Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Art History Predictions?

Options
  • 24-05-2012 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭

What do you think will come up? I've heard that Newgrange might and praying that Romanesque does too. Also, does anyone know if a Gallery Q in Section 3 definitely comes up every year? I'm wondering if I'll be grand with that or should I do public sculpture?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 laurenm94

My teacher is convinced Irish crosses, Leonardo da vinci and Giotto are going to come up. Anyone else?
    Gallery question comes up every year but my teacher always said to be wary as sometimes its not as straight forward and they ask you to make comparisons between exhibitions or ask a very specific question that could be difficult to answer just to throw people off. I have a film essay as a back up as thats the only other form of appreciation we've donw in class...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I've been told Georgian Architecture comes up every year, so I've began to study that myself. We've never done any pre christian art or anything like that, just artists in the Irish section and European. No architecture either. I know Graffiti came up in 2010, it would be just perfect if it came up again this year for me!

If you study one part of each section you should be grand. I'm only studying georgian architecture for the irish section and renaissance for the european!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭SeanMadd

laurenm94 wrote: »
    My teacher is convinced Irish crosses, Leonardo da vinci and Giotto are going to come up. Anyone else?
    Gallery question comes up every year but my teacher always said to be wary as sometimes its not as straight forward and they ask you to make comparisons between exhibitions or ask a very specific question that could be difficult to answer just to throw people off. I have a film essay as a back up as thats the only other form of appreciation we've donw in class...

Yeah I've heard of Irish crosses too! Really hoping someone has heard that Romanesque will come up :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jmclee

For appreciation all I have prepared is gallery so I hope it doesn't throw me off

For Irish I'm just doin bronze age iron age newgrange and manuscripts, that be enough?

european- Romanesque, gothic, giotto, donatello, botticelli, impressionism and massacio, again do yous think I'd be sorted with that?

I wonder how hard they mark it

• Advertisement

jmclee wrote: »
    For appreciation all I have prepared is gallery so I hope it doesn't throw me off

For Irish I'm just doin bronze age iron age newgrange and manuscripts, that be enough?

european- Romanesque, gothic, giotto, donatello, botticelli, impressionism and massacio, again do yous think I'd be sorted with that?

You'd be grand without the manuscripts I'd say, 'cos the rest is section 1 ;)

SeanMadd wrote: »

You'd be grand without the manuscripts I'd say, 'cos the rest is section 1 ;)

What dyou mean, manuscripts are section 1 too? :S

What dyou mean, manuscripts are section 1 too? :S

Sorry I meant that they're one area from section 1! But sure if you want to cover more then do it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Astrozombies

manuscripts came up last year and so did donatello and Romanesque and gothic architecture so there's no point in studying any of that really!
    Best bet would be to stick to newgrange, stone crosses, bronze age, iron age, and then giotto, massachio, leonardo da vinci and impressionism :)

manuscripts came up last year and so did donatello and Romanesque and gothic architecture so there's no point in studying any of that really!
    Best bet would be to stick to newgrange, stone crosses, bronze age, iron age, and then giotto, massachio, leonardo da vinci and impressionism :)

Noooo I love Romanesque compared to Gothic! :O Ha! So would Gothic be more likely then? Are you sure art follows the pattern of 'this came up last year so it won't this year'? And what impressionists are you betting on? I'm thinking Monet or Degas.

• Advertisement

Romanesque and gothic could come up together sure so I'd need it then, it's one that comes up quite regularly so I'd worry bout leaving it out! And for donatello he could be appropriate for an open question like if they asked for a figurative sculptor

Romanesque and gothic could come up together sure so I'd need it then, it's one that comes up quite regularly so I'd worry bout leaving it out! And for donatello he could be appropriate for an open question like if they asked for a figurative sculptor

Ah feck I hate that comparing question :/ Think I'll just do Gothic and look over Romanesque, and do Monet and Degas for section 2. Praying I'll be fine with a gallery question too :D Is anyone learning off essays, or just facts/notes? Should it be easy enough to adapt to a question? I think they're all kind of general anyway..(Not sure, I don't have papers..)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 PTheArtist

You're almost guarenteed a question on Romanesque and/or Gothic so I wouldn't leave it out because it came up last year.

For Section 2 I have Romanesque and Gothic covered, along with Giotto, Masaccio, Bottichelli, Ucello, Leonardo da Vinci, and Michelangelo. Hoping a question on Leonardo will come up, or Giotto!

I'm sticking with Bronze Age,Iron Age, and High Christian Ireland artefacts for Section 1, with Jack B. Yeats, Sean Keating, Paul Henry and Martin Gale for a backup plan. Might look over Newgrange, but there definately should be a question on Bronze/Iron Age or High Christian Ireland objects (Ardagh Chalice, Tara Brooch and Derrynaflan Paten.)

If the gallery question ends up being very awkward for some reason, I'll either go for the film question or if there's a question on magazine cover designs or something that involves typography.

PTheArtist wrote: »
    You're almost guarenteed a question on Romanesque and/or Gothic so I wouldn't leave it out because it came up last year.

For Section 2 I have Romanesque and Gothic covered, along with Giotto, Masaccio, Bottichelli, Ucello, Leonardo da Vinci, and Michelangelo. Hoping a question on Leonardo will come up, or Giotto!

I'm sticking with Bronze Age,Iron Age, and High Christian Ireland artefacts for Section 1, with Jack B. Yeats, Sean Keating, Paul Henry and Martin Gale for a backup plan. Might look over Newgrange, but there definately should be a question on Bronze/Iron Age or High Christian Ireland objects (Ardagh Chalice, Tara Brooch and Derrynaflan Paten.)

If the gallery question ends up being very awkward for some reason, I'll either go for the film question or if there's a question on magazine cover designs or something that involves typography.

Oh my god you've so much covered :O And me, doing the bare minimum :P I was going to do Botticelli, but just forgot about art for a while..I really like his work, and he seems to be coming up every 3 years so it's a possibility! I'm doing the gallery because I've no idea how to do the others. How do you know? Do you have notes? Also for Impressionism can someone explain the whole style, composition.. Thing in the marking scheme? I haven't done it so I need to understand them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 quirrell93

yeah see me and my friend thought we were pretty safe just learning off romanesque and gothic architecture, but now we're not so sure coz it doesnt come up EVERY year.! are any of ye doing just georgian for the irish section.?

PTheArtist wrote: »

Oh my god you've so much covered :O And me, doing the bare minimum :P I was going to do Botticelli, but just forgot about art for a while..I really like his work, and he seems to be coming up every 3 years so it's a possibility! I'm doing the gallery because I've no idea how to do the others. How do you know? Do you have notes? Also for Impressionism can someone explain the whole style, composition.. Thing in the marking scheme? I haven't done it so I need to understand them!

Wow you do have so much you're sorted for sure, actually about Giotto can I ask how you find drawing his paintings for illustrations?! Ive never done it but they look impossible cos kiss of judas and deposition of Christ involves like a crowd of figures I think mine would be appalling, particularly from memory..

Thing is I didn't study for my art mock until that morning cos I had bio on same day and I still got a B2? I seriously had such limited knowledge but just waffled about any facts I could remember, I wonder if I just had a sound examiner

I really don't think I'd be good at winging a question on appreciation section, like a film, I'd love like a glossary of fancy art terms or words to use if I was put in the position of making up an answer there
    Neeeeed gallery
    And I learn from essays mostly, just one short one per topic

quirrell93 wrote: »
    yeah see me and my friend thought we were pretty safe just learning off romanesque and gothic architecture, but now we're not so sure coz it doesnt come up EVERY year.! are any of ye doing just georgian for the irish section.?

I looked through the past papers(from examinations.ie) and Gothic or Romanesque has come up every year since 2003. I'm talking about it generally, not just architecture like you mentioned. If you learned sculpture too you'd be grand.
    Wow you do have so much you're sorted for sure, actually about Giotto can I ask how you find drawing his paintings for illustrations?! Ive never done it but they look impossible cos kiss of judas and deposition of Christ involves like a crowd of figures I think mine would be appalling, particularly from memory..

Thing is I didn't study for my art mock until that morning cos I had bio on same day and I still got a B2? I seriously had such limited knowledge but just waffled about any facts I could remember, I wonder if I just had a sound examiner

I really don't think I'd be good at winging a question on appreciation section, like a film, I'd love like a glossary of fancy art terms or words to use if I was put in the position of making up an answer there
    Neeeeed gallery

I know, I need a nice gallery Q! I was looking through the papers and some questions are like :eek: Like comparing to a small scale gallery, how it influenced your artwork.. one part of the gallery Q said discuss the characteristics of a good catalogue :confused: I was thinking of doing public sculpture too but I'm not sure how to tackle that question.

I'm wondering why everyone is betting on Da Vinci to come up? Also is Lucien Freud on the course? Because he died last summer and my teacher thinks he might come up? Also Botticelli seems to be coming up every 3 years since 2003, so he's a possibility :rolleyes: Ohh, and does anyone know if there are art papers for 2002 online?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Aisling_boss

I think that the high crosses will deinatly come up because there was an exhibition on them this year so the are very topical. Just worried I might get marked down if I use them in both section one and section three :confused:

Im studying the Renaissance becauce thats always up every year, mostly in the "choose a work that fits into this title...." question. But i will also have degas as a backup incase i get stuck :D

I think that the high crosses will deinatly come up because there was an exhibition on them this year so the are very topical. Just worried I might get marked down if I use them in both section one and section three :confused:

Im studying the Renaissance becauce thats always up every year, mostly in the "choose a work that fits into this title...." question. But i will also have degas as a backup incase i get stuck :D

What artists/sculptors are you doing?

High crosses has a good chance of coming up, Ive visited several in 5th year so they're actually quite stuck in my head. I've learnt off all the renaissance painters from the mocks; Leonardo, Michaelangelo, Bottichelli(unfortunately lost these fab notes so it's gonna be a pain in the hole writing them out again!), Giotto, Massacio. Just need to go over them and learn off Raphael, but I'd say Leonardo will come up, he HAS to. And I've to go over impressionism! Need to learn off renoir.

As for Irish art, Ive covered Newgrange, BronzeAge and some high crosses. I still need to learn off Pre-christian, however ... and thats basically all we learned on Irish art :/

As for the Gallery Question, think Ill learn it off the night before, that and film.

• Advertisement

I looked through the past papers(from examinations.ie) and Gothic or Romanesque has come up every year since 2003. I'm talking about it generally, not just architecture like you mentioned. If you learned sculpture too you'd be grand.

I know, I need a nice gallery Q! I was looking through the papers and some questions are like :eek: Like comparing to a small scale gallery, how it influenced your artwork.. one part of the gallery Q said discuss the characteristics of a good catalogue :confused: I was thinking of doing public sculpture too but I'm not sure how to tackle that question.

I'm wondering why everyone is betting on Da Vinci to come up? Also is Lucien Freud on the course? Because he died last summer and my teacher thinks he might come up? Also Botticelli seems to be coming up every 3 years since 2003, so he's a possibility :rolleyes: Ohh, and does anyone know if there are art papers for 2002 online?

For the small scale art gallery definately do either Adam's Auctions or The Gormely Gallery in Dublin http://www.gormleys.ie/ it houses small pieces by often well known irish artists.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Aisling_boss

High crosses has a good chance of coming up, Ive visited several in 5th year so they're actually quite stuck in my head. I've learnt off all the renaissance painters from the mocks; Leonardo, Michaelangelo, Bottichelli(unfortunately lost these fab notes so it's gonna be a pain in the hole writing them out again!), Giotto, Massacio. Just need to go over them and learn off Raphael, but I'd say Leonardo will come up, he HAS to. And I've to go over impressionism! Need to learn off renoir.

As for Irish art, Ive covered Newgrange, BronzeAge and some high crosses. I still need to learn off Pre-christian, however ... and thats basically all we learned on Irish art :/

As for the Gallery Question, think Ill learn it off the night before, that and film.

I'm doing all thoose Renaissance painters too, and all the mentioned Irish art. I have the Model art gallery as a back up gallery in case the small scale art gallery comes up again, as well as the nation gallery in Collins Barracks

• Registered Users Posts: 32 PTheArtist

Yeah Bottichelli would be a nice question to have on the paper! I have notes on film yes, mainly about the film Avatar, but the film question is nearly always about animated films (Pixar Films) and other films that use alot of special effects (Harry Potter for example). For the film question you need to know what type of film techniques are used such as green screening, 3D animation software along with a movie's soundtrack, ambience and so on rather than telling what happens in the film. It can be a risky question to do if you don't talk alot about film making techniques. I'm hoping to do Graphic Design in art college in Limerick next year, so I usually bluff my way through the graphic design type questions if I'm stuck!

Neeeeed gallery

I particularly don't like drawing paintings that have a lot of figures in them either, but for The Kiss Of Judas, you would be fine if you drew the crowd from the top of your head, just shaded the further figures darker to show perspective, and draw the long stakes and torchs they're holding. The main figures you need to get is Jesus, Judas, and the man with his back turned to us, and just draw the closer figures from the crowd in more detail (long robes with foldings, angry expressions, pointing)

Are you sticking with the gallery question? I learn from bullet pointed essays, leaving room for spme extra waffle. Film can be a be tricky. If you feel uncomfortable with the gallery question, go to Wikipedia and pick out some good film making techniques, especially for animation and special effects.

Can someone explain how to write about paintings for questions like Impressionism?don't you have to do style, composition, technique.. Etc? If anyone can explain please let me know!

Is anyone doing public sculpture? Dunno if I should bother or not..

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cherriiee

well for the rennaisance i noticed that Sandro Botticelli comes up every three years. since 2000, he came up in 2003,2006,2009 so mayb 2012??
    any other suggestions for the rennaisance?:confused:

If you just study all renaissance you are guaranteed 4 questions (Q9-Q11 and the option q, usually Q14 in section 2 so I suggest concentrating on that! They nearly always ask a question from the big three artists (michelangelo, raphael, leonardo) except for I think one year!
    Leonardo has NEVER come up on the higher level paper but it came up last year on the ordinary. My teacher mentioned that usually when things come up on the ordinary paper they come up on the higher paper the next year!

Anyone know how a visit to a art gallery would "enhance my practical work"? what would I say in that situation? Also, what is the relationship between gothic sculpture and architecture?

Honestly feel I've feckall done for art. I'm doing Newgrange, bronze age, Iron age, Romanesque, Gothic, Degas, Monet, Renoir, Gallery and Public sculpture. Is that enough? Also what is required for romanesque and gothic? 1 sculpture and 1 architecture each?

Anyone know how a visit to a art gallery would "enhance my practical work"? what would I say in that situation? Also, what is the relationship between gothic sculpture and architecture?

Honestly feel I've feckall done for art. I'm doing Newgrange, bronze age, Iron age, Romanesque, Gothic, Degas, Monet, Renoir, Gallery and Public sculpture. Is that enough? Also what is required for romanesque and gothic? 1 sculpture and 1 architecture each?

I haven't looked at art, grand night before job, cos I won't be doing business on that day and then it doesn't start till 2, yeah I'd say you're well covered, I dont know how to answer specific questions either but sure I'll sort that out on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Wanchor

I haven't looked at art, grand night before job, cos I won't be doing business on that day and then it doesn't start till 2, yeah I'd say you're well covered, I dont know how to answer specific questions either but sure I'll sort that out on the day

I'm blitzing it much like yourself on the day before. The Less Stress, more Success in art history is quite concise and small so it's great for a last minute job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭CiaranK

I have Newgrange, Knowth and Dowth covered pretty well, Visited at the start of the year.

I have Romanesque and Gothic almost done

I have a Gallery question sorted out well too.

I'm gonna do Iron age/Bronze age too for Irish and a I visited some crosses too so I could have a question on that nearly covered.

Think that would be enough?

Advertisement