Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The systematic destruction of history.

Options
  • 31-05-2012 5:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭

I was thinking about this recently, after hearing about the looting of museums in Cairo during the unrest there.
    Libraries have been destroyed for a very long time from what i can see. Alexandria had a fairly extensive one and historical artifacts worldwide have been robbed or destroyed for various reasons.
    I think it's terrible to think how much history has been erased in all this madness.
    Imagine how much more advanced we'd be overall, if this history was looked after?
    Imagine how easy it will be to "burn" modern libraries when they all go digital!
    I'm beginning to think we'll always remain in the dark ages compared to where we could be, due to this destruction.

What's the conspiracy?

Could there be an ongoing plan to keep us from advancing too much?

Could there be an ongoing plan to keep us from advancing too much? 29 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 29 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭chooochooo

no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

chooochooo wrote: »
    no
    Wow, thats deep.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

throughout history things have been erased or hidden. I am goin to sound like a feminist now but there were scrolls that Mary magdeline wrote that were hidden because the world wouldn't be able to handle the thought of a female being an apostle. also photos of the 1916 rising apparently photos were edited very early on erasing women holding guns. This was to try hide the fact women fought.
    The point I am making is it depends what is destroyed if it is random things that are unconnected then its not a conspiracy.However it could take a while to establish if destroyed artifacts have relevance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

shedweller wrote: »
    I was thinking about this recently, after hearing about the looting of museums in Cairo during the unrest there.
    Libraries have been destroyed for a very long time from what i can see. Alexandria had a fairly extensive one and historical artifacts worldwide have been robbed or destroyed for various reasons.
    I think it's terrible to think how much history has been erased in all this madness.
    Imagine how much more advanced we'd be overall, if this history was looked after?
    Imagine how easy it will be to "burn" modern libraries when they all go digital!
    I'm beginning to think we'll always remain in the dark ages compared to where we could be, due to this destruction.

What's the conspiracy?

Could there be an ongoing plan to keep us from advancing too much?

The short answer is no.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭SIR PEADO BAILOUT

Jonny7 wrote: »
    The short answer is no.

And da long answer........yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Daithi 1

I would say yes also.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭RoboClam

I added a poll, so there is now no need to reply with just a "yes" or "no". Bit more content guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'm not sure how we'd advance from having more intact historical items. And I wouldn't have called the looting of the Cairo museum as systemic. It was random people stealing what they thought they could make money on. Something like the Taliban in Afghanistan destroying the Buddhas of Bamiyan would be a better example, since they were destroyed as a symbol of removing a belief system.

This sort of thing isn't new. As they say, "History is written by the victors", so it's hardly surprising that perceieved enemies would be erased from the history books, to show up the victors dominance.

But as for a long term plan to keep us from advancing, I don't know how that would work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Isn't this entire line of thought predicated on the popular misconception of the so called "Dark ages" as a terrible time devoid of reason and learning?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

Or under the premise that aliens are in contact with humans.
    Could go alot of ways.

• Advertisement

Aliens, I always forget about the Aliens.

Thanks for the responses lads. I suppose conspiracy is a strong word to use. But there is still a certain "meh" attitude when it comes to preserving our history. I remember reading in a book about a place called "hagar qim" in malta if my memory still functions. It is very old and apparently this goes against the official history of the area. So it turns out, accodring to the author, that once a year the security on site lapses and a gang of thugs do some damage to it. Over time the place will be ruined. Of course, i personally have no proof that this is happening but the author, Graham Hancock, is a decent enough writer and something like this isn't that big a thing.

It could just be human nature that allows this erasing of history after a time and if so, there's not much that can be done. Although whomever built the pyramids at giza certainly tried to resist this! But then, what is left is so vague that there are arguments over what they are or were for. It's like we just block off our ears and say "lalalalala" when the theories are a little out there! Fair enough, but the pyramids are indicating a level of sophistication way higher than conventional history would allow. I wouldn't be surprised if some nutter got a nuke in them and made bits of them!

I'm convinced there is something at work here but i can't be sure of the who's any why's of it all!

Aliens, I always forget about the Aliens.
    Thank you for giving me my first real lol today!

Isn't this entire line of thought predicated on the popular misconception of the so called "Dark ages" as a terrible time devoid of reason and learning?

And is that factual though da "DARK AGES" was that some systimatic destruction going on with da history like popular miscon. what you say.....clarify ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

much harder actually, because they'll be easily stored in less space, and much more easily copied. If pirates decide to set up a torrent of all the literature and reports, it could essentially never be destroyed.

And is that factual though da "DARK AGES" was that some systimatic destruction going on with da history like popular miscon. what you say.....clarify ?

... I have no idea how to parse this mess.

But if I were to have a guess, you seem to believe that the "dark ages" were a time of backwardness and ignorance, however that idea has been re evaluated and the term itself is not even used academically any more.

Basically, the explosion of knowledge that typifies the age of enlightenment only came about because of the long standing traditions that established the use of reason as one of the most important of human activities.

Likewise the myth that during this time people believed the earth to be flat is also wrong- a piece of 19th century fluff and nothing more.

There are a fucktonne of books on the subject if you'd care to learn more. It wasn't a goddamn utopia, but it's not the hellscape that it's often portrayed as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

We're advancing quicker than ever before, exponentially. So I don't think there's some plan to stop advancement. It is inevitable that throughout history things have been altered, erased, forgotten or destroyed, the Archives building in Dublin was destroyed during the civil war. I do wish that people had more interest in preserving historic sites though, its a shame to see them damaged or left to rot.

The digitizing books can only be a good thing, gives millions access and a chance to copy, instead of just having one copy in existence.

... I have no idea how to parse this mess.

But if I were to have a guess, you seem to believe that the "dark ages" were a time of backwardness and ignorance, however that idea has been re evaluated and the term itself is not even used academically any more.

Basically, the explosion of knowledge that typifies the age of enlightenment only came about because of the long standing traditions that established the use of reason as one of the most important of human activities.

Likewise the myth that during this time people believed the earth to be flat is also wrong- a piece of 19th century fluff and nothing more.

There are a fucktonne of books on the subject if you'd care to learn more. It wasn't a goddamn utopia, but it's not the hellscape that it's often portrayed as.

What are u trying to say ....is that something factual though about da DARK AGES u think that coz some academias now said so ....clarifikation puh leese !!! Its not called da DARK AGES for nothing ....sweet jaysuss :confused:

much harder actually, because they'll be easily stored in less space, and much more easily copied. If pirates decide to set up a torrent of all the literature and reports, it could essentially never be destroyed.
    I sincerely hope you are right! But the recent "flame" worm discovered shows how stealthy the introduction of a virus can be into a computer network.
    File types can become obsolete over time and the lesser known or accessed files could simply become unreadable in a few hundred years. Given enough time, some stories will become legends and eventually become myths. And then people will think it never happened! Ancient artifacts can help remove the myth aspect and make it real again. Not always of course but it would definitely help fill in our historical record.

Then you have the floods at the end of the ice age. Nobody did this of course but plato wrote a few bits and pieces about it and it was supposedly 9000 years or so previous to him. But i think his work was in the library of alexandria when it was burned. Jaysus i get giddy thinking of how much more we would know about our history if we had that!

Perhaps we need to set up a quango to look after our historical artifacts! And i mean with very unreasonable force because thats what appears to be needed!!

What are you trying to say

It's not very complicated, the "dark ages" weren't as terrible as is commonly believed. Nor were scientists persecuted (as a general rule) or any of the other things. It's a fiction.

....is that something factual though about the DARK AGES

Yes.
    It's not called the DARK AGES for nothing ....sweet Jesus :confused:

Actually, it pretty much is.

• Advertisement

ohhh actually....no sciencetists were persecueted says who..... your academia types who change da story like coz they want to be all the same ....yeah right

maybes youse would like da "DARK AGES" better than now not knowing yore ass from youse elbow like....the only fiction is yore imagination not believing in da actually history of da "DARK AGES"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭weisses

What are u trying to say ....is that something factual though about da DARK AGES u think that coz some academias now said so ....clarifikation puh leese !!! Its not called da DARK AGES for nothing ....sweet jaysuss :confused:

as a Russian would say ... DA !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

ohhh actually....no sciencetists were persecueted says who..... your academia types who change da story like coz they want to be all the same ....yeah right

maybes youse would like da "DARK AGES" better than now not knowing yore ass from youse elbow like....the only fiction is yore imagination not believing in da actually history of da "DARK AGES"

I'd swear there is some government conspiracy to undermine conspiracy theorists with posts like this.. has to be.. can't.. be.. real ;)

Jonny7 wrote: »
    I'd swear there is some government conspiracy to undermine conspiracy theorists with posts like this.. has to be.. can't.. be.. real ;)

sure youse doing da grand job yoreself bhoyo with da theorists and all dat
    .....:pac:

weisses wrote: »
    as a Russian would say ... DA !!

is that DA da "DARK AGES" ....duhh :rolleyes:

I highly doubt you're qualified to challenge people who have spent years researching these areas, on any level. But I do encourage you to surprise me.

Yes, quite. If you have a genuine interest I'd ask that you might start your reading with "Inventing the Flat Earth". It should at least start to loosen the mistaken notion you have about history.

And as an aside writing phonetically ought to be considered a criminal offense.
    Possibly even a capital one.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Wereghost

No ongoing plan, just the inertia against which human endeavour nevertheless prevails. The universe couldn't care less about whether we thrive as a species, so it's two steps forward and one step back for us. Civilisations may rise and fall, but history has a general tendency towards the better IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Channel Zero

Interesting stuff.

Colonialism comes to mind when we're talking about this.

Australia is a great example of hidden history.
    The City of Sydney council has recently voted to replace the words "European arrival" in the official record with "invasion". Which is great.

Link: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/jul/01/invasion-australia-forbidden-word-aboriginal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

chooochooo wrote: »
    no
    Wow, thats deep.
    A shallow answer to a shallow question.

• Advertisement

Here's a link to the vandalism i referred to at Hagar Qim in Malta:
    https://communities.uhi.ac.uk/07016781/files/847/3792/UNESCO+paper.pdf
    Turns out there's a quarry nearby that not only damaged Hagar Qim during its operation but is now going to be used as a landfill site! :(

Advertisement