, MKO so I've covered three different gaming scenes already. Granted, I don't post about Irish tournaments on those forums because I'm quite disconnected from the Irish scene and have only ran 1 tournament so I can't post about something I don't know much about. If the word was spread around by the TOs on those forums, more Irish players may be able to attend and may also bring over talent from overseas as well.

At the end of all this chunkis, if you're passionate about getting an Irish scene going, then by all means, contribute. If you know people at Namco, Capcom etc. get them to know us and exchange contact details. That way, we can at least be on the map with the game companies themselves. I don't think its that hard because, back in the days of SFIV, XGC had no problem getting promo copies from Capcom when they were running their SFIV tournaments.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

OK, I've moved posts on the discussion on commentary and the Tekken thing here. Both are worthy of discussion I feel.

I may chime in later on both topics. Without the bold!

Advertisement