Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyberpunk - CD Project Red

Options

Comments

I don't want to jinx it but if they've pushed it back just 3 weeks I would take their explanation at face value. They're working on the final optimizations for each system. This game will get intense technical scrutiny from Digital Foundry and co. I have no doubt the fanboys will be out in full force if it runs better on Series X vs PS5 or vice versa.

Personally I am expecting the base systems to be pretty bad. The Xbox One obviously has struggled to play things it's entire life, the base PS4 did a solid job for years but has struggled with late-gen games which just got a bit too ambitious for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Personally I am expecting the base systems to be pretty bad. The Xbox One obviously has struggled to play things it's entire life, the base PS4 did a solid job for years but has struggled with late-gen games which just got a bit too ambitious for it.
    Same here. I could be wrong but I'm pretty certain they haven't shown any PS4/Xbox One footage which seems like a bad move to me. They should be managing people's expectations on that front.
    I'll be playing it on PS5 when it comes out, so I hope it just runs decently until there's the proper upgrade patch. I'm less interested in graphics and more interested in the narrative/world building.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

So is the PS5 version of this not out until next year? If so I will probably wait rather than playing PS4 version and then playing it again when they release upgraded version.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    Same here. I could be wrong but I'm pretty certain they haven't shown any PS4/Xbox One footage which seems like a bad move to me. They should be managing people's expectations on that front.
    I'll be playing it on PS5 when it comes out, so I hope it just runs decently until there's the proper upgrade patch. I'm less interested in graphics and more interested in the narrative/world building.
    Yup...

HIGHLIGHTS: CD Projekt video games on Cyberpunk 2077 delay
    ABOUT THE DELAY: "This situation is different" compared to previous changes to the deadline - the game for PC is ready and plays well on next-gen consoles and the company is finalizing the process concerning current gen consoles

I have my own concerns with how the current gen versions are going to look given what I've seen in the footage released so far but we'll see what they manage to pull off. They've got some seriously talented folk over there so fingers crossed they can pull it off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

McFly85 wrote: »
    It’s so strange to hear of a game delayed after it goes gold. You would think that the game is in an acceptable condition with any day one patching being mostly tidying up.

I wonder does that mean any of the physical copies still have pretty serious issues.

The fact that so much money has been spent on advertising the November 19th release date makes me suspicious that it's something more serious than just 'polishing' the game.

Would it perhaps be something with the certification from either Microsoft / Sony for for the Xbox One / PS4? There seems to be suggestions of serious performance issues on the current gen consoles.

I remember it was reported last month that the game was entering 'final certification' by Microsoft / Sony but I never saw any follow up reports to say this certification was actually provided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

It would not surprise me if these game ran very badly on the base consoles. I think they may have gone too far with next gen features, and maybe need to remove stuff from the base consoles to get them running on a decent frame rate.

I think people will also need a decent PC to run this as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,575 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

After the first couple of delays with the release coming after next gen consoles, they should have made it exclusive to next gen /pc. Will be interesting to see c how it plays out and if the day one patch is gonna full up my ps5 ssd.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,206 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Given the minimum specs I actually reckon it’ll play pretty well on older PCs. Five or six year old builds would still be substantially more powerful than the base current gen consoles.

Of course, I’m also sure it’s a game that will scale tremendously well if you have the horsepower to do it. Very like the Witcher 3 in that respect. Let’s hope the ray-tracing is worth more of your GPU power than the fancy hair from W3 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

@Sierra Oscar
    That's a good point. Sony's very censorious these days. If it was held back on one platform for nudity or some state regulation in an area they publish, it could be they don't want to release it on the others because one audience to feel left out and it could hurt their brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    After the first couple of delays with the release coming after next gen consoles, they should have made it exclusive to next gen /pc. Will be interesting to see c how it plays out and if the day one patch is gonna full up my ps5 ssd.

Well they haven't worked on the next gen version yet, it will have the same benefits day one a lot of last gen games will. If its locked at 30fps, its locked.

It seems that they were behind in development and when they eventually went trying to make it run on the current gen it smashed into a wall. I'll be honest that's all on basically blind management, the current gen systems are 7 years old so they hold no mystery that it would be a msssive ask to get it running on base systems.

• Advertisement

So it's as I expected, the delay is to get it running properly on base consoles.

Base PS4 had a great run of it, with most first and third party games running at 1080p and solid 30fps. But in the last couple of years more and more titles were struggling. Ambition started to exceed capability. RDR2 was mostly good but awful in the towns. Days Gone was a mess on the bike. Ghost of Tsushima is in the mid 20s often. Will be interesting to see how HZD2 runs.

Base Xbox ... the less said the better.

I have no concerns about Cyberpunk on next-gen systems, they'll just power through it. Series X in particular looks to be a beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

Even though I'm gutted with the delay I'm glad I pre ordered a PS5 now. Purely speculation but I don't think my regular Xbox One will cut it any more for this game. I've long thought that. But I suppose we won't know for another month.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The CEO has said the game runs great on PC, pretty well on next gen consoles, and the delay is because they're still working on the current gen consoles.

Really seems like they're struggling to optimise the current gen, I'd say it's going to be very sub-par playing on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Cordell

Isn't it a bit late to find out it's crap on base consoles?
    Can it rather be that they don't want to compete with AC:V, which was supposed to launch 10 days before them, which will mean a lot of people will still be playing it hence not buying Cyberpunk on day one?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

CatInABox wrote: »
    The CEO has said the game runs great on PC, pretty well on next gen consoles, and the delay is because they're still working on the current gen consoles.

Really seems like they're struggling to optimise the current gen, I'd say it's going to be very sub-par playing on them.

I find it so odd that they've been making a game since Gen7, that won't run on Gen8 or Gen9 at full potential, but it's running fine on the type of PC hardware we could expect in Gen10 consoles! Talk about being ahead of it's time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,122 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

"Pretty well" on next gen consoles sets alarms off for me. Supposedly these new consoles are great in terms of their capabilities etc so shouldn't it being be doing better than "pretty well"?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,206 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

J. Marston wrote: »
    "Pretty well" on next gen consoles sets alarms off for me. Supposedly these new consoles are great in terms of their capabilities etc so shouldn't it being be doing better than "pretty well"?

This version of the game isn’t designed for next-gen - it’s just a boosted current gen version. “Pretty well” is precisely what I’d expect. There’ll be a full-blooded next-gen version that’ll run better in due course.

J. Marston wrote: »
    I don't believe he said that. From the link above:

"the game for PC is ready and plays well on next-gen consoles"

One word ("pretty well" vs "well") can change the meaning a lot. I haven't seen the full transcript, and i'm sure it was in Polish so i'm open to correction.

Just to follow-up on the above, CD Projekt Red have released their full q&a with investors. Their description of the next-gen boosted version is “plays great” and was ready to go before the delay: https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/wp-content/uploads-en/2020/10/trancript_en.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

I'm gonna say something that might upset people: I don't think this game is coming out for current gen.
    I'm amazed they're trying. As soon as I saw the first reveal of this game I assumed it was next gen. Then when they confirmed it was coming to current gen I guess I just couldn't believe it'd be possible without huge compromises.
    I think they shouldn't bring it out on current gen, however they've spent so much time and money on this game that from their point of view it absolutely HAS to come out on current gen because of the install bases on those platforms. Will be interesting to see what happens.

• Advertisement

There's not a hope in hell this doesn't come out on current (soon to be previous) gen. The new consoles will have a small userbase to sell the game to. After a lengthy and often delayed development cycle it would be financial suicide.

The game might be buggy, glitchy, have framerate issues or awful loading times... but it's coming out on PS4 & Xbox One.

Fair enough but then it's gonna run like trash and no amount of delays will fix it.

One of the main factors in me ordering a PS5 tbh. I knew my current Xbox wouldn't cut it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Cyberpunk 2077 is 'ready for the PC,' but current-gen console versions still need work

Still plenty of work to be done on release, which we know already I guess. How solid do we think the December 12th release date is?

I think the game will run ‘fine’, probably, on base PS4 and XB1 - far from ideal but playable.

What I do feel will be the case is that there’ll have been a massive downgrade to all versions of the game compared to what we saw two or three years ago. I don’t mean that in a bad way, because I know how development works and it’s completely normal that things change dramatically. But the level of fidelity and flow in early demos was unreal, compared to recent ones which look far more like a pretty open world video game.

Should point out that things like the character animations and models still look great. The game will still be a technical marvel by any modern standards. But some of those early videos were on a different level to anything we’ve seen since.

Everyone has their definition of playable but I expect it to be very choppy on Xbox One and base PS4, rarely hitting 30fps. Certainly Xbox One anyway, maybe the PS4 will do a better job but I doubt it will be solid 30.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1321842429356625922

Lol. Have to say, Schreiers reporting on this has been top notch throughout.

That’s just an own goal by Kicinski.

I did have to laugh at the investor call where it said ‘the crunch isn’t that bad... but yes some staff are crunching heavily’.

Advertisement