Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THE NIGHT BEFORE THE LC EXAMS

Options
  • 31-05-2012 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

To the students doing the leaving cert, and those who have done the LC.

We've all been advised by teachers etc. to "get a good nights sleep", before each exam. But for the mocks I ended up staying up late into the night cramming, until I had gone over all of the most relevant information, so I could refresh myself. (Grades were good, I was understandably tired.)

I'm afraid if I haven't read it the night before I may not remember some things.

Thus, What are you guys doing the night before sleep or cram or other?
    Or to those who have previously done the LC what would you advise ?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Reasonable enough amount of cramming, up early study all day taking breaks, stop at around 10, sleep :D. I better be able to sleep :/

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭The High Crusade

I'm not going to cram at the night, I'll cram for the day, and relax before going to sleep because if I cram right before going to sleep I'll have too much on my mind to get a good nights sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

EDmon wrote: »
    To the students doing the leaving cert, and those who have done the LC.

We've all been advised by teachers etc. to "get a good nights sleep", before each exam. But for the mocks I ended up staying up late into the night cramming, until I had gone over all of the most relevant information, so I could refresh myself. (Grades were good, I was understandably tired.)

I'm afraid if I haven't read it the night before I may not remember some things.

Thus, What are you guys doing the night before sleep or cram or other?
    Or to those who have previously done the LC what would you advise ?

Thank you.

I'm a great believer in getting up early in the morning to study. Night before my Economics mock I went to bed around 10.00 (drink hot milk if you can't sleep, sounds stupid but believes me it works!) Got up at 5.00am and crammed until 8.30. Works wonders for me! Ended up getting an A2 in it! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

I'm a great believer in getting up early in the morning to study. Night before my Economics mock I went to bed around 10.00 (drink hot milk if you can't sleep, sounds stupid but believes me it works!) Got up at 5.00am and crammed until 8.30. Works wonders for me! Ended up getting an A2 in it! :P

I feel like doing that tomorrow...

I'll never make myself go to bed at 10 though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I've already stopped cramming, but I'll probably get up about an hour earlier than usual to flick through proofs and definitions. Not being exhausted and being calm is more important to me. My timetable is gorgeous though, loads of evenings and mornings off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Now that PictureFrame mentions it, I might get up early to cram on the day. As long as it doesn't make me nervous or tired. And I'll have to have a good long break of an hour or so before each exam so I don't burn out in the middle of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

Definitely not going to cram all night. I reckon if I don't know it by 11.00pm, it just won't get done no matter how long I stay up, so I'll just go to bed. My timetable is wonderful. I'm only studying for four subjects really and I have them over three weeks. The first one on the Friday of the first week, second on the Tuesday of the second week, third on the Friday of the second week and the last on the Monday of the third week. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Raeone

Stop studying at 10pm, in bed at 11pm and then up at 6am and then start cramming at 6:30am.
    Thats the plan anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Plan is to get up every morning at 5.00am or 5.30am before each exam to cram as I really am screwed otherwise :(

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Going to sleep in. If you haven't rigourously prepared beforehand, trying to cram the whole book won't help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

reznov wrote: »
    Going to sleep in. If you haven't rigourously prepared beforehand, trying to cram the whole book won't help.

This. Just going to set at my desk confident in the knowledge that the Leaving Certificate is just the first of many stressful exams. Got to get used to it "/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

English PI/II: Early night. Staying up late the night before an English exam is very risky. English is a subject that can either go well or horribly wrong, even for the best of students. If your head isn't clear and rested, you'll do poorly.

Maths PI/II: Early night. You need a clear head. That said, if you don't have the proofs memorised staying up and getting them down isn't a bad idea.

Those were the only two subjects I slept early for. The rest, I stayed up until 1-2AM and woke up early at 6AM trying to perfect everything (And in certain cases learn things for the first time!). For a certain few, I stayed up almost all night.

For example, I stayed up until 1:30AM for French practicing my essay writing and listening. An extreme example is biology. For the bulk of 6th year, I didn't do anything in the way of "study" for any of my subjects barring Maths and French. I always found Biology/Chemistry fairly easy (A1s from start to finish of the two years) and therefore neglected looking at either until the night before the exam.

For biology, the sheer size of the course shook my confidence the night before the exam. Out of worry that I may have missed something over the two years, I spent almost 18 hours cramming before the exam. I arrived home the day before at 1PM and didn't stop studying until 6AM the next day. I napped for an hour, woke up at 7AM and read continuously until 9:30AM when the exam started. Most people would say "cramming doesn't work" and to an extent that's true. You can't learn *everything* from scratch the night before the exam. But if you've paid attention and did all that was expected of you over the past two years, it's evidently a valid studying technique.

So in short, look at the nature of every exam and your current standard and work it out from there. Weigh up the pros and cons of an early night vs cramming and choose the most appropriate.

Wish I had a day for Bio but it's on with Irish Paper 2 so I won't have looked at it since before the exams. Should be ok :)

Well of course if you've invested effort throughout the course of the year or two, then early morning revision may be helpful. However if you're rising from scratch, it isn't recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

Definitely going to get sleep before English, Maths and Geography. The rest of my subjects I'll probably end up doing a good bit of cramming revision, especially Chemistry and Biology. Learning diagrams, definitions, experiments and so on.

There isn't really much you can cram in the way of languages, in my opinion, you either have it at this stage or you don't. How would anyone here go about cramming for languages? (German and Irish for me)

Well of course if you've invested effort throughout the course of the year or two, then early morning revision may be helpful. However if you're rising from scratch, it isn't recommended.
    Being well rested but not knowing anything isn't much use for exams like biology. For someone who's rising from scratch in a subject like biology an all-nighter (If actually productive and not just a massive panic fest) may make a big difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

@partyatmygaff what did you do for Irish (if you did it) and your other subject (if you had a seventh)? And are you basically saying it's grand to cram all for the whole night before but just if you're fairly brilliant at the subject already?

Being well rested but not knowing anything isn't much use for exams like biology. For someone who's rising from scratch in a subject like biology an all-nighter (If actually productive and not just a massive panic fest) may make a big difference.

I'll concede that point alright. It of course depends on an individual's ability and productivity during certain periods of time during the day.

I'll concede that point alright. It of course depends on an individual's ability and productivity during certain periods of time during the day.

Well in this situation having an empty head and being well rested isn't much help. Nothing to lose by cramming anyway as long as you take time to clear your head prior to the exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

I'm wondering myself what the best thing to do is on days where my exams don't start until 2 (such as English paper 2). Not sure if I'll get up earlyish to study, or let myself have a decent enough lie in and then do a little bit. Or if I'll even bother studying beforehand at all.

• Advertisement

Well in this situation having an empty head and being well rested isn't much help. Nothing to lose by cramming anyway as long as you take time to clear your head prior to the exam.

Up to the individual. I prefer sleep. I'm sure the log book will guide me to an A1 in all 7 subjects. :pac:

Togepi wrote: »
    @partyatmygaff what did you do for Irish (if you did it) and your other subject (if you had a seventh)? And are you basically saying its grand to cram all for the whole night before but just if you're fairly brilliant at the subject already?
    I never really cared about Irish (I took up an 8th subject instead). For Irish, I did absolutely nada over the two years. No study, no homework, nothing. I did relatively well in my oral exam, butchered my aural exam and prepared a few choice essay/answer phrases a few weeks before the exam. I memorised them the night before the exam, threw them in to my answers and wrangled with the reading comprehensions and managed to do quite alright with a C3 at HL. The grade is an outlier when compared to the rest of my subjects but all things considered it's excellent value for the negligible time and effort I put in to the subject.

As for my eighth subject, I took up business in October in sixth year. I had done business in school up until the Junior Cert and got an A with remarkable ease. Having absolutely hated going to business classes (They were mind-numbing and almost torturous) I didn't continue with it in fifth year. At the end of the summer between 5th and 6th year I decided the most beneficial use of my time would be to teach myself LC Business and do it for the LC.

I bought the book and read it about twice before the mock. A bit worried before the mock I decided to "cheat" by looking up the questions asked on the DEB and Examcraft mocks. Not being part of the LC Business class in my school I wasn't told anything about the exam. Unluckily for me... I got a complete shock when I opened the exam and realised it was from an unknown company with completely different questions and topics. I hadn't even completed a single exam question in LC Business up until that stage. To the immense shock of myself, the school and my friends who actually did business I managed to get 91% and topped the school's results.

Skipping forward to the LC I spent the final week and night before the exam doing exam questions and looking at marking schemes. Very strangely, it seemed to have had a negative effect on my marks as I ended up with a B1 (Which I regret not appealing).

I think what helped me with Business was that the exam really only required a good command of English with some common sense, general knowledge and a few simple concepts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Stalin and rugby

Party - What grades did you get overall?

Party - What grades did you get overall?
    555 points (580 points for 2012), with As in English, Engineering, Biology and Chemistry and B1s/B2s in the rest (Save for Irish).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

555 points (580 points for 2012), with As in English, Engineering, Biology and Chemistry and B1s/B2s in the rest (Save for Irish).

That is seriously impressive! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Wow, congrats! Just wondering (always wondered) is engineering Metalwork for leaving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Wow, congrats! Just wondering (always wondered) is engineering Metalwork for leaving?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

I'm definitely NOT an early morning person but I am very much a late night person!! :) So looks like I'll be staying up till 4/5 the night before every exam (other than English Paper 1 obviously... You can't study for that and the desperate housewives finale is on the night before that exam so I'll be watching that and hoping for inspiration!!)
    I never studied for my Biology summer exam last year but I absolutely CRAMMED everything till 4 am the night before and got 98% :D
    That better not fail me now! For some reason really late the night before exams is the only time I ever have the motivation/ drive to study really well!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Astrozombies

I have been trying so hard for WEEKS to wake up at 6am and study before school or whatever, but as soon as I pick up my alarm, it's snooooooze until 10:30am :/ every morning! I can't sleep before 1am regardless so I think Ill stay up and spend that time studying for most things.. Geography, English, Irish(not counting it) and art Ill stay up cramming for.... Maths is gonna be fairly difficult for me, Im trying to improve my usual HL grade of 45% to roughly a D1/C3, so I doubt stressing the night before will help me concentrate the next day!
    I've 5 days off before physics so that should be grand, as for french, it's the one subject I have great confidence in, very little cramming needed.

• Advertisement

ChemHickey wrote: »
    Not too sure. In its own right, i'd say the practical element deals with the physical design and fabrication of "things" (Like snowmobiles or model gantry cranes) whereas the written exam deals with engineering analysis, testing, processes and pure theory such as chemical polymerisation in plastics.

It's quite a broad subject theory-wise. There are elements of chemistry, physics and pure engineering. For a better idea, check out last year's paper.

Advertisement