Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Close Pass

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

What strikes me most watching this is the pointlessness of the pass. What exactly were they trying to achieve given that there was a red light 100m down the road?

This is so true of almost all the bad impatient driving you see in built up areas, you just look at the drivers and think you idiots, can you not see how futile that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

What exactly were they trying to achieve given that there was a red light 100m down the road?

That's the norm! Part of my (short) commute is a narrow down hill ramped road that leads to a main road with a busy T-junction and STOP sign. I usually hit about 35kph without slowing for ramps, the amount of drivers that break their necks to get by me is unbelievable, sump guards and exhaust pipes grating over the ramps, veering in to avoid oncoming traffic...only to stop when they are three metres ahead of me!

I had to drive in the other day and I took the same route. There was cyclist in front of me, so I hung back and let her take the lead. The Girl behind me was livid, I could see her mouthing and waving at me to overtake!! Got to the end of the road and sat in traffic for five minutes while the cyclist carried on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

Surprised there was no bus Eireann involved as i rate these the worst then female drivers a very close second then usual taxi goons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

robertxxx wrote: »
    Surprised there was no bus Eireann involved as i rate these the worst then female drivers a very close second then usual taxi goons.
    Wouldn't rate males high for spelling & grammar on this evidence :pac:

Cut me a bit of slack, its Saturday night and I've consumed a few.

1. Bus Eireann

2. Moaning female drivers who "panic drive" when all they are doing is just going to the shops!!! ie; everyday driving.

3. Taxi drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,318 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Cut me a bit of slack, its Saturday night and I've consumed a few.
    That's your problem

However your comments about Bus Eireann, female drivers and taxi drivers is mine

Do not make generic comments of this nature, or next time you can expect formal action

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

The angry taxi woman is also truly remarkable. She's like a character from a comedy sketch or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

As a matter of interest... what kind of Helmet Cam are you using????

...seems good quality recordings!

Am in market for a camera at moment and am taking any advice I can get...

Thanks

Beasty wrote: »
    That's your problem

However your comments about Bus Eireann, female drivers and taxi drivers is mine

Do not make generic comments of this nature, or next time you can expect formal action

Whoa, step away from the fizzy pop,

First of all what's the main charter in all of these videos being posted?

Taxis, busses, female drivers! ok i apologies about bus eireann as they are not in the videos posted.

But please let me get this straight, you can make and post generic videos about the above ( number plates included ), but its not ok to make generic comment's about them???:confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Donelson wrote: »
    You can't be cycling in wexford town! I'd take dublin any day.

I do! I go from around Forth into Wexford town, mostly evenings and nights but i cycle plenty in the mornings also. I find drivers far more courteous here than in Dublin. Far less verbal confrontations involved also. In my last week in Dublin, a taxi driver pulled me over to tell me exactly how safe his appalling pass was :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I have been following this thread with interest. Much of what has been stated is well measured as opposed to the usual rants that appear on this type of topic.

I would love to know is there a Garda policy on dangerous driving and close encounters with cyclists.

In the past five years I have two incidents where the Gardai have been involved. Their subsequent behaviour and attitude left me despairing.

Issue 1. I was cycling on NCR and indicated to turn right. Stopped and waited fir no oncoming vehicles. When opportunity came to turn a car in the minor road turned onto me as I was making my turn. I screamed an o zenith. Two bike Gardai witnessed the event. I was verbally threatened by one of them for potential breach of the peace by use of a usibe language. Now this was the same week the Brian Coawan used the f word in the Dail. I pointed out to the Garda that I would be happy for him to waste court time to pursue this matter but given media events that week, I would imagine that I would get away with it. When he was quizzed about the incident - he responded that I was on a bike and the car had the right of way. When you have to explain the rules of engagement between users at a major/minor road intersection to Gardai then you are losing.

Second incident I was knocked off my bike on a one way street by a car that underpasses me by mounting a footpath. The Gardai at Pearse St had no inclination to follow up. The driver in question (I had reg and car make), was from an area in Finglas that they suggested would be difficult to do anything about, so best I just forget about it.

If the organisational culture is to treat cyclists as a frivolous nuisance then it is easy to see how that culture permeates. Nothing ever gets done as it is part of the thinking of the state.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,318 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Whoa, step away from the fizzy pop,

First of all what's the main charter in all of these videos being posted?

Taxis, busses, female drivers! ok i apologies about bus eireann as they are not in the videos posted.

But please let me get this straight, you can make and post generic videos about the above ( number plates included ), but its not ok to make generic comment's about them???:confused:
    If anyone has an issue with Mod actions/instructions, PM the Mod or report the post (all forum Mods and CMods are notified of reported posts) - do not challenge in-thread

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

ROK ON wrote: »
    If the organisational culture is to treat cyclists as a frivolous nuisance then it is easy to see how that culture permeates. Nothing ever gets done as it is part of the thinking of the state.

Guards are ordinary people and most ordinary people are morons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Lumen wrote: »
    Guards are ordinary people and most ordinary people are morons.

Do y'know what's really f'ked up though.... The Gardaí also have a cycling club. Maybe we should petition them directly. They'll get so annoyed they'll have to do something.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Do y'know what's really f'ked up though.... The Gardaí also have a cycling club. Maybe we should petition them directly. They'll get so annoyed they'll have to do something.

There are plenty of Guards cycling (and racing), but I'm not sure petitioning anyone will make much difference. Do you agree with everyone in your workplace?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

The Guards are well capable of defending themselves so need for me to saddle up for them.

What I would say is that my own experiences have been more positive. A motorbike Guard witnessed a jeep cut me up one evening over by Christchurch and that ended in a prosecution and conviction for the driver; and on another occasion another jeep forced me off the road. The Guards took the complaint and a couple of traffic corps officers visited the driver to talk to him about his driving.

On a separate note, I'm still wondering why anyone would want to strap a camera to their head, record instances of stupidity in Dublin and then publish it on youtube????? I'm none the wiser having had a look at the OP's channel - although it does suggest D4 is like the Dodge City of cycling in the capital!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Jawgap wrote: »
    On a separate note, I'm still wondering why anyone would want to strap a camera to their head, record instances of stupidity in Dublin and then publish it on youtube????? I'm none the wiser having had a look at the OP's channel - although it does suggest D4 is like the Dodge City of cycling in the capital!
    I believe in a situation that you wish you had it recorded, you just have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Lumen wrote: »
    There are plenty of Guards cycling (and racing), but I'm not sure petitioning anyone will make much difference. Do you agree with everyone in your workplace?

I lost my job a year ago... but thanks for bringing that up.

I'm joking, I was also joking in the post you quoted in a failed attempt to make the point you stated more clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭deadlyspot.com

ROK ON wrote: »
    I would love to know is there a Garda policy on dangerous driving and close encounters with cyclists.

There has been attempts to get a definied minimum passing distance, but none is established in Irish traffic law as far as I know. In the UK they have 1.5m.

I have found that yes, Gardai are people and they have a job and that involves many cases, and when those cases are prioritised, your case may not feature in the top 10 most important things to get done. So a lot of the time it can really come down to the Garda you deal with and how you make you case / statement. And as previously mentioned, if the other party is not available ot reluctant to get involved, this can draw things out very long.

My feeling is that due to perceptions about cyclists and motorists, there tends to be an over looking of incidents unless you can clearly articulate your facts.

Seweryn wrote: »

Using that logic, wouldn't you then have to camera-up your car, yourself when you go walking, the kids, the dogs etc

And even if you though that was a good idea - or even that just wearing a camera while cycling is a good idea - why publish or post it?

Ride, record - nothing happened, delete it and start again.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Sorry to go off topic a bit here, I see this happening here as kids cycle home from school as part of a learn to cycle scheme. Are there any stock road signs that warn drivers of cyclists in an area? I was thinking of getting a few made up and donating them to the school before the inevitable happens with one of these young riders and an irresponsible or worse (unaware) motorist. I have verbally asked that something be done.
    I think it's a classic case of the drivers being unaware of what the safety issues are.

Seweryn wrote: »

Exactly, record it, show it, and learn from it. Do you find that when you explain this to people who don't cycle, they don't believe you. They dismiss you as if you were a child in a playground. I've been knocked off my bike about 8 times, not to mention where I came off due to road surface or my own failings.

Anyway, about a year ago in a 10 day period I was knocked off twice. Non cyclists accused me of being the antagonist due to the proximity of the second time and suggested I was the one at fault as how could anyone be knocked off that much. Sorry, but that's ridiculous.

So, the point of recording is to highlight those instances that need to be shown to other road users, planners or whoever. Road user behaviour is a major factor in your safety. How many of those videos do you relate to? Now you can take that and show that to your loved one and say, remember I told you that this morning I was buzzed my a bus, taxi or whatever, that's what it looked like. It's not acceptable!

I also think that my route is not as bad as some other routes. I would love to know about those places to help bring about change to remove the problem whether that is pressure to change the road layout, or get a clamp down on behaviour at particular points.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Using that logic, wouldn't you then have to camera-up your car, yourself when you go walking, the kids, the dogs etc

Its pretty unlikely for something to happen while walking, but a dashboard camera in your car is always a good idea. For example:

If he didn't have the camera that scam would have succeeded. I'm sure it has worked against lots of other people who weren't prepared.
    And even if you though that was a good idea - or even that just wearing a camera while cycling is a good idea - why publish or post it?

To bring awareness of the problem to other people who might not know about it, and encourage other people to do the same. If the gardai are suddenly inundated with reports of dangerous driving, with evidence to back it up, they will have to start doing something about it.
    Ride, record - nothing happened, delete it and start again.......

A near miss is not nothing. An inch more and the OP would be on the ground, possibly seriously injured or worse. If that happened to me I would bring that video to the gardai and report the driver for dangerous driving. They might not do anything about it, but at least its on record, with video evidence to back it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Does anyone have a view on other cyclists passing you too close?

Some of them (cyclists) seem to have the same unawareness to give room as the motorised drivers.:confused:

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Sorry to go off topic a bit here, I see this happening here as kids cycle home from school as part of a learn to cycle scheme. Are there any stock road signs that warn drivers of cyclists in an area? I was thinking of getting a few made up and donating them to the school before the inevitable happens with one of these young riders and an irresponsible or worse (unaware) motorist. I have verbally asked that something be done.
    I think it's a classic case of the drivers being unaware of what the safety issues are.

Yeah, but isn't it interesting how many parents send their kids off to school on a bike but tell them not to cycle on the road, they must use the path because it is safer. There's something wrong there. Why do we accept bad driving on the roads?

I'm not aware of particular look out for cyclists signs. In around schools in the UK they have reduced speed limits to 20mph which would be similar to a 30kph here. In particular, Brighton. Take a look at these 2 articles

http://www.theargus.co.uk/yourargus/letters/9684029.20mph_city_wide_speed_limits___Amen_to_that/

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/bike-blog/2012/may/15/20mph-speed-limit?cat=environment&type=article

Take a dig around in that and see if you find some inspiration there. I've listed many cycling related articles on deadlyspot.com which are searchable.

deconduo wrote: »
    If he didn't have the camera that scam would have succeeded. I'm sure it has worked against lots of other people who weren't prepared.

Wow... Love that they were caught. Who would believe you!

........I've been knocked off my bike about 8 times, not to mention where I came off due to road surface or my own failings.

Anyway, about a year ago in a 10 day period I was knocked off twice. Non cyclists accused me of being the antagonist due to the proximity of the second time and suggested I was the one at fault as how could anyone be knocked off that much. Sorry, but that's ridiculous.

Interesting.........I don't wear a camera and I've never been knocked off.......

.......a theory is forming:)
    So, the point of recording is to highlight those instances that need to be shown to other road users, planners or whoever. Road user behaviour is a major factor in your safety. How many of those videos do you relate to? Now you can take that and show that to your loved one and say, remember I told you that this morning I was buzzed my a bus, taxi or whatever, that's what it looked like. It's not acceptable!

I also think that my route is not as bad as some other routes. I would love to know about those places to help bring about change to remove the problem whether that is pressure to change the road layout, or get a clamp down on behaviour at particular points.

It's funny, I thought the point of cycling was to get exercise, be healthy and enjoy being active.

Interesting.........I don't wear a camera and I've never been knocked off.......

.......a theory is forming:)

It's funny, I thought the point of cycling was to get exercise, be healthy and enjoy being active.

Your question has been answered. You are just trolling now. Good day to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Are you sure they didn't have a point? You're either very very unlucky, or making mistakes and failing to recognise them as such.

• Advertisement

Not trolling - i just baled from the Tour of Louth this morning and I'm a bit stir crazy at being stuck indoors.

I'm also just wondering why, if you find cycling so dangerous, you do it?

What is your agenda in going out with a camera and recording near misses and then posting them? From what you have posted and published I do not recognise cycling in Dublin - sure there are near misses but it's not that dangerous - in fact I'd say it's not dangerous at all, once you ride with a bit of common sense.

Why not post all your footage so the near misses / incidents can be put into some kind of context?

Are you a member of Dublin Cycling Campaign, and if not why not? If you are, fair play to you.

Advertisement