Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THE NIGHT BEFORE THE LC EXAMS

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I won't cram anyway I learnt my mistake last year it doesn't work well not for me anyway. I'll sleep earlier I may wake up earlier to go over a few things but I won't stress myself out trying to learn any new material.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

I've 5 days off before physics so that should be grand, as for french, it's the one subject I have great confidence in, very little cramming needed.

Those 5 days before physics are an absolute godsend for me! It's just gonna be physics physics physics all day I intend to do about 9 hours a day! I'll do applied maths Q1 too but that's it... I need and A1 in physics, there's such a difference between an A1 and an A2, 10 points!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Astrozombies

Wesc. wrote: »
    Those 5 days before physics are an absolute godsend for me! It's just gonna be physics physics physics all day I intend to do about 9 hours a day! I'll do applied maths Q1 too but that's it... I need and A1 in physics, there's such a difference between an A1 and an A2, 10 points!

I know it's gonna be flat out physics! I hope you get your A1... as for me, I'll be delighted if I get a B1! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Im going to do my mocks over again, each one the night before that exam.
    Then Im gonna grade myself on them and wherever I dont do well go over that.
    And then go over the flashcards Iv'e made and whats most likely to come up.
    Definately getting a good nights sleep, I get tired really easily.
    Also gonna need a lot of sugar the morning of to stop myself getting dizzy during the exam. :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

I know it's gonna be flat out physics! I hope you get your A1... as for me, I'll be delighted if I get a B1! :P

Those days before physics are a life saver! I have German on the Friday, but other than that it's all physics. :D Hoping for an A1 myself (albeit, an Ordinary level A1 :P)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭GV_NRG

The rest, I stayed up until 1-2AM and woke up early at 6AM trying to perfect everything (And in certain cases learn things for the first time!). For a certain few, I stayed up almost all night.

same for me!

Most people would say "cramming doesn't work" and to an extent that's true. You can't learn *everything* from scratch the night before the exam. But if you've paid attention and did all that was expected of you over the past two years, it's evidently a valid studying technique.

i would say it definetly works! im in college now and during my 2nd semeseter tests i had 2 tests in a row and i was up for 40 hours over a 48 hour period! how abot 10 cups of super strength coffee and 4 cans of red bull strategically drank around the whole 40 hours! sure by the time i got to the second test i was falling asleep in it and i was having strange hallucinations for a while aswell... but the main thing is because i stayed up and had crammed all that stuff i had learnt enough to get me good marks and i was still able to remember all that stuff even though i was that wrecked!! :) so its up to you but i would definetly say cramming works! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Nicole.

For me personally, I'll only stay up until 11pm doing study. All of my exams are from the 6th to the 12th so I'd be drained after 2 or 3 nights if I stayed up late studying. I'm so afraid that I'll sleep in and miss one of my exams. Oh and before English paper 1 especially it's recommended to get a good nights sleep the night before because you really need to be able to form your own opinions etc so I'd be going to sleep at 10pm (being an optimist)

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

It annoys me to see this many people advising cramming as a good way to spend the night/morning before an exam.. For those who have been studying from day 1, know their stuff but are maybe a little bit nervous do not cram. Get a good night's sleep and you'll be fine, you know the material, you just don't know that you know it.. ;)

And to those who haven't been working all year/who have done nothing and think they can get a decent grade by simply cramming all night/morning, let me know how that works out for you. I'll be still asleep, laughing at the stupidity of cramming in my dreams..

EDIT: Oh and if you won't take my word for it check out this thread from the Trinity forum. Take their advice for your own sake.. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056656963

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

Wow at these people saying they can fall asleep at 10. I couldn't do that if I was given a million euro! :eek: My body doesn't get tired till at least 2am every night! Even in the holidays and times when I have no tests or exams I go to bed around 2, watch YouTube on my phone for an hour or so and fall asleep doing that. So staying up till 4 the night before exams won't be a problem for me. I think I have a very different body clock to most people cos even though I go to bed what others would consider "late" every night.. I get a headache if I don't get up before about 8/9 am. My body just must not like sleeping!
    Cramming FTW! :D Seriously, it is the key to a good grade!

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Seriously annoying, I tried bed at half 10 yesterday to get up at like 6 this morning and have a productive day. Was just lieing in bed till about 1 half 1, getting stressed at the fact I couldn't sleep :(!

Starting to wonder now if I'd be better off cramming on the nights before rather than telling myself to get early night, and then when I find I can't sleep I'll get even more stressed :( ahhhhh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Think I'll do a three or four hour cramming session before English Paper II, finishing up at twelve to allow for a two hour break before the exam so my brain doesn't fry. Then something similar for Maths Paper I, seeing as it starts at two as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

It annoys me to see this many people advising cramming as a good way to spend the night/morning before an exam.. For those who have been studying from day 1, know their stuff but are maybe a little bit nervous do not cram. Get a good night's sleep and you'll be fine, you know the material, you just don't know that you know it.. ;)

And to those who haven't been working all year/who have done nothing and think they can get a decent grade by simply cramming all night/morning, let me know how that works out for you. I'll be still asleep, laughing at the stupidity of cramming in my dreams..

EDIT: Oh and if you won't take my word for it check out this thread from the Trinity forum. Take their advice for your own sake.. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056656963

Quoted for truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Cramming is very effective. I don't see how reading over something once or twice more won't help you. Read a blog from a former Leaving Cert student who got 600 points and he said he got 2 hours sleep before Ag Science and Music exams and got A1s in both. Do whatever you want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

I'll read over stuff, but wont get stressed and a good sleep, thats if I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Grealish123

I actually plan on getting up at around 4:30 each morning, starting on Monday to get me into a routine going for a run to clear my mind and then getting a couple of hours study in from say 5:15 - 8:45. As all my exams are on different days (except Monday week) I plan on going for a quick nap after each exam so I can forget about it and move on. This ensures I will get proper rest and get loads of study in. Im a great believer in felling good=performing good, hence going for a run each morning. What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

for the mocks i crammed the night before geography until like 4, and got 84% (that being said i had learned for my class tests and stuff over the 2 years) i don't really think tiredness effects u for those kind of exams where you just have to get all the info out onto the page, didn't effect me anyway, maybe it was the rush of the exams! :P . But maybe for english, i'll try and get a better nights sleep :/

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

reznov wrote: »
    Quoted for truth.

I have faith once again in fellow leaving cert-ers :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

123 LC wrote: »
    for the mocks i crammed the night before geography until like 4, and got 84% (that being said i had learned for my class tests and stuff over the 2 years) i don't really think tiredness effects u for those kind of exams where you just have to get all the info out onto the page, didn't effect me anyway, maybe it was the rush of the exams! :P . But maybe for english, i'll try and get a better nights sleep :/

It wasn't the cramming that helped but instead the knowledge base compiled over two years. A fine line must be established between:
    "From scratch cramming", pointless, and "Quick surge of information to remember small details", useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭EDmon

Cramming is very effective. I don't see how reading over something once or twice more won't help you. Read a blog from a former Leaving Cert student who got 600 points and he said he got 2 hours sleep before Ag Science and Music exams and got A1s in both. Do whatever you want to do.

Can you please link the forum / blog that you're referring to ?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

EDmon wrote: »
    Can you please link the forum / blog that you're referring to ?

Thanks.

http://theleavingcert.com/600-point-student-open-to-questions/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

I noticed this thread in a few college sections, and most of the advice from college students is the same... get as much sleep as possible.

Sleep is probably more important than cramming. I had to get up at 5:50am for some of my college exams, I studied in the car/on the bus, and got about an hour study done in college... I only remembered less than a page from all that cramming because my brain had either not woken up, refused to take in anything else, or both. The jitters really do affect your concentration (both from waking early and nerves).

For the LC, I woke normal hours (as in 7:30-8:00am, same as school term). I looked over a few bits and pieces, but nothing up to an hour in length.

Best to get the few hours extra sleep, than get lots of study done but end up drowsy in your exam. You have to perform well from 9-12/2-5, not 4:30-8:30am. If you have 2 exams on any day, sleep for as long as possible the morning of... 2 rounds of 2-3 hour exams is extremely draining, and no amount of caffeine/sugar can fully replace rest.

On a side note, don't forget food :) Stick it in a clear plastic/clingfilm container so you don't disturb people... 3 hours is a long time and the energy rush from fruit/sweets can help immensely.

Advertisement