Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stocking Wood, Rathfarnham, Dublin 16

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Would be cool if Greenacres / Nova was still open and you'd have a venue just across the road.

Brendan Boyer would be flat out doing a residency! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭blackrovers

Ah there's already a bit of history attached to the place! That's got to add value to the area!! But seriously Big Nasty you don't seem in favour of this estate how come?!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Ah there's already a bit of history attached to the place! That's got to add value to the area!! But seriously Big Nasty you don't seem in favour of this estate how come?!

Ah no, I don't mind it at all. One of the best parts of Dublin to live in IMO. ;)

Ah grand so Nasty, thought you didn't like the area!

You can buy a 4 bed house in Templeogue for that money. An area with actual amenities. And houses that actually have gardens. Are you nuts?

Cuddlesworth where you finding these houses for that price? Seriously tip me when the next one comes on the market for that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 sarah wright

We were looking for over a year at the 3 and 4 beds in templeogue, rathfarnham, terenure, Kimmage, Knocklyon, Dundrum etc. and finally chose one of these 5 beds in preference. I agree they are stunning and the solar panels and A3 BER also appealed. I've friends living in the area and know the area well. I am looking forward to moving in when they are built. At over 1800 sq feet there will be plenty of space for all our stuff without having to build on, which we would have had to do if we'd bought any of the second hand houses we've looked at and bidded on (and been outbid for) in the last year. Call us saps if you wish. Yes, they are expensive, but we still prefer space and a commute to anything else we've looked at for the same or more nearer town.

Sarah do you not think that the parking space for the houses are misleading, that you can only really fit one car? Plus heard the builder is a tight fecker, you won't get any consessions from them like extra sockets, shaver lights etc. Have you experienced this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

If you feel bad about spending €450k or whatever on the house, take solace in the fact that there's people in the older part of the estate that paid over €600k a few years ago for houses that aren't nearly as nice.

I live close by and love it. Great place to live

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Plus is it me or are people really negative about these houses and there price?!

So why are so many people shooting these houses down?!

Please maybe there's something I'm not seeing!

Location - they are no more rathfarnham than they are tallaght.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Location - they are no more rathfarnham than they are tallaght.

Whilst a fair distance from Rathfarnham village, Rathfarnham has always extended out that direction and includes the likes of Cruagh and Rockbrook.

• Advertisement

Prospect Manors address is Rathfarnham, Dublin 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Synode wrote: »
    If you feel bad about spending €450k or whatever on the house, take solace in the fact that there's people in the older part of the estate that paid over €600k a few years ago for houses that aren't nearly as nice.

I live close by and love it. Great place to live
    There are people living in two-bed apartments 300m away from these houses who paid €450k for their apartment less than ten years ago.

These houses are nice and very spacious, after seeing them the only thing which turns me off is having no front garden and a relatively tiny back garden. In the driveways, you will fit two cars - a large family car and a small hatchback, your typical family setup. If you drive two VW Touregs, you'll be out of luck. There's also a risk that you'll have an asshole neighbour or two who consistently park their vehicles in awkward places on the road just because it suits them.

The problem with the location is not so much anything to do with the postcode and more to do with amenities. It feels like it's quite a distance from anything. That said, there is a Lidl and a Spar each within a 10 minute walk. Though it looks longer when you drive it, and to reach the Spar quickly you have to take a shortcut through some hedges.
    The closest pubs are a 30 minute walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Rory365

seamus wrote: »
    There are people living in two-bed apartments 300m away from these houses who paid €450k for their apartment less than ten years ago.

These houses are nice and very spacious, after seeing them the only thing which turns me off is having no front garden and a relatively tiny back garden. In the driveways, you will fit two cars - a large family car and a small hatchback, your typical family setup. If you drive two VW Touregs, you'll be out of luck. There's also a risk that you'll have an asshole neighbour or two who consistently park their vehicles in awkward places on the road just because it suits them.

The problem with the location is not so much anything to do with the postcode and more to do with amenities. It feels like it's quite a distance from anything. That said, there is a Lidl and a Spar each within a 10 minute walk. Though it looks longer when you drive it, and to reach the Spar quickly you have to take a shortcut through some hedges.
    The closest pubs are a 30 minute walk away.

You can definitely fit two cars in the driveway alright. I actually made sure of that fact by bringing my Dad up to try it out with both our cars.

Amenities etc will come in time, and they'll build more houses in the accompanying lands and the area will fill out. I really like the estate those houses are in anyway.

What do others think?

Lovely area and lovely houses

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sarah wright

Hi Blackrovers, yes I agree that the builder is very inflexible. What you see is what you get and any extras will have to be added later. Mind you, with all the second hand houses we looked at that was the situation anyway, it just seems a shame that they won't add sockets from the get-go before you have to start interfering with walls and floors after they are built and painted. You're right, the parking space is tight. We tried it and the first car has to be right up at the front door and the second one almost comes out on the path, but they did fit just about. Also, the kitchen contractor doesn't even have a land line and won't return calls to the mobile number Sherry Fitz/Knight Frank supplied, so that would definitely make you wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Rory365

Hi Blackrovers, yes I agree that the builder is very inflexible. What you see is what you get and any extras will have to be added later. Mind you, with all the second hand houses we looked at that was the situation anyway, it just seems a shame that they won't add sockets from the get-go before you have to start interfering with walls and floors after they are built and painted. You're right, the parking space is tight. We tried it and the first car has to be right up at the front door and the second one almost comes out on the path, but they did fit just about. Also, the kitchen contractor doesn't even have a land line and won't return calls to the mobile number Sherry Fitz/Knight Frank supplied, so that would definitely make you wonder.

Hi Sarah

We have just put a booking deposit for a cancellation on one of the houses. Have you any tips you could share in terms of dealing with the builder/contractors? Or is it all slightly pointless and you just have to accept it? They haven't yet put the kitchen in ours and/or painted the house but I'd like to get in front of this as much as I can before they start finishing it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Blaze

These houses are really something else - very spacious, really well laid out and the appear to a layman be very well built. They look really nice from the outside also. The estate they are in also seems nice and quiet, and has a nice green.

We are waiting to hear back from the agents as we have put our names down on the cancellation list but looking at the amount of people who are still viewing the show house, I'm not confident of actually getting one.

The prices aren't cheap - but they aren't boom time prices either, and I can't see anyone buying on of these losing out to a great extent even if there is a bit of a "bubble" (I don't think there is - I think the market has just corrected itself -in some places probably overshot itself by 5 or 10%).

Hopefully we hear something soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Heather 123

We have been looking for a house since January and have seen many. We have been looking around Rathfarnham, Knocklyon, Templeogue, Dundrum etc. For this value (or actually most of the houses of similar or even smaller size were at least 50 -100k more expensive than these in Stocking Wood) what we found were old houses that would need a lot of work. Some of them were in lovely areas (close to amenities, close to town) with big gardens but to bring the energy rating down to even a C would have cost a lot of money (new windows, insulation etc.). And then we haven’t even taken knocking walls down, changing carpets, updating bathrooms and kitchen etc. into account.

I agree – these houses look stunning (and I am not an estate agent!! :-) ) , very spacious and brand new. The back gardens are small but we had to compromise as our funds are limited. And I don’t think it is in the middle of nowhere. There are shops within walking distance and excellent schools are a 10 minute drive away. Traffic is bad everywhere between 8 and 9 in the morning – we have been renting around different areas for many years and it was the same everywhere.

We have just paid our booking deposit on one of these houses and cannot wait to move in and live there. Considering all of our options for the money we have this is far the best we have seen.

Advertisement