Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Right Laptop For College?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

a clanger wrote: »
    You can get the Dell 15z for $699 in the US and the fare from Dublin is €585 with BA at the moment.....Around the same as you were going to pay here ...with a free trip to NYC included . I'm about to buy the 15z but missed getting it in J and R for $649:mad: which would have been a bargain..

Awesome idea!

I am a frequent flyer with BA, and im a member of there exec club so i have Avios Points to use..worth a looksie :D

But, do Dell have shops over there, like where would i pick one up from?

for college you'll want a laptop that's reasonably light as you'll be lugging it around a lot.
    13 inch or 14 inch screen is the sweetspot as you'll get a light laptop and a usuable sized screen.
    an ivy bridge ultrabook (with HD 4000 graphics) would be the ideal and will last you a few years.
    expect to pay $900 in the US for this type of laptop as they come out over the next few months.
    something like this: -

http://www.cnet.com/laptops/sony-vaio-t13112fxs/4505-3121_7-35288064.html?autoplay=true&tag=contentMain%3bcontentBody%3b1n

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Dannysaurus

glasso wrote: »
    for college you'll want a laptop that's reasonably light as you'll be lugging it around a lot.
    13 inch or 14 inch screen is the sweetspot as you'll get a light laptop and a usuable sized screen.
    an ivy bridge ultrabook (with HD 4000 graphics) would be the ideal and will last you a few years.
    expect to pay $900 in the US for this type of laptop as they come out over the next few months.
    something like this: -

http://www.cnet.com/laptops/sony-vaio-t13112fxs/4505-3121_7-35288064.html?autoplay=true&tag=contentMain%3bcontentBody%3b1n

The Gigabyte U2442. Just, nom.
    Fast enough and packs a GT 640M for decent enough gaming on the go.

The Gigabyte U2442. Just, nom.
    Fast enough and packs a GT 640M for decent enough gaming on the go.

will be pricey I'd say with that 640m option tho. could kill battery too unless there is an option to turn-off the additional gpu.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Dannysaurus

glasso wrote: »
    will be pricey I'd say with that 640m option tho. could kill battery too unless there is an option to turn-off the additional gpu.

Yeah, though it comes with Optimus, so that's a plus. AND IT'S SO PRETTY. But the only reason that caught my eye was because some other sites were saying it offers options with a 650M. Upon seeing that I muttered "Sold..."

• Advertisement

Yeah, though it comes with Optimus, so that's a plus. AND IT'S SO PRETTY. But the only reason that caught my eye was because some other sites were saying it offers options with a 650M. Upon seeing that I muttered "Sold..."

yeah I'm going to pick up an ultrabook when there's a bit of competition in the ivy bridge ultrabook market and prices are decent - probably in the autumn. big gaming horsepower not vital for me but a nice to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭a clanger

Robert Hopkins

J and R currently have them on Amazon at $679...well they did this morning when I ordered one. :D. I'm sure you can do pickup at the store in NYC but that might add a few dollars city tax . A post forwarding service would not be advisable as you would be subject to customs. I've looked on amazon and can't seem to find the $679 offer ...there were ten about 3 hours ago ...gotta keep checking !.

Robert Hopkins

J and R currently have them on Amazon at $679...well they did this morning when I ordered one. :D. I'm sure you can do pickup at the store in NYC but that might add a few dollars city tax . A post forwarding service would not be advisable as you would be subject to customs. I've looked on amazon and can't seem to find the $679 offer ...there were ten about 3 hours ago ...gotta keep checking !.

Ok Cool :D

Its got me thinking ;) - might head over, for a night, grab the laptop , and head back the following day.

With my SkyMiles, and the discount id be getting on the laptop, it might be worthwhile :D

Cheers

Thought id bring the thread to life again.

Im now considering getting the Lenovo X220 - Found HERE

Opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

If I was to buy an Ultrabook I'd go SSD, which they don't have. External HD's are so cheap nowadays that you could just use one of them for storage.

Lenovo's are reliable, I have one for work but they're quite clunky and ugly.

• Advertisement

Cina wrote: »
    If I was to buy an Ultrabook I'd go SSD, which they don't have. External HD's are so cheap nowadays that you could just use one of them for storage.

Lenovo's are reliable, I have one for work but they're quite clunky and ugly.

Yeah i totally agree RE: Clunky & ugly :D - although i "Think" they may have got a refresh recently as, my mate, who just took up employment a few months ago, got a brand new X220, actually looks very nice.

Its a work horse i think, made for the business.

no big issue RE: an SSD, id probably just buy one and chuck it in.

The laptops primary function will be college, i have a powerful desktop at home for everything else.

I just looked at the LENOVO Webiste though, and it seems the price has sky rocketed :S... last time i check the X220 with i5, 4gb ram, and 11.5" display was like 800e, now its over 1,000!?!... weird..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Is it 12.5'' ones that you're considering?

I haven't checked around for the best deals, but I definitely wouldn't go for the X220 Lenovo when you can get the X230. There's substantial differences between the lower models in both for only €25 difference.
    http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/ieweb/LenovoPortal/en_IE/catalog.workflow:category.details?current-catalog-id=FD6DB49790C7411D933567FC361231FB&current-category-id=53342ADC5C975FF80F4AFF71D3FFECA7&action=init

Keep your eyes open for 3XXX series CPUs as these are the newer ones. Better graphics and processing performance, so a lower clock speed doesn't mean slower.

Edit: Actually the lower model doesn't include a new generation CPU without spending extra money. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Have you considered getting a standardish (i.e. the E500 range) laptop and remote desktoping into your high end home machine for intensive stuff?

Monotype wrote: »
    Is it 12.5'' ones that you're considering?

I haven't checked around for the best deals, but I definitely wouldn't go for the X220 Lenovo when you can get the X230. There's substantial differences between the lower models in both for only €25 difference.
    http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/ieweb/LenovoPortal/en_IE/catalog.workflow:category.details?current-catalog-id=FD6DB49790C7411D933567FC361231FB&current-category-id=53342ADC5C975FF80F4AFF71D3FFECA7&action=init

Keep your eyes open for 3XXX series CPUs as these are the newer ones. Better graphics and processing performance, so a lower clock speed doesn't mean slower.

Edit: Actually the lower model doesn't include a new generation CPU without spending extra money. :(

Oops yep - i meant the 12.5" one :D

The X230 has the 3rd Gen i7 and the X220 only the 2nd gen one, so yeah good point :D

c_man wrote: »
    Have you considered getting a standardish (i.e. the E500 range) laptop and remote desktoping into your high end home machine for intensive stuff?

yeah that's kinda where im leaning toward now, the cheaper, option.

As, it will be used during college, and when i get home ill probably jump on to the PC anyway, as i normally do.

Im looking at the Refurb MacBooks aswell - some awesome deals!!

But, i need a windows machine :/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

If you did see a mac that was an especially good deal, you could probably get windows on it for free/discounted - many computing courses offer free or heavily discounted copies of windows.

I think macs are overpriced most of the time though and be wary of buying older ones as the tech might not be as impressive as a new, cheap laptop.

Monotype wrote: »
    If you did see a mac that was an especially good deal, you could probably get windows on it for free/discounted - many computing courses offer free or heavily discounted copies of windows.

I think macs are overpriced most of the time though and be wary of buying older ones as the tech might not be as impressive as a new, cheap laptop.

yeah im a windows man myself always have been etc.

I happily own an iPhone & and an iPad BUT never a Mac itself.

Id love to play around with it etc.

Getting windows software would not be an issue - i have an MSDN Subscription.

I know you can stick windows on a MAC, but i don't think its ideal - you know, supportability etc.

the model im looking at is, the late 2011 model, so last years one.

The newer ones, just released last week, are WAY OVERPRICED IMO.. this one i found was something like 800e ..

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭stevenf17

I'm in the same situation as yourself. I've a homebuilt gaming rig at home and going into 4th year now so want to get myself a decent light laptop for on the move.

Don't know how much mula you've got to spend but what i think i'm going to do is get the ASUS UX32 (once it comes out). Then stick a 256gb ssd in it long with another 8GB of RAM.
    Think its gonna work out at around €1380 including shipping. But for that you get an i7 ultrabook with dedicated nvidia 620M graphics(not great but much better than integrated), 256GB SSD and 10Gigs of Ram(there's 2 soldered to the mobo and another 2gb dimm which i'll swap for the 8gb) throw in the fact its got a 1080p IPS display, is only 18mm thick and only weights 1.5kg, its a combo that at the moment that i don't think can be beaten (in mobility and specs anyway)

Then again if you wouldn't feel safe taking apart a brand new laptop once you get it then ignore anything I've written above!

Got the idea from here http://teksyndicate.com/reviews/2012/06/23/asus-zenbook-ux32vd-teardown-ssd-upgrade-ram-upgrade-gaming-benchmark-and-review

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

On mobile so im not gonna read the whole thread, but ill give my 2cents:

Expecting a laptop to last 4y of daily use is a bit too optimistic IMO, battery will last 2-2.5 max and are rarely worth replacing. And there is wear and tear on everything else.

You dont need power, it can be nice, but isnt needed. A good atom will do.

Another point is do you want to bring your bag with expensive lappy to the pub? If not buy something that you'll be comfortable locking somewhere on campus, ie cheap.

Most useful thing for programming is screen real estate, spend your cash on one IPS or two 1080s if your choice can drive em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

• Advertisement

stevenf17 wrote: »
    *Available from 22 July 2012.

Right !!!

I mixed up the months :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

I know you can stick windows on a MAC, but i don't think its ideal - you know, supportability etc.

the model im looking at is, the late 2011 model, so last years one.

The newer ones, just released last week, are WAY OVERPRICED IMO.. this one i found was something like 800e ..

I've been running windows on my mac just fine for the last 2 years, I've never had any major problems, apple seem to update the windows bootcamp drivers frequently

And I'd be weary about a 2011 mac for 800, seems kinda low.

I've been running windows on my mac just fine for the last 2 years, I've never had any major problems, apple seem to update the windows bootcamp drivers frequently

And I'd be weary about a 2011 mac for 800, seems kinda low.

yeah - bit of a perfectionist type man myself, if you get me, i like things to be in order etc... so running Windows on a MAC is not really something i want to do :D

RE: the 800 MCP.. i definitely seen it, although as stock is limited, i cant see it anymore.

check it out HERE

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭a clanger

Well at the start of the thread I said I was looking at the Dell XPS 15 . I paid $670 for the unit and had a friend smuggle it in. I see it on Amazon now for $639:eek:. I'm very impressed with it so far as it was great VFM. Here's the link just in case you have American relatives it can be delivered to.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005SDDXF8/ref=pe_171870_24686890_pe_vfe_dt1

Well at the start of the thread I said I was looking at the Dell XPS 15 . I paid $670 for the unit and had a friend smuggle it in. I see it on Amazon now for $639:eek:. I'm very impressed with it so far as it was great VFM. Here's the link just in case you have American relatives it can be delivered to.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005SDDXF8/ref=pe_171870_24686890_pe_vfe_dt1

Those are American model specs

Product Features
    15.6-Inch Screen
    Processor, Memory, and Motherboard
    Hardware Platform: PC
    Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo
    Number of Processors: 2
    RAM: 6 MB
    RAM Type: SODIMM
    Hard Drive
    Size: 750 GB
    Type: Serial ATA
    Ports and Connectivity
    USB Ports: 2
    Cases and Expandability
    Size (LWH): 0 inches, 0 inches, 0 inches
    Weight: 10.2 pounds

$639.00

and

Those are UK model specs

English Windows® 7 Home Premium (64 BIT)
    2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM processor (2.20 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.10 GHz)
    1GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 525M Graphics Card
    8192MB 1333MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [2x4096]
    1TB (5400RPM) Serial ATA Hard Drive
    8x DVD+/-RW Optical Drive
    15.6"(40 cm) HD WLED TL (1366x768) 720p with 2.0 Mega Pixel Integrated Camera
    9-cell 90Whr Lithium Ion battery
    Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1000 (EUR)
    Mobile Broadband Not Included
    Internal UK/Irish Qwerty Keyboard
    Metalloid Aluminum Cover

£579.00

Find yourself a 10% OFF discount coupon and you are ready to roll.

Another thing is that you can customise that Dell from UK,you can't do that on the Amazon model

or if you wish to have a better display resolution

XPS L502x
    Processor: Intel Core i7-2670QM (2.20 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.10 GHz)
    Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium
    6 GB Dual Channel DDR3 1333MHz Memory (2 DIMMs)
    750 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
    8X DVD +/- RW DRIVE
    Display : 15.6" Full HD B+RGLED True-Life (1920x1080) with 2.0 Mega Pixel Integrated Camera
    Graphics : 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M Graphics card
    English Genuine Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium (64Bit OS)
    Back Up Media Not Included
    Wireless: Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1030 (1x2 b/g/n+ Bluetooth Combo Card)
    LCD Back Cover : Silver WLAN
    Battery : Primary 6-cell 56W/HR LI-ION
    Internal Qwerty Keyboard

Certified Refurbished

£547.34

http://outlet.euro.dell.com/Online/SecondaryInventorySearch.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=dfh&cs=ukdfh1&puid=b9ac4007

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭roguey

stevenf17 wrote: »
    Don't know how much mula you've got to spend but what i think i'm going to do is get the ASUS UX32 (once it comes out). Then stick a 256gb ssd in it long with another 8GB of RAM.
    Think its gonna work out at around €1380 including shipping. But for that you get an i7 ultrabook with dedicated nvidia 620M graphics(not great but much better than integrated), 256GB SSD and 10Gigs of Ram(there's 2 soldered to the mobo and another 2gb dimm which i'll swap for the 8gb) throw in the fact its got a 1080p IPS display, is only 18mm thick and only weights 1.5kg, its a combo that at the moment that i don't think can be beaten (in mobility and specs anyway)

I'm just back from Dubai and I used that Asus in a shop over there. Absolutely beautiful machine, rivals the Macbooks for looks and for the price and specs I think its a great buy. Considering it myself.

roguey wrote: »
    I'm just back from Dubai and I used that Asus in a shop over there. Absolutely beautiful machine, rivals the Macbooks for looks and for the price and specs I think its a great buy. Considering it myself.

Glad someone agrees with me :)
    One thing though, I think there's been a few issues with the backlight on the screen so I'm hoping by the time shops we can actually buy from get stock it'll all be sorted out, Fingers crossed!

Advertisement