Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stocking Wood, Rathfarnham, Dublin 16

Options
  • 07-06-2012 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi,

Saw this in the morning, really excited and I am already sold.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/property/2012/0607/1224317432700.html

Is this the best deal ever or a value trap?
    1) Heard that no amenities nearby have to drive 1.5 mile.
    2) Is Dublin 16, Knocklyon in middle of no-where.

All suggestions welcome.

Also to residents in there is there any resident assoc. etc.
    Thanks a mil,
    Anuj

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Knocklyon isn't in the middle of nowhere. Stocking Wood is :D

OK not really, but it is quite a big walking distance from anything of note. You're surrounded by undeveloped wasteland to the east and west, another small unfinished development to the north, and farmland, forest and hills to the south. The closest shops are about a 2km walk, the closest pubs about a 4km walk.
    The area itself is quiet and fairly bustling with people out walking and jogging, and you're served by proper well lit roads and paths with very regular bus services.

The houses are nice, €260k is quite honestly a fncking steal for what is a four-bed family home in a nice area. You'll always get people telling you that they're not worth more than €50k and you're in the middle of nowhere, but that's not accurate. You're firmly within sensible commuting distance of Dublin (30-60mins) and on a nice location on the foothills of the mountains.

The only "hidden" issues I can see are that you'll be stuck with somewhat unfinished development on your doorstep for at least 10 years, and the fact that the development is a lot smaller than originally planned, you will have management company fees that are a little more expensive. My guess would be around €1k/year for the house, €1,500 for the apartments.

For reference I live in another development 800m to the west, I can see Stocking Wood from my sitting room.

To think I nearly bought one of the two-beds for €410k :eek:. The madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Meh.
    I was looking at these on Daft this morning.
    Wrong side of M50 imo.
    Epic 15b bus journey for city centre commuters.
    Not as easy as it looks - to get onto/off the M50 in peak time traffic.

And to call it Rathfarnham?
    Let's just say that you're closer to the countless unmarked graves in Dublin Mountains than you are to Rathfarnham Village.

I admit I'd be tempted if the houses were 150-200k :o

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Man007

Have friends that live here and have viewed myself.

The houses are quite small with little or no gardens from what I remember.

I agree with the last poster that its a bit misleading to call it Rathfarnham or even Knocklyon for that matter as they are a bit away from both but thats besides the point.

They do appear a bit isolated and I have never been a fan of developments with apartments and house in the one estate I just think it screams of build whatever we can where we can and it looks crowded but thats just me.

The Prices do seem reasonable but €290k for a small 4 bed when there are propably 4 beds actually in Rathfarnham proper asking around €350-€370 I know this is a bit of a diff but I'm saying asking price here not sure if the prices quoted in the times are set prices. Plus I would guess that a lot of 3 beds are actually as as the 4 in Stocking Wood.

All in all if it was me I would look elsewhere but again it does seem an ok deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

OP its the middle of nowhere really it is, I live in Knocklyon and tbh there isnt a lot there either

the houses in stocking wood are small and clumped together and unless you have a car your destined to spend forever on the bus, even at that with a car your going to spend a lot of time looking at the inside of it

if you work in town be prepared for long long journeys and very little to do at the weekend, even a trip to the shops will be an effort

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I would also check SDCC for planning granted for social housing and a halting site in the immediate vicinity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Cool Rider

Thanks all,
    Went to view the house and really they are in middle of nowhere, cant imagine myself living there. Tiny 3 beds anyways.
    Search is on...

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Jesper

I've viewed this development yesterday. There are 25 "5" bed houses for sale. 16 are sale agreed already for between 415 and €450. The 9 remaining houses are still being constructed and will go for sale in 2 months or so.
    In wonderful agent speak I was "warned" that the price of the remaining nine is expected to be higher. But if I'm on my game and ready with my cheque book and fast I might just get in :-)
    Did seem like an nice estate and I would be interested but it is very remote. Has anyone here bought?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

450k is a lot of money. I mean, it's a 100k deposit and about 2k a month. Not sure id be happy to take on that level of debt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Pure insanity. West of the m50 nowhere near Rathfarnham.

450k? More like 300k IMO - but i bet there'll be a queue of saps willing to pay that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Are there any plans to finish off Dalraida?

I took a spin up there over the weekend and it needs a lot of tidying up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

I'd finish off Dalriada with a lump of semtex.
    It should be leveled.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Jesus, everyone back in the pool! I rented in Stocking Well Row for a while - an awful soulless place with zero amenities. Anyone thinking of paying close to half a million for a place up there is mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Is it inside or outside the m50 ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Pure insanity. West of the m50 nowhere near Rathfarnham.

450k? More like 300k IMO - but i bet there'll be a queue of saps willing to pay that

I'm sure the estate agent probably told them they were good starter homes and it's important to get on the property ladder. Where did we hear that before?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭boardie100

as above i lived up around there recently, its very quiet with no amenities within reasonable walking distance.... 450k is sheer lunacy....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    I'm sure the estate agent probably told them they were good starter homes and it's important to get on the property ladder. Where did we hear that before?

They probably also told them to expect a dedicated Luas stop,a DART service and a "host of amenities" once the development is sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Jesper wrote: »
    I've viewed this development yesterday. There are 25 "5" bed houses for sale. 16 are sale agreed already for between 415 and €450. The 9 remaining houses are still being constructed and will go for sale in 2 months or so.
    In wonderful agent speak I was "warned" that the price of the remaining nine is expected to be higher. But if I'm on my game and ready with my cheque book and fast I might just get in :-)
    Did seem like an nice estate and I would be interested but it is very remote. Has anyone here bought?

You can buy a 4 bed house in Templeogue for that money. An area with actual amenities. And houses that actually have gardens. Are you nuts?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You can buy a 4 bed house in Templeogue for that money. An area with actual amenities. And houses that actually have gardens. Are you nuts?
    You possibly can, if you have all your papers lined up and ready to go. Chances are though for a four-bed in Templeogue @ €450k you will be outbidded by at least €50k or you will need to sink €50k into it to get it up to a decent standard.

South Dublin is bubbling up massively again. As the banks' balances are recovering, they're more freely providing mortgages and at relatively low rates. Employment is improving, the economy is improving, so people are feeling more confident about taking on large debts again.
    If you look at the bank advertising and their websites, it's all geared now towards mortgage lending, whereas 3/4 years ago it was next to impossible to even find information about mortgages on the banks' websites.

Coupled with a shortage of properties in Dublin, we're basically back in 1999, exact same conditions and everything. Just watch out for the builders' incentives in the next budget to try and encourage house building and it'll be everyone back in the pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Rory365

chopper6 wrote: »
    They probably also told them to expect a dedicated Luas stop,a DART service and a "host of amenities" once the development is sold.

There are some decent plans for the area according to SDCC Local Area Plan. No LUAS, DART, though. 2 sites reserved for schools and a neighbourhood centre with shops, creche, etc. The rest will be developed further with houses and apartments, as all new developments these days seem to be.

I am looking at these at the moment and on the fence as to whether or not to buy (if we get the chance - apart from 4 not put on market yet the others are all sale agreed).

I think 450k is a lot of money - but look at the house you are getting? They are fab. 4 beds with an extra third level bedroom to make them 5 beds. Good sized back gardens and the house has a great layout. We went up to see them recently and I can honestly say they are some of the best new builds in Dublin at the moment. Certainly better laid out and much more spacious than the Belmont development in Stepaside (which is equivalent in terms of relatively undeveloped tracts of land surrounding the development, apartments, lack of transport other than bus or drive to a Luas, etc).

It's a 5 minute drive to Superquinn Knocklyon by the way - it's not in the middle of nowhere.

I understand some of the comments here though in terms of buying a house in Templeogue for 450k - sure, but then you have to factor in the cost of changing the house to what you would like, modernising, etc. It really is a tough decision.

I do note that there is traveller accommodation up there - but then there are pockets of those all over Dublin and in some very nice areas. And it's not beside that stocking wood development.

Anyway, will continue to toss and turn at night as to what we should go for....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Rory365 wrote: »
    There are some decent plans for the area according to SDCC Local Area Plan. No LUAS, DART, though. 2 sites reserved for schools and a neighbourhood centre with shops, creche, etc. The rest will be developed further with houses and apartments, as all new developments these days seem to be.

I am looking at these at the moment and on the fence as to whether or not to buy (if we get the chance - apart from 4 not put on market yet the others are all sale agreed).

I think 450k is a lot of money - but look at the house you are getting? They are fab. 4 beds with an extra third level bedroom to make them 5 beds. Good sized back gardens and the house has a great layout. We went up to see them recently and I can honestly say they are some of the best new builds in Dublin at the moment. Certainly better laid out and much more spacious than the Belmont development in Stepaside (which is equivalent in terms of relatively undeveloped tracts of land surrounding the development, apartments, lack of transport other than bus or drive to a Luas, etc).

It's a 5 minute drive to Superquinn Knocklyon by the way - it's not in the middle of nowhere.

I understand some of the comments here though in terms of buying a house in Templeogue for 450k - sure, but then you have to factor in the cost of changing the house to what you would like, modernising, etc. It really is a tough decision.

I do note that there is traveller accommodation up there - but then there are pockets of those all over Dublin and in some very nice areas. And it's not beside that stocking wood development.

Anyway, will continue to toss and turn at night as to what we should go for....

You should drive around at rush hour when schools are back to check on possible traffic congestion. I know I ended up driving through there a few years ago and it was really really bad.

I understand what you're saying about the houses themselves but IMHO that's irrelevant when the key issue is location and local amenities. Everyone is different but for 450k personally I'd rather a smaller older house in proper rathfarnham.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You should drive around at rush hour when schools are back to check on possible traffic congestion. I know I ended up driving through there a few years ago and it was really really bad.

Agreed, its at least a 30 minute round trip during rush hour to a pint of milk in Tescos. I can't get my head around how people think nearly half a million in the arsehole of nowhere is good value.

Agreed, its at least a 30 minute round trip during rush hour to a pint of milk in Tescos. I can't get my head around how people think nearly half a million in the arsehole of nowhere is good value.

It's a 30 min round trip to Tesco from Templeroan too in the middle of rush hour? And Stocking Wood has a LIDL about a 5 min drive away?

It's not the arsehole of nowhere. It's about a 2 min drive to/from Prospect and no one describes Prospect as the arsehole of nowhere.

I don't mind constructive criticism ( I don't live there - a relation of mine lives in Prospect) for places but some context please....

I understand what you're saying about the houses themselves but IMHO that's irrelevant when the key issue is location and local amenities. Everyone is different but for 450k personally I'd rather a smaller older house in proper rathfarnham.

I agree. But tbh right now for 450k you would be doing well to get anything in Rathfarnham central itself. And I appreciate location is important but you also need to be (at least somewhat) happy with the house itself.

It's a dilemma.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

1. It's about six miles from the GPO, hardly the arsehole of nowhere. Try living in some one horse town in the midlands.
    2. Value is hard too define. The facts are that you will get nothing in Rathfarnham for that figure now with the exception of former council housing. Many of these houses have been refurbished and extended but may not be to everyones taste

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

450k is a crazy amount of money for one of those houses. I live down the road from them. You would want to make sure that they are one of the ones that have been built from scratch this year and not the couple that were left half built for the last five years.

The area itself for amenities is not as bad as some are making it out to be. From Stocking Wood there is a Lidl that is 10 minutes walk away or 3 minutes in the car. There are shops 15 minutes walk away or five minutes in a car. There are two SuperValu's within 10 minute drive.

There are two bus terminus's within 3-5 minutes walk from Stocking Wood with very regular buses into town (15 & 15B).

You are right at the base of the Dublin Mountains so even after a few minutes you are into the countryside.

Traffic during rush hour onto the M50 can be a pain but like most places in Dublin if you leave a few minutes early you will miss all the grief.

Overall the area is a very nice one to live in but I would questions the price of the houses and if I had the money available I would be looking elsewhere at that price.

gandalf wrote: »
    450k is a crazy amount of money for one of those houses. I live down the road from them. You would want to make sure that they are one of the ones that have been built from scratch this year and not the couple that were left half built for the last five years.

The area itself for amenities is not as bad as some are making it out to be. From Stocking Wood there is a Lidl that is 10 minutes walk away or 3 minutes in the car. There are shops 15 minutes walk away or five minutes in a car. There are two SuperValu's within 10 minute drive.

There are two bus terminus's within 3-5 minutes walk from Stocking Wood with very regular buses into town (15 & 15B).

You are right at the base of the Dublin Mountains so even after a few minutes you are into the countryside.

Traffic during rush hour onto the M50 can be a pain but like most places in Dublin if you leave a few minutes early you will miss all the grief.

Overall the area is a very nice one to live in but I would questions the price of the houses and if I had the money available I would be looking elsewhere at that price.

They are the new ones built from scratch. Stunning inside and out by the way. Very spacious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Rory365 wrote: »
    They are the new ones built from scratch. Stunning inside and out by the way. Very spacious.

"Stunning"?

Sounds like a line from a property supplement..

chopper6 wrote: »
    "Stunning"?

Sounds like a line from a property supplement..

Tin-foil hat brigade alert*

Yeah I actually work in Sherry Fitz and am spending my Sunday night doing some overtime by posting on social websites.

I'm thinking of buying one. What word would you prefer I use? They're grand...? If they were just grand I wouldn't be thinking of buying one!

By the way did you read my other posts above? I've given a balanced view about the place - it has its drawbacks - the houses are stunning though (IMO - feel free to think they're rubbish yourself).

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

I think they are stunning too. Fell in love with the layout, doesn't seem to be badly located in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭blackrovers

Hey Guys,

I've a few questions as i'm seriously considering buying one of these new properties but would like so help, has anyone find out or know what the situation is with finishing the other developments around the area?

Plus is it me or are people really negative about these houses and there price?! You wouldn't get a property like that in the same condition in any other estate or area like Rathfarnham, Templeogue, Terenure etc. Any house you would get would be in excess of 475000 or more for a 4 bed house and would need another 50000 to 75000 to bring up to an A3 BER rating!

So why are so many people shooting these houses down?!

Please maybe there's something I'm not seeing!

Advertisement