Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why get a tattoo ?

Options
  • 30-05-2012 11:48pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 250 ✭✭

I've never posted on this forum before but I'm interested in getting a discussion going on about what a tattoo means to you? that could be about a particular Image with symbolic meaning or Just why do you like Tattoos ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

DuPLeX wrote: »
    I've never posted on this forum before but I'm interested in getting a discussion going on about what a tattoo means to you? that could be about a particular Image with symbolic meaning or Just why do you like Tattoos ?

My first tattoo is Saurons face, from Lord of the Rings. I love the books (and later the movies) and the image has always seemed so powerful to me. I thought about getting that image tattooed on myself from the time I was 16 until I was 23, so 7 years in total.

My second tattoo was only finished Monday - it's two goldfinches, with a background of oak leaves & branches. It was chosen by my grandmother, who I'm very close to, and who I wanted to let know how much I love her.

I wouldn't say I just like tattoos - I like good tattoos. Done properly, they're an amazing form of art. Done badly, they're just tacky or cheap looking, but you can say the same of any product.
    I love how they can tell the story of a person - where they were in life, where they want to go, what they love, what scares them, and so on. They're an awesome way to express yourself... and above all else, they can make a hell of a good ice-breaker :D

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Long Legged Mack Daddy

<snip>
    All that hard work and many edits for nothing eh?
    Trolling is not accepted here, so take it elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭jwilco

Just always wanted one. When you get one done you want more. Now have 12 on my arms and leg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Forgive me for being wary of your question, but I've only got one answer: why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

I think, as Jimmy Bottlehead said, when they're done right they're a form of art.

As for why I got my tattoo (I only have the one but there will be more :p) I've wanted one for as long as I can remember. I chose a typewriter with the words 'look at the stars' on the paper because I write and I feel like it's a huge part of who I am, I wouldn't be me if I didn't write. Also I just think typewriters are really beautiful objects. 'Look at the stars' is because my favourite Oscar Wilde quote is 'We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars.' It's to give me hope in writing and in life in general and to remind me to be optimistic and go for what I want and need. I think text tattoos are nice but I didn't want just text on it's own so I put the two ideas together.

Not everyone's tattoos have personal meaning, some just get them for purely aesthetic beauty. I'd love to that but I'd be so afraid of regretting it or coming to dislike it. I know that can happen with all tattoos but I think it's less likely if it has personal meaning. Maybe I'll be brave enough later in life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Long Legged Mack Daddy

what you got against common porpoises?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭jmc1243

I got one because i love tattoos, i think they're a great way to express yourself and express your individuality. Mine is a quote that means alot to me and im planning to get another one that ive designed myself so it'll be unique just for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 chrismartin4u

For me Tattoo is a art of representing your feelings on your body......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

I plan on getting one soon and it has significant meaning, i was recently diagnosed with a heart condition I also believe in the power of symbolic talismans like dream catchers so i intend to have a dream catcher done on my chest just over my heart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

It was always one of those "why not" sort of things with me.

We only have one life and one body, so use it.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 250 ✭✭DuPLeX

Faolchu wrote: »
    I plan on getting one soon and it has significant meaning, i was recently diagnosed with a heart condition I also believe in the power of symbolic talismans like dream catchers so i intend to have a dream catcher done on my chest just over my heart
    Good luck with tat .
    tat (get it )
    the main thing to remember about tattoos is that they are not permanent .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭TomKat

i think they're tacky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

My boyfriend has two sleeves and his back done, just started work on his stomach and his tattoos don't have special meaning. He likes the ink, the likes the way it looks on his body, that's it for him. They don't really symbolise anything for him, he just loves tattoos.

On the other hand my first tattoo (which I was due to get in April but will be getting as soon as I am off crutches) symbolises something to me. It doesn't symbolise a person or an event, it symbolises something about my personality.

Irrelevant of whether tattoos mean something to you or not, I think they're still an extremely personal piece of art even if they have no significant meaning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

First Tattoo was a Tibetan Writing, on my Arm, my next tattoo was on my chest Japanese Writing, i have one on my back of a Indian Tiger, the last one i got was a fiji tattoo on my calf muscle,

All tattoos that i got all have meaning to me, its not just about Art or looking tough. its all about what the Art means to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

DuPLeX wrote: »
    Good luck with tat .
    tat (get it )
    the main thing to remember about tattoos is that they are not permanent .

I don't care what your stance on tattoos is, but do not use this forum for your trolling efforts, or to insult people.

Continue this and you will be banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

TomKat wrote: »
    i think they're tacky

Then don't get one. :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭TomKat

Then don't get one. :cool:

duh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

tattoo's are amazing, they can mean as much or as little as you want them to.
    They can be the story of your life, or just a memento of right now.
    If you don't get it, you don't get it. Just don't ridicule those who do :)

TomKat wrote: »
    duh

I just want to make it clear to you that it is not ok to come in here to be disparaging or insulting to people with tattoos. We all have different preferences, and that's a good thing, as it'd be a boring world if we were all the same. Does not mean you have to be insulting. This isn't After Hours, and that kind of thing does not fly here.

I've already issued a warning to another poster above, so consider this a second warning. Next person to do so will be banned.

I'm not saying don't give your opinion if you don't like tattoos. Generic, paint-everyone-with-the-one-brush statements are not discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Raven_Melody

I thought about my first tattoo for about 2 years before I got it. My gradudation was a really big deal for me and I wanted something special to go with it, so I put alot of thought into the exact design I wanted. But I still remember the first time I tried to explain it to the tattooist and thinking 'fcccuuuk he's not going to know what I'm on about!' when I actually tried to describe it out loud! :o However, the artist was amazing; he closed the shop and spent 2 hours just drawing up the tattoo and getting it perfect, before he even came near me with a needle. I don't know how I didn't drive him nuts, he'd draw an outline and I'm hmm and haa about it and then he'd go 'okay, you don't like it, lets try it this way' and the tried a million alternatives til we got exactly what I wanted. The finished product was identical to the image I had in my head. That, is how I measure a good tattooist. Someone with the patience to listen to what you want and the ability to nail it afterwards. I'll never forget that experience, I remember travelling back on the train high as a kite from adrenalin afterwards! :)

My next one was something I had in mind for a while. When I was younger, I used to pick bluebells for my Auntie for this 'May Altar' she put on the window sill every year - I think it's an old skool country thing :) But anyway, I have memories of walking down the road picking flowers for her and being so proud of myself when they were put on the window! My Aunty means the world to me, so it seemed the best way to have a part of her with my forever. Now, the tattoo itself is a little different to what I had in mind, the placement didn't really work for the design I had in mind so I had to change it up, but I'll still always love it because of what it stands for :)

For me, tattoos are like blueprints of your life; memories that you cherish enough to illustrate for the world (or even just yourself) to see. In the future, I may get some simply for the art - I've seen some amazing pieces lately, but even then...they'll be reminders of that period in my life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

got mine to get over my fear of needles..........................didnt work!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

frag420 wrote: »
    got mine to get over my fear of needles..........................didnt work!!

Thats cos its a different type of needle.
    Im Id say heavily tattooed and have tattooed myself but dont ask me to give blood.Im fecking terrified of those type of needles.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Thats cos its a different type of needle.
    Im Id say heavily tattooed and have tattooed myself but dont ask me to give blood.Im fecking terrified of those type of needles.

Say, that's a nice avatar... :D:p

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Say, that's a nice avatar... :D:p

Thats my next Tattoo!!!!Just looking for the right artist.

Really have to get a Pinhead.Been using Hellrazer as a user name for nearly every FPS for almost 15 years now.Jesus I feel old.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 kmurr04

my first tattoo was just because I wanted one I got it when I was 21 and I haven't regretted it yet! I always wanted tattoos and I think they are a form of artistic expression and meaning every tattoo I have reminds me of where I was in life when I got it!

I get mine for the sake of it.

I dont have a reason,they dont mark a point in my life and they dont represent my long lost goldfish that died when I was 6.

Theyre art for arts sake and because I like having my skin marked differently than the next person.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Thats my next Tattoo!!!!Just looking for the right artist.

Really have to get a Pinhead.Been using Hellrazer as a user name for nearly every FPS for almost 15 years now.Jesus I feel old.

I've been using DamoElDiablo almost as long. Around 13/14 years.
    :(
    Probably because of your fear of needles that you love Pinhead so much though! :D Watching it is your therapy :pac:

I've been using DamoElDiablo almost as long. Around 13/14 years.
    :(
    Probably because of your fear of needles that you love Pinhead so much though! :D Watching it is your therapy :pac:

Na--stabbing myself with needles is my therapy.Never forgot the first time I tried to tattoo myself.Just say youre supposed to leave the needle hanging out by 1mm or so.........I left it sticking out by about ehh 1cm<<<< see kids this is whay an apprenticeship is a definate requirement!!!!1 cm is a lot deeper than 1MM.

It was on my shin and i think I hit the bone to be completely honest and that hurt like fook!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

Its different for everyone...

I'm fairly well covered at this stage and i usually get 3-4 medium to large pieces done each year depending on cash flow :D

Most are old/new school pieces some based in music some not.

I have a stormtrooper because I love starwars

I have a pearl because my grandmothers name is pearl but the other twenty odd have no significant meaning and were done because i actually love the process.

The build up to a booking, the taught process, the design, the anticipation and the actual pain of a long sitting and struggling through it to get to that final piece of art are all the things that keep drawing me back.

Fookin love it I do :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

To remember my many mistakes, try ensure that I don't repeat them...

Advertisement