Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sheer embarrassment of it all...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Thought that sight was quite common amongst fixed gear riders? :rolleyes:

That's only the ones in skinny jeans, and deep v-necks who can't take the hills ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭secman

One of the first times using Look clip ins and we stopped at a garage to get refill drinks, I totally over estimated the lenght of my arms and tried to lean on one of the petrol pumps.......... ended up wedged at about 45 degree angle against the pumps, and all of the lads breaking their arses laughing !!!!!!!!!

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Cycling home from college on my dads old racer. In Friday rush hour passing the CUH in Cork just where the road widens (Thankfully!), the bike split in two and I just sunk into the gap between wondering why was the ground now closer to me :)
    (Crossbar cracked at the seatpost and downtube by the headtube)
    Had to walk/wobble home wheeling the 2 bits of my bike now held together by the cables!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Moved out from the cycle lane to overtake another rider, who turned out to be going faster than I thought, or accelerated. Was so focused on ploughing ahead to complete the pass and avoid looking like an idiot I didn't notice that motor traffic ahead had come to a standstill. Next thing I knew I was heading into the back end of a c:eek:r, slamming on the brakes, foot to the ground, as my would-have-been-overtakee and :cool:thers streamed past on the left. Managed to dissipate most of my momentum before knocking gently into the bumper, without any damage. Sh:oepishly returned to the cycle lane and apol:ogised profusely as I passed the st:eek:rtled driver who enquired earnestly if I was OK.
    fat bloke wrote: »
    First time in cleats. Drumcondra road. Red light. Next to a busload of people.

Upside down beetle impression.

This is why I'll probably never start using cleats…

g0g wrote: »
    ... Had a speedo ... huge round yoke with a disc against the wheel spinning ...

Brings back memories :o Thank God for magnets, electronics and satillites

daragh_ wrote: »
    ... Snot Rocket landing on unfortunate Club Mate ...

:eek: Another reason not to join a club :P

... Had to walk/wobble home wheeling the 2 bits of my bike now held together by the cables! ...

2 wheels good only when held together by something rigid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

I always cycle solo. That morning my stomach didn't agree with the fried eggs I put into it and I was feeling a little bit gassy... ah feck it, I thought, it's a remote road deep in wicklow mountains and really let this one rip... but a second later and to my horror I noticed that other cyclist had caught up with me and was riding behind me for I didn't know how long... I still hope that noise from the bike and wind somehow covered my 'not very lady like' behavior... since then I'm very cautious about who's behind/around/in front of me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭buffalo

j@utis wrote: »
    I always cycle solo. That morning my stomach didn't agree with the fried eggs I put into it and I was feeling a little bit gassy... ah feck it, I thought, it's a remote road deep in wicklow mountains and really let this one rip... but a second later and to my horror I noticed that other cyclist had caught up with me and was riding behind me for I didn't know how long... I still hope that noise from the bike and wind somehow covered my 'not very lady like' behavior... since then I'm very cautious about who's behind/around/in front of me.

heh, this happens to me occasionally* except I'm usually singing tunelessly along to some song in my head.

*occasionally, because obviously nobody ever catches up to me. OBVIOUSLY :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

I fitted a new pair of bottle cages yesterday that I'd ordered online. I wasn't happy with them at all. The bidons didn't fit properly, they were too close together and it was incredibly tough getting them in and out. I even vented a bit in a bike shop today, pointing at the brand hanging on the rack.

Ju3xDl.jpg

qZJIHl.jpg

A small brainwave this evening later while pootling up Stocking Lane, and the issue has now been quietly rectified.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I cannot believe you just posted that pic. It would've been waaaaaaay easier to quietly switch them around and stay schtum. That's almost as bad as Buffalo and his forward pointing front mudguard last year :D

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It actually took me a minute to figure that picture out. :o

kenmc wrote: »
    I cannot believe you just posted that pic. It would've been waaaaaaay easier to quietly switch them around and stay schtum. That's almost as bad as Buffalo and his forward pointing front mudguard last year :D

Hey now, I was just being considerate to whoever I was getting a tow from - I didn't want them to get all muddy from my front wheel! :p

• Advertisement

I still don't get it? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

stetyrrell wrote: »
    upside down!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Me either, they look in the same position in both pictures...???

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

CJC999 wrote: »
    Me either, the look in the same position in both pictures...???
    The 2nd picture isn't the "fixed" picture if that's what's confusing you.

The bottle cages are upside down in both photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Tazium

Going past the girls school as a teenager on my 'racer'. Their end-of-day bell was ringing and I knew they'd be coming out. Cool as a cucumber and thinking I was all that. A couple of girls appeared around the corner of their building and I had to take evasive action to avoid a collision. Still in cool mode, I saw time like the matrix bullet time and decided I've have plenty of time and look **** hot by guiding the bike up a grass bank and then carry on. Alas, the matrix was clearly broken that day because I went up the bank alright, but the maneuver back down was over before I knew it and I face planted right in front of the exit with teenage girls streaming from the building. Of course I did as you do in those situations, jumped up as if I was absolutely fine. Quick glance at the wheels and hopped back on, standing on the pedals for the blast off only to realize too late that the chain had slipped. Que crossbar meeting testicles and the girls now forming a spectators circle. Blood dripping from my nose, arms ripped from the elbow to the armpit and stinging like a mother-father, balls on fire and then some young-wan rather loudly proceeds to advise me that I've also managed to split my trousers. All the years I lived in that area I never took that route again. Even thinking about it now makes my nuts cringe.

Ah now I get it, the part at the top in the pictures is supposed to stop the bottles from sliding downwards :o

CJC999 wrote: »
    Me either, they look in the same position in both pictures...???

I guess that's three more members for this thread! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

j@utis wrote: »

Serves him right for staring at your arse for that long, he probably wonders how you KNEW he was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

awec wrote: »
    The 2nd picture isn't the "fixed" picture if that's what's confusing you.

The bottle cages are upside down in both photos.
    Confused me too :o; maybe I should HTFU and go for longer spins so that I need to fit bottle cages on my own bike...:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

oflahero wrote: »
    I fitted a new pair of bottle cages yesterday that I'd ordered online. I wasn't happy with them at all. The bidons didn't fit properly, they were too close together and it was incredibly tough getting them in and out. I even vented a bit in a bike shop today, pointing at the brand hanging on the rack.

<SNIP>

A small brainwave this evening later while pootling up Stocking Lane, and the issue has now been quietly rectified.

Why not just leave them as they were and put the bottles in upside-down?

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

beginning of the Tour de Burren, we were half an hour late setting off for the 100k. The OH was doing the 66k - her first ride over 20km on her road bike and with spd shoes and pedals. Just past the start, when waiting for another mate, two cyclists come heading back in the road towards Ballyvaughan. As they pass us, the OH gently and slowly keels over, unable to clip out in time. The most embarrassing bit was that one of the cyclists was Mr. Kelly himself, heading back to start the family bike ride...

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

route66 wrote: »
    Why not just leave them as they were and put the bottles in upside-down?

;)

That might've worked had I ordered this model instead...

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

Ah now I get it, the part at the top in the pictures is supposed to stop the bottles from sliding downwards :o

I bought the same cages a while back and managed to fit ONE of the cages right way up and the other upside down. It still took me a while to figure out why one was working fine and the other not.

I reckon there must be something in the plastic that causes temporary brain damage... :rolleyes:

My travels took me through UCD the other day, where I was reminded of one dark and stormy night in my student days when I was cycling home. A lot of people will know UCD is riddled with steps, but plenty of ramps for bikes and wheelchair users.
    I unlocked my bike from beside the lake, pedalled up the first ramp, and started to pick up speed. I approached the next ramp, which I couldn't really see in the darkness - there was some hoarding around a construction site blocking out the light, but it was grand, the ramp was on this side of the pillar, and steps on the other. I gave a little kick to power up the ramp, and went full force into the steps. I had enough momentum that I actually landed at the top of the steps, mostly intact. The two passing security guards found it amusing enough, though I had to cycle home with the front brakes detached, having put a dent in the rim.

I may have been coming home from the pub.

Advertisement