Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Art History Predictions?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭SeanMadd

jmclee wrote: »
    I haven't looked at art, grand night before job, cos I won't be doing business on that day and then it doesn't start till 2, yeah I'd say you're well covered, I dont know how to answer specific questions either but sure I'll sort that out on the day

Unfortunately I've business D:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Spud_Monkeyy

I've covered pretty much everything except for modern Irish art minus the gallery q, that's so handy to have and I'd recommend it to anyone to do.

High Renaissance is always a big goer so usually one of Michaelangelo, Da Vinci, or Raphael come up. That being said, it's never a constant..

Banksy came up last year, I'd be delighted if he came up again! Must have watched his documentary a million times :p

Good luck to everyone, by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Emma_G_1

Has anyone impressionism and surrealism done ? my Teacher only covered those two for European History :/ ? also all we have done for Irish history in pre-christian , bronze age , iron age etc ?:S
    Ps dies anyone have any tips for the gallery Q as my teacher is extremely bad and has no tips or tricks ::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Does anyone know where I could possibly find notes on the Section 3, product design? Never been actually shown how to answer the question of it, or is it in the Less Stress book? (:

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Astrozombies

Irish crosses, bronze age artefacts, pre-christian metalwork, renaissance painters, impression, film Q, gallery Q

be grand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 kmc_

I'm doing Irish art (Bronze Age, Iron Age) and Newgrange
    Romanesque & Gothic
    A back up Impressionism question
    And a gallery/design question, hopefully that'll be enough.

And I've Business that day too, the worst exams for me to have together! Dreading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 craigb93

Ok im in serioussss trouble for this :/ can anyone tell me the minimum i can learn off just to pass this part of the exam???

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ermen

Apparently there's a good chance of Leonardo Da vinci coming up, but I'm too afraid to rely on predictions after the Plath, Heaney fiasco! I'm pretty much ****ed for it too, but you can kind of bull**** your way through some of it, and the appreciation question is so easy!

Does anyone know where I could find sample essays??

• Registered Users Posts: 2 keejoe

more than likely the gallery question will come up but be careful they like to vary it so the question may not be about a main gallery but possibly an exhibition, you may be asked to put up in your school with another dept. Anyway dont let it freak you out just treat it the same. If its a main gallery study the Hugh Lane in dublin if you look at their web site they talk about the Francis Bacon exhibition or the National Gallery of Irealnd where they have the Jack B Yeats exhibition. The reason I mention these is because they are permenant exhibitions and follow a common thread and have a dedicated space which shows the importance of the painters. With yeats they start with the early work so you can see development of his style, lighting is subdued, information about the painting is on the side of each piece ect. With the Bacon exhibition you have more to write talk about the intro film when you first go in, you are then brought to a different level to see the studio, talk about the studio they tell you about it on the web site. after that, you can listen about Bacon on these telephone things attached to the wall, then you can view some of his work which is not the most important pieces but the feast of information before hand makes up for it. Then study one or two of Bacons paintings and talk about how much you like his work. Look at the study of Pope Innocent x which you can then link it to Velazques pope innocent x (they love the auld linking the painters!) If Bacon too heavy for you to study stick to Yeats.... starts with watercolour and develope into abstract oils.
    If the question goes to setting up an exhibition in your school then just talk about the same stuff.
    1. Lighting, Labelling, Dedicated space possibly the gym, information on the artists (students) beside their work, also a label with the name of the piece and the medium used. Talk about how you would use directional lighting, send out invitations to the community, an opening night, students could stand by their work and answer any questions, a price list, red stickers if anything is sold. The exhibition itself you could seperate the work with wooden panels, have plynts or stands for 3d. Make the space interesting. Remember if they ask in the question about an exhibition with another subject just treat it the same, science you would set up experiments and wall charts, projects that the students did....its easy just use your cop on. Oh yea dont forget about disabled accesss. The other thing to remember is there is 10 marks for illustrations in all art history questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

Oops wrong thread :p

I'd say learn Irish art (Bronze Age and Stone Age), all Romanesque and Gothic as they tend to vary them every year! And you'll get through appreciation handy enough!

I'm dreading it too :(

keejoe wrote: »
    more than likely the gallery question will come up but be careful they like to vary it so the question may not be about a main gallery but possibly an exhibition, you may be asked to put up in your school with another dept.

...gulp. Dreading an exhibition q. will come up now :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11 craigb93

i havent done di vinci :/ but ill prob go for what Kmc said so thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jmclee

I CAN'T BULL**** IN ART! If my gallery q doesn't come up like I've prepared im doooomed

• Registered Users Posts: 22 SmurfOxide

I thought Newgrange came up last year. I have been completely ignoring it.
    i am praying for something on high crosses, Romanesque or Gothic or both, and a gallery question that doesn't completely confuse me. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 keejoe

If you dont like the gallery question, which I think is the easiest. Just remember if its something like the design of a moblie phone, just break your answer into.....male, female, older, twentysomething, teen and pre teen. Each one likes different colours an example would be the middle aged woman would like something sophisticated in possibly gold and black (chanel colours), black or grey for the man, teens like active colours like themselvs! orange or pink, or a multi colour. Colours say a lot about us. what shape of a phone would theses people like ......shape of a football for a young lad!. Just look around your family and friends and think of what they would like. And consider how easy the phone would be for someone with difficulty in holding it. This answer can be tailored to a lot of things....shampoo bottles etc. Remember dont look for the question that seems the easiest ask yourself how much can I write on this, an examiner cannot give you marks for empty lines. DONT FORGET THE ILLUSTRATIONS and label them

• Registered Users Posts: 30 flerg

For HIGHER LEVEL Revise everything but in particular and if you have time, or no time at all revise...

Bronze and Iron age and Christian metalwork Ardagh chalice (religious) and Tara brooch (secular - non religious)

Giotto and Cimabue
    Caravaggio
    Gislebertus
    Impressionism (Monet)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ImFudged

I dont think leonardo will come up as a question on his own, id say it will be michelangelo/rapheal and then asked another high renaissance artist, or something like that. Judging by past years anyway.
    Also.. C'MON Botticelli

SmurfOxide wrote: »
    I thought Newgrange came up last year. I have been completely ignoring it.
    i am praying for something on high crosses, Romanesque or Gothic or both, and a gallery question that doesn't completely confuse me. Fingers crossed!

Yeah but so did the Bronze age/iron age? Well they were mixed together...

Praying for newgrange, romanesque and a nice gallery Q!

Can anyone tell me what the question means when it asks "what is the relationship between Gothic architecture and sculpture"? And do questions have to be answered in order in which they are asked? If part a) asked about a sculpture and part b) asked about a cathedral, can I just write about b) first?

• Advertisement

SeanMadd wrote: »
    Yeah but so did the Bronze age/iron age? Well they were mixed together...

Praying for newgrange, romanesque and a nice gallery Q!

Can anyone tell me what the question means when it asks "what is the relationship between Gothic architecture and sculpture"? And do questions have to be answered in order in which they are asked? If part a) asked about a sculpture and part b) asked about a cathedral, can I just write about b) first?

You just need to compare them. Apparently you can use a grid for some of it as long as you go into detail after. But yeah you just compare. And maybe talk about how they work together, if you get me.
    As for the last bit, I'm not 100% sure but I would just go with the order just to be safe. They will still mark it, but the way I look at it is that if I make it as easy for the examiner to read and understand as I can then maybe they will favour me more than if they have to spend ages trying to decipher my answer. Like, they might want to give me marks a little more.
    Good luck in your exam!:)

You just need to compare them. Apparently you can use a grid for some of it as long as you go into detail after. But yeah you just compare. And maybe talk about how they work together, if you get me.
    As for the last bit, I'm not 100% sure but I would just go with the order just to be safe. They will still mark it, but the way I look at it is that if I make it as easy for the examiner to read and understand as I can then maybe they will favour me more than if they have to spend ages trying to decipher my answer. Like, they might want to give me marks a little more.
    Good luck in your exam!:)

Pff, lick arse ;) Haha jk :pac: Awh I much prefer talking about architecture first.. but oh well! How long is everyone else's art essays in general? I don't think mine were too long in the mocks? Could have been 2 1/2 pages, maybe 3 with sketches? :confused:

SeanMadd wrote: »
    Pff, lick arse ;) Haha jk :pac: Awh I much prefer talking about architecture first.. but oh well! How long is everyone else's art essays in general? I don't think mine were too long in the mocks? Could have been 2 1/2 pages, maybe 3 with sketches? :confused:

We were told to aim for at least 2 pages not including sketches.
    Hope I am helping, not stalking you either just keep refreshing a whole load of these out of sheer boredom. It's this or study for french so..

We were told to aim for at least 2 pages not including sketches.
    Hope I am helping, not stalking you either just keep refreshing a whole load of these out of sheer boredom. It's this or study for french so..

Oh right grand! I think my mock answers were about that anyway, there's not much you can really go on about unless you regurgitate the book :rolleyes: ... I didn't think you were stalking me until you just said it.. :eek: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Aisling_boss

Please let botcelli come up, or Da vinci. Im scr*wed for irish art and the gallery question just isnt going into my head! Can one of ye well prepared people do it for me???? :P

Is there any keywords I can use to get me through the exam?! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Can't get Irish section into my head at all :/ weirdly enough I thought it'd be European I'd have problems on :O
    High crosses? Please :(:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Noniestafford

I'm just studying Bronze and Iron age, Gothic and Romanesque and the Gallery question... These topics come up practically every year. Do you think it's enough or should I cram in Stone Crosses? 3hours left and I'm stressing out! I want an A and after all these posts I think I've taken a huge gamble!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Aisling_boss

Hell yes first year Leonardo Da Vinci came up! I cried! What was with the Gallery quetion? I think I managed to answer it alright, but Im not sure. The irish section was awful, couldnt remember the names of anythin at all! I got 3 pages from question 2 so hopefully i will get some marks, even if all the information was incorrect!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Noniestafford

Hell yes first year Leonardo Da Vinci came up! I cried! What was with the Gallery quetion? I think I managed to answer it alright, but Im not sure. The irish section was awful, couldnt remember the names of anythin at all! I got 3 pages from question 2 so hopefully i will get some marks, even if all the information was incorrect!

I did the question two in the Irish section as well! I hadn't a clue what the second picture was but the rest of the essay was ok.. Gallery question was just a heap of bull really... And I came out crying for different reasons to you haha .. There goes my A..

Advertisement