Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Vs Foreign wedding pros & cons. Discuss!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 grace80

sillysocks wrote: »

I think a very common mis-conception is that a wedding abroad is cheaper. Our wedding cost the guts of 20k for 80 people - things like dresses, rings, honeymoon, suits, etc all cost the same regardless of whether you're here or abroad. Our hotel charged 100 eur a head, now that did include a lot of things that would be extras here (free bar, chair covers, late bar etc) but still not cheap.

+1 to this. We are getting married abroad this summer and it is costing us a great deal more than if we had it in Ireland. Cost per head for food and drink is pricier and as sillysocks said, you don't get all the extras thrown in like you would here. You also have to factor in the costs for a wedding planner, transport for guests (busses to church, and venue) etc.

Also, don't bank on saving money through reduced numbers because it's abroad, as it may backfire on you! We have had a surprisingly small number of declines. Some people we thought would in no way travel or bother with the expense were the first to accept the invitation. We have been to 3 other weddings abroad and it was the same issue for each of those couples.

So, if one of your reasons for getting married abroad is to save money, do a lot of research and maths before making your decision!

That said, the additional expense etc is well worth it in our eyes. We have a long connection with the area we've chosen, so it is more special to us than any local venue we looking at. I've been to over 20 weddings in the past few years and the 3 I was at abroad were the best and most memorable by a long shot. That's just my opinion though!!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

thread is two years old so I'm locking it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement