Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mc Donalds And Baby Changing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Alot of people are saying the op is overreacting. I think he under reacted.

1. He was obviously dealing with a niaive member of staff. He should have asked for a manager.
    2. There is no reason in the world one of the worlds most renown franchises cannot have facilities to cater for every one.
    3. Let's look at this in a different angle. The facilities are only available for women. So that gives the impression that McDonald's are still in the 50's, nappy changing is a woman's job. No need for men to lower themselves to such trivial tasks. They should also have a ladies sign on the kitchen door.
    4. Send a letter to the head office, talk to joe. You will see how quick this will change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Well, it reflects society's attitude towards men and parenting - apparently, the two don't go together!

I started a thread in Parenting last November, just before I went on a week's holiday on my own. I was furious to be constantly asked who was going to look after the children while I was away, and when I mentioned my very capable husband I got a few offers of help (never got that when he went to Cheltenham :mad: ).
    On that thread, one guy mentioned getting scolded by a woman for parking in a Parent and Baby space while he was taking his infant twins out of their seats - she told him they were for mothers only!
    And lots of complaints about baby changing facilities only being available in the Ladies toilets.

Nothing can be done about society's ignorance, but if enough people complain about lack of baby changing facilities in men's toilets, then maybe something will be done about it.

I was going to mention OP should have handed baby and changing bag to staff member, but I was beaten to it:D!

EDIT: OP, I just spotted this post from the thread I mentioned - sounds like this poster knows what he's talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i guess the real question is why do we have segregated loos at all? There really isnt much logic to it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

May I ask OP, do you encounter this problem a lot? It's just that I've never noticed any baby changing facilities in any men's room pretty much anywhere...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Dunnes Stores on Patrick street in cork had the same issue,
    when the newly built shopping centre opened they have a cafe on the top floor with toilets,

When our one was in nappies, Weekends were her dads time to change her nappy, while there for lunch he went to change her nappies and found the changing table was only in the woman's toilets, im not sure if they have since added one to the mens (or disabled toilet) but in the end i had to go change her.

to be fair though since she's been toilet trained it can be a nightmare she's a real daddies girl and if she's in a mood she will only have daddy assist her, so to be fair to the staff in the above store they always let him have the key to the disabled toilet (providing its not needed) so he can accompany her as he feels the mens are too messy for her :pac:.

im sure we're not the only ones as ive seen mothers taking sons into the womens, with no fuss being made.

but men do tend to draw the short end of the stick when it comes to childcare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

May I ask OP, do you encounter this problem a lot? It's just that I've never noticed any baby changing facilities in any men's room pretty much anywhere...?
    The pertinent bit from the OP: "there was no baby changing in the gents and no disabled toilet,"

In short, there was only for women or you are S.O.L. I can't say I'm hawkeye on the matter, but I'd imagine (open to correction) most places would have facilities where a guy could use changing facilities.

Even ignoring the changing facility issue for a moment, the lack of a toilet for dsabled people is a pretty serious oversight.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

This thread Stinks..........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I'd love to visit that mcdonalds and kick up a stink, can someone please give me a baby?

It's time the irish grew up. In Paris, mothers regularly accompany their boys into the gents and assist them using the urinals, with men blasting piss on either side. First time I witnessed it I was surprised, but I have since visited the ladies with my niece, and waited outside the cubicle for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭gabsdot40

I'm past the nappies stage now but I've changed nappies in a variety of places over the years, by the sink in the toilets, on the floor, sitting on a toilet with baby on my knee, baby in buggy etc.
    It's nice if there is a changing unit but it's not the end of the world if there isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Had to change the little one in a tiny restaurant in Berlin one time. There were no facilities (male nor female), so the owner set up a table and got me a towel to put her on and everything :) Happy baby in a couple of mins, sat back down to finish our (lovely and very cheap!) food.

Most places don't have facilities for males. I've never had a problem like the OP though.

It's pretty sad when a baby is let cry for the sake of gender segregation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

OP , Complain to McDonalds , name and shame the branch

That is totally out of order.

I am fed up when I change my daughter having mothers looking at me like I have two heads

AH response ...... get the baby to blast them with ........

I certainly encounter the problem often

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Send a letter to McDonald's corporate head office. You should get a reply about the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

mcdonalds cant be expected to cater to the minority of babies who will need to be changed by men...

The majority of my nappies were changed by my father back in 1984. Don't you think both parents should be able to access changing facilities?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

bronte wrote: »
    The majority of my nappies were changed by my father back in 1984. Don't you think both parents should be able to access changing facilities?

and in 1987 my father changed a lot of mine. there should be a unisex baby changing area, even if it has to double as a disabled toilets (it would need to be buggy accessible anyway). They should have let you into the staff toilets or something OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

So I've read the whole thread, and can't find an answer.
    Where is it I go to change my baby?
    I'm not happy with this one, I'd like to change it for a different one.

If you were in the shoes of the OP, you'd go in to the womens toilets, and there would be a changing facility. Not so for gents, and no disabled toilets. Generally, it is my understanding, this is available in disabled toilets so parents of either gender could use the facilities. Changing facilities shouldn't be gender specific.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    If you were in the shoes of the OP, you'd go in to the womens toilets, and there would be a changing facility. Not so for gents, and no disabled toilets. Generally, it is my understanding, this is available in disabled toilets so parents of either gender could use the facilities. Changing facilities shouldn't be gender specific.

Oh ok.
    So there's someone there to take my baby and give me a new one is there?
    Cool.
    Thanks a million - I'll do that after lunch so x

I must admit sometimes about 3am , I feel like changing my baby too ... want to swap ?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Alot of people are saying the op is overreacting. I think he under reacted.

2. There is no reason in the world one of the worlds most renown franchises should have facilities to cater for every one.
    FYP

It's a massive over reaction, why on earth would you expect a fast food place to have any baby changing facilities at all? This whole thread is so ridiculous. Having a baby is the OPs problem, not McDonald's.People really need to get over themselves.
    McD's whole reason for existence is to provide fast food to people and make money off it, they have no other responsibility to anyone after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭facemelter

yeah exactly, they're a fastfood outlet, not a creche

yeah a fast food outlet that has a clown for a mascot and often can be seen with a playground on its premises and includes toys in their kids meal.:rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

You need to perfect the art of changing him on your knee bro. I still have to change my daughter on my lap in some places. She's 18 months so it can be tricky at times, but some places are still not used to seeing dads on their own with kids.

In fairness though, you should have just went in to the ladies.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭shaunandelly

Maccy d's usually have their changing facilities in the disabled toilet.....So that raises another issue,why no disabled toilet ?

Maccy d's usually have their changing facilities in the disabled toilet.....So that raises another issue,why no disabled toilet ?
    That's basically the central question. No equivocating can get around it.

Ring their head office and complain. They're the only people that can do anything about it.
    keano_afc wrote: »
    You need to perfect the art of changing him on your knee bro. I still have to change my daughter on my lap in some places. She's 18 months so it can be tricky at times, but some places are still not used to seeing dads on their own with kids.

In fairness though, you should have just went in to the ladies.
    These posts are the most worrying. Seriously? Change a baby at a table that people have to eat at? Do you people have no concept of hygiene?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I would prefer if the baby changing facilities were in the mens. We women are being forced to suffer crying babies and the stink of sh*tty nappies when we go to the toilet. Not to mention that the men get to cop out of changing the babies when they are with us. "oh no love, I can't change the little tykes sh*tty arse because the baby changing facilities are in the womens loos - heh heh"

Move the changing tables to the mens I say!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭MiseryCat

So i was in mc donalds today having a burger and had 7 month old son with me. eventually he needed to be changed so off i went to the baby changing in the toilets
    the next part enraged me. there was no baby changing in the gents and no disabled toilet, the baby changing area is only in the ladies.
    i asked a member of staff where was i able to change the baby and she said 'only in the ladies but obviously you cant go in there'.
    i couldnt believe it, the baby was starting to get cranky but she stood at the door of the ladies blocking it so there was no way i could go in.

im very angry over this, i feel its sexist that baby changing is only available in the ladies toilets. i ended up changing him in the car but could have prevented him crying for half an hour if baby changing was available to men. it was the donaghmede branch of mc donalds. im seriously thinking of ringing joe tomorrow over this and going further

thoughts?

I thought baby changing area would be in the disable toilet so both adults could change baby nappy in there and its a big enough room like.:confused:

Davidth88 wrote: »
    I must admit sometimes about 3am , I feel like changing my baby too ... want to swap ?

:)

Well, it's actually not born yet.
    But you can have my 9 year old instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Ring their head office and complain. They're the only people that can do anything about it.

These posts are the most worrying. Seriously? Change a baby at a table that people have to eat at? Do you people have no concept of hygiene?

Where did I say he should change him in the restaurant in full view of people? I thought it was obvious I was referring to going to the gents and changing him on his lap in a cubicle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

keano_afc wrote: »
    Where did I say he should change him in the restaurant in full view of people? I thought it was obvious I was referring to going to the gents and changing him on his lap in a cubicle.

It didn't come across that clearly. But I see your point.

Advertisement