Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Open 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,532 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

walshb wrote: »
    Novak 2 sets to nil up! Yes!

As usual Federer's unforced eror count is killing him. So hope Novak wins now. Hate to see Federer win and then lose in the final due to all his unforced errors.

Federer just threw the second set away ,3 times he broke Djokovic and he couldnt follow it up.
    He was 4-2 and 40-15 up on Djokovics serve but blew it.

He has looked nervous right from the start .
    Djokovic is just foraging and keeping the ball in play while Federer is the aggressor and is making too many unforced errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

Nothing is goin right for Federer

• Registered Users Posts: 54,595 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Federer just threw the second set away ,3 times he broke Djokovic and he couldnt follow it up.
    He was 4-2 and 40-15 up on Djokovics serve but blew it.

He has looked nervous right from the start .
    Djokovic is just foraging and keeping the ball in play while Federer is the aggressor and is making too many unforced errors.

Story of Fed's recent career. Just too inconsistent. I always root for him but I want to see a real competitive final tomorrow, and to me, Novak will bring that.

Novak wraps it up. 6/4; 7/5; 6/3!

Federer's unforced error count was 45. Novak's was 14.

they were two one sided semi finals..hope the final is a classic.

Story of Fed's recent career. Just too inconsistent. I always root for him but I want to see a real competitive final tomorrow, and to me, Novak will bring that.

Too inconsistent but I think its fair to say that he will struggle to win another Grand Slam primarily due to how slow the courts are now.
    Its almost impossible to put the ball away against Nadal and Djokovic who are so fast ,its favouring the grinders too much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I hope Nadal v Djokovic is another classic.

I think Nadal will do it, but if anyone is going to beat him, it's Djokovic. I don't think Federer would have had a chance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Skid wrote: »

I think Nadal will do it, but if anyone is going to beat him, it's Djokovic. I don't think Federer would have had a chance.

I'd like to see Djokovic win but he hasn't a chance, I expect an easy straight sets victory for Nadal. I would love to see the final between this Nadal and 2011 djokovic, that would be epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I'd like to see Djokovic win but he hasn't a chance, I expect an easy straight sets victory for Nadal. I would love to see the final between this Nadal and 2011 djokovic, that would be epic.

Kind of agree here, Novak was always going to be a stiffer test than Federer but I don't think its possible for Novak or anyone to take 3 sets of Rafa on clay when he is in this sort of form.

I think its likely that we will have 2 one sided finals.:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

Skid wrote: »

I agree with you, but whether it will a classic like their final match at the Aussies I really doubt it. Like you rightly mentioned, Nadal would have decimated any other player on sunday without a doubt.

I feel Nadal will be too hard to beat on clay not in his current form,but Novak is a beast and can play some insane tennis when pushed to the edge. I think it will be down to their state of mind, if Nadal can overcome his previous losses to Novak and show 100% concentration, Novak does not have a chance. Rafa will surely be tested on sunday, especially in the opening set, how he deals with it will determine the outcome of the match.

It is time the rivalry is sorted out, If Novak wins he will not only make history but he will dominate men's tennis for a very long time to come. If Nadal wins, he will be the undisputed best clay court player ever and will have the momentum to go on and win other majors and maybe equal or surpass Fed's 16 grand slam wins.

I'd say bring on Sunday!

Bad and all as people in the media are saying Federer played ,he led by a break in set 1 and blew set 1. He led by 2 breaks in set 2 and blew set 2.
    Djokovic hasnt impressed at all in this tournament and Nadal should win on Sunday.

• Advertisement

That's a bit too sure, no? Novak has shown that he has Nadal's number over a 5 set slam match. He has also beaten him several times on clay over 3 sets. He well has the beatings of him.

The guy is a born winner, and if on form on Sunday he sure can win this. Novak may not be at the absolute 2011 level, but you don't get to the French Final unless you're are on very good form. Last year he didn't get to the final. I think this is a very close one. I will make Nadal a warm favourite, but if Novak gets set 1, I could see him win.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭_petulia_

Too bad Federer couldn't close out the second set today. I wasn't expecting him to win but I thought it would be a bit closer and go to a fourth set.

I hope Nadal wins on Sunday. He deserves to based on how he has been playing for the past two weeks.

That's a bit too sure, no? Novak has shown that he has Nadal's number over a 5 set slam match. He has also beaten him several times on clay over 3 sets. He well has the beatings of him.

The guy is a born winner, and if on form on Sunday he sure can win this. Novak may not be at the absolute 2011 level, but you don't get to the French Final unless you're are on very good form. Last year he didn't get to the final. I think this is a very close one. I will make Nadal a warm favourite, but if Novak gets set 1, I could see him win.

Agree with some your points there, Novak has won their last 3 grand slam meetings, two of them in 2011.

However you are wrong with all other assertions, Djokovic has never beaten Nadal on clay over 3 sets- Nadal has a 11-2 advantage over Novak on clay, the two matches he has beaten Nadal on clay was last year((2011, when he was in an incredible form)) in Rome and Madrid- all in 2 sets. And as for your claim that Novak has Nadal's number over a 5 set slam match- seriously?? That has only happened once and that was at the Aussie Open earlier this year which was a very very close match.

Novak is a born winner but so is Nadal, Fed, Sampras, Aggasi, Borg etc etc . I agree Novak didnt get to the Finals by accident, of course he has proved he is phenomenal tennis player- right there on top of the table BUT I think you might be over playing his record over Nadal.

I sincerely can't call this match, so many variables involved- state of mind, confidence, determination, the weather, luck, the crowd etc BUT if it is based on talent, expertise and ability on the clay court- there would be only 1 winner- Nadal. No doubt!

KINGVictor wrote: »
    Agree with some your points there, Novak has won their last 3 grand slam meetings, two of them in 2011.

However you are wrong with all other assertions, Djokovic has never beaten Nadal on clay over 3 sets- Nadal has a 11-2 advantage over Novak on clay, the two matches he has beaten Nadal on clay was last year((2011, when he was in an incredible form)) in Rome and Madrid- all in 2 sets. And as for your claim that Novak has Nadal's number over a 5 set slam match- seriously?? That has only happened once and that was at the Aussie Open earlier this year which was a very very close match.

Novak is a born winner but so is Nadal, Fed, Sampras, Aggasi, Borg etc etc . I agree Novak didnt get to the Finals by accident, of course he has proved he is phenomenal tennis player- right there on top of the table BUT I think you might be over playing his record over Nadal.

I sincerely can't call this match, so many variables involved- state of mind, confidence, determination, the weather, luck, the crowd etc BUT if it is based on talent, expertise and ability on the clay court- there would be only 1 winner- Nadal. No doubt!

My reference to 5 sets and 3 sets was "best of." I should have made that clearer. Novak has clay wins over best of 3 sets and has slam wins recently over best of 5 sets.

BTW, the Aussie win over 5 sets was close on the scoreboard but to me Novak always looked better and stronger.

As for only one winner based on talent and expertise on clay? No doubt? Well, explain the two clay wins in 2011 for Novak? Nadal is awesome on clay, but beatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Disappointing SFs. I seen Nadal-Ferrer and Federer-Djokovic, I thought "Wow, these matches are gonna be amazing!!" But...didn't happen that way!:(

On a brighter note, Sara Errani & Roberta Vinci overcame Nadia Petrova & Maria Kirilenko in 3 sets, 4-6, 6-4, 6-2, to win the Women's Doubles title. Congrats!!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMNZ_h8huGsFA6gvsKanaN86DgtBUBfgnlR8Bnh07Mk8QId4-Cow

Saturday 10 June Order of Play

Women's Final
    [2] Maria Sharapova VS. [21] Sara Errani

Men's Doubles Final
    [1] Max Miryni & Daniel Nestor VS. [2] Bob & Mike Bryan

Play kicks off at 2pm (GMT)

My reference to 5 sets and 3 sets was "best of." I should have made that clearer. Novak has clay wins over best of 3 sets and has slam wins recently over best of 5 sets.

BTW, the Aussie win over 5 sets was close on the scoreboard but to me Novak always looked better and stronger.

As for only one winner based on talent and expertise on clay? No doubt? Well, explain the two clay wins in 2011 for Novak? Nadal is awesome on clay, but beatable.

Thanks for clearing that up- I should have copped on. However you still exaggerated when you said Novak has beaten Nadal several times on clay, he has only beaten Nadal twice on clay - all in 2011 when he was in an incredible form that has since dipped.

Your view on their match at the Aussie finals is your own interpretation, I felt it marked a shift- a turning point if you like from Novak's dominance over Nadal in their previous encounters. That was the only time it took Novak 5 sets to defeat Nadal, unlike the Wimbledon and the US open where he strolled to win both finals in 4 sets.

I never said he was unbeatable on clay- no one is. But only one man has beaten him in Roland Garros. As for his 2 defeats to Novak on clay in 2011, he lost those matches even before they were played, Novak had a psychological hold on him at the time but you have remember that he was regained both the Rome and Madrid Clay titles by beating- guess who? Novak. That is what I meant by talent and expertise.

2012 French Open Champion, Maria Sharapova!!

A really good match! Even though Maria won it 6-3, 6-2 it was quite competitive and lasted 1 hr & 29 mins. When Errani upped her game, Maria matched her and usually went one better. The Italian has nothing to be ashamed of; she played so well and both players brought out the best in each other!

I was impressed with Maria's movement on court, especially when running towards the net after Errani knocked over drop-shots. She managed to reach the majority of them and win the point. Some really good rallies too!

Pretty funny before the presentation when the announcer mistakenly named Sharapova as runner-up & Errani's reaction!:D

Maria Sharapova now one of ten women to achieve the Career Grand Slam, following in the footsteps of Steffi Graf, Martina Navratilova, Chris Evert, Billie Jean King, Margaret Court, Maureen Connolly, Doris Hart, Shirley Fry Irvin, & Serena Williams.

Thanks for clearing that up- I should have copped on. However you still exaggerated when you said Novak has beaten Nadal several times on clay, he has only beaten Nadal twice on clay - all in 2011 when he was in an incredible form that has since dipped.

Your view on their match at the Aussie finals is your own interpretation, I felt it marked a shift- a turning point if you like from Novak's dominance over Nadal in their previous encounters. That was the only time it took Novak 5 sets to defeat Nadal, unlike the Wimbledon and the US open where he strolled to win both finals in 4 sets.

I never said he was unbeatable on clay- no one is. But only one man has beaten him in Roland Garros. As for his 2 defeats to Novak on clay in 2011, he lost those matches even before they were played, Novak had a psychological hold on him at the time but you have remember that he was regained both the Rome and Madrid Clay titles by beating- guess who? Novak. That is what I meant by talent and expertise.

Monte Carlo and Rome?

I could easily say it was Novak's talent and expertise on clay in 2011 if you want to use this as a reason as to why Nadal won the last two clay matches.

And, the last win over Novak was an under par Novak. Didn't a relative pass away that week?

Anyway, looking forward to this match. I need a reliable stream if anyone has one?

Monte Carlo and Rome?

I could easily say it was Novak's talent and expertise on clay in 2011 if you want to use this as a reason as to why Nadal won the last two clay matches.

And, the last win over Novak was an under par Novak. Didn't a relative pass away that week?

Anyway, looking forward to this match. I need a reliable stream if anyone has one?

Livescorehunter.com usually has decent streams.

Or listen to it on the wireless.:) Radio Roland Garros is really good and makes the match sound exciting! Listened to it loads in college last year.

I think that Nadal will win tomorrow. Hard to call it though - both players in good form, especially Rafa. Probably 4 or 5 sets.

I really just want a competitive match, not some crappy old thing!!:P

• Advertisement

Monte Carlo and Rome?

Yes he lost his Grandfather shortly before the Rome Masters which can somewhat explain his loss to Rafa at the Monte Calo Open.

He is a professional tennis player though, he could have easily excluded himself from the tournament if he wasnt in the right state of mind. Nadal had to deal with his parents seperation at the French Open in 2009, he lost to Soderling and he didnt use that as an excuse.

My argument is based on two things;

Firstly, Nadal would have lost any match to Novak in 2011 even if it was played in his hometown in Majorca, he was psychologically defeated before he started any match with Novak at the time.

Secondly, Rafa has "partially overcome" that confidence trap. He is yet to drop a set in the tournament, his serve is so much better, and crucially, only one player has managed to break his serve in the whole tourney- in the first round. Speaks volume!

This is Nadal's territory, he is near perfect at it, even if Novak played his best tennis match ever, he will find it difficult to play Nadal on a slow clay court.

I have explained in a previous post that there are many elements in what will determine the winner tomorrow i.e. weather, crowd, self belief etc....

Anyway I hope(barring any weather disruptions), we would have the results of the match in less than 24 hours. I would go for Nadal in 4 sets.

P.S. I thought I was the only one watching the matches via livescorehunter.com :D but obviously I am wrong. Its a grand site alright but can be slow and chaotic sometimes but its not too bad.

This is Nadal's territory, he is near perfect at it, even if Novak played his best tennis match ever, he will find it difficult to play Nadal on a slow clay court.

Well Djokovic beat him at the Australian Open which has slower courts than Paris,although the bounce is higher at Roland Garros which aids Nadal's topspin shots.

Yes he lost his Grandfather shortly before the Rome Masters which can somewhat explain his loss to Rafa at the Monte Calo Open.

He is a professional tennis player though, he could have easily excluded himself from the tournament if he wasnt in the right state of mind. Nadal had to deal with his parents seperation at the French Open in 2009, he lost to Soderling and he didnt use that as an excuse.

My argument is based on two things;

Firstly, Nadal would have lost any match to Novak in 2011 even if it was played in his hometown in Majorca, he was psychologically defeated before he started any match with Novak at the time.

Secondly, Rafa has "partially overcome" that confidence trap. He is yet to drop a set in the tournament, his serve is so much better, and crucially, only one player has managed to break his serve in the whole tourney- in the first round. Speaks volume!

I have explained in a previous post that there are many elements in what will determine the winner tomorrow i.e. weather, crowd, self belief etc....

Anyway I hope(barring any weather disruptions), we would have the results of the match in less than 24 hours. I would go for Nadal in 4 sets.

P.S. I thought I was the only one watching the matches via livescorehunter.com :D but obviously I am wrong. Its a grand site alright but can be slow and chaotic sometimes but its not too bad.

Well, I watched all their matches in 2011, and I don't see how you can put the losses down mostly to Nadal not being mentally right to beat Novak. That to me is a cop out. They have played 18 or so times or so since 2009 and Novak leads 10-8 I think. So, were all those Nadal losses due to the psychological element, or only the 2011 losses?

I think overall that Novak is a better player and has the perfect blend and style to always cause Nadal major problems. He can compete with Nadal in the power rallies, agility, court coverage and shot placement. He seems that bit stronger, as well as every bit as fit. The Aussie Open showed to me that Novak was stronger and the one mainly controlling the rallies. Sure, Nadal got two sets and made it close, but overall it was Novak who was the boss.

I agree that RGs clay court will suit Rafael that bit more, as it's slower, but I think Novak is on form now, peaking at this tournament, and that he will make this ultra close and possibly win.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

C'mon Rafa!

let the battle begin.

RosyLily wrote: »
    Livescorehunter.com usually has decent streams.

Not working, Rosy!

Anyone copy me a link to watch this online? Thanks

Having to settle for paddypower scoring. Nadla's serve broken for the second time in the whole tournament!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

We could have an epic one on our hands here. Revising novaks chances up, he looks like he's finding his top form.

Novaks forehand looks to have the snap, crackle and pop of 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Novak looked a firm second for the opening 20 minutes or so, but the match has evened out a little bit since. Still very early to call it but as would be expected Nadal has shown he has an edge over him.

• Advertisement

Not working, Rosy!

Anyone copy me a link to watch this online? Thanks
    http://www.vipbox.tv/sports/tennis.html
    try this one.

Advertisement